TerraTech Skins

Exund

Fancy Modder
Somewhere in space, near my Techs (Switzerland)
Regarding that
Anything that you can find in the asset must be kept secret and textures/models/Sounds/Text assets and so on are owned by Payload Studios and can't be shared

The installers (from UABE) are allowed since it doesn't include the original file

Assets modification are under the same rules as Mods in terms of sharing and must stay kid friendly

Cleecayce

Regarding that
Anything that you can find in the asset must be kept secret and textures/models/Sounds/Text assets and so on are owned by Payload Studios and can't be shared

The installers (from UABE) are allowed since it doesn't include the original file

Assets modification are under the same rules as Mods in terms of sharing and must stay kid friendly
Absolutely

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
If only you could change the models and add your own :(
I don't think it would be too difficult actually. You can get the meshes if you have the proper tools. The tricky part might be to get the textures aligned properly, and also some animation stuff for some of the other blocks.

I'm not totally sure, since I haven't done it before, but I don't see why not since I can access them just as easily as the textures.

It'easier than you might think,

Download the latest release/beta of Unity Asset Bundle Extractor (UABE)
Extract the zip into a folder
open UABE AssetBundleExtractor.exe
on the top left, click file -> open
navigate to where you installed terra tech then go to TerraTechWin64_Data then click resources.assets
give it a second to scan the assets...
I downloaded the extractor and opened the resources.assets file with it like you said, but this popped up:

Capture555.PNG

Is anyone able to help?

Last edited:

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
Working with transparency can be really annoying if you don't know what you are doing, since messing with transparency can mess with things in the game. Textures have the colors of stuff, but also stuff like how the blocks shine, and some other stuff. The transparency of a texture is part of what affects this, so if you want to work with textures, you will want to know how to avoid messing up the transparency.

For those wanting to make your own textures, I figured out a thing. I kinda feel stupid for not knowing about it before, and it's probably obvious for some of you, but for people who don't know much about image editing software, this will probably be useful, and you might not know about it like I didn't (and really should have, since I've taken classes on this stuff.......).

So, I'm using GIMP, because it is free and pretty good. Not sure what the process is for other programs like Paint.net and the like, but they are probably pretty similar.

Here is GIMP with the venture texture opened up:

If you've ever messed with GIMP and other editors before, you know that the checkerboard stuff represents transparency. This is also known as the alpha channel. When working with RGB images, which you almost always are, you also have a red channel, a green channel, and a blue channel. These other 3 aren't important for this, but the alpha channel definitely is, so we need to get to the channels to disable it.

When it's not disabled, using any of the brushes will mess up the transparency. For example:

Notice how you don't see any checkerboard stuff where the black is over the white line. That means you made that part of the texture opaque, and that's no good.

Now, you could go through and figure out the exact transparency of each and every bit of transparent texture and change the opacity of the brush accordingly, but that's a terrible and tedious way to do it. The much easier way is to un-select the alpha channel so you can't edit it.

To do this (with the default GIMP workspace), go to the window that has your layers.

Notice the tabs at the top. The first tab is your layers, the one with the grey square layered sheets. The channels tab is the one with the colored layered sheets. Click that to go to the channels (and click the layers tab again to go back, when you are done).

Now we can see the channels: Red, Green, Blue, and the one we care about: Alpha.

Notice how each of the channels has a grey background (or in your case, probably, a blue background). This means that editing is enabled for these channels. Clicking each channel disables them from editing, and clicking them again enables them. The eyes show or hide the channel, but that isn't useful for our purposes, at least basic ones.

So, all you need to do is click the alpha channel, and it's disabled from editing!

You are now free to make your beautiful textures for the game and not have to worry about transparency and shininess. No longer are you shackled to your inability to ignore alphas, perpetually stuck with the sorrow of weird shininess, which can change TT slightly but causes horrible effects in other games. You are now a GOD. You now have UNLIMITED TEXTURE EDITING POWER!!!!!

*cough*

I just thought this would be useful to know.

Last edited:

Olli_DXD

Räksmörgås
Working with transparency can be really annoying if you don't know what you are doing, since messing with transparency can mess with things in the game. Textures have the colors of stuff, but also stuff like how the blocks shine, and some other stuff. The transparency of a texture is part of what affects this, so if you want to work with textures, you will want to know how to avoid messing up the transparency.

For those wanting to make your own textures, I figured out a thing. I kinda feel stupid for not knowing about it before, and it's probably obvious for some of you, but for people who don't know much about image editing software, this will probably be useful, and you might not know about it like I didn't (and really should have, since I've taken classes on this stuff.......).

So, I'm using GIMP, because it is free and pretty good. Not sure what the process is for other programs like Paint.net and the like, but they are probably pretty similar.

Here is GIMP with the venture texture opened up:

If you've ever messed with GIMP and other editors before, you know that the checkerboard stuff represents transparency. This is also known as the alpha channel. When working with RGB images, which you almost always are, you also have a red channel, a green channel, and a blue channel. These other 3 aren't important for this, but the alpha channel definitely is, so we need to get to the channels to disable it.

When it's not disabled, using any of the brushes will mess up the transparency. For example:

Notice how you don't see any checkerboard stuff where the black is over the white line. That means you made that part of the texture opaque, and that's no good.

Now, you could go through and figure out the exact transparency of each and every bit of transparent texture and change the opacity of the brush accordingly, but that's a terrible and tedious way to do it. The much easier way is to un-select the alpha channel so you can't edit it.

To do this (with the default GIMP workspace), go to the window that has your layers.

Notice the tabs at the top. The first tab is your layers, the one with the grey square layered sheets. The channels tab is the one with the colored layered sheets. Click that to go to the channels (and click the layers tab again to go back, when you are done).

Now we can see the channels: Red, Green, Blue, and the one we care about: Alpha.

Notice how each of the channels has a grey background (or in your case, probably, a blue background). This means that editing is enabled for these channels. Clicking each channel disables them from editing, and clicking them again enables them. The eyes show or hide the channel, but that isn't useful for our purposes, at least basic ones.

So, all you need to do is click the alpha channel, and it's disabled from editing!

You are now free to make your beautiful textures for the game and not have to worry about transparency and shininess. No longer are you shackled to your inability to ignore alphas, perpetually stuck with the sorrow of weird shininess, which can change TT slightly but causes horrible effects in other games. You are now a GOD. You now have UNLIMITED TEXTURE EDITING POWER!!!!!

*cough*

I just thought this would be useful to know.
Hmmmmm, nice.

Lord Zarnox

Founder of the IFTTES
We need palette swaps of the corporations so they use the GSO colour scheme. It might look a bit confusing using GSO colours for all four corporations (not including Special and EXP), but it would definitely have a unique feeling to it.

Fehn

Artificial and Intelligent
So, could I submit a color scheme that I'd like to see a skin for, and the corp(s) I'd like to see it for?

Cause I have an idea, but not the means or time to execute it.

Cleecayce

1st, are you using the latest 2.x beta?
2nd there are 3 resources.assets files resources.assets.resS, resources.resource, and resources.assets open resources.assets
3rd, if none of that worked, try opening sharedassets0.assets

if any of the above didn't work, I don't know...

matik2002

Just a quick thing I want to state...
@Cleecayce Did you intentionally set the google doc to be available only to people who ask for access or not? If it's the latter then be sure to fix it cause I want to check the skins list without the entire asking for permission...

Cleecayce

Just a quick thing I want to state...
@Cleecayce Did you intentionally set the google doc to be available only to people who ask for access or not? If it's the latter then be sure to fix it cause I want to check the skins list without the entire asking for permission...
I am updating the Document with more skins ATM