TerraTech 1.3.6 update is now available on Steam

Sai Wun

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Aug 13, 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/285920/announcements/detail/1702855647451854681

Hey Prospectors,

Matt here with another update!

There are new areas to test out in the R&D Labs (the new name for the R&D Test Chamber):
  • 14 Unique Campaign Biomes Including Grassland, Rocky Ridge, Mountains, Salt Flats
  • Testing Apparatus area with Speed Trap, Weighing Scales, Damage Calculator

There are also 2 new skin packs to purchase. Each pack includes a brand new skin and a set of bespoke blocks for 2 corporations:
  • To The Stars: Space Race & Roswell (GSO & Better Future)
  • Weapons of War: Iron Hunter & Warbird (Hawkeye & Venture)
Check them out!

Updates to R&D Labs

Important note:
All existing R&D Test Chamber game saves are very likely to load into the new R&D Labs with peculiar consequences; mainly Techs falling from great height or just hanging in the air if they're anchored. So any Techs that you want to keep for the new R&D Labs, please snapshot in the current version 1.3.5 before updating to this version.
  • Updates are currently in progress so do let us know what you think as we refine what we have and add more features to R&D Labs.
  • Some of the new features are:
    • Biome Areas - to test how well your Tech drives on the different terrains.

• Speed Trap - to test how fast your Tech is travelling as it crosses the laser line.

• Weighing Scales - to measure the mass of a Tech or multiple Techs or individual blocks.

• Damage Calculator - see how much damage each weapon causes

Design Tweaks:
  • The GSO Anchored SCU Storage Device has been moved from GSO Grade 3 to GSO Grade 2.
    • It will now appear as a rare mission reward for completing missions from GSO Grade 2 onwards.

Art Tweaks:
  • Graphics options Draw Distance slider has now been extended to almost 3 times the previous distance.

• There are also separate graphics options sliders for Detail Distance and Shadow Distance.
  • The radar has become semi-transparent.

• Translations for new text have been added for Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Spanish.

Last edited:

Rafs

Director-General of GreenTech
Apr 4, 2019
I opted out of Unstable to keep my mods safe and even then my game updated, so you might want to change the description to Stable as that's how it acts like.

Wassaup

Apr 28, 2019
There are also 2 new skin packs to purchase. Each pack includes a brand new skin and a set of bespoke blocks for 2 corporations:
  • To The Stars: Space Race & Roswell (GSO & Better Future)
  • Weapons of War: Iron Hunter & Warbird (Hawkeye & Venture)
...Purchase?...PURCHASE?! This is why we didn't get any more skins for months after the feature was introduced? This why skins made by modders weren't considered? So you can sell them for extra cash?!

Nice! Flippin' beautiful! Really classy move Payload. Those "Triple A" aspirations are shining through! Just like the big boys! After all, this game had DLC before it went gold, so now we have DLC, that's "Just cosmetic"!

When can we expect micro transactions and loot boxes, hmm?

Reactions: Eilminx

Rafs

Apr 4, 2019
Well I was expecting these to be DLC a little after the teasers came live, because they spent man-hours in making new models for each skin, which costs development resources and it goes a bit beyond we modders did with custom skins.
If it's worth it or not I guess each one can decide to buy or not; modded skins will always be there and free (and with the lifted skin limit I intend to make even more).

Also the game is a bit old now so this seems to be natural for development to keep going.

I still hope for more mod support though and hopefully they'll take a look at it next year.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Aug 25, 2018
Yes! Love the new skins. Especially the venture one. I never realized the reason I wasn't a big fan of venture was the color scheme. The silver, yellow, red is gorgeous. Probably going to be playing with a lot more venture.

@Wassaup , I completely... absolutely disagree. This is a budget game made by an indie studio without a lot of other titles out. I'd guess they have 12-20 people total. They're not EA. I've been sortof worried payload might have financial trouble if they didn't figure out a way to monetize the current iteration of TT. Frankly monetizing cosmetics is pretty ethical, all things considered. They aren't withholding any new actual blocks. How loudly would you complain if Payload just simply went out of business? Then there'd be no new content at all. Give 'em a break.

Also for community enjoyment, I whipped these together based on the screen shot. They're not exact, but as close as I can figure. They're quite serviceable techs, actually!
Venture Roadster.png
Venture Spitfire.png

Falchoin

May 30, 2018
No issues with cosmetic DLC here. Folks have been wondering how the devs will continue to make money on a frequently updated game, and optional skin packs sounds like a reasonable choice to me.

Now if corporations or actual content start being DLC only, then I’ll start griping.

Wassaup

Apr 28, 2019
Yes! Love the new skins. Especially the venture one. I never realized the reason I wasn't a big fan of venture was the color scheme. The silver, yellow, red is gorgeous. Probably going to be playing with a lot more venture.

@Wassaup , I completely... absolutely disagree. This is a budget game made by an indie studio without a lot of other titles out. I'd guess they have 12-20 people total. They're not EA. I've been sortof worried payload might have financial trouble if they didn't figure out a way to monetize the current iteration of TT. Frankly monetizing cosmetics is pretty ethical, all things considered. They aren't withholding any new actual blocks. How loudly would you complain if Payload just simply went out of business? Then there'd be no new content at all. Give 'em a break.

Also for community enjoyment, I whipped these together based on the screen shot. They're not exact, but as close as I can figure. They're quite serviceable techs, actually!
View attachment 30364
View attachment 30365
Guess it's time to expose myself a bit: I'm actually old enough to have played games that had one third of their content out for free and you could have the rest for 20 bucks (the age of free-ware, for those, who don't know). Those are my standards! To me, DLC was never ethical!

This game had a Kickstarter campaign, has been in development since 2013, early access since 2015, charged extra for the RnD chamber and the experimental blocks (the only reason to keep playing missions after max xp) and even though, it went gold in 2018 (!), still isn't complete! Not even close, according to their own Road map!
EDIT: I forgot to mention the money they got from the GOG sales before Payload abandoned the players!

And yet, they have the nerve to charge 4 euros per pack? You can get complete games for less!

I can see why the cap on skins was removed: we're gonna' have many, many more of these packs!

Last edited:
Reactions: YaYYeeT

Rafs

Apr 4, 2019
Just wondering why GeoCorp got nothing.

Didn't I show it already that GeoCorp can have cool skins?
Did they think it wouldn't sell well?

We need a vanilla alternative to bright yellow or bright orange ;)

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
Well I was expecting these to be DLC a little after the teasers came live, because they spent man-hours in making new models for each skin, which costs development resources and it goes a bit beyond we modders did with custom skins.
If it's worth it or not I guess each one can decide to buy or not; modded skins will always be there and free (and with the lifted skin limit I intend to make even more).

Also the game is a bit old now so this seems to be natural for development to keep going.

I still hope for more mod support though and hopefully they'll take a look at it next year.
You hit the nail on the head here :)

Also - Mod Support is very much a priority for us once we've tidied things up that we're working on at the moment. Stay tuned, i'll have more news for you sometime in the New Year dealwithit

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
This is a budget game made by an indie studio without a lot of other titles out. I'd guess they have 12-20 people total. They're not EA. I've been sortof worried payload might have financial trouble if they didn't figure out a way to monetize the current iteration of TT. Frankly monetizing cosmetics is pretty ethical, all things considered. They aren't withholding any new actual blocks. How loudly would you complain if Payload just simply went out of business? Then there'd be no new content at all. Give 'em a break.
No issues with cosmetic DLC here. Folks have been wondering how the devs will continue to make money on a frequently updated game, and optional skin packs sounds like a reasonable choice to me.
Again, nailed it here.

Thanks guys <3

Mr-Vagabond

Dec 21, 2015
I think the new skin color/skin bloc a really cool personnaly (the Better future one <3) ! I dont have much to say about the fact that they cost some money, TerraTech is not an expensive game to buy, so i think that okay, and we have the modding team , and we are not forced to buy to play a very good game so whatever !

Wassaup

Apr 28, 2019
TerraTech is not an expensive game to buy
Um,... yes it is! It cost up to 29 dollars/euros, but the content isn't worth 10! Oh, but Payload promised that it will! It will be worth the money one day, pinkie-promise! So we wait and wait for years for this promise to be fulfilled. But instead of that, they work on ways to pry more money from wallets.
That, it why I'm angry! That, is why I feel betrayed! If this was a finished game, or at least worth the asking price, they could have all the add-on content in the world and be justified for asking money for it. Until that day comes, this is, and will be a Richard relocation!
Maybe, if the updates were substantial and compelling enough to make more people buy the game, the devs wouldn't be in a financial mess. But I guess, that's not worth the effort, only paid DLC is! And on a personal note: If you guys think 29 smackers "isn't much for this", than I truly, without any shame, envy all of you!

And now, a technical question: Is it possible to separate the new paint jobs from the new models? Can I have the "space shuttle" thrusters in classic GSO grey, or the War bird skin on an old VEN wing extender, or to have a black and red BF UFO? Because for 4, or should I say, 8 green-ones, I think that's an expected function, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

Mr-Vagabond

Dec 21, 2015
I bough this like 4 years ago, and it didnt cost me 29$, its cost me something like 15€ ( with r&d) dont know if there was a promotion occuring though.

when you seems game like uncharted that cost something between 50-70$/€ and you plays like 20h of it before finishing it, i think a game that cost me 15€ ( and there was only geocorp/Gso/venture when i bought it ) to plays 600h+, that pretty decent

Paylos is one of the companie I see interacting with the players the most, they ask question; they are actif on the forum etc, you can really be mad at a companie that want money, that generally the base of it, and Payload are really not that greedy compared to many companie ( and even compared to much much bigger one), and custom skin are for people interested on it, they cost nothing for those who dont want it, but will make some people happy about it ! Yeah they have still Legion, Space Junker an Made scientist to develop, but hey, i'm sure they are working on it dont worry, they have done many improvement since that i bought the game, the game is wayyyy better in all aspect

And if you find this expensive, wait 2-3month, this will be steam reduction on i'm pretty sure you can gest those for something like 1-2$

I can see ( in essence) why you think all this, but i may say : Dont worry, the dev are good people !

Wassaup

Apr 28, 2019
I bough this like 4 years ago, and it didnt cost me 29$, its cost me something like 15€ ( with r&d) dont know if there was a promotion occuring though.

when you seems game like uncharted that cost something between 50-70$/€ and you plays like 20h of it before finishing it, i think a game that cost me 15€ ( and there was only geocorp/Gso/venture when i bought it ) to plays 600h+, that pretty decent

Paylos is one of the companie I see interacting with the players the most, they ask question; they are actif on the forum etc, you can really be mad at a companie that want money, that generally the base of it, and Payload are really not that greedy compared to many companie ( and even compared to much much bigger one), and custom skin are for people interested on it, they cost nothing for those who dont want it, but will make some people happy about it ! Yeah they have still Legion, Space Junker an Made scientist to develop, but hey, i'm sure they are working on it dont worry, they have done many improvement since that i bought the game, the game is wayyyy better in all aspect

And if you find this expensive, wait 2-3month, this will be steam reduction on i'm pretty sure you can gest those for something like 1-2$

I can see ( in essence) why you think all this, but i may say : Dont worry, the dev are good people !
That's the discount price. The same discount price you see today (holiday season 2019), even after said 4 years! Back in the day, a game came out for 60 dollars/euros. Fast forward a few months (not even years) and you can get the same game for a buck. On a physical disc. In an actual box! And yet, they made a profit. Interesting, huh? This is why, I got into PC gaming: it's cheap. Cheaper than most people think... Or at least, it used to be. Before all these disgusting "get rich quick tricks" took over the mainstream industry. But it didn't matter, as long as we had mid-tier and indie developers to fill the void. Who still remember, what games are about and how to charge for them. So, to see these same cheap tricks slowly making their way into indie games makes me angry and disappointed. You can point so some devs and say: "They do it worse!" Well, I can point to other devs and say: "They do it better!", so this won't get us anywhere!

The fact, that you put 600+ hours into TT is more your achievement, not Payloads. You can make fun, where next to none exists. That's a real feat!

TerraTech is a game with great potential... is what I said to myself, when it was in early access, and unfortunately, that's still the most positive thing I can say about the project. Payload studios has been banking on patience for several years now, and patience is a finite resource. Pulling a move like "premium skins" before proper features and fixes are implemented (like the repulsive UI, for example) only erodes said patience further!

No, the devs aren't bad people. But they need to get their priorities straight!

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Aug 25, 2018
Um,... yes it is! It cost up to 29 dollars/euros, but the content isn't worth 10!
If this is honestly what you think, then you're not being reasonable on any level. I don't want to troll you, but you really don't seem to understand (nor are willing to understand) why things cost what they do. I mean, seriously, in 2019 just the rent bill for their office space couldn't be paid on 10$ a copy.

Wassaup

Apr 28, 2019
If this is honestly what you think, then you're not being reasonable on any level. I don't want to troll you, but you really don't seem to understand (nor are willing to understand) why things cost what they do. I mean, seriously, in 2019 just the rent bill for their office space couldn't be paid on 10$ a copy.
Allow me to teach a lesson in basic economics: A price/units sold graph line is exponential, not linear. Cutting the price by half for example, wouldn't double the sales, it would quadruple it, resulting in an overall higher profit margin. A 2/3 cut would increase sales tenfold. People would buy it literally, just for giggles. This is especially true for digital only games, where there are no manufacturing costs, shipping, storage or anything else, that physical sales had to deal with. Of course, this only works, if the product is actually good, so where is the problem?

As for Payload not being able to pay rent, I've misplaced my tiny violin, but I do have a suggestion: Have a donation button on your site. Set-up a Patreon account (or equivalent). I'm sure the millionaires, who play this game and are eager to give the devs money, would hand it over by the fist-fulls, so these poor, starving artists won't go homeless. It would be actually ethical. Surely more, than holding the content for ransom!

Seth_Seth

doin stufs
Oct 14, 2017
I dunno
forum.terratechgame.com
Also - Mod Support is very much a priority for us once we've tidied things up that we're working on at the moment. Stay tuned, i'll have more news for you sometime in the New Year dealwithit
Considering that this update killed Block Injector until the mod gets fixed

i'm holding your words to dat i guess

Also yeah i've been concerned about Payload's financial stuff, and the moment some more DLC comes out we're calling them EA now?

Reactions: Aardvark123