TerraTech 1.3.11 Feedback & Suggestions

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Jul 23, 2018
Hey folks,

TerraTech update 1.3.11 is avaialble NOW! - https://steamcommunity.com/games/285920/announcements/detail/4535633236105740080

Mod support! It's here! Yahoo!

We'd really like to know your thoughts on the Mod Creation process. Was it easy to do? Did you enjoy it? Where the instructions clear? What more would you like to see from Mod Support?

There's also a couple of new missions involving a weird cube. What do you like about the mission? What don't you like about the mission? Have you tried the new GeoCorp MegaReactor Battery? Does it need more/less capacity?

Cheers!

Rafs

Director-General of GreenTech
Apr 4, 2019
Mod support is amazing and being able to distribute the dozens of skins I made has been so satisfying, people are happy and so am I :D My thanks again!

As for the GeoCorp battery, it has some issues with misleading visuals, and I will transcribe a text on it I made at discord during a heated but productive discussion:

It's time to give my more in-depth analysis for the new GC Battery then, thinking of the game design involved, visual cues, and end-user experience.

Well, look at the battery. As someone who is casually playing the game, haven't seen the stats (that can't be find withing the game), you will use the battery based on your intuition, right? You see a big battery, with super cool effects, it must be heavy and powerful. Right? Forget all the data you saw, that's what you would think, right?

See, that's the first big problem. You might be at a stage of the game where you have a big tech, with geocorp blocks, strong wheels, perhaps some heavy hawkeye stuff, and you decide to use that battery, based on how it looks. Well, you just lost capacity density! All the GSO/havoc shields will have much less energy to draw from, the geocorp healing bubbles, gso, hawkeye, less energy to use! And without knowing that was the ONLY safe battery in the game, even though it looks like a HIGHLY UNSTABLE PARTICLE ACCELERATOR, you hide this battery deep in the tech. As much as you can. Of course, who would even try to explode that thing that should be a mini nuke just to know if it does damage??? Almost nobody would!

So, all the visual cues of the battery are WRONG, it fools the casual player in all aspects and only "prizes" those who dive deep into the information, which is not readily available within the game! TerraTech must be run on intuitiveness to be a good game, otherwise the experience gets worse and worse with those blocks that do the opposite they even should! This battery is a prime example of bad game design!
And even if you find a utility, like on a plane, what % of the player even build planes large enough to benefit from it???
Have you seen 90% of the steam workshop planes sizes?

Nothing, nothing in this battery can be benefitted of, and Payload should really hear the majority of the community in this one, there is no silver lining.
Everyone agreed with my point, tho it was interesting to hear that the battery can be used as external construction block without the concern of an explosion; but then again the issue with visuals not meeting stats will mislead the majority of the player base.

Many more will come here to comment about that battery needing rebalance when they do find out about its real stats, I will not be the first or the last one to point it out; better fix it now than ignore many rebalance posts like those weapon rebalance ones which are "not a priority" and never get a single developer reply even though the person takes hours to put it a rich constructive criticism for many weapons.

If rebalancing the battery is within the window of priority, then it has to be done now. I hope my points help with it!

My final suggestion is, if the devs realize the battery rebalance is a consensus, why not make a poll to get the community involved in the stats rebalance (beyond capacity)? It's such a cool block and the community does want to be involved in some of the design process beyond visuals, ask anyone in the community and they will be happy to participate. Problems like those with the Type 45 can be avoided with that community aproach.

Thanks for everything again and I can't wait for the next steps of modding support!

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Aug 25, 2018
I'm with Rafs on this one. There's no reason the battery should not be direct growth from the regular GC batteries. It is important to understand how balancing agents work. I, like others, am also confused as to why GC gets a particle accelerator battery. This block is much more in-line with RR.

All balancing agents aren't created equal. Most blocks have at least one primary stat, damage per projectile, rate of fire, energy/fuel capacity, healing rate/radius, etc. These cannot be traded equally with secondary balancing agents, such as mass, death explosion, HP, cost, or *cough* turret turning speed. When you try, you end up with blocks that feel frustrating, disappointing, or overpowered. Primary trades with primary, secondary trades with secondary. More damage per shot? Okay, slower reload, etc.

I'd also say that, while new content is greatly appreciated, reviewing and rebalancing old content is absolutely necessary. I've seen some work before, notably on the gyros and wheels, where Payload has gone back and tweaked values to be more in line with usage and game health. And that was good work and very much appreciated. But I'm concerned that this hasn't yet extended to pretty core parts of the gameplay, specifically weapons. It's not sufficient to have a pretty weapon, it must also have a place in the meta. Right now, there are many weapons that have no functional place in the game, and neither those weapons nor the fundamental gameplay issues which cause their problems have been addressed. Frankly, Payload doesn't seem to be terribly willing to modify older content, and that in-and-of-itself is a concern.

I'm also concerned that in a number of cases, you guys have missed the mark on what players have been requesting. The new triple cannon is a perfect example. Players wanted a slow firing, concussive, WWII battleship cannon. We got an upgraded VEN rapid cannon. The delta wings - we wanted fighter jet wings - we got wing tips. While these parts where in beta, players gave feedback to this effect, but that feedback was not acted upon.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Aug 25, 2018
For reference:

GSO Battery: 1,500 energy - 1500 energy per block

GC Battery Pack: 14,000 energy --1750 energy per block

New MegaReactor Energy capacity: 45,000 -- 1406 energy per block

So you see, you're better off stacking GSO batteries than using the new megareactor battery.

SUPER-TANK

Dec 10, 2019
The mega reactor battery needs a ton more capacity, likely well over even the BF battery in terms of power per cell. To compensate that, just add a few proxima darks to it's recipe and a lot more armor. Still, light for it's size. When first released it had a crafting recipe, as well as the Mighty Minion and Mighty leader blocks, and I managed to craft them before the devs removed these for no reason.
Type 45: Reduce fire rate so the shot cool down is around 3. Increase the damage to 3000, and health to 7000.
The Almighty Cube: First One's good, second one's like, well, the game bugged. It's supposed to give us 40 seconds but the game only gave 20 seconds, and i barely made it with 24 paladin bombs dropping at once. And what would the third part be? Giving us 2 minutes to dismantle a tech with the prototype shield?
Hawkeye Railgun and Hunter Railgun: Should deal ballistic damage by firing a projectile, punching anything in a small area, penetrating shields.
The Giga plasma could be great railgun material.
GeoCorp's prototype shields and chargers aren't buggy. Tested them in RND labs after loading a snapshot in steam workshop and it's balanced. I believe there is no reason not to add them. GC also lacks a shield, so why don't add that?

Reactions: Rafs

Epic afdc

Mar 8, 2016
I gotta say, im not too keen on the new blocks. They're mostly just cosmetics, save for the battery, which I don't really find too interesting, save for its really cool looking model.

The new missions are fairly fun, i love how the guy is so confident that his GSO cube will withstand your tech (and at the point i was at, this thing had an excess of battleship and megaton cannons) it was quite comedic and put a smile on my face.

I have one word on the mod support: Y E S

joseph racer

Feb 1, 2019
I have found a bug where if you do not kill the almighty cube, you still get the money and xp for killing it when the game resets the mission.

Reactions: Aardvark123

Helios

Also known as He Who Forgets Passwords
Apr 7, 2020
For reference:

GSO Battery: 1,500 energy - 1500 energy per block

GC Battery Pack: 14,000 energy --1750 energy per block

New MegaReactor Energy capacity: 45,000 -- 1406 energy per block

So you see, you're better off stacking GSO batteries than using the new megareactor battery.
In term of density, yes, it's one of the worst battery ever. But the simple fact that it doesn't explode when destroyed makes it THE most overpowered battery in the entire game.

Think about it - how often do you salvage batteries from the parts left behind by enemies? Almost never, right? Because most of the enemies are in fact destroyed by their own exploding batteries. If their batteries no longer explode, only way to destroy them is to take out all the cabs, which pretty much means blowing the entire tech apart piece by piece.

It not exploding from having a hecking reactor is a bit.. odd, to say the least
also is it supposed to lack a recipe-
And it's a reactor but it holds rather than generates energy. And it weights the same as a single GC Battery Pack.

Seriously. Almost everything about this MegaReactor "Battery" is wrong.

Zonko

Sep 20, 2019
The new battery needs to do something distinctive.
Either massive power store, but fragile and it explodes violently,
Or, it's perfectly safe, and tough, but does not hold as much power, but is a way of making a battery into a strudy building block.
Which is no us4e, if it's a funny shape.

Pick one.

ARES IV

Jun 28, 2018
Regarding Mod/Skin Support:

:cool::D:)

The Mighty Cube Missions:
I cant comment on them, they havent been available in my campaign so far.

GeoCorp MegaReactor Battery

I have made an overview about its statistics in comparsion to other batteries:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...03ypOBQp9K65qkOEWTNldTOO0/edit#gid=1135849996

It has the highest capacity of all battery pieces as one would expect for its enormous size.

It has the worst capacity per cell which is a drawback. A drawback that however is compensated by the fact that it doesnt explode and as such requires less armor protection than any other battery.

Coming to the thing that imho is the biggest issue abouts its balancing: Its mass. At 24 (tons?) it weights the same as the regular GeoCorp Battery Pack while having much more capacity and size. It is in fact ludicrous light for its size and capacity:

The Venture Battery already is somewhat of an outlier.... yet is put to shame by the Battery Reactor without effort.

I really dont think that the GeoCorp Reactor Battery should be a replacement for Venture batteries on the techs that favour using them. Think about it, you can replace your venture batteries with this , save weight and have no explosion risk, while only taking a modest hit in the capacity department. There is very little reason not to use the GeoCorp Reactor instead of Venture Batteries... that is imho not good.

I realize that it is in many ways an emtpy block and that is should be less heavy than 4 GeoCorp Batteries but 24 is far to light.... it really should be only above the regular GeoCorp Battery Pack.

Suggestion: Increase its mass to 75. Maybe add "the containment system is very heavy" flavour text.

4 X GeoCorp Battery Pack: 4 X 24 = 96 = 56000 energy = 583,33 energy per mass
1 X GeoCorp Reactor Battery: 75 = 45000 energy = 600 energy per mass.

It also could use a price increase, for a unique non explosive high tech battery it still is a bit cheap on a price for capacity base.

Alternative Balancing concept idea:

It is a reactor, one would expect it to generate energy. To avoid making it overpowered I could imagine the following stats:

• 1 % of its capacity = 45 is self generated if the tech has not taken damage recently (like SCU)
  • Mass increased
  • Price increased

Or maybe add an actual reactor to another corp. One that does generate significnat amounts of energy but goes nuclear if destroyed.... like batteries... just much much worse.

GeoCorp's prototype shields and chargers aren't buggy. Tested them in RND labs after loading a snapshot in steam workshop and it's balanced. I believe there is no reason not to add them. GC also lacks a shield, so why don't add that?
Nice find. You might wish to try the shield pushing other techs away however, it can easily slam your own tech airborne, especially when you anchor it.

It also seems like the shield generator itself takes ramming damage when enemy techs slam into the shield. Which is surprisingly realistic as one of the issue any real life shield generator would face is that kinetic impacts would be transfered to its casing as per tvtropes understanding of physics.

On an personal opinion, I am not much of a fan on its colour.

I'm also concerned that in a number of cases, you guys have missed the mark on what players have been requesting. The new triple cannon is a perfect example. Players wanted a slow firing, concussive, WWII battleship cannon. We got an upgraded VEN rapid cannon.
I agree. The Hawkeye Type 45 Naval Gun feels very dissapointing even though it technically isnt weak. Neither fire rate nor sound are what I would have imagined.

Please reduce fire rate but increase damage per shot and if possible, add more menacing sounds and animations.

On some general feedback: Better Future wheels feel pretty lackluster. Also the GeoCorp XL Continuous Track still has on average a worse offroad performance than the GeoCorp Continuous Track Middle. It honestly needs to be bigger (in height and beam) to allow for more suspension travel as its lack of suspension travel seems to be the main culprit of its often underwhelming performance offroad.

Maybe one should look into a Christie Suspension design, the wheel sized roadwheels might allow for the required suspension travel more easily. Those tracks also should be wider, the feel pretty thin for someting this size and mass carry capacity.

ikibiki

Aug 31, 2018
hello everyone. i cannot access the megareactor block. not in my fabricator geocorp but in my geocorp shop. since i cant buy it yet it hasnt discovered yet. please help. thank you

YaYYeeT

Internet Intellectual
Apr 27, 2020
<redacted>
hello everyone. i cannot access the megareactor block. not in my fabricator geocorp but in my geocorp shop. since i cant buy it yet it hasnt discovered yet. please help. thank you
To be able to buy a item you need to at least have it in your inventory once, because the megareactor is not available you can't find it. Maybe you could max GC and buy it that way but I'm not sure.

Seth_Seth

doin stufs
Oct 14, 2017
I dunno
forum.terratechgame.com
I mean all that kinda happened to the megareactor was that it got a mass increase (nice) and more capacity, that's it
still near impossible to tell if its supposed to go nuclear on you or not

you sure you devs are listening to the community?-