Tech Tips and Tricks Thread

IceFireXD

Aug 21, 2015
I've renamed the thread because "hack" implies something far more negative. It's fine to use the term "life hack" in your post, but try to avoid using the word "hack" at all in the thread title.

IdontRuin

May 27, 2015
Ohh I don't know any, but I'm sure @IdontRuin must have a bunch ;)!
You mean using things in ways that they shouldn't be used in ?..
Like everyone's favourite bug "my tech got flipped by resources" and taking it to the next level ?
The Trollcopter vR03.png
(MAGNET POWERED ENGINES)
Or using them to hang my techs.. (..cause landing is too mainstream)
The Hanger vR02.png
As for some tips that are not based on bugs or mechanics that might or might-not change..

Anchored techs have no-clip with other anchored techs. (so you can stack several buildings on top of each other as long as you can build them, this is useful for turrets as you can build moving turrets INSIDE bases, or stack turrets on each other for ridiculous firepower)

xrw

Oct 3, 2015
1. Megatons fired at a ~45 degree angle can hit techs from well outside their aggro range.
2. You can build techs at an angle. Just make a diagonal tech sometime.... surely there is no way to destroy the game balance by combining this trick with another.
3. Techs can be build on, around, inside each other or otherwise connected. It is possible to say build a tech with a large flat bed... then an angled tech laden with megatons carefully dropped into the back.
4. Lasers projectiles aren't affected by gravity and have a longish range. You can carefully snipe many enemies with many forward facing lasers.
5. Auto aiming is rubbish. Don't trust it. It's good for one thing only, closing in to deliver the killing blow.
6. You say the other weapons look cool? 3-pounders are OK, I guess Venture hailfires are passable, Oozees last time I checked were junk and the mortars are beyond redemption. Mortars have a short range and they're already angled so you can't use trick #1 to get more range out of them.
7. Don't place your cab in the front. You're gonna blow up. Hide your batteries, and fuel tanks. They go boom too.
8. Anchored invader techs can be killed with melee weapons, or you can wait until nightime.
9. Enemies seem to spawn based on the size of your tech. Don't drive monster techs if you're not ready to fight big baddies.
10. Build turrets, with AI cabs, shields, repair bubbles, solars and lots of batteries.
11. Place cabs on all your base structures. So you can move around your base easier.
12. Tractor pads don't work at speeds higher than a slow crawl. Use receivers instead. As far as I can tell they don't drop things.
13. Better yet just build a mobile refining harvesting tech. You need not use static deliver cannons or a special refining base ever.
14. Unless the price of megatons have been nerfed, those are the most expensive single item. Sell them is easy money. I never had a problem finding enemies with tons of megatons.
15. Attack from the corners. Weapons can face one of 4 directions. Attacking from the corner will make it hard to hit you. keep you distance though or the auto aim will get you. See #4

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
The landing looks simple in concept. Have resources trapped in your bot. Maneuver your bot over to the receivers. Stop when it attaches.

Though, I imagine it is hard to get on without overshooting.

IdontRuin

May 27, 2015
Video! Video!
..hmm..
@IdontRuin I would like the video of you landing it in that contraption.:cool::D
..it's surprisingly much easier than getting out of that contraption..
(..nah actually that's also easy I'm just kind of tired from work so I'm just failing around in the vid..
note to self: making videos after work is not the best idea.)
But anyways here you go :

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
I think we need to have a @IdontRuin vs @reaperx1 TerraTech pro build off challenge.
I'm honored, thanks man

If you can get the game to handle the techs that I am working on so that I can finish them. I don't think either of us would want to be limited in anyway.

We both seem to like monsters.

Why not just have a monster tech challenge with minimum build limits and everyone can join in?

Have a good one

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Aug 14, 2014
australia
I'm honored, thanks man

If you can get the game to handle the techs that I am working on so that I can finish them. I don't think either of us would want to be limited in anyway.

We both seem to like monsters.

Why not just have a monster tech challenge with minimum build limits and everyone can join in?

Have a good one
now that seems like a CHALLENGE to me, now WHEN can this happen?????

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
now that seems like a CHALLENGE to me, now WHEN can this happen?????
The challenge was suggested for us, but I am game just for the fun of it.

As for when, that there is the challenge for the Dev's. If we are going to do a challenge like this we need the game to be able to use and handle the full 64x64x64 build limit without issues. At that point you are gauranteed to see something awesome from both of us.

Have a good one

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
Aug 14, 2014
australia
considering that I managed to lag out the streaming computer with one of my techs that was designed to be released into the base game, and that I have even managed to rig a two on 1 testing in my R&D (on 32 bit btw) against the same lag making without significant lag, it should be FUN

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
I would love to be able to battle two of my techs against each other. That way if it ends in a draw I know that I have done a good job. And if I could do that without any lag there would be and endless line of ideas that would get built.
It will get there some day.

Yes it would be FUN.:):D:p:D;):D:D:D They don't have enough smiles to show how fun it would be.

Have a good one