Tech Request: VTOL Fighter Aircraft

桂桃~

I'm trying to learn how to make better planes in Terratech and I'd like to build an aircraft capable of flying like an aeroplane and hovering like a helicopter. Ideally, it would be able to fly at at least 80 mph with plane controls (using roll and pitch to turn mainly), and engage helicopter hovering mode (helicopters can strafe and mainly use yaw to turn) to deliver its ordinance. As it would be hovering above enemies to deliver fire, it should also have shields and repair bubbles for protection.

As of now, I'm thinking of using LMEs and upward facing ion thrusters to hover, and more ion thrusters for pitch, strafe, yaw and roll. A hover plane would also be viable I think, as you could simply hold down [lift] after braking. If anybody has experience building such techs or have examples of them, could you please share in this thread? Thanks in advance.

I've attached a control scheme that I thought up of for the craft, but it's just for reference and incomplete.

EDIT: Regular planes are also welcome, I'd like to get to know how to make those too as I mentioned.

Attachments

burger1113

Making an antigrav would obviously be easier to achieve what you want for sure, but I guess one does have to deal with making space for batteries, protecting them, charging, and lifting all that extra weight at the same time.
This is a tall order for sure, as with everything loaded, simple planes in this game have trouble with getting enough speed/lift already. To be putting in even more mass for the vertical thrust is... Lol i guess they would help with the maneuverability in normal flight if you place them right, though.
Hmm that makes me want to actually try it...

Last edited:

burger1113

Work got in the way, but here is my take at it! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2187272660
It's a Hovercraft+Copter+Plane Hybrid. A Bhomvercrofpter? Nope, that doesn't work...
Well the tech does lol. It's got a healthy hover height of 38ft, vertical climb at 76mph, and horizontal flight at 153mph.
Hover height can be increased to 71ft at 60% Rotor Throttle, and any more throttle will make you climb.
That top speed is with rockets, but there is enough fuel to boost for 45 seconds, so it should be plenty.
I had forgotten that this worked, but with the vertical throttle engaged, the adjusters will still try to keep you in the same spot horizontally, unless other inputs are pressed.
Basic Plane Controls, but with Up/Down Arrow for plane throttle, PgUp/PgDn for Vertical Throttle, and Left/Right for Strafe.
Oh, and Shift is Boost for easy access.

VT1.png (not a snapshot)

Last edited:
I'm trying to learn how to make better planes in Terratech and I'd like to build an aircraft capable of flying like an aeroplane and hovering like a helicopter. Ideally, it would be able to fly at at least 80 mph with plane controls (using roll and pitch to turn mainly), and engage helicopter hovering mode (helicopters can strafe and mainly use yaw to turn) to deliver its ordinance. As it would be hovering above enemies to deliver fire, it should also have shields and repair bubbles for protection.

As of now, I'm thinking of using LMEs and upward facing ion thrusters to hover, and more ion thrusters for pitch, strafe, yaw and roll. A hover plane would also be viable I think, as you could simply hold down [lift] after braking. If anybody has experience building such techs or have examples of them, could you please share in this thread? Thanks in advance.

I've attached a control scheme that I thought up of for the craft, but it's just for reference and incomplete.

EDIT: Regular planes are also welcome, I'd like to get to know how to make those too as I mentioned.
Are modded planes allowed? If so, Ive gotcha covered:
LK LJ1.png
Mods Used: @Saelem Black's flight pack, Intakes, Venture cockpit. Press R for first person.

This thing is a beast. It cant take off vertically, hover, and move like a heli with just adjustment thrusters, Fly with props like a plane, or speed off with jets like a fighter. It took me four hours to build.

Also, heres a pretty good VTol:https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2186456790
And an Airship:https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2186459861