Suggestions for improving the game experiences. (15 or more suggestions, most are easy/simple to implement.)

Yes/No?

• Yes, a few.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• I don't know/care. Either/or.

• Total voters
Website
sapioit.com
1. Fabricators should have an new row dedicated to a repeat functionality, in which a block can be made multiple times, by choosing between the options "Once", "Exactly" followed by a textbox where we can write a number (with arrows next to it so we can increment and decrement by one), and "Forever". This would make it much more easy to play a fabricator playstyles (as well as other niches).

2. Fabricators and Payload Teminals should have a textbox where we can write something which would show grey-out or hide all the elements which do not have the text we wrote in their name. (You could even have both options toggleable with a checkbox.)

3. Payload terminals should show a little red circle in the bottom-left of the items which cannot be bought because they are grade-locked.

4. Fabricators or Scrappers should let us search items by the components they require. That would make the fabricator playstyles much easier, because you would not have to search each component manually, to see if it has the thing you need for the thing you want to build. Actually, that would give the scrappers a menu window, which would not clog the Fabricators with non-critical options. Though you could make another block meant to be used for both searching blocks by their components, and to show us a list of everything which can be made with the current components we have stored in the system. Maybe "Processing Terminal" would be a good name. Maybe even have the Processing Terminal tell us how many raw resources are needed for any item, as well for any snapshot we choose from a dropdown-menu with a scroll bar, and maybe also how many raw resources are needed to build all the missing parts for the snapshot, not just all the raw resources regardless of whether or not we have the snapshots' items in our inventory.

5. Snapshots missing blocks should show a list of the missing blocks, so we can gather them. Maybe have the list of blocks for a snapshot be shown in after pressing a certain button, so we can see each item required, how much of each we need, how much of each we have, and a green or red circle before the name to see whether we have the required amount. Example "[Red_circle] Venture Payload Terminal (5/3)", "[Green_circle] Better Future Payload Terminal (3/2)", each on it's own line. (I mean, without having to go into the existing Show Blocks menu, but listing those on the page where the error is shown.)

6. Add an option to the fabricators to always make resource blocks when possible, and set the order from the larger-stacks to smaller-stacks, so the Venture resource blocks are made last and the GeoCorp are made first, if both factions' fabricators are connected to your loop. Maybe even have a new kind of factory, which has a dongle for each corporation, and if it has a 2x3 face (or larger), we can put all the dongles on it to have it auto-craft the resource blocks, again, in the order from the larger-stacks to the smaller stacks, depending on the dongles it has. And having a 2x3 face would leave room for one more corp, just like the fabricators have room for at least 4 more dongles (6 slots in the back and one in the front, between the input and output).

7. Improved block rotation. Have 3 buttons needed, one for each of the 3 axis of rotation, and have the rotation be Point-Of-View dependent. Maybe also show one of 3 colors for each axis, when we rotate it. Or have one button which when pressed would allow us to drag-rotate the face of the block we're seeing on the 2 axis of our screen (up-down and left-right from the point of view). This would make building techs much easier, since we would not have to scroll through lots of seemingly-random block orientations. Maybe even use just one button for rotating and let us move the mouse to drag the block in one of the 4 cardinal directions of the screen, so the guides showing the direction of rotation would only show up when the rotation mode is in use.

(Comment 1/4.)

Last edited:
Website
sapioit.com
8. Proper multiplayer campaign which is not coop. The quest lines would be player-bound, and people could join groups to finish the same quest, and the dropped items should not be pick-able by other players for a minute or two, so people can get their own loot in their own SCUs, and, for example, not give a player who just joined a payload terminal right off the bat. Also, being in a group would mean that everyone in that group could modify your tech, but noone outside the group. Not being in a group (or being in a special group for people who want to not be in a group) would mean that only you can modify your tech. That way, new players don't miss out on items which were already harvested by others who completed that tech line first, so everyone can get their own items for completing their own quest line. And the enemy markers could have the red target replaced with a blue one for group members (similar to the techs you own) and a green one for targets you have to protect or which are simply not enemies (and there are quite a few quests where that is not the case).

8.1. And if you really want to remove the possibility of people stealing others' loot, you could make the crate have it's own SCU which sucks only that player's items back into their inventory, regardless of obstructions, if the player does not manually pick them up to move or place them. That way, farming lower-level players and loot stealing would not be as easy, and thus newer players would not be hindered as much by higher-level players.

9. Manual Aim. Somewhat like the auto-target, but letting us choose which blocks to (try to) attack, even if the we miss due to the distance-scattering. Would make it easier to harvest specific items from the techs, or go for the guns or batteries or shield/regeneration bubbles first.

10. Some sort of goal. Even if it's just challenging yourself to fight against greater foes, which seem to be capped at a certain level. Maybe the combined level of your corp grades should dictate how powerful the invasions should be. The invasions would also be interesting if they scaled with distance away from zero-zero (coords), so that we have at least one reason to keep getting stronger. So if you want to more easily beat invaders, you stay closer to the center of the map (0,0), but if you want a real challenge, you venture further and further out. Having a workshop category dedicated for enemy tech to spawn would be useful for having a monthly contest to pick a new enemy tech to be added to the list of naturally-spawning techs, and the contest would also be useful for adding new missions. Each month could have a different theme and restrictions. For example, 90%+ blocks must be from Venture and 10%- from Better Future, for the thief mission given by Better Future. And it would lead to enemies which are not easily bested by the terrain. There could be a new mission about having a plane carpet-bomb an area and the player must either take it down, or survive the carpet-bombing for 5 minutes straight (so no splitting into 5 sessions of a minute each). There could be a mission about protecting a small craft from carpet-bombing caused by a flying craft which is overpowered at defending but only has a few bombs and which despawns after the time limit is gone. And so on and so forth.

11. Maybe have the fabricator smarter, so that we don't need 4 component factories, one for each rank of fabricated items (no dongle to level 3 dongle). It would mean that the fabricator would order things to be produced wisely, so one component factory with all 3 dongles would work well, since it would not get stuck at wanting to make an item but not having the prerequisites, so it would first make the lowest level items. And we would also know how many raw resources are needed for each batch of items, as well. Maybe even have a new Component Factory from one of the other corps (see 14th suggestion) which has 3 front slots for 3 dongles and makes any component from the resource chunks, instead from lower components (at the same overall price of resource chunks, requested in the same refined/unrefined state as the components would require them).

12. Maybe have diagonal cabs, so we can have techs built at a 45 degrees (basically the up is 45 degrees rotated to a side, but the front and back are not). That would let us have more creativity when it comes to using and fighting against techs.

(Comment 2/4.)

Last edited:
Website
sapioit.com
13. Storage Blocks which can be fabricated for storing each component the Component Factories can output. That way, bases can have less clutter and the components can be more mobile and more safely stored (since they can be stuck stuck in the SCU, where they cannot be despawned by enemy attacks). And maybe have the resources have their own tab in the menu, since that would help further de-clutter the inventory and shop menus.

14. An idea for a new corp to be added would be to have the new corp focused on scrapping, which would result in items/blocks with low HP, cheap, often bigger/bulkier, and (a lot) slower or weaker (basically the definition of glass cannon). You know, fitting the theme of having a harsh life barely scrapping by on an alien planet. And they could get a questline about scrapping other techs in order to sell the parts and to craft more parts of their corp, and their story questline could be scrapping other corps' parts in the scrappers' scrapper to then fabricate more items of the scrappers' corp, like turning a GSO Little Trekker Wheel into two ByScrap Little Wheel, then the GSO ZK-47 Light Machine Gun into one and a half guns which fire slower (and have hess HP, like all other ByScrap blocks), then use cheaper resources to craft certain items (i.e. less advanced parts, or less-advanced parts, or both). Their SCU could either have the largest range and take a whole minute to load, or have the smallest range of them all, but still work decently when paired with an anchored magnet nearby, or let them have two SCUs, both with double their loading time comparatively to whichever SCUs are closer to their range. And their payload terminal could be giant parabolic antenna with a tiny screen attached to it (if the other terminals are laptop-sized tablets, theirs would be a phone, and maybe a small one at that). They might even not have full blocks, but instead use frameworks/brackets through which weapons can shoot. I mean, it would be cheaper to make, but at the price of having not only very little HP, but also not being usable as armor to defend your core against attacks. And if their scrapper can scrap all other corps' components, even at a loss of a part of the components from other corps, they could also serve as a guide for teaching the players advanced crafting and maybe even have the players give up resources as humanitarian aid to a few of the ByScrap bases. For example, you could have to fabricate a whole auto-crafting rig around a framework which already has rockets for launching said base into space (so the player loses those resources, but gains access to more techs from the ByScrap corp). It could be a (heavy) resources sink for the more late-game content, the latest quest mission giving the player a ByScrap fabricator and a ByScrap SCU (or two ByScrap SCUs if you give them both short-range-mobile and long-range-anchored), and having the ByScrap items not findable at the Payload Terminals, or not having their own Payload Terminal (though they could have it with only the resource chunks, and you could have resource blocks made from 1 resource chunk), they could be able to make each factions' fabricators, but require you to have completed Crafty Mike's crafting questline before being able to start the ByScrap questline. That would make them a more viable option for those who want to craft powerful weapons from a faction they do not yet have a high enough level with to have access to their fabricator.

14.1. The reason I suggested a new corp (the ByScrap corp) was because that would allow for having items with a larger range (maybe except the weapons) at the price of costing a lot more time, energy and rocket fuel. And having some of the experimental items which are not yet the obvious choice for any other corp could be temporarely be put in the ByScrap corp, so they can be crafted and tested by players more easily, and lore-wise there are two options, either (1) technologies from ByScrap could be sold to other corps, thus those items would not be ByScrap items anymore, but items of other corp, or (2) those technologies were leased to ByScrap by other corps for the purpose of testing them, since the other corps do not want to have any casualities caused by the testing process. The ByScrap Shield and Health bubbles could require twice as much energy per usage (impact/block-healing), the solar panels would give half as much charge at 25% less materials, their batteries would have half the charge of the Venture ones, their wings and boosters also be much weaker at a reduced price, and so on.

That's it for now, I'll edit or post a new discussion when I come up with other ideas. (Currently on version 18 of this text.)

Note: I just noticed in another thread that there are a few unreleased corps planned to be released. I did not take any of those into account when making this post.

(Comment 3/4.)

Last edited:
Website
sapioit.com
15. Add a ghost-build mode, in which the blocks you right click become ghost like, having their opacity set to 5% and have them become click-through, so we could place or change blocks from inside our tech without having to systematically dismantle our tech to change a single block, and to more easily troubleshoot techs which have harvesting, hoarding, crafting, scrapping and manufacturing capabilities.

16. AI options for farming and hunting. Farming would allow us to target all breakable nature blocks, or choose all blocks, or just some resource veins or some trees, or all resource veins or all trees, or a particular list of resource veins or trees, would destroy them and harvest their drops (if there are collectors or receivers on said tech), and when full they will go to the place they were spawned in, and wait to be emptied, then go back to harvesting. Hunting would be the same but for techs and blocks, so going after the nearest enemy, and after the enemy is gone, either using magnets to move items to the spawn location, or use SCUs to harvest all the blocks, then going back to hunting.

17. Locking and maglocking hooks. Mechanically and magnetic locking a tech to another tech. Similar with the experimental items used for carrying other techs, but have another key dedicated to locking the hooking gear, so wiggling will not separate the techs, and so techs can connect more easily. Some new animated blocks would be needed. If you want to not add another button/hotkey, just use the docking hotkey in reverse, so a docked tech unhooks and a undocked tech hooks. The loop the hook goes through would also have a version which would hook/lock and unhook/unlock. This would make it possible to lock techs together without fiddling in build mode.

(Comment 4/4.)

Edit: Please do give feedback on what you think are the best points of my suggestions, and what you think should be improved, possibly also including how said suggestions should be improved.

Last edited:

Falchoin

1) I agree with. It would be very handy to just set a fabricator to build X number of a block.

2) A search function would be handy for new players. I probably wouldn’t use it since navigating by corp and block type is faster since I know where stuff is.

3) I need to do a campaign playthrough again. I thought trading stations and payload terminals had some sort of notification showing a block isn’t available for purchase?

4) Agreed, it would be nice to have an easy in-game way to see which blocks used X component. I’m not sure how feasible it would be for the processing terminal idea though, even if it would be convenient to tell a factory “build missing blocks for this snapshot”

5) The new UI mostly addresses this, though personally I wish the blocks list was more than just 4 at a time.

6) I don’t understand how that will work. If the incoming resources are used to make GeoCorp resource blocks first, how would the other corps get priority to build theirs?

7) All of my yes. Cycling through all possible rotations and attach points can be very tedious.

8) While it would be cool to have that kind of multiplayer, I don’t see it happening. It would take dedicated servers. Also, I would not allow modifying of other player techs at all unless specifically chosen to allow it. It’d be way too easy to troll otherwise.

9) I would rather an improved targeting AI which takes own tech movement and enemy vector into account when resolving targeting solutions.

10) I’d love more difficult enemies, but I would likely ignore very specific missions requiring very specific builds.

11) I like the idea of a super component factory which takes resources and components from scrapped items then combines them all at once to make a finished product component. It would simplify factories a great deal, and cut down on crafting time.

12) It’s already possible to have 45 degree techs, though they are a bit janky. More options to make things easier I suppose.

13) I would rather have a component deconstructor which reduces components to their base resources.

14.1) With those proposed numbers... I doubt I’d use those blocks.

15) Yes please

Bazzietuk

11. The fabrication system and conveyor system needs a major overhaul in general. I've created quite a few fabrication plant techs on another threat and they're a nightmare to get working right with all corps being able to fabricate all the items with little or zero player input other than choosing the item you want to make. The last two I did used all three dongles to each fabricator so all of them could create all levels of tech for the builds the factories needed. Have a look for yourself, they are ideas that can be built upon.

Also the missing blocks normally have a black box through them with a ? mark if you don't have the license needed to make or purchase them. Same as missing blocks in the snapshots (there is an option to show which are missing which are then either on a red background if you have access to them but don't have any (and it then tells you how many you have/don't have) also the black box with a ? if you haven't discovered the blocks yet.

(my tech thread): https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/factory-tester-needed.19992/

Website
sapioit.com
5) The new UI mostly addresses this, though personally I wish the blocks list was more than just 4 at a time.
But also makes it more of a hassle to see which blocks are missing, because 3 can only see 4 items at a time (6, if you include half-thumbnails), compared to the previous 12 blocks for 720p screen/window resolution.

6) I don’t understand how that will work. If the incoming resources are used to make GeoCorp resource blocks first, how would the other corps get priority to build theirs?
First way would be to have the bricking fabricator have the lowest priority (only work when all the fabricators and component factories either are not in use or are missing resources). Second way would be to get them normal fabricator priority, since you would most likely only use it for miner-brickers and for packing up bases and harvested resources, without having to manually select the resource packs to brick into. Whenever we need to build something, the active build order of said fabricator would take priority over it's passive build order of making resource pack bricks.

8) While it would be cool to have that kind of multiplayer, I don’t see it happening. It would take dedicated servers. Also, I would not allow modifying of other player techs at all unless specifically chosen to allow it. It’d be way too easy to troll otherwise.
It could be a checkbox for group makers and a warning for those who get a group invite. And the dedicated server could be built-into the game, so whoever wishes to be just hosting would just have the window minimized, to not render anything visually.

10) I’d love more difficult enemies, but I would likely ignore very specific missions requiring very specific builds.
The whole point is to have the option. For example, I could see a challenge where people are challenged to survive the harshest of attacks, or attack enemies which are not supposed to be attacked, and so on.

11) I like the idea of a super component factory which takes resources and components from scrapped items then combines them all at once to make a finished product component. It would simplify factories a great deal, and cut down on crafting time.
Even if it takes 50% (or even 100%) more time for said component factory to fabricate parts, it would still be faster than many existing setups, because all of the resources would be gathered at once, and no time will be wasted waiting for components to move. Besides, having it take more time to build things would be a good reason to keep the previous component factories in, because balancing, so we could even have them take 5 times as much as a normal component factory to produce a component.

13) I would rather have a component deconstructor which reduces components to their base resources.
Why not both? I mean, in both cases, lots of resources would be lost. So an all-corps-scrapper losing 25% of the resources and a compoment-scrapper losing 33% again would lead to ending up with half the raw resources of a block which uses only components and no resources (raw or processed).

14.1) With those proposed numbers... I doubt I’d use those blocks.
Many will use it. I mean, especially suicide crafts, if the enemy AI will learn to properly fly. Especially if the Crafy Mike questline will be revamped or removed to make space for a ByScrap/Junkers questline focused on fabricating and recycling, or having both questlines intermingled, so the junkers corp is among the first corps to unlock. I mean, the numbers can be tweaked, but still, the idea is relevant. Especially since the Junkers/ByScrap corp could take over the scrapping business in the beginning, and act as a heavy resource sink for the late game, if they get some suicide-bomber items (going well with the flying AI improvement, so we can drop suicide-bomber techs from our carrier).

The last two I did used all three dongles to each fabricator so all of them could create all levels of tech for the builds the factories needed. Have a look for yourself, they are ideas that can be built upon.
I found that by doing that, I can only have one fabricator working at a time per row of component factories, because otherwise the system will be jammed.

By the way, I added the 16th and the 17th suggestion!

This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

Last edited:
Website
sapioit.com
Also the missing blocks normally have a black box through them with a ? mark if you don't have the license needed to make or purchase them.
But once you crafted one, the payload terminals show them the same as all the other blocks, until you clock on them and see you need a higher grade of said corp to purchase them.

By the way, I added the 16th and the 17th suggestion!

This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors.

Last edited: