[Suggestion] Heat

Website
duckduckgo.com
This suggestion will break all techs and would basically need the entire game to be completely rebalanced so I don't expect it to be added at all, but I wanted to throw it out there for TerraTech 2 or something. I thought of this suggestion because I wondered how Geocorp would look with big vents and also how to control weapon spam, then it went off from there.

Basically, all weapons would generate Heat when fired. All techs would have a Heat Capacity and a Heat Dissipation rate naturally which can scale with size, so a small tech would have relatively less capacity and higher dissipation, while it's the opposite for large techs. Heat gained from firing weapons is stored within the Heat Capacity and must be dissipated to remove the heat.

Heat Capacity and Heat Dissipation values can be augmented via heatsinks and radiators/vents/cooling systems. Heatsinks increase Heat Capacity, allowing techs to continue firing for longer before heat becomes too much of an issue. Cooling systems increase Heat Dissipation, so heat is lost quicker. This could be interesting, as techs with high alpha strike weapons e.g. battleship cannons would need a high heat capacity to withstand the sudden burst of heat, while techs with many quick-firing weapons might want lots of cooling to deal with the constant increase of heat.

When Heat Capacity goes over 100%, things start breaking. At over 100%, weapons would start firing slower, maybe a 10% decrease or so. At over 125%, shields and healing bubbles start flickering randomly, causing them to lose effectiveness. At over 150%, movement blocks would decrease in power, so wheels and fans move slower while anti-gravity and hoverpads won't support as much weight. At over 175%, the tech starts taking damage. At over 200%, batteries explode, weapons fire extremely slowly, bubbles turn off completely and the tech slows to a crawl. At this point you're pretty much dead.

Maybe biomes could have an effect on heat as well. Deserts would cause techs to slowly heat up, requiring cooling systems to traverse safely. Ice biomes would make techs cool down quicker.

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
Honestly I actually could see this being implemented as a game feature-not too complex, not too high skill level requirement

To add simply give players a warning in the game, then add the vent and radiator blocks, then after that add the mechanic

However I have some refinements for this idea:
-When overheating, weapons should decrease in accuracy instead of losing reload rate-this resembles some weapons in real life that would become extremely inaccurate when fired for too long. For missiles (since they don't really have accuracy), overheating could cause some of them to malfunction, dropping out of the air
-Overheating should NOT cause tech damage or battery failure, as this would be absolutely infuriating for many players-if TT does get more difficulties however, this should be a thing
-Overheating should slow down manufacturing blocks such as scrappers and conveyors, affecting bases as well

If this is added, refinements will be needed for the AI as well so they won't automatically kill themselves

Website
duckduckgo.com
Overheating should NOT cause tech damage or battery failure, as this would be absolutely infuriating for many players-if TT does get more difficulties however, this should be a thing
I was thinking of damaging techs to discourage players to not build a flatbed of 300 cruise missiles, but I have to agree that it seems too harsh. The other effects from high heat are already enough to render the tech an immobilised lump, which pretty much means death at that point.

Perhaps it would only damage techs at a much higher heat level, like >300% or more.
When overheating, weapons should decrease in accuracy instead of losing reload rate-this resembles some weapons in real life that would become extremely inaccurate when fired for too long. For missiles (since they don't really have accuracy), overheating could cause some of them to malfunction, dropping out of the air
That's a good idea. Why I planned to have reload rate decreased was because I thought it would be like the tech's automated systems trying to keep the tech cool by reducing the source of heat.

Maybe instead of having block damage at >175% heat, weapons should start reloading slower there, and have the inaccuracy effect start kicking in at >100% and scale with the level of overheating.

Falchoin

I like it. Certain weapons could also add heat (e.g. flamers) while others could add more supporty options by assisting in removing heat (e.g. coolant sprayers). I'd love to see a weaponized GeoCorp heat vent belching huge gouts of flame! All for more depth in combat and give people incentives to build things other than massive missilebricks.

Hmm... maybe missiles could be more attracted to high heat techs too? So many possibilities! that will likely never happen