Suggestion for more energy blocks and variations.

桂桃~

Nov 21, 2017
I think energy blocks are in need of a major overhaul in terms of content. As of now, it is probably the least populated block category in any well established corporation, and especially with the new Tesla weapon and previously introduced anti-grav, creating a paradigm shift in regards to the usage of battery power, I feel like an expansion is well deserved and long overdue.

Over the last few major updates, indeed, ever since the megaton cannon became a thing, energy intensity has been steadily increasing. Explosions damage blocks through shields, leading to repair costs in terms of battery power. Bigger and better shield and repair bubbles with greater energy drain were added. And now, battery powered movement and weapon systems have been introduced.

However, energy storage and energy production have hardly seen any growth outside of simple stat changes to the new batteries making them heavier, lighter, more survivable or with higher energy density. The latest Megareactor battery was quite unique with the removal of explosion damage though. More diversity would be welcome, hence I'll pitch the following ideas.

• Capacitors: These have been suggested numerous times as a non-explosive heavy and low power density or low health battery. Since the Megareactor played with some of these ideas, adding additional characteristics would be interesting, with more defined strengths and weaknesses. I imagine these capacitors would excel at the energy storage role, boasting high capacity and non-explosive characteristics while also having relatively high health ~40-80% block health/cell. On the other hand, it would not be able to be charged via wireless chargers, passively loses charge and charges at reduced efficiency. This makes capacitors suited for short battles, while batteries are better for general purposes.
    • Note: A mix of batteries and capacitors would charge at a reduced rate dependent on the ratio of capacitor storage and battery storage.
    • [Variant] Overflux Capacitor: Behaves similar to a regular capacitor except it will explode on death. Has increased energy density though.

• Wind Turbine Generators: Can generate power at all times when anchored and is more efficient at higher elevations.
    • [Variant] Aircraft Wind Turbine: Only works at high elevations but can work unanchored.

• Electric Arc Generators: I suggested this before, a wireless charger that uses less power than it transfers each discharge. Passing the beam between two techs generates a little bit of power for free and looks really cool, and can be scaled up.

• Nuclear Fission Reactors: Also probably have been suggested numerous times. The idea of a block that just produces power for free was referred to as a very 'modded thing' in the stream on modding. Instead, maybe having a generator type block that takes in exotic components as fuel, producing a lot of energy over a long period of time. Perhaps adding a special manufacturing block to produce even more exclusive and expensive component chunks would be possible too. Meltdowns would be catastrophic and cell size would be suitably large as well.
    • [Variant] Mobile Fission Reactor: Can produce power while unanchored and fuel lasts much longer, but produces less power/second and less power/fuel.
    • [Alternative] Nuclear Fusion Reactors: Would literally just be expensive free energy. 'Cheaty' but we do probably need passive energy generation on mobile techs if future/modded weapons utilise power as well.

• Modular Shield Projectors: Can create a shielded surface with various shapes which fit seamlessly together. In the first place, the purpose of these would be to maximise shield coverage on large techs so they would be pretty big. Passive energy drain would probably be high but combat drain would be lower than regular bubbles.
    • [Variant] Quadrant Shield Projector: Creates a quarter ring shaped shield surface
    • [Variant] Octant Shield Projector: Creates a sphere octant shaped shield surface
    • [Variant] Screen Shield Projector: Creates a rectangular shaped shield surface with odd length and even width

• (Other) Repair Burst Reactive Armour: Armour that causes a powerful healing burst around the area when destroyed, limiting/countering explosive damage. Lower health than regular armour plates though.

Zonko

Sep 20, 2019
I think each corp should have 2 kinds of batteries.

Low power, and high power.
Low power ones don't explode, and are about half as good as current.
Tier 1. Cheap. lots of APs.

high power are about twices as good as now, and somewhat more explosive than now.
Tier 3.

TBH i play with modded ETG blocks, and they are great. a slow trickle of power, meaning i never have to worry about topping off my shields, but it makes no difference in combat.

桂桃~

Nov 21, 2017
My main issue with batteries is that everything has to be balanced around them. From what I've observed, taking fire, mitigating explosions, healing damage, manoeuvrability and now, even offensive capabilities run on, or are in some way augmented by batteries. Since the way these blocks have behaved is pretty static, the most interesting being a non-explosive energy storage, I felt like it would have been more interesting to explore a new concept of block entirely, with new characteristics and mechanics.

That's why instead of a re-stat, I suggested high capacity, high health, high mass, non-volatile energy storages that trickle away energy and are more difficult to charge. As you mentioned, the idea would be a combat-centric battery which makes it effective on a fighting vehicle meant to take on larger opponents and battles, but would struggle when tasked to explore or fight many smaller skirmishes.

Zonko

Sep 20, 2019
My main issue with batteries is that everything has to be balanced around them. From what I've observed, taking fire, mitigating explosions, healing damage, manoeuvrability and now, even offensive capabilities run on, or are in some way augmented by batteries. Since the way these blocks have behaved is pretty static, the most interesting being a non-explosive energy storage, I felt like it would have been more interesting to explore a new concept of block entirely, with new characteristics and mechanics.

That's why instead of a re-stat, I suggested high capacity, high health, high mass, non-volatile energy storages that trickle away energy and are more difficult to charge. As you mentioned, the idea would be a combat-centric battery which makes it effective on a fighting vehicle meant to take on larger opponents and battles, but would struggle when tasked to explore or fight many smaller skirmishes.
Naw. Because batteries that constantly leak away is just more annoying micromanagement.
I use the RTG mod on my techs. Not enough to really do anything in battle, but enough to charge it between battles.

YaYYeeT

Internet Intellectual
Apr 27, 2020
<redacted>
I think capacitors should be like normal batteries but they only come in larger sizes like 2*2*1 and have much less capacity/cell but are non-explosive, heavy, and have loads of HP.