Steam Workshop - Failings, Function and Advice

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Intro:

This (mega) post is parts guide, feedback, bugs and shouting into the void, hence putting it in "Open". I've been meaning to make a post detailing my gripes with the TerraTech Steam Workshop since early 2018, but have never quite found the motivation, given that most of it is outside the control of Payload. (Some game changes might help certain things a little, see below.)

But recently I've seen some talk/complaints about workshop rankings, including my success in that regard. So I wanted to open up this discussion because I don't like things to fester and I've always been entirely happy to explain to other creators how to best use the workshop, as it stands. E.g. on this Steam forum post, in private chats and in my item comments (example).

To be clear, I think the workshop is one of (if not the) best feature of TerraTech! It hosts an entire ecosystem of content creation to inspire and entertain others, driving engagement both of those subscribing to and creating the builds. I'm very keen for the devs to continue integrating more mechanisms by which play creations can reach other players (e.g. suggestions 1, 2). Make *all* players feel like they may be able to get their builds into other players games, and be seen more, based solely on their quality, if possible.

I don't think I would have stuck around with the game as long as I have without the workshop. I've probably spent way too long pouring over its contents and the dynamics of its function. I'd certainly consider myself a top expert in this regard, however vain/sad that may be... :oops::rolleyes:

Failings:

(1) Star ratings are meaningless - an item needs 25 ratings (of either kind), at which point it invariably gets 3 out of 5 stars. The rating is then maxed out at 4 stars. *Nothing* on the workshop is rated higher than that (and nothing lower than 3).

2019-10-25 Workshop 1.jpg

In fact, I think the only thing on the entire TT hub with 5 stars is my crafting guide, which has seen a *lot* of favourites and thumbs up (of course, given the major need it fulfils for advice on a difficult aspect).

Star rating can also be inconsistent between the thumbnail listing and the item page itself (3 on one, 4 on the other).

(2) Visibility of items is based overwhelmingly on view count - with seemingly very minor influence from those who have actually loaded the tech into game. So items can snowball a little (a positive feedback loop).

But actually, this isn't anywhere near as bad as it used to be at the start of the workshop. In the early days, the top helicopter (for a while) was entirely broken as a heli - backwards yaw turning, no pitch/roll control, slow to move at all. It just looked the part. (Of course, the control scheme update has since made it work, and others like it.)

You'd also get items with ambiguous thumbnails snowballing up in views, like this, despite barely any of those converting into subscriptions:

2019-10-25 workshop 2.jpg

However, for the last year or so, this hasn't really been happening. The top spots have generally been filled by techs that pretty much do what you'd expect and are generally pretty good. I think users have got wise and there's a more experienced crew who might be giving the odd downvote to straight up broken stuff, if it gets too high. Also, a small host of expert builders who understand how to get their items seen, helping to crowd out some of the random noise.

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
(3) A good looking snapshot thumbnail is essential - getting a well framed, well lit snapshot can take patience. Especially if you want a nice action shot. I've long been an amateur photographer, so I kinda get into this, but it's not for everyone. And I'd still love a bunch of minor tweaks to the snapshotting system to save a bunch of time and fix certain issues (see below).

This ties in with the above - it seems there's not enough influence from players who've tried techs out, to carry something to the top spot that works well but doesn't look interesting or intuitively clever (e.g. my old hover-steer heli's that flew great, but had a bizarre shape were a very hard sell, that didn't get much traction, despite flying brilliantly - again gone with control schemes).

But then aesthetics are a big part of what makes builds good. And a lot of this problem comes down mostly to human psychology. Just a few early favourites can have a big boost. And it is actually possible to ad these from within the game's tech loaded (unlike ratings and unsubscribing).

(4) Memetics - that's the study of what ideas human brains grab and spread, etc (something that would make the world a much better place if everyone understood). Workshop items are a form of memes and so some generalisations apply as to which users will be compelled to grab (and spread):

• What's popular - a fast and dirty shortcut to what's good. If many others have looked, it's likely to be worth a look. (More positive feedback.)

• What's familiar - e.g. builds that look like a popular game/movie/cultural reference can shine. But the biggest trend in TerraTech is for black and military hardware - i.e. (in the top embedded image) 5 of the top 6 all time most popular items fit that description, the 6th being a great big *yellow* tank.

• Things that *look* complicated - a personal irritation is that a few times, terrible (unfinished, badly optimised and buggy) crafting builds have gone big because they have a thumbnail with a whole mess of conveyors. It's a common misconception that bigger is bound to be more clever, here, from Minecraft builds, Factorio, etc. Or just being awed by complexity.

(5) You can rate and favourite your own items! - And so you *have* to do so, if you actually want them to be seen by anyone. I think Steam should have users automatically up-rate their own items (like Reddit posts), so this cancels out. I'm not sure about favourites, as it can be a helpful feature to index your own work for easier retrieval. Probably should just discount your own fav's.

(6) Very few players interact with items - Of course we can't do anything about the algorithms, but there is a huge amount of scope for users to influence which content becomes most visible.

As well as getting most of my (best) builds into the top 8 (or top 1, even), I feel like I've had a rather big influence on cultivating which of other's work goes up there too. Simply by following promising builders, keeping an eye on the "Recently posted..." feed (halfway down the workshop main page), checking out interesting looking builds and then commenting, rating and maybe favouriting any that surprise me (in a positive fashion).

2019-10-25 workshop 3.jpg

A second favourite on an item within the first 24 hours will usually put it straight into the top 8 scrolling banner, across the top of the workshop home page. Provided it also gets some views and subs and there's not been a unusually big glut of other great builds. Other limiting factors also apply (see below).

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
(7) Search function is terrible - you have to get the spelling of an item name spot on to find it successfully. And you can't search for item authors at all! It's even a little awkward to get to your own items - I tend to click via whatever I have on the front page... :oops: Same method for other authors. So if they don't have anything recent, I have to fish through my favourites, or find an item of theirs I remember.

Text search also kicks up spurious results, as it indexes words in the description. Then the ordering of results can be kinda squiffy, or outright broken. (I swear sometimes the "over time period" drop down list just doesn't work.)

(8) The majority of views are not public - I have many items with more subscribers than viewers. I thought this is purely because most Steam accounts are private. But its also possible to subscribe to items without ever visiting their page. E.g. by subscribing to an entire collection that they are part of, or from the news feed. But I didn't *think* these features are used that much... I could be wrong.

At any rate, your items might have been seen by many more players than you realise.

2019-10-25 Workshop 4.jpg

[Edit 2019-10-30: I think it's probably mostly from the use of the "Browse" page, which has little green [+] button on the thumbnails.]

(9) Items can't be updated - so in combination with the first mover advantage, with older items continuing to dominate, a lot of those all time top times are "broken" hover techs or "outdated" by newer versions.

2019-10-25 Workshop 1.jpg

Few creators will want to delete a successful item, and that would also make it vanish for subscribers, too. But obviously there's a lot of abuse potential if one could Trojan horse new items into subscribers games, etc. So probably for the best. (Would be handy if the workshop had some kind of redirect option or something, though.)

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
@Matt, @Sai Wun, @kae, @zanzistar, @higekun, etc...

Dev Fixable Issues - Bugs:

(10) Ultra low resolution thumbnails of save files is a massive handicap. Very difficult to see what's going on in them, let alone look appealing. Also very difficult to frame well, etc. e.g.:

2019-10-25 Workshop 6.png

(11) Low resolution snapshot bug - apparently a new-ish issue, looking far worst that the native resolution of player's game. E.g.:

2019-10-25 workshop 5.jpg

(12) Remove toast UI overlay white pointer lines. (And disable these toasts for every low battery/shield, etc.) Filter conveyors do this too. Same kind of rendering element, or whatever.

previewfile_1826360861.png

(13) Won't upload bug - has been affecting many of the top workshop posters, so may be hitting a lot more casual players, too, but we've just not heard about it. It sounds like there may be fixes/work-arounds that the game could implement.

(14) Enemy spawns missing their correct names - can't look them up without a name.

(15) Uploaded snapshots have old name when download off the workshop, despite changing it in the save snapshot dialogue.

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Dev Fixable Issues - Suggestions:

Seeing as you devs are working on remaking the UI anyway...

(20) Snapshot previews don't account for the 16:9 crop of Steam workshop uploads. But it's presumably all done in game, so *could* be presented to players before upload. Rather than having to keep guessing and deleting items until you get the crop right.

(21) Zoomable crop for snapshots in general would help greatly! The automatic framing almost never gets it right. And camera POV distance from tech varies with speed, so dynamic shots always require a lot of experimentation to find the right zoom amount.

(22) Time of day or lighting hack for creative mode - I've seen a lot of good builds barely visible in workshop thumbnails and go virtually unnoticed purely for that reason.

(23) Allow tech manager to snapshot your current tech. If combined with the above features, it would really help to democratise making compellingly clear snaps. The auto-framing's not spot on for these either, though. Like little hovers will appear too high in the frame. Also, bits get clipped off the tech due to the 16:9 workshop crop.

(24) Shortcut key for snapshotting - The little change to camera spring already helps a lot for getting in-motion shots of vehicles. Particularly aircraft, from the front, without having to account for the camera swinging around in the time it takes to let go of RMB and left click the snapshot button. But I still miss clicking on that button a lot and so miss some good snapshot opportunities.

(25) Allow making an identical local copy of the uploaded snapshot. E.g. Don't close the snapshot pop-up after workshop upload. Or alternatively allow upload of a local snapshot exactly as it is already pictured.

(26) Add more workshop tags - e.g. "crafting", etc, as previously suggested.

(27) Automatically tag R&D content, to avoid frustration.

(28) Allow unstable snapshots to be loaded in the stable version immediately before, provided they aren't missing any blocks.

(29) Allow techs to be loaded in campaign with missing blocks (provided they are peripheral).

(30) Watermark snapshots to help protect creators - i.e. a "created by" metadata field, viewable in game. Players recently complaining of snapshots being 'stolen' in co-op modes: 1, 2.

(31) In multiplayer modes it's hard to take action snapshots of techs.

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Guide - workshop algorithm behaviours and posting tips:

(A) Items are visible in these main places - notice the different sizes of the thumbnail previews. Also check out the item stats graphs from some of my items (posted lower down), to get a feel for the relative contribution from eahc of these:

(i) 8 items in the workshop main page banner, which are listed in the order shown on the page "Most Popular" over period "One week". The top 3 of these seem to get significantly more view traffic than the other 5.

Items will quite suddenly drop out of the top 8 listing (and the top 30 of this page) about 10 days after they were posted. Even if they weren't visible for all of this time - there's no separate "published" date in the workshop algorithm.

(ii) 8 Items in a static list towards the bottom of the workshop main page. Shown as "Most Popular" over period of 3 months. The biggest hits from the "one week" section tend to go here for a longer burn.

2019-10-25 Workshop 7.jpg

(iii) The TerraTech community hub's "All" tab - mixed in with fossilised videos and such. Seems like very little engagement there, to turn up new material. View favoured algorithm, etc. So I'm not sure how many people see stuff that way.

2019-10-25 Workshop 8.jpg

(iv) General Steam news feed - shows posts, favourites, comments of followed/friends. Again, I don't know hoe much affect this has, even for someone like me, with a couple hundred Steam followers, on paper. Most won't be active and most won't look there or care.

I don't feel like my follower count makes a huge impact towards the overall peak success of each item. They almost certainly do make it more reliable to get a shot at success each time, though, but giving items a nudge off the starting blocks (first dozen views/subs). But this could equally be provided by a fellow creator, curating the workshop with a rating.

For example, the (brilliant) tech on the top spot is by an almost unknown player, with only myself as a follower, after I randomly checked out his previous build, and found it to be far more clever than I expected.:)

2019-10-25 Workshop 9.jpg

(B) The visibility of previous items is immediately decreased - i.e. bulk item posting is penalised. Several times I've seen an item I've posted, just before another, get listed lower than a following item, despite the marginally older item having significantly more views, subs and favourites (and no negative ratings).

(C) Weekends see a *lot* more traffic than the week - so maybe it's a good time to get noticed, but I tend to post early to mid-week, so my item has time to slowly move up the rankings, ready for a turbo boost of views when it's already nearing the top of its trajectory (maximising total views).

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
(D) Ratings/favourites have a *huge* amount more impact than plain views/subs - I guess the algorithm looks at averages, sees they're used very little and weights them as very important.

(i) So a negative rating in the first 24 hours can pretty near kill an item by pushing it out of the top 30 first page altogether (I've had this happen to me). Conversely, positive feedback is extremely helpful.

(ii) I'd strongly suggest to go the positive route, here; it's amazing how easily you can engender positive interactions from other workshop posters by giving them thoughtful/positive comments (and ratings) on *their* items, following them, etc. No need to explicitly ask for favours, just be friendly.:)

(iii) Also, avoid upsetting other users - e.g. other creators generally love you to make a modified version of their build(s) *if* you're very explicit on your item about the origin/influences. Without that (and preferably asking permission, as a formality) people may feel its 'stealing' or dishonest, etc - quite an motivating emotional response! beware.

(iv) Avoid making viewers feel like they've been tricked. If just one person feels click-baited and annoyed enough to leave a quick negative rating, that could be disastrous for an item. Hence I say to make thumbnails and title as straight forwardly representative as possible. No cheap tricks.

Using custom skins on snapshots could be a double edged sword in this regard, too - it makes people click through to see what's going on. But that curiosity could sometimes turn to annoyance, when they figure out that they can't have what they are seeing (without modding, which they're not willing or unable to try). Ditto for including R&D blocks, if not made very immediately obvious. Or unstable branch content (only ~5% of players use that).

(v) Making your tech work great might actually help with this valuable positive feedback. For me, I only post stuff that works as well (or better) than you'd expect. As well as looking good (that's just a another design constraint to explore).

Make sure subscribers know how your tech *should* work, though. Be as explicit as possible in your description, with video and labelled screenshots, if you have the time. Don't leave it up to subscribers to find a nice surprise, stick it right up there in their faces, as obvious as possible.

Conclusion:

OK, this turned out to be a crazily big post. So I've rushed it and no doubt made many typing mistakes. Also forgotten important things and I've got some bugs/suggestion posts in mind to link in the dev's section (but out of time for today). Please point out topics I've missed entirely, by all means. And ask questions. I'll get to replying when I'm able.:)

Last edited:

Bazzietuk

(29) Allow techs to be loaded in campaign with missing blocks (provided they are peripheral).

Some nice Ideas here, but I would like to see number 29 have the ability to purchase or craft missing blocks (if you have the funds, license or materials) for imported techs if your missing blocks. It's a pain in the ass crafting the parts manually. I'd definitely like folder options in the snapshot menu though so you can distinguish techs into them yourself (base, crafting, flying, ground etc) or whatever name you choose and you put them into the folders yourselves, it'd tidy up the snapshot menu a lot if you have a lot of builds in it your trying to find with crappy snapshot images (or dark ones like your pointed out).

Not sure about watermarking snapshots though, may effect loading them into creative mode or R&D mode. I do agree with crediting creators though if you mod or use their techs in big builds at least. Personally I like people taking my ideas and modifying them in ways I hadn't thought of but it would be nice if they said in their post it's based on my design with tweaks. I don't use Steam though so wouldn't know if they had or hadn't anyway.

I would like alternative places to host techs though, not liking Steam and not using Twitter means I'm limited to getting them from this forum if they get posted here that is which sucks :(

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I would like to see number 29 have the ability to purchase or craft missing blocks
You used to be able to just buy snapshots into campaign, before the crafting system was finished, I think. So a lot of players have wanted that back.

Personally, I don't want to entirely negate the value of crafting, so would rather no kind of snapshot buying. But it would definitely be handy to be able to see a list of missing blocks along side the UI pop-up for fabricators. To save having to constantly go back and forth, for those unfamiliar, or with bad memories.

I'd definitely like folder options in the snapshot menu though so you can distinguish techs into them yourself (base, crafting, flying, ground etc)
Yeah, some kind of filtering by tags or folders would be cool. (Especially if the tags integrated with the workshop tags.) Snapshot archiving too, etc. But this is another slight tangent.

Not sure about watermarking snapshots though, may effect loading them into creative mode or R&D mode.
I'm not talked DRM or anything that would ever block loading or re-snapshotting. Just an origin trail (for big, complex builds, especially). I absolutely want others to modify and experiment with my designs too.:)

I don't use Steam though so wouldn't know if they had or hadn't anyway.
Is that a more general issue of principle or technicality with Steam? Rather than TerraTech specifically?

It would be very cool to have a universal TerraTech workshop that connects all the game platforms, from within game UI. But moving away from Steam would be a huge undertaking, diverting coding resources for a long while. If it's even possible.

But console players are definitely keen to have *some* kind of workshop too.

Bazzietuk

With Steam it's just my personal choice really. Never been a fan of clients that you have to install to play games or update etc. The less running on startup or clogging up resources when playing games the better. I have the Blizzard app for Diablo etc which I make sure is shut down, not running on startup and when playing a game it completely exits the app first. Just not a fan of these things. Don't even have the GOG Galaxy installer either but at least they let you purchase games without needing to go through their app first which is why I generally get things from them instead of Steam.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
So, I'd intended (but forgot) to post some web-shots of the hidden "Item stats" pages of some of my items (which only I can see).

(1) Virgin Galactic - one of the first items on the workshop and my first to go big. Perfect example of the 4 star rating cap, with over 50 favourites and positive ratings and zero negative:

2019-10-26 Workshop - Virgin Galactic lifetime stats.png

Looking at the charts also maps out some features of the history of the workshop. It's main peak straight after full release of workshop access, of course. Then notable peaks coinciding with multiplayer mode releases (and possibly connected sales/free weekends? I'd have to take more time to looks those up.

2019-10-26 anotated virgin galactic.jpg

Note that the dev's "tech of the week" doesn't have a noticeable effect. And being featured in YouTube videos is hard to be sure of causative mini-peaks; the click-through rate of viewers (from video descriptions to workshop items) is extremely low.

The connection tends to be the other way around, with YouTubers picking up on the most obviously visible builds at the time they make a video. Workshop fame comes first. I do feel that featuring my own builds may help a little to get an item rolling, in the first couple days, but then the numbers are quickly made negligible.

(2) Airwolf Actual - probably my most downvoted item, with 4 negatives. Still a 3-star rating (would still probably make a 4 star if the numbers were scaled up). I think some didn't like seeing multiple helicopters in a row at the top of the shop. Potentially I also made some flub with the TV reference itself, for major fans - I edited a TV show montage video to fit the footage and it wasn't the actual intro sequence (not that I say that it is supposed to be anywhere, of course).

2019-10-26 Workshop - AirWolf actual.png

(3) Tron mini - Displays very nicely the view/subscriber sources, with a sharp cut-off to the main peak after the 10 day limit on the top of the shop (most popular 1 week). And then the long, steady burn suddenly suddenly stops after 4 months, when it falls out of the "most popular" (3 months) list at the bottom of the main page.

2019-10-26 Workshop - Tron mini.png

The two points on the main peak correspond to the weekends, with a relative dip through the mid-week.

This was my biggest item this year (I think). Featured in my own video that was linked by Lathrix. It also has a perfect snapshot thumbnail that's very clear, high contrast and looks like a popular culture reference. The item works well and shows off a clever trick that most players won't have been fully aware of. Still, it's been unable to reach as big numbers as the most popular items released early on, on the workshop, because there haven't been as many users this year.

(4) GSV Bora Horza 2 - a good example of a flop (relatively speaking, for me, at only ~150 subs, still). One of my best (most involved, creative and functional) techs, with a nice bright snapshot, released in conjunction with a full crafting series video about it, linking the item.

2019-10-26 Workshop - GSV Bora Horza 2.png

But I uploaded it a few days before making it public, with a couple other snaps from that episode afterward it, so its visibility ranking was poor and it got kicked off the top 30 (most popular 1 week) page after just a few days. The small sized thumbnail was a little unclear, too - I should have had the shield and repair bubbles unpowered.

It also picked up a negative vote in the first 24 hours (as did all my items for a while, there). And it was only a minor modification of an much older item, but I'm sure it would still have got at least 3-4 times more views/subs without my cock-ups, etc. Although not do as well as version 1 because of the lower number of workshop users, recently.

Last edited:

Falchoin

I would like to second the importance of a good looking snapshot thumbnail. In order to get a lot of views/subs the tech first needs to look interesting, and be shown in a way that highlights it. Then it needs to function well in order to keep subs/favorites (with the possible exception of a very well done art build). Do this consistently to build up your followers, or at least name recognition, and any subsequent techs you post will be more likely to hit the front page (and stay there for a bit).

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Then it needs to function well in order to keep subs/favorites
Favourites, maybe. Sub count won't be hit that hard by bad function, as most players don't bother to un-sub, or are just passing through. The odd negative rating is going to be the main limiting factor.

Do this consistently to build up your followers, or at least name recognition, and any subsequent techs you post will be more likely to hit the front page (and stay there for a bit).
A main thing I was trying to point out is that workshop success if nothing like YouTube/Twitch/social media success, in that followers only get you noticed. Then it's all down to the attractiveness of your thumbnail and title (roughly speaking). Point being, as a totally new player, with no follwers, you only need to favourite your own item, then have one other workshop user notice your talent and do the same. Like that multi-tech "Centipede".:)

Followers just take away some of that day one dice roll.

Looking at the charts also maps out some features of the history of the workshop. It's main peak straight after full release of workshop access, of course. Then notable peaks coinciding with multiplayer mode releases (and possibly connected sales/free weekends? I'd have to take more time to looks those up.

Erm, to be fair with the "Dev's 'Tech of the Week' " lack of spike, there - the link from the game's main menu (in this case) went only to the modified "spaceship one" spaceship, by another player (which didn't have a link to my original, graphed above). And Twitter gives virtually no click-through by comparison.

The main menu link *is* worth a couple/few hundred views, potentially. From my GBC video's YouTube stats, when it was embedded in the linked dev blog post. Average views went up from ~20/day to ~50/day, for over a week (say ~200 additional views):

2019-10-29 GBC blog link spike.jpg

The main reason that "tech of the week" hasn't been worth much (in terms of workshop visibility) is because it has generally been given to items that already peaked in the workshop, having been up for over a week by the time they are announced. So even with a couple hundred new views the algorithm won't put them back up to the top spots (for "most popular 1 week").

Falchoin

Hmm, looking at my own subscriber retention for items on the workshop and it looks like you’re right about function not playing a big role. Most of my better functioning techs have 90-95% of their original subs. The ones which don’t function as well are generally 80-90% of their original subs. So there’s some difference as you’ve said, but not by a lot.

Also, more anecdotal evidence on the importance of weekends (or Fridays in this case):
546BD73A-5498-4534-A645-3FAE2E4C0C1E.jpeg

The above is a look at the views and subs for the Maul carrier, very big spikes for the first two weekends it has been posted.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Also, more anecdotal evidence on the importance of weekends (or Fridays in this case):

The above is a look at the views and subs for the Maul carrier, very big spikes for the first two weekends it has been posted.
Oh cool, yeah! :D Friday nights have strong Steam activity compared to Saturday (day time) when people are often doing other things.

I'd credit that first (full) day peak to "tech of the week", for sure (Friday the 4th). I mean, the "Maul" was a perfect item (clear screenshot, impressive build, great function, titling, description, etc). But it was also one of the only items to get a dev link within the first 24 hours and that clearly turbo charged the take-off; it would normally be a more gradual upwards slope and I'd guess might not otherwise have climbed up to the top of the most popular listing until a couple days later.

Obviously you can see the 10 day cut-off there, too (3rd to the 13th). And also what's interesting is the relative deficit between viewers and subscribers between that period and thereafter. Now it's up in the "most popular 3 month" section, lower down the main Workshop page, its getting almost a 1:1 ratio of views:subscibers. Compared to about 2:1 in the initial period (of 5:3, or whatever). Same as with my chart above.

Not sure what to conclude from that. Maybe those looking more deeply into the workshop are more likely to go the extra step to subscribe...?

Falchoin

That sounds about right. Some of my items that never made it big (top spot in the Steam most popular 1 week) but still have good thumbnails have up to about twice as many subs as views. The most extreme example of mine that I’ve found is the Harbinger V3 with 249 visitors with 421 subscribers. I think this means around half the subs were from folks browsing the workshop clicking the subscribe button without going to the item’s page. Whereas the V4 later made it big and has 4882 views with 2864 subs, that roughly 2:1 views/subs ratio which is more or less consistent with my other items that have done very well.

And it makes sense to me that those taking the time to look for something are more likely to subscribe. The top spot item may catch someone’s attention and garner a view, but someone who’s browsing deeper likely has the intent to subscribe.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I think this means around half the subs were from folks browsing the workshop clicking the subscribe button without going to the item’s page.
Yeeeeaaah... I think that must be right and I may be talking nonsense above. Just the "Public Number" bit made me think it was some disparity related to account privacy settings. But that would surely pertain to both subs and views figures...(?) I can't search up anything useful on that topic.

I guess this means that most of the time, workshop users make the effort to navigate to "Browse" but then quickly subscribe to a bunch of items, purely from the medium sized thumbnail. Most of my early items have more subs than viewers, particularly the planes. Maybe they were search results, too...? (I'm not vain enough to think enough peeps would be looking through my workshop page to make a significant different to the stats... But maybe.)

I guess higher sub than views (maybe overall, on average?) explains why view count is so highly weighted by the algorithm. Highest ratio I've found is on this plane:

2019-10-30 TwiFanJet 1 to 2.5.png

It *is* in my crafting playthrough collection too, but not more than a hundred or 2 subs via there, I think. My micro plane has a 1:2 ratio and is in no collection.

Last edited: