stealing techs - coop creative

akkadhalet

Lately there have been a rash of online coop creative where players who are quickly kicking anyone who joins, I finally found out why... they are using this to "steal" techs. Kicking the player leaves a copy of that player's active tech, after which the host or anyone else may occupy or copy from tech manager. This is disturbing because some players like myself spend hours in the R&D section perfecting our techs just to have them 'stolen'...why did I pay for R&D in the first place if this is going to happen.

Stolen techs also happen accidentally which is equally annoying. Being abruptly disconnected via ISP incident, router, computer or power outage will also result in occasionally leaving behind a copy of a player's active tech.

In both case, numerous techs of mine have be left and subsequently stolen this way.

I've logged 2400 hours in TT, can't players have a safeguard against this? I should be able to choose who has access to my techs and forbid it when I want to forbid it.

Falchoin

I wonder if a possible solution would be to make it so if a player leaves a server the tech they are using returns to inventory. By returning to inventory it would prevent tech stealing in both Creative and Campaign game modes without making the host lose blocks.

In the meantime I'd suggest posting techs to the Steam workshop you want to claim as yours before bringing them into any public co-op session. That way if someone does steal and it posts it as theirs you have timestamped proof yours was up first.

akkadhalet

Thanks for the reply. It's not that I want credit for the techs I create, but rather I want exclusive use of them. I don't like others using something I created to obliterate others in coop creative. My reasoning is that we all have access to the same tools (blocks), the way we arrange them represents our time and effort to create a unique tech, which then we can pit against one another. We lose our exclusivity to that tech when it remains in game despite our wanting it not to. most of the time the coop creative works as intended and the player leaving, has their tech correctly despawn when they leave a hosts' game.

The problem arises when a player leaves for any other reason (disconnect, connection issues, power outage, pc restart etc) , and the tech remains in the hosts game, when the leaving player did not intend to leave or share it. And lately techs have been left in game (coop creative) when a player is kicked. Some players after realizing this, started kicking as soon as they see a player's tech that they like; they would then kick that player and the kicked player's tech would remain in game and anyone could then copy it regardless of the wishes of the player.

Until Devs fix this, I cannot play coop creative publicly, i'll only play friends only; which is unfortunate because despite paying for a whole game I'll have to restrict myself to a portion of it.

naiunaiu

Oh, I'm suffering from the same problem ... My friend has been reprinted without permission the stolen technology as a workshop item ... This problem is very difficult. I think it would be good to apply something like a 'tag' to each tech. (The tag is like the author's authority. It can be used for important tech that cannot be given to someone else.)

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I think it would be good to apply something like a 'tag' to each tech.
If there were just a "created by" meta data field that shows in the tech loader, it would greatly help a lot of this and also help to track techs back to their creator (from snapshotting random enemies, or odd /pngs you have knocking about your hard drive).

Of course, someone could just copy, rebuilding from scratch, if they were determined to claim it as their own. But a whole lot more work, so unlikely.

naiunaiu

I think it would be nice to have some kind of communication function in 'Tag'. I would like something that would notify the creator when tech was saved by someone else. (Displaying the user name is a privacy violation ...) If the creator can restrict the tech stored through the tag, the tech can no longer be used even if the tech is stolen. If you can erase the snapshot data (may be a little over), this problem will be solved.

MrTwister

On a side note, I would very much like blocks that someone used on their precious failtech to not disappear and go to the inventory instead when they leave the game, if this is implemented.

I have enough incidents already with idiots putting all my spare expensive missiles on their craptechs only to be blown up by the 2nd enemy they meet.