Static filter "Compressor" silos

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Twigjack, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Twigjack

Twigjack Member

Idea: Large capacity storage for the specific purpose of having large amounts of sorted materials on hand.
    • A big old box that can be set to accept only one type of chunk. (I'd be ok with it being any size up to a GC Delivery Cannon, maybe a smidge taller)
    • 2 entry points on adjacent corners, 2 exit points on the opposite corners.
    • Battery-style fullness readout on top with bar color that corresponds to the type of chunk stored.
    • Icon display of chunk in center of each side.
    Pros:
    • No loose chunks to slow down rendering
    • Potentially more storage for size
    • No filters, removing the dead space between silos and conveyors
    • Easier to see resource levels at a glance
    Cons:
    • Takes up more floorspace
    • Expensive?
    • Defined entry/exit points reduce flexibility
    • Doesn't work for components

2. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

Sounds nice, but a venture version at a 2*2*2 size would also be cool

ifnotthe2nd, Twigjack and harpo99999 like this.
  3. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

Should also work for components, especially late game when you can get a large amount quite quickly from scrapping, being able to store especially the low tier components with less lag would be awesome.

ifnotthe2nd and Seth_Seth like this.
  4. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Living in my pizza boxes because mom kicked me out

What about the ability to scrap components?

harpo99999 likes this.
  5. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

A lag free storage solution would be more useful, they only time I'd want to scrap components is early game when I need something and haven't found the correct biome.

Soviet_Samuelson likes this.
  6. qwe2332

qwe2332 Well-Known Member

1. it solved the "remaining" problem: some resource chunks are not able to be packed into compressed block of a certain faction. For example, you built a mining machine and the seam ran out of chunk when you were fabricating a Geocorp compressed block(like 198/120).
    2.why won't it compress components? It'll be much better if it does!
    3.what if it has already stored some resource chunks and you just accidentally pulled it up from the ground or you just retracted it into your SCU.
    Will those chunks be returned?

7. Twigjack

Twigjack Member

1. Yes? Is that just a statement or is there something you want to discuss there?
    2. Components are far less of a problem in my opinion because there's much less reason to keep as many on hand as processed chunks.
    3. C-Silos pulled from ground would act like batteries. They keep charge as displayed on the side. C-silos sent to SCU would also act like batteries; Undo or lose the charge.

8. qwe2332

1.just paying a compliment
    2....I just regard it a waste because I live a rather nomadic life and can't place a permanent base. Therefore, unused resources must be packed up(compressed) or sent to delivery cannons.
    3.It's quite reasonable.

9. Twigjack

Twigjack Member

1. Ah, thank you. :)
    2. I see your point, but I feel that this block is designed for a stationary tech. All materials used to create the components are refined, so they could be put into bricks and sent to SCU like normal, and those bricks can be bought with the money you got firing the old components into space.

10. qwe2332

there are always many people who'd prefer a mobile base.

11. Twigjack

Twigjack Member

Ah, well a mobile base is already going to be huge so I don't see a problem with these silos being on one.

12. Zed

Zed Well-Known Member

Disagree that a mobile base need be huge.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1291553305

Feel free to remove GeoCorp Blocks / Replace with wheels (Suggest Venture Monster / Titan Wheels) or modify as desired. The base itself when anchored works despite its meager resource storage capacity.

qwe2332 likes this.
  13. Deutsche Würfel

Deutsche Würfel I look good in this dress.

So, like the silo that people have been asking for for... a long time?
    Yeah, i think most people agree, given the number of threads asking for it.

14. qwe2332

Actually, I use the "Send tech to inventory" function. It is very useful to deploy a very huge base while living a nomadic lifestyle.

Twigjack likes this.