Staggered firing of weapons

tdb

I built a tech with a bunch of those big hawkeye missiles. It kills most enemies in one or two volleys. However, in missions that spawn multiple enemy techs at once the wait time between volleys is somewhat of a problem. So I came up with the idea of staggered firing. Suppose a weapon has a five second reload time and you have ten of them on a tech. Instead of firing all ten weapons at once and then waiting five seconds you'd fire one weapon, wait half a second, fire another, wait half a second, etc. The result would be a steady stream of projectiles instead of a huge alpha strike. Huge alpha strikes do have a certain charm and probably some legitimate use cases though, so it should probably be kept as an option, perhaps a separate firing button.

This could also address some of the issues people have been asking weapon groups for, without having to introduce more than one extra button. Of course, the ultimate solution would be to allow assigning weapons to groups (potentially multiple groups per weapon) and also choose either alpha strike or staggered firing for each group.

tdb

Yes, weapon groups would definitely be useful as well. There are cases which the staggered firing idea doesn't handle - like activating mining lasers without firing any guns. But since weapon groups need a new UI for assigning the groups, I figured staggered firing could be easier to implement and obtainable sooner.