Spider Eyes/Mandibles... in Hawkeye?

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I'm hoping this is some sort of thing where Payload didn't want to use the EXP corp for some reason and decided to put work-in-progress blocks in an adjacent corp for now. These are straight up Legion blocks. Why are they in Hawkeye? They seem... very very out of place. Jarringly so. I'm also slightly concerned the appearance of these blocks in Hawkeye bodes ill for Legion in general. @Matt , is Legion getting the ax?

Also, what was the design philosophy for the new Groundhog armor blocks? Those seem fine, just kind of odd. Not sure what they add versus what we already have.

Edit: The Groundhog blocks make a pretty cool truck-y looking nose for one of my tanks, so I do like the cosmetic aspect.

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
Didn't you create the Groundhog blocks, Dr. S. Black?

Yeah at first I thought the spider blocks were a Halloween thing, then people started talking about Legion and I remembered my own thread on it where I proposed a ton of insect-like designs, even a claw that opens and closes and compound eyes (not as accessory, but scatter lasers). I hope it's a temporary thing.
See, Payload is a small studio. They have limited resources. Each single step has to be very well thought, the playerbase is large and so are the expectations surrounding TerraTech. The spider blocks are not a coincidence or a tiny teaser of something that would come 2 years for now. Legion is the next corp, otherwise these blocks would be a very awkward joke on all of us.
I just hope they get Legs and AI right, which is no easy task but I feel they are decided to do so, now rather than later.

Last edited:

Faffywaffy

Well-Known Memer
Making venture repair and shield bubbles cheaper. Yes, very well thought out.

Anyway, a new corp can wait. For now, I just want new features that give the game more long-term playing value. Legion will just result in another short-lived spike in player activity, nothing more.

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Didn't you create the Groundhog blocks, Dr. S. Black?
Haha, well, not directly. I am beyond flattered that when I advocated for more HE body blocks with a couple designs, they very generously gave me a shoutout in the new blocks they created as a result. So I guess they consider the groundhog blocks are part of that set. Btw, has anyone noticed if the dark spots on the corner groundhog blocks light up at night? I haven't seen them at night yet.

I do hope these will just be transferred to Legion at some point, but I'm also afraid that their appearance here means Legion got killed.

@Faffywaffy , I'm not sure I appreciate your negativity. It's unnecessary and unwelcome. Adjusting the price of venture bubbles is something the community has been asking for for quite some time.

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
2019-09-24 Hawkeye spider eyes and mandibles.jpg

"Who would want this thing?" Indeed. It does seem to be hinting at something... And we are around a year from BF lanuch (so 1 corp/year would make sense)....

at first I thought the spider blocks were a Halloween thing
But I'd just stick with that assumption, if I were you. Keep expectations low... Lower! Just assume it's random cosmetic blocks while coders are too busy for the good stuff.

Faffywaffy

Well-Known Memer
Saleem Black said:
I'm not sure I appreciate your negativity. It's unnecessary and unwelcome. Adjusting the price of venture bubbles is something the community has been asking for for quite some time.
Well, I disagree. I just don't understand this change. Venture bubbles were already the best in the game. While the other shields/bubbles (the ones that got jacked up in price) didn't really have a niche. They could have just changed Venture's drain rate to 0.5 to make the volume/drain ratios consistent and been done with it already.

I feel like most people who insinuate that Venture's shields are bad take the volume at face value and don't bother testing them before arriving to that conclusion. The truth is, the high price was totally justified because you would be spending that money on more batteries for any other shield just to compensate for the high drain.

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
I just don't understand this change. Venture bubbles were already the best in the game.
Yeah, I've pinged Kris to ask about that over on my shield drain testing thread:
@zanzistar? (@Matt) - given that the venture shield bubbles are now only 16% of their former cost, are you going to be nerfing their brilliantly low drain rate? (I really hope not! :eek: Venture love.) Or buffing the terrible drain rates for the larger shields a little? Or just making Venture the low-key god-emperor of corps?

Aardvark123

Website
aardvark1998.deviantart.com
You might not have realised this, because communication on the subject has been a little lax, but the spider parts and the groundhog armour were added for the new Hawkeye boss who showed up in last night's update along with a GeoCorp one. You can be assigned to defeat them both after reaching license grade 3 with their respective corporations, which nets you some unique parts including a full set of the groundhog armour.

The spider eyes do still seem more like Legion parts, but I love the idea of bosses with unique parts and arenas. It feels as though Payload Studios is laying the foundations for even more exciting missions and stuff.

Attachments

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Ah, yeah. I've not checked those out because I don't have a recent late game save to hand. (I'm kinda slow with my current playthrough, you could say, like 18 months in and only GSO level 4, lol!)

Maybe Lathrix will show us all tonight! Sounds like good content.:)

Saelem Black

Well, I disagree. I just don't understand this change. Venture bubbles were already the best in the game. While the other shields/bubbles (the ones that got jacked up in price) didn't really have a niche. They could have just changed Venture's drain rate to 0.5 to make the volume/drain ratios consistent and been done with it already.

I feel like most people who insinuate that Venture's shields are bad take the volume at face value and don't bother testing them before arriving to that conclusion. The truth is, the high price was totally justified because you would be spending that money on more batteries for any other shield just to compensate for the high drain.
Mmm... no. They aren't the best in the game universally. They might be the best depending on what you want to do with them.

Don't mistake surface area for volume. This comment is for @ZeroGravitas , too. The zone the bubble protects is what matters, not the surface area. In this case, the venture bubbles have half the radius of hawkeye, meaning they protect 1/8th the volume. In other words, you need 8 venture bubbles to protect the same volume as Hawkeye.

Per ZG's measurements, the HE bubbles drain about 3.85 energy per second, passively. (1500 energy in a GSO battery, divided by 390 seconds). Venture drains about 2.08 energy per second (1500 energy divided by 720 seconds). Thus to protect a 15-block radius spherical volume, hawkeye requires only one bubble and 3.85 energy per second; and venture requires 8 bubbles and 16.64 energy per second. For big techs, HE is much more efficient, but if you don't need all that volume, then Venture may be the winner.

A separate argument can be made about drain-per-hit, where venture has a clear advantage, but conversely, Hawkeye could claim a more distant barrier helps prevent explosive bleedthrough. But all things considered, I don't think venture and hawkeye shields are dramatically out of balance with each other.

I do agree the price-cut for venture bubbles was... aggressive. But it's original price was a problem, too.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
I'm hoping this is some sort of thing where Payload didn't want to use the EXP corp for some reason and decided to put work-in-progress blocks in an adjacent corp for now. These are straight up Legion blocks. Why are they in Hawkeye? They seem... very very out of place. Jarringly so. I'm also slightly concerned the appearance of these blocks in Hawkeye bodes ill for Legion in general. @Matt , is Legion getting the ax?
You don't need to worry about Legion. If/when they come to TerraTech they will have their own unique set of blocks.