Speed-o-METER displays MILES per hour

Hlebuw3k

The Bread Cat
Dear Payload,

So i noticed that the system for measurement is not consistent, sometimes its meters, sometimes its feets and miles per hour. I would love to see an option that allows you to choose wich measurement system will be displayed, and THE MOST IMPORTANT PART is i want it to be CONSISTENT. If i chosed meters, i want it to be meters / celsius / kilometers per hour, and the same with imperial system. Its not that hard, yet will satisfy a lot of players, because as of right now, the game shows meters in mission menu, in tech manager, and above other players if you are in multiplayer mode. But if you put a "alti-METER" on your tech, it will show you how many FEETS you are away from the sea level. And if you put a "speed-o-METER" on your tech, it will show you how much MILES you are going a hour. Where is the logic? YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! THERE IS NONE!!! The same with "LASERS", wich DONT work as actual LASERS. They work as HIGH VELOCITY PLASMA THROWERS, also known as BLASTERS. Oh yeah, have i mentioned how solar panels work yet? Dont worry, i dont have much time right now to explain all the complicated stuff to you. But dont be shy to ask me, i will try my best to explain it in simple language. Later. When i will have more time (i always have time). Have a good day!

Sincerely, The Bread Cat.

Last edited:

Captain Load

Dear Payload,

So i noticed that the system for measurement is not consistent, sometimes its meters, sometimes its feets and miles per hour. I would love to see an option that allows you to choose wich measurement system will be displayed, and THE MOST IMPORTANT PART is i want it to be CONSISTENT. If i chosed meters, i want it to be meters / celsius / kilometers per hour, and the same with imperial system. Its not that hard, yet will satisfy a lot of players, because as of right now, the game shows meters in mission menu, in tech manager, and above other players if you are in multiplayer mode. But if you put a "alti-METER" on your tech, it will show you how many FEETS you are away from the sea level. And if you put a "speed-o-METER" on your tech, it will show you how much MILES you are going a hour. Where is the logic? YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! THERE IS NONE!!! The same with "LAZERS", wich DONT work as actual LAZERS. They work as HIGH VELOCITY PLASMA THROWERS, also known as BLASTERS. Oh yeah, have i mentioned how solar panels work yet? Dont worry, i dont have much time right now to explain all the complicated stuff to a small team of indie game developers, also known as PAYLOAD STUDIOS. But dont be shy to ask me, i will try my best to explain it in simple language. Have a good day!

Sincerely, The Bread Cat.
I mean...its a little harsh but he's not wrong. Its easy to get frustrated with that small team of developers because they do have such limited resources but only a small team would have taken a chance on something like Terratech. You'd never see the like of it from an Activision-backed studio, for example..all they do is crank out clones of whatever is popular right now (still "battle royale" currently). A small team can also choose to focus on the things in their projects that most desperately need attention, and that's what we really haven't seen for a long time. Crafting is fundamentally broken not by bugs but by a lack of balance and purpose. The world is seemingly infinite in size but incredibly limited in every other way. Optimal builds and missiles rule all. The technology level of the game really contradicts the need for half the stuff that's in the game. Worse, the established code base seems to be holding everything back. I honestly think we're at a crossroads with TT. Everyone who might buy the game has done so already and after six years we're still in beta, just like nearly every other sandbox game. Something has to give and I think a major rework is in order. How major? I would even support an engine change if the development crew thought they could handle something more robust like Unreal 4 or Frostbite or...well, pretty much anything other than Unity. If we're going to be waiting another three years to see major progress then they might as well just start over. And by "progress" I don't mean just adding more blocks or corporations - I'm talking about capabilities that we take for granted in other games. I don't think I need to go into detail here..books have practically been written on the forums about it. I may sound like a doomsayer but I guarantee you that sales are flat if not declining. If TT fails we'll probably not see another game like it for a long time, if ever..and it'll no doubt be another indie sandbox stuck in early access limbo.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
So, if I can rephrase Hlebew3k's OP (and respond),

1. TT isn't consistent between metric and imperial units. We are given some metrics in meters/km, and others in feet/mph.

While I agree it is an inconsistency, it's such a trivial thing and literally only on the speedometer/altimeter. I get that non-US/UK folks might not instinctually have an idea of how fast they might be driving, though. Checkbox would be fine, so I agree in principle.

2. TT uses the term "lasers" for something that isn't technically a laser. They're plasma projectiles.

So first, not to be rude, but laser is not spelled with a "z". Now then, it is very, very common in scifi that what TerraTech uses are called lasers, so while they're not really "lasers" it's not fair to expect something different. As to your plasma comment, that doesn't work either. There's no way to make plasma that looks/behaves like that (I studied plasmas in grad school). In fact, plasmas are virtually useless as weapons because, by their nature, they don't store energy very well. I'd be happy to explain why, but that's a bit off topic.

My counter-argument is that TT doesn't actually specify how the technology works, so whose to say that it isn't a laser of some kind? A clever science writer could come up with a description on how "laser bolts" are, in fact, lasers in some way. Just off the cuff, my explanation would be a steady-firing laser whose frequency cycles rapidly, in and out of the visible spectrum. This creates an effect where the beam is visible at some points but not others in same way that watching fast spinning fan can give the illusion that the blades are going backwards. This creates the illusion of "laser bolts". That's just totally off-the-cuff, but the point is that you could find a way to explain it if you wanted.

Hlebuw3k

The Bread Cat
Why i think its actually BLASTERS: They shot what looks like plasma, and it does infact dissapear after some time, wich means it loses energy quite rapidly, while moving slowly. Thats why i dont think its "lasers", it doesnt travel at the speed of light, and i dont know how to make light behave like this. While shields do block "lasers" quite well (at least better than other weapon types), it can be also be applyed to plasma, (simplyfied) with a big magnet. So the shields are actually not that far from reality, and what is more important, that it confirms that "lasers" can actually be miss-spelled blasters. I might be wrong scince i only used my minor understaning of physics, so dont take it seriously, but if you can disprove it, please do so

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
You could spin up a science-y explanation pretty much however you wanted. That was all I was saying, which means if payload can claim they're true lasers if they want, or maybe "Laser" is a product name that has nothing to do with the physics. I'm just saying, imo, I don't think it's something that needs changing.

I think this isn't a problem. I have gotten used to changing speed formulas in my head, so it doesn't matter too much... simply keep a chart next to you.

MrTwister

Metric/Imperial switch would be good.

Also, this isn't an american game as far as I know, why miles in the first place?

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
Also, this isn't an american game as far as I know, why miles in the first place?
Because they're British

Really, there's absolutely no good reason to change this, besides it being slightly annoying to some people. You don't need to measure speed in kilos, or distance in feet/miles. There's no reason to care that "this tech goes 40km, while this one goes 60km," when "this tech goes 25mph, while this one goes 37." It's the exact same in terms of gameplay.

This is merely a pet peeve, and matters much less than something like fixing crafting or getting BF onto console just to shut those console people up

Hlebuw3k

The Bread Cat
While i agree with you, it does not add any gameplay diffirence, i disagree with "we dont need that". For scientific calculations, it would be really useful to have everything in metric system, because that will remove a whole step of converting from imperial to metric

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
While i agree with you, it does not add any gameplay diffirence, i disagree with "we dont need that". For scientific calculations, it would be really useful to have everything in metric system, because that will remove a whole step of converting from imperial to metric
What scientific calculations exactly?