snapshot folders

Penny27

I just thought of this on discord and wanted to say it here. We should be able to organize snapshots into different folders, for different save files lets say, so we can access them easier. all there is to it, just that.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
We know that tech loading can be awkward to use, especially if you have quite a few snapshots to navigate through.

We're working on a few ways to improve this, mainly a new UI.

Website
www.youtube.com
We're working on a few ways to improve this, mainly a new UI.
Which bit of this is wrong then, @Django? :)

Edit:
We should be able to organize snapshots into different folders,
Would love it if the tech loading list looked like the "snapshos" Windows folder, where I already use a folder structure, but collapsable in game.:)

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Which bit of this is wrong then, @Django? :)
A slight amendment to the above.

We're working on a new UI which should help improve navigating through your Snapshots. There are other ideas in the works on how we can improve this even further.

Which poses the question, what ideas do you guys have for organising your Snapshots? A folder system like @Penny27 mentions would be the most logical, but are there any 'wacky' ideas people have come up with that would make it more interesting to access your Snapshots?

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
This was previously discussed briefly here.

The only addition I'd add is navigating by name rather than by image. Snapshots are frequently updated, so navigating a panel full of images (which change) can take some time. The snapshot tool also produces images at weird angles for whatever reason, so it's not always clear what the tech in the picture is.

Website
www.youtube.com
are there any 'wacky' ideas people have come up with that would make it more interesting to access your Snapshots?
"More interesting"... Like, more challenging? Like you'd have to solve a Sudoku puzzle to open the loader menu and if you get it wrong all your snapshots are deleted.....? :p;)

navigating by name rather than by image.
Oh cool, was just about to say something like this. Yeah. Could have an alternate list view, like it used to be, with mini-thumbnails to the left of names. Would there be enough width to have additional info to the right of the name too (as they are limited to be very short)? Date? Description? Game mode? Control schemes? Etc...

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
I think making things as intuitive and easy to use as possible is the way with an UI improvement.

My idea is having categories for filtering techs according to their user assigned tags. It works like that:

• Player decides to take a snapshot.
  • The snapshot saving UI displays many checkboxes with a variety of tech' functions and types.
  • The player clicks the desired tags, and saves.

• In tech loading UI, part of it has these tags for quick filtering.
  • The UI should filter techs with the selected tag.
  • Tags can be changed at any moment.

Now for the general categories by type and function:

• Car
  • Plane
  • Helicopter
  • Hovercraft
  • Antigravity

• Combat
  • Harvester
  • Crafting
  • Sentry
  • Racer

• Multitech
  • Mods

• Campaign
  • Creative
  • R&D
  • Multiplayer

I guess that should be enough to filter even the largest lists reasonably and intuitively.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I think making things as intuitive and easy to use as possible is the way with an UI improvement.

My idea is having categories for filtering techs according to their user assigned tags. It works like that:

• Player decides to take a snapshot.
  • The snapshot saving UI displays many checkboxes with a variety of tech' functions and types.
  • The player clicks the desired tags, and saves.

• In tech loading UI, part of it has these tags for quick filtering.
  • The UI should filter techs with the selected tag.
  • Tags can be changed at any moment.

Now for the general categories by type and function:

• Car
  • Plane
  • Helicopter
  • Hovercraft
  • Antigravity

• Combat
  • Harvester
  • Crafting
  • Sentry
  • Racer

• Multitech
  • Mods

• Campaign
  • Creative
  • R&D
  • Multiplayer

I guess that should be enough to filter even the largest lists reasonably and intuitively.
I like this, though it might be worthwhile to allow players to sort by their own custom categories, letting us make our own tags essentially. Personally I'd organize primarily as "work in progress", "complete", "obsolete", and "scrap" (for techs I'm not happy with but might revisit someday). I may also organize by control scheme. I have two different styles of airships which use different control schemes. Might be nice to put them in separate places. I think a lot of people might organize techs by corporation, too.