Shorter tractor range for tractor pads

Captain Load

I'm starting to get frustrated with what seems like an excessive range to tractor pads..I swear their at least double what they were in 0.6. When you're trying to organize stuff between mobile techs, TSs and bases its really annoying to have chunks being snatched from halfway across the screen. Receivers obviously need that kind of range but pads are so insane that I've started building harvesting techs that use pads instead of receivers. I discovered that you could use them as silos totally by accident and it eliminates the need for both raw material silos and receivers. They'll even backfill in series as long as there is a filter conveyor between 'em. Maybe I once knew this and just forgot..I haven't done much crafting for a long time because its been pointless.

Rafs

Collecting the Infinity Terminals
Just before I say anything, are you talking about Collectors when you say Tractor Pads?

Captain Load

Just before I say anything, are you talking about Collectors when you say Tractor Pads?
Sorry, yeah. When I first started playing that was a generic term for anything that floated blocks or chunks that way. Then for a while I think its what they called the collectors. I can't seem to get out of the habit.

burger1113

Hmm I've actually been wanting even more range on the Collectors since I've been building large harvesters, especially for ones that hover.
I found that they aren't quite useful as silos because they neither pull resources from conveyors, nor receive chunks from filters.
Only way to get resources into them is by dropping chunks, and I've been wishing that wasn't the case.
Can Fabricators pull chunks out of collectors? I was thinking they couldn't, which would make them useless as silos.

Captain Load

Hmm I've actually been wanting even more range on the Collectors since I've been building large harvesters, especially for ones that hover.
I found that they aren't quite useful as silos because they neither pull resources from conveyors, nor receive chunks from filters.
Only way to get resources into them is by dropping chunks, and I've been wishing that wasn't the case.
Can Fabricators pull chunks out of collectors? I was thinking they couldn't, which would make them useless as silos.
Yeah, they can feed anything that a silo does. I tend to put one on the back of large techs just to snag up the stray chunks my receivers don't grab when I'm driving my mobile base.

What might make the most sense would be to base tractor range on the size of the collector. If they would cut the Thimble and other small ones back to about the same as 0.6 range and reduce it by maybe 40% on the x4 collectors I think we'd be good. I also wish they would make it easier to pull chunks off them. If you don't pull a chunk totally out of range of the collector and hold it for about 2 seconds the thing will just snap right back to the collector when you release it.

Rafs

Well, let's go.

First of all, I disagree with the "excessive range" thing, I even avoid the smaller collectors as they have such awful range.
If you have a decently sized harvester tech, and your weapons are in the front of it for the usual walk'n'harvest, the range of the collectors let you place these more freely around you tech (usually at the back), not blocking your other weapons or being an annoyance to the placement of other blocks.
Sometimes chunks may fly away and since you're getting these in small quantities in surface mining, it would be very annoying to have to walk around picking each stray resource.
I have specialized in hovering harvester techs, and one of the first things I suggested at this very forum was a high range collector for Better Future, capable of collecting resources on the ground if you fly above at a considerable hovering height. Currently, the top range Collectors are GSO Flatbed, Hawkeye and Better Future; yet in my concept Better Future would be able to have the largest range of all collectors and thus, work well on harvesting hovers (with a decrease in capacity to compensate). What we got is a collector with good range and the ability of not letting resources fall on high speeds, which is good too, not unique but good, also average capacity, and I do use it in all my harvester techs.

I have never had problem with collectors picking things too far, in fact this has made me use collectors over receivers in one situation: to pick resources from quadminers.
For each cluster of quadminer, I have a central tech that collects stuff with the GSO Flatbed, passing to a mini silo for additional buffering, a refinery and a fabricator of a chosen corp. The large range lets it work with a number of quadminers around, it's really useful, and wouldn't be possible with receivers or any other small range collector.

In your OP you say "pads are so insane that I've started building harvesting techs that use pads instead of receivers". Well, it is common knowledge that you should use Collectors on mobile harvesters instead of Receivers because Collectors "collect", and Receivers "receive" (from collectors). The additional range is there to help collecting, and receivers need their range to reach the other tech collectors and get chunks from them.
If you were using receivers at your mobile tech, you were doing it wrong. Also, collectors with attach points on the sides are great for mobile bases, and you can use silos as buffer instead of the filter or alternator (which would be the one taking things from the collector into a conveyor).
My favorite setup for when I used to have a mobile base was GSO Flatbeds for range, connected to a Venture Silo for buffering, VEN filters and conveyors (to not drop chunks by accident), and so on.

You can't use Collectors as silos as you can take things from them but what you get into them is based purely on what they collect, no other input option. And fabricators can't pick from them so you would need silos anyway. And it's common knowledge that decent Crafting Bases need a way to sort things, otherwise it all becomes a mess and you may not have what you need when you need it, and it's all clogged so you can't do anything about it. Since you can't control directly what goes into a collector other than range, which would be annoying to work around, you sort things with filters, into silos, keeping it compact and organized.

If you really want to organize stuff between mobile techs, without having collectors collect things from droppers, you should use BF delivery cannons (with a filter valve to turn on/off), into BF Receivers, all sideways. You aim the BF Delivery Cannon, it shoots at the Receiver, receiver gets it, profit.

No need to decrease range of collectors. Again, collectors collect, they need range.

Last edited:

Captain Load

Well, let's go.

First of all, I disagree with the "excessive range" thing, I even avoid the smaller collectors as they have such awful range.
If you have a decently sized harvester tech, and your weapons are in the front of it for the usual walk'n'harvest, the range of the collectors let you place these more freely around you tech (usually at the back), not blocking your other weapons or being an annoyance to the placement of other blocks.
Sometimes chunks may fly away and since you're getting these in small quantities in surface mining, it would be very annoying to have to walk around picking each stray resource.
I have specialized in hovering harvester techs, and one of the first things I suggested at this very forum was a high range collector for Better Future, capable of collecting resources on the ground if you fly above at a considerable hovering height. Currently, the top range Collectors are GSO Flatbed, Hawkeye and Better Future; yet in my concept Better Future would be able to have the largest range of all collectors and thus, work well on harvesting hovers (with a decrease in capacity to compensate). What we got is a collector with good range and the ability of not letting resources fall on high speeds, which is good too, not unique but good, also average capacity, and I do use it in all my harvester techs.

In your OP you say "pads are so insane that I've started building harvesting techs that use pads instead of receivers". Well, it is common knowledge that you should use Collectors on mobile harvesters instead of Receivers because Collectors "collect", and Receivers "receive" (from collectors). The additional range is there to help collecting, and receivers need their range to reach the other tech collectors and get chunks from them.
If you were using receivers at your mobile tech, you were doing it wrong. Also, collectors with attach points on the sides are great for mobile bases, and you can use silos as buffer instead of the filter or alternator (which would be the one taking things from the collector into a conveyor).
My favorite setup for when I used to have a mobile base was GSO Flatbeds for range, connected to a Venture Silo for buffering, VEN filters and conveyors (to not drop chunks by accident), and so on.

You can't use Collectors as silos as you can take things from them but what you get into them is based purely on what they collect, no other input option. And fabricators can't pick from them so you would need silos anyway. And it's common knowledge that decent Crafting Bases need a way to sort things, otherwise it all becomes a mess and you may not have what you need when you need it, and it's all clogged so you can't do anything about it. Since you can't control directly what goes into a collector other than range, which would be annoying to work around, you sort things with filters, into silos, keeping it compact and organized.

If you really want to organize stuff between mobile techs, without having collectors collect things from droppers, you should use BF delivery cannons (with a filter valve to turn on/off), into BF Receivers, all sideways. You aim the BF Delivery Cannon, it shoots at the Receiver, receiver gets it, profit.

No need to decrease range of collectors. Again, collectors collect, they need range.
"Let's go"...? Boy, someone is sure spoiling for a fight it seems. Might wanna find a hobby. But then we move to, "You were doing it wrong..." LOL!!! Wow, arrogant much? I can build one ground tech that can harvest, refine and defeat anything in the game. I think you're doing it wrong, cowboy. Oh, wait..its a sandbox game, there IS no wrong way, or didn't you figure that out your first day in? And what are you even wasting time fabricating blocks for? To play more pointless Minecraft? You hit max level in every license and that's it. There is no endgame, no pot of gold at the end of your self-important sandcastle. And WT actual F are you even talking about with turning delivery cannons sidewise?? That's not even POSSIBLE any more. And fabricators most certainly can pull from collectors. Methinks you're either completely full of it or just bored and trolling.

Last edited:

Rafs

Calm down, you seemed to lack some information, that's why I made that post.

When you call for a nerf on a block, which is a serious thing and affects lots of other gamers, not just you, you should at least know the intended function by the devs, even though it is a sandbox game and you may do whatever you want with it.
That's why the range nerf makes no sense, and that's what I'm trying to explain. It is wrong using something in a way others rarely do and thinking it should be fixed to work that way.

This nerf is never going to happen, and I explained why, but if you intend to continue with that, you're free to go ahead, I won't bother or "troll" you anymore.

About the delivery cannon, you are misinformed again.

1565914965249.png

Now I'll go back to my boredom ;)

Captain Load

Well, you got me curious because one of the things I really dislike about the post-0.6 era is how you can't build crazy things like totally inverted production lines and so on. I just spent about 20 minutes fondling d-cannons every way I could and could not get one to do what is shown in that picture, BUT I almost never use the R&D mode so maybe that's a factor. Someone recently told me that it can be, and they also told me there's a special version of TT where every corp has extra skins but Google found nothing so...who knows. If you weren't looking to start something then I apologize for reading it wrong..I've just been subjected to so, SO many posts like that in years past where people were spoiling for pointless conflict that I react instinctively. As for things not changing, I've heard that before and then seen the devs make dramatic adjustments to things that many considered sacred cows. Right now the focus seems to be on optimzing the game for console play so making things easier and faster does seem to rule the day, unfortunately, but a difficulty setting that changes a few numbers isn't all that tough to implement, so hope remains. Also, here's a save showing how you can build a GSO 1-block straight from a collector, if you're interested.

Attachments

Last edited:

Captain Load

Had another thought: maybe they could give GC a block that works for collectors and receivers the way the hover control block works for BF. It seems like a GC kind of thing. Then the range could be adjustable.

burger1113

Had another thought: maybe they could give GC a block that works for collectors and receivers the way the hover control block works for BF. It seems like a GC kind of thing. Then the range could be adjustable.
Hmm adjustable range eh...? Miggggggghhhhht be useful?

Captain Load

Hmm adjustable range eh...? Miggggggghhhhht be useful?
I think the more "agency" (look, a buzzword!) the player has in a sandbox the more popular its likely to be and the more gameplay styles and challenges can be supported. I'd hate to think that the game will end up catering solely to creative mode play..that's not even a game IMO.

I finally realized that only the BF mobile d-cannon will go sideways. I'd been trying the others. /facepalm

Last edited:

AstraTheDragon

A dapper dragon
Collectors are special because they have long range. If they didn't they'd be worse resource receivers. shoulder-shrug-emoticon-4.png It sounds like you've already found a workaround for your troublesome instance with their range, so I don't really see why it should be changed.

(Unless of course the thread isn't arguing that anymore? In which case never mind what I said. If it's now a discussion thread then I have things to add: )

While it's true collectors can be quasi-silos, they rather fit their own niche in most applications. Only GSO and GeoCorp collectors can be used in this way because they have side Attachment Points. Personally I've never used collectors in a base, only on mobile techs as inputs for onboard resource processors, specifically because they have larger range. The GSO Flatbed Collectors and GeoCorp collectors' large capacity is a nice early-game bonus too, such as when you must still anchor to refine, sell and burn resources and when silos are rare-ish.

Someone recently told me that it can be, and they also told me there's a special version of TT where every corp has extra skins but Google found nothing so...who knows.
Could this perhaps be version ≥1.1 - the Custom Skins Update which introduced the reskin tool and an alternate skin for all corporations? If so that's not 'special,' but available to all. To find news like that I'd recommend searching through the Steam news page for TerraTech rather than a search engine.

Captain Load

Yeah I have the one alternate skin like everyone does but supposedly there's another version (or maybe a DLC) that adds more. If so its not on the site anywhere I can see and I've never ran across it.

Yeah, I've just started using receivers + silos on all stationary bases again and mostly collectors on mobile ones. Not worth arguing about when so much more important things are still broken.

Rafs

The list of official alt skins:

1.Basic Alts, one per corp.
2.GSO Kickstarter skins, +1 to +3 depending on backer tier afaik.
3.PS4 Blue Venture.
4.XBOX Forest Camo Hawkeye.
5.Two "washed out" GSO skins probably for console.

Skins from 2 to 5 are commonly seen in pirated versions of the game, never saw these on legit games (the console skins aren't available yet for consoles).

And anything else is custom modded skins.

Oh and to not go completely off topic, the Better Future Mobile Delivery Cannon can be rotated in all directions in any gamemode, but only this cannon. The same happens with some other BF crafting parts such as the Refinery. Overlook of the devs? Intended Feature? Nobody knows, but a great feature nonetheless and puts it apart of other corps (also enables interesting designs).

Last edited:

Captain Load

The list of official alt skins:

1.Basic Alts, one per corp.
2.GSO Kickstarter skins, +1 to +3 depending on backer tier afaik.
3.PS4 Blue Venture.
4.XBOX Forest Camo Hawkeye.
5.Two "washed out" GSO skins probably for console.

Skins from 2 to 5 are commonly seen in pirated versions of the game, never saw these on legit games (the console skins aren't available yet for consoles).

And anything else is custom modded skins.

Oh and to not go completely off topic, the Better Future Mobile Delivery Cannon can be rotated in all directions in any gamemode, but only this cannon. The same happens with some other BF crafting parts such as the Refinery. Overlook of the devs? Intended Feature? Nobody knows, but a great feature nonetheless and puts it apart of other corps (also enables interesting designs).
Said it before but I'll say it again: kind of miss being able to place manufacturing blocks in almost any orientation. Did it always make sense? Nope. Was it annoying as heck trying to get stuff to line up the way you wanted? LOL, yep. But it was fun to build freakshow techs with upside-down production lines and such. I wish we had proper control over orientation instead of just click-click-click. Like if we could hold down a key while moving the mouse to to rotate a block CAD-style to the exact orientation we liked.

Last edited: