Selectable portraits

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
I don't see you boys going FMV with this title.

But we still need story.

My suggestion is to go the route that many other games do, use small character portraits.
(Space Pirates and Zombies, ShadowRun)

And also allow the player to select their own and add their own picture.

That way you can add a level of choice/customizability, without needing 6 sets of voice prompts and FMV to go with them.

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
Indie games do not have massive budgets.

Because of this, they usually cannot do things like have full motion video, 16 paid voice actors to do character voices, and stuff like that.

One option that still allows you to have a fair bit of variety for 'my character' without needing massive art assets is to have a series of selectable portraits for 'character generation.'

like:

and if you don't like any of those, you just drop a .png of the right size into the 'portrait folder' and have your own.

do you get it?

Reactions: GameSpender

GameSpender

Dec 21, 2014
Indie games do not have massive budgets.

Because of this, they usually cannot do things like have full motion video, 16 paid voice actors to do character voices, and stuff like that.

One option that still allows you to have a fair bit of variety for 'my character' without needing massive art assets is to have a series of selectable portraits for 'character generation.'

like:

and if you don't like any of those, you just drop a .png of the right size into the 'portrait folder' and have your own.

do you get it?
aha thx m8