SCU storage overhaul

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Sokolov, Sep 8, 2018.

?

Would you like to see it in-game?

1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes,but with some adjustments...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sokolov

Sokolov Well-Known Member

IMHO, SCU units are too OP as you can place them anywhere, store endless amount of blocks in them and so on.
    So I would suggest a total SCU storage overhaul.

It will be based on a new measurement unit - Blocks-of-Space(BoS), with 1 GSO One block taking exactly one, Geocorp Basic block takes 8, GeoCorp "The Big One" taking 32 and so on. Resource block could possibly require more than their size though.
    The BoS could be obtained in several ways:
    1)Some BoS are given to player as a prospector, and you get more by upgrading your licenses.
    2)Some can be bought forever for BB-but not so much.
    3)Some could be rented for BB.
    4)Some can be added by crafting and placing(and possibly powering up) new special blocks - Quantum Storage Cells. They can come in a variety of sizes and crafting costs.
    If a rent expires or a Quantum Storage Cell is destroyed AND the BoS of blocks kept in SCU exceeds the limit, there are 3 possible outcomes:
    1) A player loses all blocks of the lowest value which were kept in the rented BoS.
    2)All blocks put last in those BoS will become temporarily unavaliable-until you rent the space again-or obtain the nessesary BoS amount
    3)All blocks put last in those BoS will pour out of the SCU.
    Some other ideas(some may have been proposed, some have not)
    1)Paint and beam blocks only in SCU range.
    2)Make an SCU explode like a bomb when destroyed while powering up

#1 Sokolov, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. Lost Ninja

Lost Ninja Well-Known Member

When I first played TT there was no storage, you ended up with stacks of blocks laying around in the expectation of using them for your next project. If you remove the functionality of the SCU that's what the game would go back to. I'd love to see a limit on it's capacity, and have the ability to upgrade it, but I'd want the basic capacity be enough for all but the most hardcore players. Because otherwise there really isn't much point in having one. Building other blocks to expand the structure would be fine if the game was a Minecraft style game were you are pretty much always going to have at least one stationary base, whereas especially when you'd need the huge storage SCU in the end-game you can be far more mobile, consequently either leaving your storage blocks behind in an un-loaded "tile" where they will do nothing if they become overloaded or underfunded. Or carry them with you with the risk of losing everything if they die.

The other thing is if the SCU is too OP, what does making it smaller do to address that? The OPness is the ease of use, not having to build a stack of blocks just letting them be sucked up. So to actually address the OPness you're rally looking at making them difficult to place, have long charge times, be weak enough for enemies to one shot, or maybe be very slow to pick blocks up... all of which have been done and to be honest annoy rather than make less OP.

3. Sokolov

I understand your concerns, and I may have just a solution for this - making it save its functionality AND making it a little more balanced.
    Let an SCU be a multi-block structure - like in minecraft, which needs some power. For example it can look like so:
    XSXSX
    XSCSX
    XSXSX
    One layered multiblock structure, where S - structural block, X- some kind of charging laser and C - core. SCU core can not be stored in an SCU(or at least can not be painted outside of an another SCU range). All blocks could have the dimensions of 1x1x2(height), while the core is 1x1x1, so you can have it on your tech at all times. In return , buff its sucking speed and health. Charging speed should remain the same.
    As of Faction SCUs - have no ideas right now.

4. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Nothing is good enough!

SCU is perfect if you do not play with miniature techs. I see nothing OP for it beside mobility. So if devs want to do something about it they just have to make it consume power and have loooong powering up time, so there is BIG difference between stationary and mobile SCU. Everything else is just perfect.
    BTW place some image as your avatar, it is kind of awkward to listen to talk to that blue thing... kind like talking to somebody who is not there :)

merkesch likes this.
  5. Lost Ninja

I don't think that that addresses my issues at all. If the SCU is OP - I don't really think that it is - it needs to be made harder to use to reduce that OPness. Making it harder to build or god forbid making it into a multi-block (which wouldn't work not playing Minecraft here), wouldn't be that solution. Plus the real issue isn't the SCU, because that is merely a method to access the Inventory, which you can use/have without having an SCU at all.

IMO it would be a bad step to take to make the SCU worse or to make the inventory a chore to use. Not unless the whole game was intended to be some sort of HC survival game, which as it stands it isn't.

Sokolov and AstraTheDragon like this.
  6. Sokolov

I think I got your point here... You are quite right - probably making SCU just harder to use would not be solution - just an annoying limitation. But I really dislike the battle concept after you get an SCU (kill enemy - place an SCU - suck in the trophies - beam your SCU in an inventory - repeat). I feel like the whole concept needs to be reworked - but I am out of ideas(

7. Lost Ninja

With an addition of game difficulty this could be managed, especially if there was a "custom" difficulty option.

Custom option could have the ability to reduce pickup range, pickup speed, charge speed &/or disable SCUs.

These are more general options I've though of since my last replay and aren't intended as difficulty settings:
    • Make the SCU only work when connected to a terminal/fab (or only with unused blocks) would be no good for looting, but still enable easy building.
    • Make the SCU only store resources/resource blocks (I'd like this anyway).
    But I can't think of a useful/fun mechanic to separate the SCU and Inventory.

Sokolov likes this.
  8. AstraTheDragon

AstraTheDragon A dapper dragon

If SCUs packed blocks into storage blocks, it could be quite fun to build vans and carrier copters to transport around your compressed stuff. The problem would be... What happens if a full storage block gets absorbed by an SCU? :terrathonk:

Sokolov likes this.
  9. Sokolov

Interesting idea! Would like to see in-game - and one of the solutions(IMHO). What happens - probably just an explosion - a matter of balance. Turn an SCU into QCD(Quantum Compactor Device) - definetly like it!

AstraTheDragon likes this.
  10. Nightblade Greyswandir

Nightblade Greyswandir Nothing is good enough!

AstraTheDragon likes this.