Scrap Magnet Feedback

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
Lots of balancing needed on this block before it gets promoted.

Place your feedback here! GO.

Cusuno

Apr 4, 2015
Germany
Lots of balancing needed on this block before it gets promoted.

Place your feedback here! GO.
The magnet keeps damaging itself and the blocks it attracts while occasionally also sending the blocks to the sky.
Besides that it's a pretty good block c:

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
Here is the biggest thing that concerns me about the scrap magnet. Is it supposed to be able to make use of the conveyor or are they just to pick up the blocks and hold onto them until you get them back to base.

I hope they will work with the conveyors.

Have a good one

Smoovious Laxness

Oct 31, 2015
it could be useful to automatically pulverize those big blocks I can't scrap... except the blocks I need it to scrap, won't go on the conveyor to get to it. :D

-- Smoov

matik2002

Sep 16, 2015
The Scrap Magnet is very good, but:
  • Items on the ScrapMagnet acts wild,
  • Items on it damage themselves,
  • The ScrapMagnet damages itself,
  • Too much magnet power (check point 1)
  • It flings items where it goes AKA Pressure causes items flying.
Once I managed to get both SM and SM Mini destroyed by scrapping.

I use it in my cool Techs: Groundslice Geoman and Scrap Core.

Smoovious Laxness

Oct 31, 2015
I've been using them to pulverize the big stuff that I can't break down and sell... tho I'm sure that behavior isn't going to last...

-- Smoov

matik2002

Sep 16, 2015
I've been using them to pulverize the big stuff that I can't break down and sell... tho I'm sure that behavior isn't going to last...

-- Smoov
I tried to test your theory, but it seems that SMALL blocks can't be pulverized.
But I didn't test on big ones as my game crashed.

I really want Scrap Magnets that can just attract blocks instead of demolishing them.

Smoovious Laxness

Oct 31, 2015
well, the small ones can be, but you need more stuff to keep bumping into them is all...

I'd just leave em stuck to the magnets, and later on as the magnets pick up more stuff, they'll eventually get pulverized.

since we're not getting anything in return from them, I'm in no hurry to demolish them as long as they are kept out of my way :)

-- Smoov

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
Messed around with them in R&D. They seem like they would be good for Venture, as they aren't affected by speed like the other stuff. Though, they stick to the balls in a really glitchy way, so they aren't worth using right now. The big magnet seems a little less glitchy than the small one, but not by much.

matik2002

Sep 16, 2015
Well I only had a few minute play with one and decided it was basically a less useful receiver that was only any good for physics giggles.
Scrap Magnet can be used to store items for rebuild or for transporting items to big receivers.

Imagine Scrap Core (my Tech) returning to the base (let's say The Fergusson which is also one of my Techs) and it unloads Scrap Magnet items on the receiver. They go to the tractor pad (AKA Trade Pad) where they are sent to Trading Station for selling. It is a compact way of storing blocks on your adventures.

ArmchairGravy

Aug 28, 2015
I'm playing .5.21 Story mode, and I found the EXP Scrap Magnet Mini and have been trying it out. I think it still needs some serious work. When it picks up items it gets damaged, the parts it picks up get damaged and the block the magnet is attached to gets damaged. I've had one magnet destroyed by this even though it was under the repair bubble. Parts that have been attracted to it will suddenly fly off.

On the plus side, it only picks up the small blocks conveyors can move, and it hands over the items to the receivers without intervention.

Given the limited number of items it picks up, the damage it causes, and its unreliability in holding onto what it picks up, I'm going to keep using the large receiver for my scrap gathering.

Smoovious Laxness

Oct 31, 2015
one thing I did like about the large magnet... I was setting it up in an enclosed box trying to use it as some kind of block crusher (for all those blocks that clog receivers and can't be broken down), and after a little while figuring out where its limit of attraction is, I would watch some blocks just barely be attracted enough to overcome gravity, and how slow they would start to move up to the magnet.

this is the kind of thing I'd like to see with conveyors and pads... a more gradual acceleration/deceleration when the items are being moved. (instead of being flung a hundred meters away)

so, it isn't like, object within X meters, gets instantly flung to the magnet like it is with receivers, but a gradual weak-farther/strong-closer type of attraction.

I even took out a block that was under another block, and that upper block just hovered in place for a while until I bumped it. :)

(little things amuse me. :D )

-- Smoov

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
I noticed that, in the community showcase, it worked a lot better than it did when it was by itself. The flat faces of the tech it was on kept the parts from spazing all over the place and breaking or flying off. Of course, it covered the guns and blew it up, but that is the mortars' fault, not the magnet, and that could easily be built around to keep it from happening.

So, a potential fix for the magnets might be to make them a cube shape instead of the spheres we have now.

Smoovious Laxness

Oct 31, 2015
I was just thinking more that a disk would be more platform-like in behavior instead of having picked-up stuff on 5 sides of it.

Using the spherical one, you have to leave a lot of open space all around it.

-- Smoov

matik2002

Sep 16, 2015
Why Scrap Magnets still sit in EXP: Check Community Core, presentation of Scrap Core.

Quoting Kris: "*laugh* That's why it's still in EXP..."