Savanna Biome - New Biomes Design & Concept Part 2

Rafs

Director-General of GreenTech
Apr 4, 2019
This is the part 2 of my series of new biomes suggestions, for the part 1 you can check it here: Volcanic Biome - Design Discussion and Concept 3D Art.
Let's jump right into it!

---

The Savanna Biome

Ever stepped into the mid to endgame of the campaign and felt everything was too small and there weren't many places for a big tech to travel around?
Or that you had to choose between ground clearance (distance from terrain) and obstacle clearance (having weapons low enough to clear the small rocks before your tire crashes into them)?

We need a biome where you can use the enormous GC Excavator or the Hammers high enough from the ground to not get beached constantly but still enough to properly mine objects.
My proposal is a world of giants biome type.
A biome where everything is big, the giant stones and trees have tons of health but also drops tons of chunks, to be collected by the largest trucks out there!

Also:
  • Random enemies should have a minimum size or value requirement, filtered from the enemy pool. This is not a place for juniors.
  • The Biome should start spawning at around 7 to 10km from origin in any direction.
  • It should be rare yet vast: the biome patches are uncommon, but when they do appear they take a large area.
---

Let's meet the resources:

1. Baotabby Tree: a giant species of tree with an enourmous pool of health. It drops tons of wood and rubber, so much it feels like an environmental crime!
    But don't worry, in three days it will regrow.
  2. Savanna Boulder: these mega stones come in two flavors, titanite and plumbite. Tanky as hell, but drops tons of chunks.
  3. Rodian Lightning Tower: a natural tesla tower. Discharges powerful bolts of lightning at anything that comes within the light-green bubble field around it.
    An avoidable hazard, but if you manage to take that colossus down you will be rewarded with heaps of rodite and 2~3 autominer deposits.
  4. Floor decorations include small stones as usual, a pointy grass tuft and flowered barrel-shaped weeds.
We can correlate that biome to the Mountains in terms of available resources, only lacking regular Luxite crystals.
I didn't propose any special monuments to this biome because everything is already monumental.

---

Now, the three sub-biomes:

Savanna Grasslands

(HD images, click the link to imgur, right click "open image on new tab" and zoom!)

Smooth terrain, easy to travel, very sparse distribution of resources. It's a green salt flats.
Average resource availability.

Last edited:

Rafs

Apr 4, 2019
Lightning Fields

Karsts resembling terrain with a mix of smooth land and sharp mountains and ridges. Traversing it feels like a maze, with some paths blocked by the dangerous rodian towers.
High availability of plumbite and titanite, as well as hard to get rodite.

---

What do you all think of it? Are you in the mood of taking down the mighty rodite towers?
Share your opinions and ideas ;)

And stay tuned for the next biomes! Unofficial-modding channel at Discord is where I share my progress, you're all welcome to stop by.

Thanks @isqltychips once again for the help with rendering these HD images! It wouldn't look so good if it wasn't for his support :D

Rafs

Apr 4, 2019
There won't be a next one, sadly my personal life demands I move on, sorry for building up expectations.
But don't worry, I'm sure Payload has even better stuff planned ;)

Reactions: cheesewic

cheesewic

May 31, 2020
There won't be a next one, sadly my personal life demands I move on, sorry for building up expectations.
But don't worry, I'm sure Payload has even better stuff planned ;)
Perfectly ok man, hope everythings going alright :)