SatanGirl666's Custom Biomes

SatanGirl666

May 22, 2020
I'm posting a file with two biomes this time. the Arid Plains and the Twilight Desert.

Arid Plains has a desert skybox, with mountain trees, desert and mountain rocks, and ignite and rodite in higher abundance than vanilla biomes.
The Twilight Desert biome has the same everything, EXCEPT for the sky, which is perpetually red. I am attributing the red color to a large underground carbite seam (miles deep underground) burning under the biome, causing the rocks to spew real smoke, not steam like the mountain biomes' geothermal vents. The extreme amount of smoke turns the sky a deep red hue due to the air pollutants, and only the Salami Trees and the crystalline flowers from the pillars biome can survive such pollution.

The Twilight Desert Biome:
1628041266234.png
The Arid Plains Biome:
1628041484017.png

Attached is a link to my drive folder. The biomes should be there, in the file "AridPlainsTwilightDesert.zip". The AllBiomes.zip file is updated to include these two biomes. However, due to how large these are in-game (each one is the size of a salt flats biome), I have decided to NOT include them in the group called "SatanGirl666's Biomes". If you wish to use them in a game, you must enable one or both separately, or, if you want both, just enable the group called "Arid P./Twilight D. Group". Thank you and have a nice day.

Link:

SatanGirl666

May 22, 2020
Hotfix to the file containing all the biomes and the Rift Biome:
It took a few days, but I realized that, somehow, the file that contains the group called "SatanGirl666's Biomes" was somehow corrupted, along with the Rift biome, and the values for certain generators used in texturing certain biomes had been somehow changed (I do not recall making the index values negative). I have fixed it by removing the group, and making the negative values positive. I do NOT know if the files I had uploaded became corrupted, so I have re-uploaded the fixed files. If you download them again, they should be updated.

You will now have to enable each biome individually at the start of a new game. Also, the Rift Biome is now called 2-Rift. This was to differentiate it from the unfixed version during testing. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Reactions: Aardvark123

RaydenSolo

Aug 8, 2015
I'm playing with all your biomes enabled and in The Arid Plains the rocks and seams become invincible after dealing a certain amount of damage to them. So far all other biomes seem to work just fine

edit: there are at least 2 biomes with this bug, the arid olains and celestite rift, maybe even more.
it's usually some of the basic looking rocks and seams, I wish I could provide more help to fix this

Last edited:
Reactions: SatanGirl666

stuffedshark15

Feb 27, 2021
Not sure if this is feasible or not, but what about modded versions of vanilla biomes? What I mean by this is, as an example, you create a version of the salt flats with higher or lower resource concentrations. Sorry for imposing.

SatanGirl666

May 22, 2020
What about a giant pit? Steep sides and flat bottoms. A great terrain hazard.
it would mesh well with the water mod, creating an ocean
Not exactly certain how long this will take to complete, but it sounds like a good idea. The thing is, it would be difficult for me to figure out how to make terrain spawn at altitudes lower than the vanilla game. I don't see any reason why this would be impossible to make, but generators are not exactly the easiest to make, and are how the topology is generated.

I've tried messing around with generators before, so I know it might be possible to do this.

If I can figure out how to do this, there won't be any underwater plants, but it could have rocks at the bottom. The reason for this is that I have tried using objects that don't normally appear for the Rift biome, and the game glitched because the objects weren't implemented into the final game.

I will look into this, but I don't know how long it will take.

SatanGirl666

May 22, 2020
I'm playing with all your biomes enabled and in The Arid Plains the rocks and seams become invincible after dealing a certain amount of damage to them. So far all other biomes seem to work just fine

edit: there are at least 2 biomes with this bug, the arid olains and celestite rift, maybe even more.
it's usually some of the basic looking rocks and seams, I wish I could provide more help to fix this
Already in the process of fixing this, will post a hotfix as soon as I'm sure it's fixed. And in the future, I think it's a good idea to try mining the resources during testing. I also don't know what causes this bug, but I do know that remaking the biomes it affects works to fix it remaking the biomes did not work. If it had, it would have taken a day at the most.

Edit: During testing, I found that the reason it's breaking has to do with the fact that two different types of rocks are used. It turns out that biomes sometimes only work with one type of rocks. I will have to remove the desert rocks and the rocky spires because I have not been able to figure out how to fix it.

Last edited:

SatanGirl666

May 22, 2020
Not sure if this is feasible or not, but what about modded versions of vanilla biomes? What I mean by this is, as an example, you create a version of the salt flats with higher or lower resource concentrations. Sorry for imposing.
That is absolutely possible. All I would need to do is take the example file, give it the terrain textures of the vanilla biome, then copy the layers of terrain objects and past over the default example terrain layers. Then I would have to modify some data values.

If I wanted to make a salt flats biome with more resource concentrations, I could do that, then change either which generator determines where the rocks spawn (changing that to some other generator used for resources in a higher abundance than salt flats rocks), or I could decrease the layer scale for the rocks.

stuffedshark15

Feb 27, 2021
That is absolutely possible. All I would need to do is take the example file, give it the terrain textures of the vanilla biome, then copy the layers of terrain objects and past over the default example terrain layers. Then I would have to modify some data values.

If I wanted to make a salt flats biome with more resource concentrations, I could do that, then change either which generator determines where the rocks spawn (changing that to some other generator used for resources in a higher abundance than salt flats rocks), or I could decrease the layer scale for the rocks.
A more in depth explanation would be something like the following. Say, you make a biome practically identical, and edit the concentrations to be higher. Then, you make this biome less common than the vanilla version. You could also do the inverse, which would make the vanilla salt flats harder to find by making a less concentrated resource salt flat more common. This, in turn, gives more value to exploring around. This concept could also be applied to whatever biome that you feel like doing it for. This is by no means intended to pressure any specific biome, nor to imply any obligation to do anything, just to offer an alternative way to use the biome injector. Thank you for listening, sorry for wasting your time.

Max Stone

Jul 17, 2020
Northwest US
.....The thing is, it would be difficult for me to figure out how to make terrain spawn at altitudes lower than the vanilla game......
Isnt the salt flats negative altitude?
If I can figure out how to do this, there won't be any underwater plants, but it could have rocks at the bottom. ....
Also, its fine if there areno water plants. I was thinking the biome would be, first and formost, a giant sinkhole looking crater.
I was thinking the water mod would turn it into a good ocean, though.

SatanGirl666

May 22, 2020
Isnt the salt flats negative altitude?

Also, its fine if there areno water plants. I was thinking the biome would be, first and formost, a giant sinkhole looking crater.
I was thinking the water mod would turn it into a good ocean, though.
I see. I have a few ideas of how to do this, but I don't expect any one of them to work. Yes, the salt flats is a negative altitude, but I would have to make it lower than that because ithas to be a a lower altitude than all biomes surrounding it to look like a sinkhole. Also, I'm 100% certain that it would have to be dozens of ft below salt flats level because certain biomes have even lower areas. I will definitely try to make this, but I cannot guarantee that it will be done soon. If I can do this, I will definitely post it as soon as I'm certain there's no bugs in the mod. I will actually probably start on this as soon as I fix my other mods.

Last edited:

Exund

Fancy Modder

You don't even need to do all that
You can just set whatever biome you want in the "BiomeReference" property and I'll will only override what you explicitly set afterwards

SatanGirl666

May 22, 2020
You don't even need to do all that
You can just set whatever biome you want in the "BiomeReference" property and I'll will only override what you explicitly set afterwards
Thank you. I absolutely did not know that the refence biome could be used in that way, as the times when I changed it in the past led to the wrong terrain objects spawning. From my understanding, changing the reference biome last changes the terrain objects to whatever spawns in the reference biome in vanilla TT. If that is the case, then that explains a lot.

SatanGirl666

May 22, 2020

I've done some investigating, and it appears that the bug occurred in most of the biomes with rocks from different biomes. The only one it didn't occur in was the Wasteland Spires biome, which had the rock spires from the pillars and the rocks from the mountain biomes. I've fixed it by separating the types of rocks into separate biomes. The biomes are labeled with the first letter of the biome whose rocks spawn in them. This is to ensure they don't overwrite each other.

Max Stone

Jul 17, 2020
Northwest US
I see. I have a few ideas of how to do this, but I don't expect any one of them to work. Yes, the salt flats is a negative altitude, but I would have to make it lower than that because ithas to be a a lower altitude than all biomes surrounding it to look like a sinkhole. Also, I'm 100% certain that it would have to be dozens of ft below salt flats level because certain biomes have even lower areas. I will definitely try to make this, but I cannot guarantee that it will be done soon. If I can do this, I will definitely post it as soon as I'm certain there's no bugs in the mod. I will actually probably start on this as soon as I fix my other mods.
It was just an idea, not a request. if you cant do it, then thats perfectly fine.
if you can, youve probably learned a few things about programming.
good luck!

SatanGirl666

May 22, 2020
It was just an idea, not a request. if you cant do it, then thats perfectly fine.
if you can, youve probably learned a few things about programming.
good luck!
Honestly, I've been experimenting with the height map generators for the past few days. Already, I have made one with very large, rounded peaks, and I do plan on using that one for a biome in the future.

However, I will still try to find a way to make terrain spawn past the max and min altitudes in vanilla terrain.

Last edited:

SatanGirl666

May 22, 2020
I made another biome. This may be the last one for a while because I will have to go back to school.

This time, I have made the Sandy Hills biome.

It has mountains rocks on large, rolling hills in regular formation. It actually uses a custom generator that I managed to make. Yes, I made sure every resource could be destroyed.

This is what it looks like:
1629471810772.png

Attached is the link to my drive folder. It should be in there. The file called "AllBiomes.zip" has been updated to include it. Thank you and have a nice day.
Link:

PyroSalamander

Dec 11, 2019
Disclaimer: I don't understand how the terrain generation system works currently so all of my thoughts are theoretical.
In your experience making biomes have you noticed or learned of any hard height limits for terrain? When discussing about an ocean biome (just saltflats but lower or something) I thought about the possibility of just taking all the vanilla biomes and raising their levels up to artificially make the lower limit even lower. There isn't any physical height limits for techs and everything leaves render distance 700m up anyways. I don't however know how that might effect certain missions like the RR laser gouge track or arenas/facilities that manipulate the surrounding terrain. I also don't know unity limits currently either regarding terrain/heightmaps.

RaydenSolo

Aug 8, 2015
Yes, I made sure every resource could be destroyed.
what about the other biomes? did you make a patch I need to apply or is Sandy Hills the only biome that's working correctly right now?
I kind of want to keep my current campaign, as it is a real pain to start from scratch again^^

good luck for school btw, I hope you enjoy it