Saelem's Xenoforge [1.1 era]

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Hmm, even on the Cursebreaker, the main firepower is the HE canon turrets, though, and they won't target beyond 200m. I guess they do wide area splash damage that might kill smaller techs by a bit of luck, but obviously the front facing guns and missiles won't hit from outside targeting range.

Just to be clear, I think your techs are great, about as good as you can do with the current thrust control system, which is greatly hold back designs like this.

The mortars, too, don't really home in quickly enough to hit without very carefully positioning about a target, too. Unfortunately.
The main engagement method on the Cursebreaker is actually the monster mortars, not the cannons. The mortars hit quiet reliably once you practice a bit with them. Mortar damage in general... isn't the best. But it can still insta-pop most medium techs. The cannon turrets are actually meant to be mid-range backup for the mortars, but with a large target inside 200m you can easily hit with both the mortars and cannons.

I think the real thesis is that many of my techs have a learning curve. You have to spend time learning how to use them before trying to fight. If you invest in the time, you can fight quite effectively. I've gotten the comment a couple times to the effect that LEM/rotors are holding back the design. I don't really agree. I'd love to have more precise control over lift, absolutely, but imo, my techs handle really quite well once you learn how to use them.

Probably the biggest comment I would say watching others pilot my techs for the first time is that everyone over-steers. Overcorrects on lift, oversteers on yaw. They try to turn when they should strafe, or they try to flip a u-turn when they should simply fly backwards. My techs in general require a gentle hand and full utilization of the control scheme. The Chariots and Cursebreaker can fly backwards/strafe for a reason - it's to position for monster mortars.

General recommendation - if you want to pilot the Cursebreaker well, start by mastering the Strix or the Chariot 1 (not the gunship). If you want to pilot the Runehammer well, start by mastering the Downburst.

Last edited:

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Website
www.khanacademy.org
The main engagement method on the Cursebreaker is actually the monster mortars, not the cannons. The mortars hit quiet reliably once you practice a bit with them. Mortar damage in general... isn't the best. But it can still insta-pop most medium techs. The cannon turrets are actually meant to be mid-range backup for the mortars, but with a large target inside 200m you can easily hit with both the mortars and cannons.

I think the real thesis is that many of my techs have a learning curve. You have to spend time learning how to use them before trying to fight. If you invest in the time, you can fight quite effectively. I've gotten the comment a couple times to the effect that LEM/rotors are holding back the design. I don't really agree. I'd love to have more precise control over lift, absolutely, but imo, my techs handle really quite well once you learn how to use them.

Probably the biggest comment I would say watching others pilot my techs for the first time is that everyone over-steers. Overcorrects on lift, oversteers on yaw. They try to turn when they should strafe, or they try to flip a u-turn when they should simply fly backwards. My techs in general require a gentle hand and full utilization of the control scheme. The Chariots and Cursebreaker can fly backwards/strafe for a reason - it's to position for monster mortars.

General recommendation - if you want to pilot the Cursebreaker well, start by mastering the Strix or the Chariot 1 (not the gunship). If you want to pilot the Runehammer well, start by mastering the Downburst.
I must agree with that, a lot cough cough 92% of my techs require practice to use, and I mean lots of practice, and most have custom control schemes just to throw people off, apparently. Try piloting..... Oh yeah that's right I'd have to look at old ComCore submissions to find the ones that are hard to drive..... Uh....

Anyways, the point is, yeah, some techs are hard to pilot and can seem impossible to use in a certain way if you're not practiced with them,

Saelem Black

Trying out this video thing again. Please take a look where videos appear. The first video is on the Ancalagon War Train. Provided Youtube doesn't ban my account for no reason again, hopefully I'll be able to add more videos.

Saelem Black

I wanted to continue refining the Runehammer concept. I took the same fundamental purpose and continued iterating on the control scheme to incorporate a fifth and sixth axis of motion, while trying to minimize the gryo stabilization which causes airship sluggishness. The result is the most maneuverable heavy airship I've created so far. It sports a larger energy reserve, much better maneuvering, and has a higher top speed. All of this is accomplished on a smaller airframe, smaller enough to call it a cruiser rather than a battlecruiser. It does lose some firepower (though its guns get on target much more easily) and the ability to self recharge, but all things considered, it's worth it. Thus I present the Ironhound Cruiser:

Ironhound.png

Name: Ironhound Cruiser
Role: Heavy Direct Fire Airship
Cruising Speed: 81 mph
Maneuverability: Moderately fast; much better than the Runehammer and much more maneuverable than its size might suggest. Hovers at 75%
Defense: Full hawkeye shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, Energy Capacity 198,000
Offense: 8x HG-1 Cannon Turrets, 4x Battleship Cannons, 4x Hunter Railguns, 4x Monster Mortars
Features: Energy Meter, Stabilization Computer, 2x Block Controller Switch, altimeter, speedometer, radar
Control Schemes: Runehammer 2.0 (incorporates two more control axes to allow it to fly backwards and hold position with a slight pitch forward)

Generation: 4

Check out the video! I do apologize for the poor quality, I'm pretty new to making videos and I haven't worked out all the kinks yet.

Seth_Seth

Confused Leader of the Golden Armada
Website
sites.google.com
I wanted to continue refining the Runehammer concept. I took the same fundamental purpose and continued iterating on the control scheme to incorporate a fifth and sixth axis of motion, while trying to minimize the gryo stabilization which causes airship sluggishness. The result is the most maneuverable heavy airship I've created so far. It sports a larger energy reserve, much better maneuvering, and has a higher top speed. All of this is accomplished on a smaller airframe, smaller enough to call it a cruiser rather than a battlecruiser. It does lose some firepower (though its guns get on target much more easily) and the ability to self recharge, but all things considered, it's worth it. Thus I present the Ironhound Cruiser:

View attachment 27444

Name: Ironhound Cruiser
Role: Heavy Direct Fire Airship
Cruising Speed: 81 mph
Maneuverability: Moderately fast; much better than the Runehammer and much more maneuverable than its size might suggest. Hovers at 75%
Defense: Full hawkeye shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, Energy Capacity 198,000
Offense: 8x HG-1 Cannon Turrets, 4x Battleship Cannons, 4x Hunter Railguns, 4x Monster Mortars
Features: Energy Meter, Stabilization Computer, 2x Block Controller Switch, altimeter, speedometer, radar
Control Schemes: Runehammer 2.0 (incorporates two more control axes to allow it to fly backwards and hold position with a slight pitch forward)

Check out the video! I do apologize for the poor quality, I'm pretty new to making videos and I haven't worked out all the kinks yet.

I do wonder if you use hoverbugs on these or not

Seth_Seth

Website
sites.google.com
No hoverbugs in my modern techs, ever!

I have one tech up here with a hoverbug; it's the Chariot 1, built back in the days when hoverbug was required to be able to control helicopters.
Wait, you seriously don't use HoverBugs?
Aren't HoverBugs the standard for airships though?

Saelem Black

Wait, you seriously don't use HoverBugs?
Aren't HoverBugs the standard for airships though?
I seriously don't use the hoverbug! I suppose hoverbug is the standard for airships, but there's no reason it needs to be. Hoverbug is basically an exploit, so I prefer not to use it when there's no absolute need to. Of course that didn't used to be the case, so most legacy airships use hoverbug, but between Better Future and the implementation of control schemes, hoverbug is no longer necessary to make an airship.

Seth_Seth

Website
sites.google.com
I seriously don't use the hoverbug! I suppose hoverbug is the standard for airships, but there's no reason it needs to be. Hoverbug is basically an exploit, so I prefer not to use it when there's no absolute need to. Of course that didn't used to be the case, so most legacy airships use hoverbug, but between Better Future and the implementation of control schemes, hoverbug is no longer necessary to make an airship.
Well, that's actually nice to hear, While HoverBugs give you a constant amount of height, it's also stupidly hard to balance, Maybe i should try to make a ship that doesn't use HoverBugs...

Saelem Black

Antigrav is your friend.
I actually... don't recommend the antigrav system right now. I mean, it's mostly viable but it's another layer of complexity and consequences are bad if you run out of power (such as suffering battery detonation because of cannon splash damage). Antigrav tends to make your tech very "swishy" and gives you a lot of rebound when you attempt to input control in any direction. Mass is actually very important to making a tech which feels controllable. None of my heavy airships use anitgrav (though I do make antigrav drones from time to time).

Well, that's actually nice to hear, While HoverBugs give you a constant amount of height, it's also stupidly hard to balance, Maybe i should try to make a ship that doesn't use HoverBugs...
I prefer to use linear motion engines. They're what all my big airships are based on. If you want any tips, let me know! I'm pretty practiced at this point, haha.

Seth_Seth

Website
sites.google.com
I prefer to use linear motion engines. They're what all my big airships are based on. If you want any tips, let me know! I'm pretty practiced at this point, haha.
Well, since i have *zero* experience with making flying things with the LMEs (since i've used HoverBugs for my ships) i don't really know how to make ships with LMEs as a replacement for the HBs

Saelem Black

@Seth_Seth , this one is for you. I've been wanting to make a small fighter for a while, though I've been trying to make it a jet or some other pseudo-plane. This talk of airships gave me the thought to make the smallest LME based tech I could. It took me a few hours this evening to design and test fully, but I'm happy with the results. This tech suffers some optimization penalties because of its diminutive size. With a single venture gryo and so few total components (many of which are quite heavy), it's difficult to perfectly balance. I got very very close, but not quite as perfect as some of it's larger brethren. Even so, the much smaller mass and leads to a maneuverability which more than compensates. Most importantly, this is my general airship design philosophy distilled into a the smallest tech possible (while still packing a punch). It has LMEs, gyros, adjustment thrusters, and the weight distributed correctly to make a solid little tech, and I recommend dissecting and studying it if you're new to LME based airships. All my heavier techs use the same basic principles of lift, mass, and gyro relationships as this tech. I present the Gloombird.

Total Block Count: 54
Volume: 9 x 7 x 3 (max)
Total Cost: BB 326,000

Gloombird.png

Name: Gloombird Fighter
Role: Light LME Interceptor
Cruising Speed: 89 mph
Maneuverability: Extreme; Set lift to 80% for regular operation
Defense: Hawkeye shield, Hawkeye repair bubble, Energy Capacity 15,000
Offense: 4x Cruise Missiles
Features: Energy Meter, Stabilization Computer, Block Controller Switch on repair bubble, altimeter, speedometer, radar
Control Schemes: Runehammer 2.0

Last edited:

Saelem Black

O O H how about a blank slate, a mostly functional airship FRAME, sorta a template? I would love a good starting point.
That's a lot more difficult of a challenge than you might expect. Every component you add will change where the center of mass is. The difference between a well-handling tech and one that doesn't leave the ground isn't very far apart. It might be more worthwhile to make a guide. Let me think about it and see what I come up with.

Saelem Black

Some time ago I read a post about someone using the hoverbug in reverse to improve the grip of a tank on the ground, allowing their creation to climb hills it wouldn't otherwise be able to handle. I thought that was clever, and noting that almost all my techs are airships, I thought I'd add a tank that worked on similar principles. Turns out, the reverse lift part of the design was the simplest part. Getting a drive train that was able to handle very sharp changes in angle was the hard part. I fiddled with a number of configurations, but eventually this is what I landed on. Size is limited here - the larger and heavier the tank, the less effective it is at scaling walls, so that demanded a medium tank at the largest. Secondly, much of the space I would reserve for batteries is instead claimed by linear motion engines. By dropping lift to negative 100, it has an extra force of nearly it's own weight pushing the treads into the ground. As a result, it can climb extremely steep hills. Finally, boosters are used here, not for faster movement, but to enable climbing of slopes which are completely vertical. Getting high-centered can also be somewhat of an issue on very jagged terrain, so the boosters help with that, too. Beyond that, though this tech is a medium tank, it brings enough firepower to the table that it can take on any campaign or creative enemy 1 on 1 and come out unscathed, though it's relatively light armament starts to become apparent versus several enemies at once. I present the Capra. Named for the ibex goats which are able to scale even the steepest mountain faces, this has proven to be a very fun tech to pilot.

The Capra uses linear motion engines (set to minus 100) to enable climbing of nearly vertical faces. This thing is perfect for mountain missions.

Capra.png

Name: Capra Tank
Role: Medium Tank, Mountaineer
Cruising Speed: 57 mph
Maneuverability: Excellent for a ground vehicle. Very small turning radius.
Defense: Full Hawkeye shields, Hawkeye repair bubble, Energy Capacity 70,000
Boost: 752 capacity, 16 recharge rate, 86 mph for 54 seconds
Offense: 4x Battleship Cannons, 4x Seeker Missile Pods, 2x Hawkeye Autocannons
Features: Energy Meter, Fuel meter, speedometer, radar, wall climbing capability, boost
Control Schemes: Car [Custom]