Saelem's Xenoforge [1.1 era]

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Hmm, even on the Cursebreaker, the main firepower is the HE canon turrets, though, and they won't target beyond 200m. I guess they do wide area splash damage that might kill smaller techs by a bit of luck, but obviously the front facing guns and missiles won't hit from outside targeting range.

Just to be clear, I think your techs are great, about as good as you can do with the current thrust control system, which is greatly hold back designs like this.

The mortars, too, don't really home in quickly enough to hit without very carefully positioning about a target, too. Unfortunately.
The main engagement method on the Cursebreaker is actually the monster mortars, not the cannons. The mortars hit quiet reliably once you practice a bit with them. Mortar damage in general... isn't the best. But it can still insta-pop most medium techs. The cannon turrets are actually meant to be mid-range backup for the mortars, but with a large target inside 200m you can easily hit with both the mortars and cannons.

I think the real thesis is that many of my techs have a learning curve. You have to spend time learning how to use them before trying to fight. If you invest in the time, you can fight quite effectively. I've gotten the comment a couple times to the effect that LEM/rotors are holding back the design. I don't really agree. I'd love to have more precise control over lift, absolutely, but imo, my techs handle really quite well once you learn how to use them.

Probably the biggest comment I would say watching others pilot my techs for the first time is that everyone over-steers. Overcorrects on lift, oversteers on yaw. They try to turn when they should strafe, or they try to flip a u-turn when they should simply fly backwards. My techs in general require a gentle hand and full utilization of the control scheme. The Chariots and Cursebreaker can fly backwards/strafe for a reason - it's to position for monster mortars.

General recommendation - if you want to pilot the Cursebreaker well, start by mastering the Strix or the Chariot 1 (not the gunship). If you want to pilot the Runehammer well, start by mastering the Downburst.

Last edited:
Website
www.khanacademy.org
The main engagement method on the Cursebreaker is actually the monster mortars, not the cannons. The mortars hit quiet reliably once you practice a bit with them. Mortar damage in general... isn't the best. But it can still insta-pop most medium techs. The cannon turrets are actually meant to be mid-range backup for the mortars, but with a large target inside 200m you can easily hit with both the mortars and cannons.

I think the real thesis is that many of my techs have a learning curve. You have to spend time learning how to use them before trying to fight. If you invest in the time, you can fight quite effectively. I've gotten the comment a couple times to the effect that LEM/rotors are holding back the design. I don't really agree. I'd love to have more precise control over lift, absolutely, but imo, my techs handle really quite well once you learn how to use them.

Probably the biggest comment I would say watching others pilot my techs for the first time is that everyone over-steers. Overcorrects on lift, oversteers on yaw. They try to turn when they should strafe, or they try to flip a u-turn when they should simply fly backwards. My techs in general require a gentle hand and full utilization of the control scheme. The Chariots and Cursebreaker can fly backwards/strafe for a reason - it's to position for monster mortars.

General recommendation - if you want to pilot the Cursebreaker well, start by mastering the Strix or the Chariot 1 (not the gunship). If you want to pilot the Runehammer well, start by mastering the Downburst.
I must agree with that, a lot cough cough 92% of my techs require practice to use, and I mean lots of practice, and most have custom control schemes just to throw people off, apparently. Try piloting..... Oh yeah that's right I'd have to look at old ComCore submissions to find the ones that are hard to drive..... Uh....

Anyways, the point is, yeah, some techs are hard to pilot and can seem impossible to use in a certain way if you're not practiced with them,