Saelem's Xenoforge [1.1 era]

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
This is a re-release of an older tech, with updates from recent patches. One of my earliest Gen 2 techs, the Volcana is a fun tech modeled on the real world A-10 Warthog. It's a pure plane, and was intended to bring superior maneuverability to tighten up bombing runs. The Mod 4 version added exfil thrusters to the wings, effectively halving the turning radius. Over time, I messed with its weapons, energy capacity, and shield/repair bubbles. At various points this had flamethrowers, autocannons, seeker missile pods, and cruise missiles. Ultimately the best choice was cruise missiles due to the fact that you usually only get 2-3 seconds of engagement time before having to loop around for a second run. Repair bubbles were also abandoned in the end due to the dramatically decreased energy life, and the fact that space is extremely precious in this relatively small tech.

Volcana Mod 4.png

Name: Volcana Mod 4
Role: Interceptor and light bomber
Cruising Speed: 88 mph
Maneuverability: Very good (for a plane), very tight banking
Defense: Full shields, 24,500 energy capacity
Offense: 10x Cruise Missiles
Features: Energy Meter, altimeter, speedometer, radar
Control Schemes: Aeroplane

Generation: 2

Saelem Black

At this point, my chariot line of techs have gotten old and decrepit. The original gen 1 Chariot is still stuck with a hoverglitch and its replacement, the Strix, has never seen campaign combat. EXP bombs don't actually do that much damage and they're prohibitively hard to acquire and replace in campaign. I do have an objective to modernize the original Chariot, but I've tried a dozen times already without success. That leaves me without an aerial bombardment tech in my lineup, at least until I designed this. The Downburst is not a Chariot tech (defined by their control scheme, Chariot is basically default hovercraft with a lift vector). Instead it is an altogether more mature control scheme which handles more like a starfighter from other games. W/S controls pitch like an aircraft, but rather than controlling roll and performing banks to turn, A/D control yaw, making it pivot on its center like a hovercraft. Acceleration is controlled exclusively by activating propellers/boosters. As a result, it handles kind of like something out of Star Fox and is quite intuitive.

The Downburst's body style was inspired by that classic "starfighter" look. I also threw in hot-rod elements for extra flare. As for function, it capitalizes on the range capabilities of the new hunter railguns. It is fast, probably my fastest aerial combat tech, cruising at about 90 and dogfighting at 115. It is armed with a moderate 6 railguns and 6 cruisemissiles, but ultimately its purpose is to excel in maneuverability. This thing packs a rediculous amount of complexity into a small airframe. It uses trim gyros, adjustment thrusters, boosters, propellers, shields, repairs, and linear motion engines all working together to make this tech handle beautifully.

To pilot, raise lift to 90 to take off, then leave it. Use shift/ctrl to go forward and WSAD to point the nose where you want to go, or to aim.

Downburst.png

Name: Downburst Corvette
Role: Interceptor and light bomber
Cruising Speed: 93 mph
Maneuverability: Legendary
Defense: Full shields, 24,500 energy capacity
Boost: 376 fuel capacity, 8 recharge rate, 115 mph for 27 seconds
Offense: 6x Cruise Missiles, 6x Hunter Railguns
Features: Energy Meter, altimeter, speedometer, radar, boosters, stabilization computer, trim gyros
Control Schemes: Downburst

Generation: 3

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Yesss! It rises again! The Chariot is back! I sat down last night and decided I was going to remove the hoverglitch no matter what it took and rebuild my favorite bombardment helicopter. I had to strip it down to the bone, then rebuild every last aspect with the new technology of 1.1.0.1. Rebuilding the Rhino 2 gave me insight on all the new tools at my disposal to create a bombardment helicopter, like the trim gyros (I'm loving these things right now), air brakes, and adjustment thrusters. I had just a couple requirements: 1.) It needed to be a true helicopter, so no hoverglitch, no antigrav, no LMEs. 2.) It needed to carry at least 4 monster mortars and be stable enough to bombard with them and hit accurately. 3.) It needed to look as aesthetically pleasing as the original Chariot.

The Chariot Gunship (or Chariot 3) was what finally emerged after probably 8 hours of work. It exceeds the Chariot 1 in every way except that the control scheme is a lot more complicated, and dang, it is a fine looking craft. The first change I made was to offboard and double up the rotors. This allows for a lot deeper lift reserve for maneuvering. Next I reworked the interior to incorporate ion engines and hawkeye adjustment thrusters. The frame altogether bulked out a bit, and as a result, it carries fully double the energy reserve. It also picked up a pair of autocannons.

Controlling and fighting in the Chariot Gunship requires some practice. For regular flight, it's quite simple. The gyros prevent you from pitching so far forward that you lose control and for simple traveling, it retains the stability that is the defining feature of the chariot family. The major difference is that it controls as a helicopter should. It even picks up about 20% top speed. For Combat, things get slightly more tricky, especially at low altitudes, and this is entirely due to the autocannon recoil. The recoil is so intense that prolonged downward firing will cause the gunship to climb, which forces you to readjust and rengage. Ultimately, however, the goal is to bombard at 400-600 meters with the monster mortars, and so you need to only pulse the trigger to fire (keeping the autocannons from spinning up). The autocannons themselves are for close range attack or for small, speedy techs that manage to escape the mortar shots.
Chariot Gunship.png
Name: Chariot Gunship
Role: High-altitude bombardment/intermediate direct fire
Cruising Speed: 95 mph (at 100% lift, full forward pitch, and propellers.)
Maneuverability: Extremely stable while using the full complexity of helicopter controls. 65% lift for high altitude bombardment
Defense: Full hawkeye shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 42,000 energy capacity
Offense: 4x Monster Mortars, 2x Hawkeye Autocannons
Features: Energy Meter, altimeter, speedometer, radar, stabilization computer, trim gyro, 2x block controller switches
Control Schemes: Helicopter [Custom - See Rhino 2 Mod 2 description]

Seth_Seth

Confused Leader of the Golden Armada
Website
sites.google.com
After a hiatus, I have come back to TerraTech to play with the lastest updates. I also started the campaign over, and I have to say the whole game feels dramatically improved. I remember thinking I'd be clever and make a geocorp hovering trailer to tow behind my main tech to do resource processing. It... didn't work at the time. Oh how things have changed. On that note, I present to you, the mighty

Ancalagon War Train

View attachment 26709
[This isn't a tech snapshot]

The design for the Ancalgon was originally inspired my by my much older Adamantian energy tanker. I love the Adamantian and it's still one of my staple techs, but I could do more with it. The Adamantian was inspired by scifi trains, but sadly, due to its sheer weight, it's not terribly mobile. I had the thought to put it on hovers when BF came out, but I could never get it to feel satisfying. That changed in 1.0.3.4 when the exp extra large hover moved to hawkeye. And so, I present the Ancalagon. The name comes from Tolkien's massive black dragon, and given the size of this beast, I find it fitting. The Ancalagon is the only multi-tech I've built so far, and by far, the largest TerraTech creation I've ever built. It's taken me dozens of hours to build it to this point.

So what is the Ancalogon? It's a hawkeye hover train built as a moving base. I'll show each of the cars and engine in individual posts, but so far, I've built seven. In order in the picture: 1. The Engine, 2. Energy Tanker, 3. Scrapper, 4. Drone Carrier, 5. Refinery, 6. Factory, 7, Cruise Missile Battery. The engine alone is over 40 units long, and the entire train is made mostly of hawkeye parts. No antigrav here either (except for the carrier's drones). It feels like a... ahem... freight train to pilot, but to know that any function you could possibly want is being towed behind as you coast over the tops of trees, through the desert, or over the flats, feels phenomenal. The car attachments are robust and reliable, and the Ancalagon can handle most terrain surprisingly well. Each car can adjust hover height on the fly (which helps for mating) and chain-links power down from car to car, always keeping it well charged. Over flat terrain with the cars shown, the Ancalagon can travel at a respectable 40 mph, and 62 mph with boost.

Every car has identical male and female train hitches, so any car can mate to any car (other than the engine). They have a beam of single-axis gryos too keep them comfortably stable while anchored or not, and a every car has at least two heavy gyros for all directions. The train is spectacularly stable.
T R A I N

Saelem Black

After all this rambling about chariot-this and chariot-that, I figured I'd post the actual original Chariot (or at least Chariot Mod 2, which was the update after the stabilization computers were added) for posterity. There's nothing wrong with it, other than it violates my need not to have hoverglitches in my modern techs. It controls simply and sensibly and I put an honestly unreasonable amount of time in making it handle just right. It kinda just drives like a car, but with lift to control altitude. Probably my single most perfect design, in my opinion. Check out the snapshot below.

Chariot Mod 2.png
Name: Chariot
Role: High-altitude bombardment
Cruising Speed: 80 mph
Maneuverability: Extremely stable
Defense: Full hawkeye shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 21,000 energy capacity
Offense: 4x Monster Mortars
Features: Energy Meter, altimeter, speedometer, radar, stabilization computer
Control Schemes: Chariot

Generation: 1

Just for comparison, here are the three generations of Chariot side by side.
3 Chariots.png

Saelem Black

I've gone back and started adding videos. Please take a look!
So... fun story. I created a youtube channel to share videos of my techs in action, and youtube promptly suspended my account, provided no information as to why, and provided no way to appeal. I am immensely irritated with the whole situation, but I guess there won't be videos after all.

Seth_Seth

Website
sites.google.com
So... fun story. I created a youtube channel to share videos of my techs in action, and youtube promptly suspended my account, provided no information as to why, and provided no way to appeal. I am immensely irritated with the whole situation, but I guess there won't be videos after all.
No videos for you apparently

The Grand Teki

Try to email their support, maybe?

Saelem Black

This tech is what happens when you mix Spanish guitar with terratech. Literally, that's how I created it. I actually started by trying to create the fastest, unboosted tech I could which used exclusively hawkeye components. This tech was the evolution of that. This is the Dancer, it is a Hawkeye/Better Future hybrid. It is not meant for combat - it's a stunt craft with a casual relationship with the ground. The BF ion engines at the wingtips show the tracer trails as you spin and dance. It is primarily meant to stay on the ground, but it can fly quite well both forwards and backwards.

Important: best to fly in creative mode with "invincible player techs" on, or else get good at making soft landings. You'll blow out the pivot ski easily if you drop out of the sky doing tricks. It really comes alive at night when the lights and tracer trails show up best.

Dancer.png

Name: Dancer
Role: Stunt tech
Cruising Speed: 142 mph (without boost or hoverbug!)
Maneuverability: This is the most maneuverable tech I've ever created. It is also amazingly stable even at speed.
Defense: None
Offense: None
Features: Speedometer, Trim Tyro
Control Schemes: Dancer (if you grab the snap, check it out. It's somewhat like aeroplane with redundancy to make certain tricks easier.)

Tricks to try:
-(Counter)Clockwise Ground Spin: (A)D on the ground
-(Counter)Clockwise Corkscrew: (A)D while falling in midair
-(Counter)Clockwise Tornado: S + Up + (Left)Right
-Fly backwards: W + Down
Combo these together effectively and you'll see why I named it the dancer.

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
Maybe I can ask @ZeroGravitas or one of our other youtube content creators if they'd be interested in showcasing one or two of my techs.
Thanks for thinking of me, but it would be unrealistic for me to say "maybe", even, given how slow I am. Would love to showcase a load of other's creations too, but doesn't seem likely.

Have you seen/submitted to @reaperx1's Saturday showcase thread?: https://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/the-showcase-auditions.7745/

The workshop is a good way to get your best techs out into circulation, anyway, of course. But it only takes YouTube videos, so I guess you have to make a different account or manage to revive your suspended one, to complement items with video... For use on the forum you could use other video hosting sites (check the media embed options).

Good luck. Don't be too discouraged.:)

Saelem Black

The showcase is there waiting for just such builds :). Its not the biggest show in town, but its always entertaining! Have a good one [8D)
Thanks Reaper, I'll submit for next week!

Moar techs to show today! This is the Fortress Drone. This one didn't actually take me long to design. I knew what I wanted from the get-go and kinda just build it. Not a lot of tuning and careful construction needed. This is intended for use in campaign and was borne out of issues I have been having with techs randomly drifting around. That, and I'd often lose a part or two off a tech sitting idle in my base when I got attacked by a particularly tough opponent. Doesn't matter how much shield capacity you have when the berserking enemy has a weapon with splash damage. Annoying. So I created this. It's a nice mid-sized tech which comes with a dry-dock bunker/cradle for it to rest in when at home. As a result, it has no need for landing gear. The cradle also recharges the drone and has thick armor to protect it. The cradle even has port/starboard lights so you can dock easily even at night.

Comes as a combined unit. Press X to separate drone and cradle.

Fortress Drone.png

Name: Fortress Drone
Role: Anti-grav Interceptor
Cruising Speed: 79 mph
Maneuverability: Excellent - zero turning radius, total freedom of movement in 3 dimensions
Defense: Full hawkeye shield, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 56,000 energy capacity (drone only)
Offense: 6x Cruise Missiles
Features: Speedometer, Trim Tyro, Altimeter, Radar, Energy Meter, Recharging Bunker Cradle,
Control Schemes: Chariot (for docking/travelling) and Downburst (for combat).

1557896158420.png

Drone and cradle independently

Saelem Black

I started building this tech with the desire for a second battlecruiser in my lineup. The Cursebreaker is cool, but having TWO battlecruisers is better. I drew inspiration from googling spaceship images, and used some official art from Eve Online as inspiration. (I have played Eve in the past.) As for role differentiation, the Cursebreaker is extremely stable, meant for high altitude bombardment (mortars from 600+ meters), and is capable of precision (if slow) maneuvering. This makes it essentially the largest member of the Chariot family. Conversely, the Runehammer is meant for direct fire (cannons and missiles at medium range), has excellent pitch control, and has less precise, if more versatile movement. The Runehammer is actually quite a bit lighter than the Cursebreaker, mostly because it's narrower. It is longer, though, and approaches the 64-unit build limit. I have had great fun with the Runehammer, so I hope you enjoy it too!

Runehammer.png

Name: Runehammer Battlecruiser
Role: Heavy Direct Fire Airship
Cruising Speed: 72 mph
Maneuverability: Moderately slow; better than the Cursebreaker but not maneuverable by any means. Hovers at 85%
Defense: Full hawkeye shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 182,000 Energy Capacity
Offense: 12x Cruise Missiles, 8x HG-1 Cannon Turrets, 6x Cyber Disk Lasers, 5x Hawkeye Autocannons, 4x Battleship Cannons, 2x Zeus Laser Cannons
Features: Energy Meter, Stabilization Computer, BF sky anchors, 2x Block Controller Switch, Hawkeye SCUs, solar panel array, altimeter, speedometer, radar
Control Schemes: Runehammer (a variant of the Downburst)

Website
www.youtube.com
You have a whole bunch of (very cool) techs here that use throttled lift (with LMEs and/or HE rotors). Do you find you are actually able to use to to take out enemies in, say, Creative mode (or campaign)? Like, and have fun with it? I find maintaining altitude so much work and so imprecise with throttled lift that I would just never use it, as it currently stands.

Seth_Seth

Website
sites.google.com
You have a whole bunch of (very cool) techs here that use throttled lift (with LMEs and/or HE rotors). Do you find you are actually able to use to to take out enemies in, say, Creative mode (or campaign)? Like, and have fun with it? I find maintaining altitude so much work and so imprecise with throttled lift that I would just never use it, as it currently stands.
It's probably easier to balance than using the HoverBug

Saelem Black

That's a really good question. My techs usually go through a round of "practicality" tests and a design iteration before I publish them, so yes, all of my combat can be used effectively in combat. For LME based designs, I have two avenues for building - the first is to find the hover-point and baseline everything around that. Unfortunately, the heavier the tech, the more difficult it is to find the hoverpoint, but that info is usually included in my posts. My Chariot techs and the Cursebreaker all work this way, and generally the best approach is to only vary lift by 2.5% in either way to control up and down movement. Furthermore, these techs are all bombardment, i.e. dropping projectiles from above (mortars and bombs) and I usually design them to engage between 400-600m overhead. That way your absolute altitude means little as long as it's relatively stable.

The second method is used by the Downburst, Fortress drone, and Runehammer. This is as set-it-and-forget-it approach to lift. Once again, starting with lift close to the hoverpoint, these techs then always move "forward" in the direction that the nose is pointing (like a plane). The majority of the up/down motion is controlled by pitch rather than lift. The LMEs just lift the bulk of the weight. In this case, your lift doesn't have to be terribly precise because it doesn't dominate the up/down motion of your tech. These techs also allow you to "point" at your enemy to fire, enabling them to be direct fire techs - able to use cannons, missiles, and other direct weapons.

Website
www.youtube.com
I usually design them to engage between 400-600m overhead.
Hmm, even on the Cursebreaker, the main firepower is the HE canon turrets, though, and they won't target beyond 200m. I guess they do wide area splash damage that might kill smaller techs by a bit of luck, but obviously the front facing guns and missiles won't hit from outside targeting range.

Just to be clear, I think your techs are great, about as good as you can do with the current thrust control system, which is greatly holding back designs like this.

The mortars, too, don't really home in quickly enough to hit without very carefully positioning above a target, too. Unfortunately.

Last edited: