Saelem's Xenoforge [1.1 era]

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I had a previous tech thread which I realized after messing with the latest blocks is quite out of date. New components and mechanics make many of my older techs completely obsolete, or in heavy need of an update. rather than wholesale reworking my entire catalog to update, I figured I'd just make a new thread. In this new thread, the images will also be tech snapshots, allowing you to grab them for your game if you so feel like. (It's a common sense thing, but I didn't know it was a possibility when I started my first thread.)

First up is an oldie-but-goodie and consistently one of my favorite techs. For re-presentation is the Crow, updated with Hawkeye landing skids for a purist Hawkeye feel. If you're a new player trying to get the hang of making a flying tech, this is a really good tech to start with. Basically it's a Hawkeye version of the Venture Lift-Off and is good for doing venture missions, scouting terrain, and generally having fun in the air. Works perfectly with the default aeroplane control scheme.

Crow.png

Name: Crow
Role: Rapid deployment scout
Cruising Speed: 92 mph
Take-off distance: Instant
Maneuverability: Extreme
Defense: lol
Offense: none
Features: Radar
Control Schemes: Car [Default], Aeroplane [Default]

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Next is a total rework of a previous tech, the Rhinoceros. I wanted to make a tech which was fully capable of utilizing the new control interface - and didn't rely on the hoverglitch. I never liked that I had to glitch my techs to make them function, and so with the implementation of a thorough control system, I resolved to correct this discrepancy. The Rhinoceros 2 uses a modification of the default helicopter control scheme, and flies as an actual helicopter does. It tilts forward to go forward, rather than having secondary thrusters which provide forward force. Turns out that a proper helicopter control system for a helicopter is dramatically more weight efficient than building in multi-axis thrusters. It handles like a real helicopter and takes some practice, but also allows for real helicopter maneuvering (flipping upside down, strafing left and right, etc) which was forbidden to the old model. I won't say it handles easily, but it handles well. It does what you ask it to.

All things considered, it's smaller, slower, less tanky, less shooty, and lower cargo capacity than the original Rhino. But I put so much work into making it handle properly that I don't really care. It still performs it's function, and perhaps most importantly of all, it looks sooo much sexier than the original. It's shown below with a full cargo load of Ignian crystal so you can see it's functionality. Cargo does not interfere with flight handling.

Rhinoceros 2.png

Name: Rhinoceros 2
Role: Heavy Cargo Helicopter
Cruising Speed: Tilt dependent, but 50-53 mph is easy to cruise at.
Maneuverability: Spectacular - it's a lot of fun.
Defense: Full hawkeye shields and repair bubbles, 45500 Energy Capacity
Offense: none
Cargo: 40x Hawkeye Pack Collectors (160 resource chunks, total)
Features: Radar, Speedometer, Energy Meter, Altimeter, Stabilization Computer
Control Schemes: Helicopter [Custom]

Last edited:

Saelem Black

My long-standing favorite tech (the Chariot) was made obsolete by Better Future. BF introduced much better ways to maneuver in air than stacking Hawkeye propeller fans in every direction and using the hoverglitch. For the better, all things considered, but it drove the otherwise excellent Chariot to extinction. Enter its successor, the Strix. It is a Hawkeye/Better Future hybrid built around anti-gravity. Named for the scientific family name of owls, it behaves like its namesake, and glides silently before unleashing its 8x EXP Big Man Bomb bays. Like all my techs I've put a considerable amount of time into perfecting it's movement. It's only major drawback is that it relies on an anti-gravity pip engine to fly. If you run out of energy, it won't leave the ground. In response, the Strix carries almost 4x the onboard energy as the Chariot did, which naturally improves staying power in a fight.

I have custom configured a control scheme originally used for the Chariot which is my default for airship-like techs. The Strix uses it.

Strix.png

Name: Strix
Role: Assault/Bombardment Airship
Cruising Speed: 60 mph
Maneuverability: Excellent 3-axis movement, hover capable
Defense: Full hawkeye shields, 70000 Energy Capacity
Offense: 8x EXP Big Man Bomb bays
Features: Radar, Speedometer, Energy Meter, Altimeter, Stabilization Computer
Control Schemes: Chariot

[Edited for 1.0.3.5 Updates: Alterations to linear motion allowed for inclusion of more battery capacity]

Last edited:

Saelem Black

When I was working on the Rhinoceros 2, I was actually doing a build-off to see which would handle the job of aerial hauler better; a Hawkeye helicopter, or a BF airship. In my campaign I usually set up auto miners all over the map, then return periodically to collect the resource pile. The original Rhinoceros was great for this purpose, and I spent a great deal of time with it. I wanted to see if BF would do it better. The requirements were flight capability, good cargo capacity, high top-speed, and ease of pick-up and drop-off. Here is the result, the Whale Shark. (Yes, I know sharks have vertical tails, don't judge me.)

The Whale Shark operates simultaneously as an airship and a hovercraft. It has 2x GeoCorp HC Scotty Collectors mounted on the belly, and hovers at a distance which allows them to be completely full without scraping the ground. This makes picking up and dropping off resource chunks extremely easy as the tech body itself never gets in the way. It's also fast, sporting a significant booster system. This thing was a bear to create. I spent probably 12 hours trying to tune the maneuvering and I'm still not 100% satisfied. The movement systems in this thing are bonkers complicated (it has multiple centers of lift, if anyone cares), but all things considered, it worked out well.

It's lightly armed and armored, but it's fast and can carry a lot of resources. The only thing it doesn't quite have over the old Rhino is staying power in a fight. But that's not its role anyway. If you try it out, comment what you think. I'm curious about people's thoughts on this one.

Fair warning, you will drop resources if you try to boost with a full load. There's no way around this that I know of.

Whale Shark.png

Name: Whale Shark
Role: Heavy Cargo Airship
Cruising Speed: 72 mph
Maneuverability: 3-axis movement, ground hover and flight
Defense: Full BF shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 49000 Energy Capacity
Boost: 576 fuel capacity, 8 recharge rate, 111 mph with boost for ~27 seconds
Offense: 2x BF Gatling Laser (on the underside)
Features: Radar, Speedometer, Energy Meter, Fuel Meter, Altimeter, Stabilization Computer, AI module, hoverpad controller, boosters
Control Schemes: Chariot

[Edited for 1.0.3.5 Updates: Alterations to linear motion allowed for inclusion of more battery capacity]

Last edited:

Saelem Black

After a hiatus, I have come back to TerraTech to play with the lastest updates. I also started the campaign over, and I have to say the whole game feels dramatically improved. I remember thinking I'd be clever and make a geocorp hovering trailer to tow behind my main tech to do resource processing. It... didn't work at the time. Oh how things have changed. On that note, I present to you, the mighty

Ancalagon War Train

Ancalagon War Train.png
[This isn't a tech snapshot]

The design for the Ancalgon was originally inspired my by my much older Adamantian energy tanker. I love the Adamantian and it's still one of my staple techs, but I could do more with it. The Adamantian was inspired by scifi trains, but sadly, due to its sheer weight, it's not terribly mobile. I had the thought to put it on hovers when BF came out, but I could never get it to feel satisfying. That changed in 1.0.3.4 when the exp extra large hover moved to hawkeye. And so, I present the Ancalagon. The name comes from Tolkien's massive black dragon, and given the size of this beast, I find it fitting. The Ancalagon is the only multi-tech I've built so far, and by far, the largest TerraTech creation I've ever built. It's taken me dozens of hours to build it to this point.

So what is the Ancalogon? It's a hawkeye hover train built as a moving base. I'll show each of the cars and engine in individual posts, but so far, I've built seven. In order in the picture: 1. The Engine, 2. Energy Tanker, 3. Scrapper, 4. Drone Carrier, 5. Refinery, 6. Factory, 7, Cruise Missile Battery. The engine alone is over 40 units long, and the entire train is made mostly of hawkeye parts. No antigrav here either (except for the carrier's drones). It feels like a... ahem... freight train to pilot, but to know that any function you could possibly want is being towed behind as your coast over the tops of trees, through the desert, or over the flats, feels phenomenal. The car attachments are robust and reliable, and the Ancalagon can handle most terrain surprisingly well. Each car can adjust hover height on the fly (which helps for mating) and chain-links power down from car to car, always keeping it well charged. Over flat terrain with the 4 cars (and engine) shown, the Ancalagon can travel at a respectable 40 mph, and 62 mph with boost.

Every car has identical male and female train hitches, so any car can mate to any car (other than the engine). They have a beam of single-axis gryos too keep them comfortably stable while anchored or not, and a every car has at least two heavy gyros for all directions. The train is spectacularly stable.

Last edited:

Saelem Black

The Ancalagon Engine is filled to the brim with boosters and engines. It's role is to pull the entire train, and so though it has some defense, it's main purpose is for pulling. The forward mounted cannons and cruise missile launchers can insta-pop smaller aggressive enemies during travel.

Ancalagon Engine.png

Name: Ancalagon Engine
Role: Train Engine
Cruising Speed: 73 mph (unloaded)
Maneuverability: Unloaded, it handles quite well. Pulling a full train, it handles like, well, a train.
Defense: Full shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 91,000 Energy Capacity
Boost: 2256 fuel capacity, 48 recharge rate, 116 mph with boost for ~45 seconds
Offense: 4x Hawkeye Battleship Cannons, 4x Cruise Missiles, 4x Hawkeye Autocannons
Features: Radar, Speedometer, Energy Meter, Fuel Meter, Altimeter, Stabilization Computer, AI module, hoverpad controller, boosters, BF sky anchor, Block Controller Switch
Control Schemes: Hovercraft [Custom]

[Edit: Improved the look of the engine as well as added increased firepower.]

Last edited:

Saelem Black

This is the second car in the train, and should always be. It is the "coal" car, so to speak, and keeps the engine charged. It also charges the rest of the train behind it, and any nearby tech which drives up to either side. This pic also shows the "female" end of the train hitch I'm using.

Energy Tanker Car.png

Name: Ancalagon Energy Tanker
Role: Energy Tanker
Cruising Speed: N/A
Maneuverability: Some solo maneuverability for docking with neighboring cars, but otherwise none.
Defense: Full shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 441,000 Energy Capacity
Offense: 2x Hawkeye Autocannons
Features: Energy Meter, Stabilization Computer, AI module, hoverpad controller, BF sky anchors, Block Controller Switch, 18x BF solar panels, wireless power transmitters on bow, stern, and center port and center starboard.

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Next is the Scrapper Car. This car is designed to accept any block or resource chunk and sell it. I really loved how the deployable nature of the hawkeye industry blocks plays in this car's feel. They all close their roller doors when the tech is unachored, which is exactly what you would expect to happen for something like this.

Ancalagon Scrapper.png

Name: Ancalagon Scrapper
Role: Scrapper - contains every corp's scrapper, 1 hawkeye cannon, and 1 hawkeye refinery.
Maneuverability: Some solo maneuverability for docking with neighboring cars, but otherwise none.
Defense: Full shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 105,000 Energy Capacity
Offense: None
Features: Energy Meter, Stabilization Computer, AI module, hoverpad controller, BF sky anchors, Block Controller Switch, wireless power transmitters on stern, plasma furnace

[Edit: The original scrapper car wasn't working as intended. I decided to split the functions of refinery and scrapper into different cars to help simplify the the conveyor systems. Now works quite well as a dedicated scrapper.]

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Coming in at a whopping 57 blocks long, is the factory car. This thing is a work of art. I tested it extensively to make sure no blocks got caught in it's intricate fabrication mechanisms. It can except a hawkeye resource cube in each scrapper port, then manufacture literally any part without intervention from the player. You do not have to micromanage component factories with this rig, even for the highest tier parts. Secondly, the scrappers feed single-resource silos, meaning the total number of resources chunks in the queue is mostly hidden inside the scrappers, and as a result, not rendered. This helps reduce the infamous "factory lag". In my campaign, I've used this a lot at this point. It's probably the best factory I've ever built.

Factory Car.png

Name: Ancalagon Factory
Role: Block Factory - can manufacture every corporation block via it's 11 scrappers (for resource blocks), 7 component factories, all five corporation fabricators, and an SCU. It also has purchasing terminals in case you get bored of printing blocks or need an emergency hawkeye resource block.
Defense: Full shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 147,000 Energy Capacity
Offense: 6x Hawkeye Autocannons
Features: Energy Meter, Stabilization Computer, AI module, hoverpad controller, BF sky anchors, Block Controller Switch, wireless power transmitters on stern, Better Future Terminal, Hawkeye Terminal

[Edit: Small edits for hover balance]

Last edited:

Saelem Black

I figured my train needed a way to have a deployable defense, so I created the Ancalagon Drone Carrier. It's a car which can deploy 4 anti-grav drones for base defense via exploding bolts. These drones use BF sky anchors and serve as pretty wicked turrets. This thing was kind of a pain to balance, but it turned out well. Make sure the repair bubbles and antigrav are ON before deploying the drones, so you can position the drones where you want. The weight shift after deploying the drones makes the car sit at an angle. There are pitch trim gyros (on the aft end of the flatbed) which bring it back into balance without the weight of the drones. Makes a good generic flatbed without the drones attached.

Ancalagon Drone Car.png

Name: Ancalagon Drone Carrier
Role: Deployable base defense, press X to deploy 4 anti-grav turret drones; flatbed
Defense: Full shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 105,000 Energy Capacity
Features: Energy Meter, Stabilization Computer, AI module, hoverpad controller, BF sky anchors, Block Controller Switch, wireless power transmitters on stern, Pitch trim gyros

Last edited:

Saelem Black

I thought I'd post on the turret drone itself, also. I'm proud of this little bugger. It's weightless, and sits at 150 meters up when anchored. That height puts it completely out of reach of almost every NPC tech who might attack, and it's twin gimble railguns allow it to rain extremely accurate fire down onto attackers. These railguns are surprisingly devastating. Their accuracy is delightful, and though they might not be as powerful as cannons, they can hit from safely out of range and drill right to the enemy cab. These turrets can defend a HUGE range. Just one can hit virtually the entire length of the Ancalagon.

Ancalagon Drone.png

Name: Ancalagon Drone
Role: Defense Turret
Maneuverability: Maneuvers with BF adjustment thrusters
Defense: Full BF shields, full BF repair bubbles, 14,000 Energy Capacity
Offense: 2x Hawkeye Hunter Railguns
Features:AI module, BF sky anchor, Block Controller Switch, 2x BF Solar Panels

Last edited:

Saelem Black

The two final Ancalagon cars are now ready. First is the Refinery car. Does what it says, grabs chunks from nearby cars to refine, then compress or sell. Has two tandem hawkeye refineries for high speed resource processing. Can compress up to 4 different resources at once. The small venture SCU allows it to grab compressed blocks without interfering with the role of neighboring cars. It can also charge itself with fuel chunks.

Ancalagon Refinery.png

Name: Ancalagon Refinery
Role: Refinery
Defense: Full shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 112,000 Energy Capacity
Features: Energy Meter, Stabilization Computer, AI module, hoverpad controller, BF sky anchors, Block Controller Switch, wireless power transmitters on stern, geocorp furnace generator, small SCU

Saelem Black

And very last; Ancalagon's tail. I struggled with the role this car should take. I tried to make it a towable resource gatherer, a second engine for faster speed, all sorts of things. After building most of the Ancalagon in campaign and realizing it was somewhat vulnerable to attack from megaton spam, I decided a cruise missile battery was in order for the final car. Ancalagon is not meant to slow down once it's going. Stopping for combat is not advised since the train has so much momentum and 7 individual AIs to manage. Instead, it cruises past any assaulter it can't destroy with the engine, and let's the tail rain fiery death upon any who give chase. It is, afterall, a cruise missile battery. The tail also has rows of Zeus lasers. Why Zeus' lasers? They have the unique ability to track quickly and have no directional limitations on turret firing angle, meaning all of them can be firing at once and hit very accurately. There's also a pair of gimble railguns for good measure (which DO have limits on maximum angle). As the final car of the Ancalagon War Train, this has no linkage for further cars.

Ancalagon Cruise Bat.png

Name: Ancalagon Cruise Missile Battery (or Ancalagon Tail)
Role: Defense
Defense: Full shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 112,000 Energy Capacity
Offense: 10x Hawkeye Cruise Missiles, 8x Zeus Laser Cannons, and 2x Hunter Railguns
Features: Energy Meter, Stabilization Computer, AI module, hoverpad controller, BF sky anchor, Block Controller Switch.

Last edited:

Saelem Black

I built the first generation of this tech shortly after BF was introduced to explore the new rimless wheels and BF's overall speed. As new parts became available, I kept upgrading it little by little until it entered service in my campaign. It's my fastest ground tech, and an blast to pilot. It can do a pretty good job of hit and run attacks, taking on much much heavier techs. It makes an excellent scout as well. With the new paint job, it I could have called it the Brotherhood of Nod attack bike. It's a versatile little combat tech.

Demon Bike.png

Name: Demon Bike
Role: Scout and Fast Attack
Cruising Speed: 106 mph
Maneuverability: Handles quite well as a bike, very stable. You'll never scrape on the ground during a turn.
Defense: Full shields, full repair bubbles, 7500 Energy Capacity
Offense: 2x Cruise Missles, 2x BF Assault Lasers
Features: Block Controller Switch for repair bubble, radar, speedometer
Control Schemes: Car (default)