Saelem's Xenoforge [1.0.2 era]

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I had a previous tech thread which I realized after messing with the latest blocks is quite out of date. New components and mechanics make many of my older techs completely obsolete, or in heavy need of an update. rather than wholesale reworking my entire catalog to update, I figured I'd just make a new thread. In this new thread, the images will also be tech snapshots, allowing you to grab them for your game if you so feel like. (It's a common sense thing, but I didn't know it was a possibility when I started my first thread.)

First up is an oldie-but-goodie and consistently one of my favorite techs. For re-presentation is the Crow, updated with Hawkeye landing skids for a purist Hawkeye feel. If you're a new player trying to get the hang of making a flying tech, this is a really good tech to start with. Basically it's a Hawkeye version of the Venture Lift-Off and is good for doing venture missions, scouting terrain, and generally having fun in the air. Works perfectly with the default aeroplane control scheme.

Crow.png

Name: Crow
Role: Rapid deployment scout
Cruising Speed: 92 mph
Take-off distance: Instant
Maneuverability: Extreme
Defense: lol
Offense: none
Features: Radar
Control Schemes: Car [Default], Aeroplane [Default]

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Next is a total rework of a previous tech, the Rhinoceros. I wanted to make a tech which was fully capable of utilizing the new control interface - and didn't rely on the hoverglitch. I never liked that I had to glitch my techs to make them function, and so with the implementation of a thorough control system, I resolved to correct this discrepancy. The Rhinoceros 2 uses a modification of the default helicopter control scheme, and flies as an actual helicopter does. It tilts forward to go forward, rather than having secondary thrusters which provide forward force. Turns out that a proper helicopter control system for a helicopter is dramatically more weight efficient than building in multi-axis thrusters. It handles like a real helicopter and takes some practice, but also allows for real helicopter maneuvering (flipping upside down, strafing left and right, etc) which was forbidden to the old model. I won't say it handles easily, but it handles well. It does what you ask it to.

All things considered, it's smaller, slower, less tanky, less shooty, and lower cargo capacity than the original Rhino. But I put so much work into making it handle properly that I don't really care. It still performs it's function, and perhaps most importantly of all, it looks sooo much sexier than the original. It's shown below with a full cargo load of Ignian crystal so you can see it's functionality. Cargo does not interfere with flight handling.

Rhinoceros 2.png

Name: Rhinoceros 2
Role: Heavy Cargo Helicopter
Cruising Speed: Tilt dependent, but 50-53 mph is easy to cruise at.
Maneuverability: Spectacular - it's a lot of fun.
Defense: Full hawkeye shields and repair bubbles, 45500 Energy Capacity
Offense: none
Cargo: 40x Hawkeye Pack Collectors (160 resource chunks, total)
Features: Radar, Speedometer, Energy Meter, Altimeter, Stabilization Computer
Control Schemes: Helicopter [Custom]

Last edited:

Saelem Black

My long-standing favorite tech (the Chariot) was made obsolete by Better Future. BF introduced much better ways to maneuver in air than stacking Hawkeye propeller fans in every direction and using the hoverglitch. For the better, all things considered, but it drove the otherwise excellent Chariot to extinction. Enter its successor, the Strix. It is a Hawkeye/Better Future hybrid built around anti-gravity. Named for the scientific family name of owls, it behaves like its namesake, and glides silently before unleashing its 8x EXP Big Man Bomb bays. Like all my techs I've put a considerable amount of time into perfecting it's movement. It's only major drawback is that it relies on an anti-gravity pip engine to fly. If you run out of energy, it won't leave the ground. In response, the Strix carries almost 4x the onboard energy as the Chariot did, which naturally improves staying power in a fight.

I have custom configured a control scheme originally used for the Chariot which is my default for airship-like techs. The Strix uses it.

Strix.png

Name: Strix
Role: Assault/Bombardment Airship
Cruising Speed: 60 mph
Maneuverability: Excellent 3-axis movement, hover capable
Defense: Full hawkeye shields, 59500 Energy Capacity
Offense: 8x EXP Big Man Bomb bays
Features: Radar, Speedometer, Energy Meter, Altimeter, Stabilization Computer
Control Schemes: Chariot

Saelem Black

When I was working on the Rhinoceros 2, I was actually doing a build-off to see which would handle the job of aerial hauler better; a Hawkeye helicopter, or a BF airship. In my campaign I usually set up auto miners all over the map, then return periodically to collect the resource pile. The original Rhinoceros was great for this purpose, and I spent a great deal of time with it. I wanted to see if BF would do it better. The requirements were flight capability, good cargo capacity, high top-speed, and ease of pick-up and drop-off. Here is the result, the Whale Shark. (Yes, I know sharks have vertical tails, don't judge me.)

The Whale Shark operates simultaneously as an airship and a hovercraft. It has 2x GeoCorp HC Scotty Collectors mounted on the belly, and hovers at a distance which allows them to be completely full without scraping the ground. This makes picking up and dropping off resource chunks extremely easy as the tech body itself never gets in the way. It's also fast, sporting a significant booster system. This thing was a bear to create. I spent probably 12 hours trying to tune the maneuvering and I'm still not 100% satisfied. The movement systems in this thing are bonkers complicated (it has multiple centers of lift, if anyone cares), but all things considered, it worked out well.

It's lightly armed and armored, but it's fast and can carry a lot of resources. The only thing it doesn't quite have over the old Rhino is staying power in a fight. But that's not its role anyway. If you try it out, comment what you think. I'm curious about people's thoughts on this one.

Fair warning, you will drop resources if you try to boost with a full load. There's no way around this that I know of.

Whale Shark.png
Name: Whale Shark
Role: Heavy Cargo Airship
Cruising Speed: 72 mph unboosted, 111 mph boosted for ~27 seconds
Maneuverability: 3-axis movement, ground hover and flight
Defense: Full BF shields, full hawkeye repair bubbles, 42000 Energy Capacity
Offense: 2x BF Gatling Laser (on the underside)
Features: Radar, Speedometer, Energy Meter, Fuel Meter, Altimeter, Stabilization Computer, AI module, hoverpad controller, boosters
Control Schemes: Chariot

Last edited: