Saelem's Techno-forge

Discussion in 'Techs' started by Saelem Black, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

Seems like TerraTech forums are pretty low-key; there don't seem to be a lot of jerks around. I dig it. This is a nice place. On that note, I made some techs I'm proud of, so I'll follow the trend and post them.

First up is the Crow. It's a tiny scout tech which I created as a hawkeye substitute for the venture lift-off. It has a grand total of 15 blocks. It is extremely maneuverable, relatively quick, and stays in the air effortlessly. I use this in campaign as a fast travel tool - building it on the spot when it's time to return home. It's also great for venture air missions and scouting new biomes. Crow.png
    Name: Crow
    Role: Rapid deployment scout
    Cruising Speed: ~92 mph
    Take-off distance: Virtually none
    Maneuverability: Extreme
    Defense: lol
    Offense: none
    Features: Radar

#1 Saelem Black, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero <custom_title_subtitle_[username]_display>

I see you're going for a similar style of @Aardvark123, @-=ROOSTER=-, and I. Welcome to the "club." Hope you enjoy your stay at TerraTech and the forums!

Have to test that in my campaign. :~)

JimmyBlether and BenBacon like this.
  3. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

Next is the Condor. This was the result of my second iteration of experimenting with hawkeye planes, and I liked it fairly well. The fans let it stay up indefinitely and it makes a nice little bomber/interceptor. I incorporated some armor and shields to let it be deployed for longer missions. The biggest advantage of the Condor is it's impeccable flight stability. It is even more stable than the Crow.
    Condor.png
    Name: Condor
    Role: Air-to-ground interceptor, light bombardment airplane
    Cruising Speed: 90 mph
    Take-off distance: Moderate
    Maneuverability: Good
    Defense: 1 hawkeye bubble shield, 3 hawkeye batteries, Partial Hawkeye plating
    Offense: 4 Cruise missiles
    Features: Radar, Speedometer

#3 Saelem Black, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

Thank you for the warm welcome!

NotExactlyHero likes this.
  5. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

I started this next tech by asking, what would happen if I made the condor way bigger? And here's the answer, the Super Condor. Armed with 6 of the experimental bombs, this bad boy is great for distant missions where you have to take down a static force (bullies missions). Like the Condor, it inherits peerless flight stability, though its size makes it somewhat less maneuverable. The Super Condor adds dramatic defenses to it's capability suite, and can take more than a little flack. Just don't let it land until the mission is finished. The Super Condor is sluggish on the ground, but actually handles quite nicely in the air for its size. I usually hold to a figure-eight pattern when doing bombing runs.
    Super Condor.png
    Name: Super Condor
    Role: Heavy Bombardment Airplane
    Cruising Speed: 82 mph
    Take-off Distance: Painfully long (basically salt flats only)
    Maneuverability: Moderate (better than you might expect based on size)
    Defense: Full hawkeye shields and repair bubbles powered by 13 hawkeye batteries. Nearly compete hawkeye plating on fuselage.
    Offense: 6 experimental bombs
    Features: Radar, Speedometer, Energy Meter, Altimeter

#5 Saelem Black, Sep 8, 2018
  6. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

The first helicopter for presentation is the Chariot. It was my first foray into helicopters and has been repeatedly refined until it handles exactly as I want. Basically it is my heavy assault heli. Hover overhead (from nearly any distance) and let loose. armed with 4(!) monster mortars, it can crack shields and wear down enemy techs from a safe location high overhead. While 4 monster mortars don't provide massive dps all things considered, their projectiles travel far longer distances than any other, allowing you to bombard enemies from high overhead. Position your enemy almost directly below your front end, and let the meteors fall. The weapons demand an expertly balanced chassis, as well as a steady hand, but the Chariot is tuned to allow for hovering. It will drift backwards every so slightly on it's own, but this is intentional. It helps keep enemies in the bombardment zone. The Chariot's flight stability is also it's weakness. To keep upward drift to a minimum, the weight is balanced such that it stays mostly still without directional control applied. This results in a relatively slow vertical climb. However, it can turn on a dime with very little horizontal drift, allowing you to keep enemies in the deadly zone. (It is a hover-glitch heli.)
    Chariot.png
    Name: Chariot
    Role: Assault/Bombardment Helicopter
    Cruising Speed: 77 mph
    Maneuverability: Slow vertical acceleration, low horizontal drift, hover capable
    Defense: Full hawkeye shields and repair bubbles, 6 hawkeye batteries, partial hawkeye plating on underbelly
    Offense: 4 Monster Mortars
    Features: Radar, Speedometer, Energy Meter, Altimeter, Laser Targeting, Precision Maneuvering

#6 Saelem Black, Sep 8, 2018
  7. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

My second helicopter is a cargo tech. This is the Rhinoceros; it is my terratech take on the real world Chinook, both in form and function. While it is armed with a few cruise missiles to defend itself, this tech is meant for deployment to distant auto-miners, to pick up resource chunks and return home. Can hold a whopping 400 chunks and its maneuverability is finely tuned such that I regularly do aerial resource pickups - hovering over an auto-miner pile and grabbing the chunks without ever touching down. (Admittedly, this can require some patience.) Though it is principally a cargo tech, it has defenses in excess of many of my ground techs, even sporting a few geocorp batteries.
    Rhinoceros.png
    Name: Rhinoceros
    Role: Heavy Cargo Helicopter
    Cruising Speed: 79 mph
    Maneuverability: Moderate vertical acceleration, mild horizontal drift, excels at hovering.
    Defense: Full hawkeye shields and repair bubbles, 2 geocorp batteries, 12 hawkeye batteries
    Offense: 3 cruise missiles
    Cargo: 10x GeoCorp Picker Collectors
    Features: Radar, Speedometer, Energy Meter, Altimeter, Precision Maneuvering

#7 Saelem Black, Sep 8, 2018
  8. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

Next up, ground techs. As before, I'll go from small to large. First is the Turret Track. It didn't get a cool animal name because I honestly didn't expect to use it as much as I do. It it a cheap, easy to manufacture, easy to replace mobile turret. It's based on a half-track chassis and has a some guns, some shields, and an AI. Not meant for prolonged engagements. Build it, then switch into it to position it quickly wherever you want, next to remote auto-miners or in a gang around your base. Can easily take down smaller enemy techs, and a perimeter of 2 or 3 can bring down all but the largest and most aggressive techs.
    Turret Track.png
    Name: Turret Track
    Role: Disposable Base Turret
    Max Speed: 54 mph
    Maneuverability: On a dime
    Defense: Full hawkeye shields and repair bubbles, 1 hawkeye battery
    Offense: 6x Railguns
    Features: Rotating Anchor, Combat AI, 2x solar towers for energy regen

9. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

As you might have noticed, I have a thing for hawkeye. Such pretty tactical black and the coolest weapons ever. That said, I was feeling a need for speed and turned to venture for a couple designs to see what I could come up with. The first was just an experiment to see what the fastest creation I could come up with while maintaining a practical function. The result is the Peregrine Scout Bike. It fulfilled it's role as a successful ground scout and a solid tech for venture missions. Plus I always wanted a rocket bike in my lineup. With skilled piloting, it can take down techs many times its weight by antagonizing them with it's missiles while kiting. With a boosted ground speed of 239 mph, this is by far the fasted tech in my lineup and it will never roll or leave the ground (without a ramp). The front wheel is somewhat prone to damage from impacts with changes in elevation.
    Peregrine Scout Bike.png
    Name: Peregrine Scout Bike
    Role: Ground Scout/Venture mission runner
    Max Speed: 129 unboosted, 239 boosted for ~4 seconds.
    Maneuverability: Very good (3 gyros make this thing very stable, even while boosting).
    Defense: none, uses it's speed to kite foes
    Offense: 1x Venture Cluster Missile Launcher
    Features: Speedometer, Boost

10. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

Awww, he's so cute! This is the Hermit Crab. A defenseless little creature who's role is to run around my base collecting and processing resources from autominers. Load up its high capacity resource collector and you'll see why I named it the hermit crab. I found it useful and fun to run around in, though its 4 hurricane tracks make it a little unnecessarily torque-y.

Hermit Crab.png
    Name: Hermit Crab
    Role: Intra-base resource processor
    Max Speed: Unavailable (don't ask)
    Maneuverability: Good
    Defense: none
    Offense: It's named the hermit crab for chrissake
    Cargo: 1x GeoCorp Scotty HC Collector
    Features: 2 mobile refineries and 2 mobile delivery cannons

#10 Saelem Black, Sep 8, 2018
  11. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

My next entry has its roots all the way back to my very first tech. The pedigree of my main tech, designed and redesigned over time, always advancing and iterating, it now is my main base workhorse/maid. This is the Hunchback, a name which it earned after being converted from a GeoCorp shell to a Hawkeye one, along with substantial weapon upgrades. The Hunckback uses its 4 hawkeye magnets to sweep up blocks from destroyed enemies, and it has significant resource capacity to pick up stray pieces, make an emergency run to a nearby autominer, or go prowl for luxite. It is a multi-mission tech with substantial offense and defense. While idle, it can be deployed into a heavy turret with self-recharge and a combat AI.

Hunchback.png
    Name: Hunchback
    Role: Multimission badass/butler/nanny
    Max Speed: 56 mph
    Maneuverability: Moderate; can turn on axis while still, but struggles to turn while at speed.
    Defense: Full hawkeye shields and repair bubbles, 8 GeoCorp batteries, 6 Hawkeye batteries, extensive hawkeye plating
    Offense: 4x Mk3 Battleship Cannons, 2x HG1 Cannon Turrets, 2x Zues Laser Cannons, 2x Monster Mortars, 3x Diamond Drills
    Cargo: 2x GeoCorp Scotty HC Collectors, 4x Hawkeye Block Magnets
    Features: Speedometer, Energy Meter, Rotating Anchor, Radar, Excellent multi-directional engagement, Optimization for harvesting, Combat AI, 4x solar towers for energy regen

#11 Saelem Black, Sep 8, 2018
  12. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

Back to Venture for the start of my big techs. This is the Mountain King. I wanted a heavy tank with a chassis optimized for taking the most obnoxious of inclines. And since it's Venture, I thought I'd see what kind of speed I could get out of it, to boot. It hits like a truck and can take a pounding with its huge energy reserve. The forward buzz saws are to make sure trees aren't an obstacle. At the end of the day, this is just a tank. No fancy business, no fancy recharge shenanigans or deployment. Just a big fat tank with a nice drive-train.
    Mountain King.png
    Name: Mountain King
    Role: Harsh Terrain Heavy Tank
    Max Speed: 52 mph unboosted, 104 mph boosted for ~16 seconds
    Maneuverability: Excellent (titan wheels are awesome!)
    Defense: Full hawkeye shields, full GeoCorp repair bubbles, 20(!) GeoCorp batteries
    Offense: 2x Big Bertha Cannons, 2x Gigaton Cannons (because megatons are dumb), 8x Venture Avalanche Missile Launchers, 2x Buzz Saws
    Features: Speedometer, Energy Meter, Fuel Meter, Radar, Boost, Drive-train optimized for mountains/difficult terrain.

#12 Saelem Black, Sep 8, 2018
  13. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

My most brutal tech is up next. The obligatory "H-tank", the Titan is my highest damage dealing tech. This thing has. guns. everywhere. (while retaining some decent style.) The foundation of the tech was actually an experiment with the GSO mobile furnaces. I wanted a heavy combat tech without the need to anchor. Undermounted to the central chassis is a resource receiver which passes chunks to a mobile refinery. The refinery can then pass the refined fuel to twin mobile furnaces for recharge. The whole line is sped up with a pacemaker and will automatically drop any chunk that isn't fuel. The Titan has undergone 3-4 upgrades and optimizations to add damage, optimize the drive train for hills and mountains, and add more firepower, most recently, experimental blue flamethrowers replaced old geocorp buzz saws as the means to clear the trees for the furnace, which they work excellently for. Finally, the Titan carries some serious shields, but just as importantly, it's armored with at least two layers of blocks (usually armor, then hawkeye blocks) just about everywhere. This thing is not intimidated by explosives.
    Titan.png
    Name: Titan
    Role: Heavy Assault Tank
    Max Speed: 41 mph unboosted, 68 mph boosted for ~16 seconds
    Maneuverability: Low - turns steadily, but the turning radius is larger than other techs of this size.
    Defense: Full Hawkeye shields and repair bubbles. 6 GeoCorp Batteries, 10 Hawkeye batteries. Hawkeye plating everywhere
    Offense: 8x Mk3 Battleship Cannons, 4x Seeker Missile Pods, 4x Zeus Laser Cannons, 2x Monster Mortars, 4x HG1 Cannon Turrets, 6x DFA Mortars, 12x Hawkeye Machine Guns, 4x Plasma Flamethrowers.
    Features: Speedometer, Energy Meter, Fuel Meter, Boost, Radar, Drive-train optimized for hilly terrain, Explosive resistance, Excellent multi-directional engagement, dual furnace self-recharge, Optimized for fibron harvesting

14. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

Finally, the biggest tech in my fleet currently. This is the Mastodon. Actually the third complete redesign, the Mastodon is built as an all-in-one, self contained mobile harvester. It features a heavy array of weapons, robust defenses, extreme cargo capacity (up to 720 chunks at once), and the ability to rapidly process any chunk it absorbs with 4 independent internal resource processing lines. The lines are designed to mitigate clogs (a problem with earlier versions) and a portion of the fuel chunks it processes goes to recharging it, as each line has a built in furnace generator. The Mastodon is fully mobile, and has no need to anchor to process or recharge. I spent a great deal of time experimenting with the placement of the harvesting drills. As a result, the Mastodon can harvest effectively without bashing the drills against the ground on slopes and valleys. In my fleet, it is the tech I use when I want to go out wandering and deploy new autominers in distant biomes.
    Mastodon.png
    Name: Mastodon
    Role: Heavy self-contained mobile harvester
    Max Speed: 42 mph unboosted, 70 mph boosted for ~16 seconds
    Maneuverability: Low
    Defense: Full Hawkeye Shields, Full hawkeye/geocorp repair bubbles, 14 GeoCorp Batteries, 10 Hawkeye Batteries, extensive geocorp plating
    Offense: 6x Mk.3 Battleship Cannons, 4x Cruise Missiles, 2x Zeus Laser Cannons, 6x Repearter Rifles, 2x TB Threshers, 4x Cerberus-Head Light Bores.
    Cargo: 4x HC Scotty Collectors, 2x TB Threshers
    Features: Speedometer, Energy Meter, Fuel Meter, Boost, Radar, Drive-train and harvester placement optimized for hilly terrain, Explosive resistance, Quad resource processing lines (each with a refinery and delivery cannon), Quad furnace self-recharge, Combat AI, 4x GeoCorp Remote Chargers

#14 Saelem Black, Sep 8, 2018
  15. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

A couple new techs since the original post. I have to say, I have a thing for aircraft. This is the Eagle, it fills the role of fast attack/interceptor helicopter. The Chariot is clearly more of a siege weapon, so I needed a helicopter platform for direct assault. The Eagle is the result. It's fast, punchy, and bristling with light weaponry. However, it doesn't have a great deal of staying power, so don't let it sit in the megaton spam for long.
    Eagle.png
    Name: Eagle
    Role: Fast Attack Helicopter/Interceptor
    Max Speed: 114 mph
    Maneuverability: Moderately fast vertical take-off, fast spin speed. Hover capable if you bother to slow down.
    Defense: Full Hawkeye Shields, 7 Hawkeye Batteries
    Offense: 6x Venture Avalanche Missile Launchers, 4x Oozee SMGs, and 3x Hail Fire Rifles
    Features: Speedometer, Energy Meter, Altimeter, Radar, Performance acceleration and precision handling.

16. Saelem Black

Saelem Black Member

Next up is the Vulcana. It had been a while since I added a plane to my armory and my Condor and Super Condor are somewhat... simple. They work wonderfully, but they have no finesse. I was working on an AC130 style pylon-turn plane with battleship cannons, but I got frustrated trying to make it viable, so I set it aside and attempted another one of my favorite real world planes; the A-10 Warthog. Here's the result. The Vulcana sockets in between the Condor and Super Condor in size, but is entirely evolved in performance. It has a tight turning radius and hits like a truck. This thing was designed to fill the same role as the real world A-10. That is, a slow, maneuverable, low flying ground attack aircraft. Unlike most of my other aircraft, the Volcana can defend itself while on the ground.

Volcana.png
    Name: Volcana
    Role: Ground attack, tank buster
    Cruising Speed: 86 mph
    Take-off distance: Short
    Maneuverability: Excellent
    Defense: Hawkeye shields and repair bubbles everywhere but the wingtips. 6 Hawkeye batteries Extensive hawkeye plating.
    Offense: 6x Cruise Missiles, 5x Hawkeye Auto cannons
    Features: Radar, Speedometer, altimeter, energy meter, laser targeting, tight turning radius

17. Bob064

Bob064 New Member

Could you try making a weaponised hovercraft? Tanks and planes are in abundance, but I have never seen a working, dangerous hovercraft.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  18. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether SFS SUPREME COMMANDER

I have to say, @Saelem Black, you are good with planes and helicopters! I'm impressed! I would suggest making something for next week's community core?

Also, (totally not advertising) maybe check out kingdoms. Your talents could be useful to us.

I'm the boss of Silver Fleet Systems, but the lemon kingdom is a nice place to be too.