Rooster's Sonic Social Experiment

Discussion in 'Ramblings' started by -=ROOSTER=-, Oct 29, 2018.

1. -=ROOSTER=-

-=ROOSTER=- Bock, bock, B"gAAK!!!

I had an idea recently that I think could be both entertaining, and educational as well as allowing my friends here in the community to get to know each other a little better. All you have to do is answer this one simple question. What's in your playlist right now? I am firm believer that you can learn a lot about someone from the music that they listen to. And the best thing about it is that there is no better way (that I have ever seen anyways) to find out what kind of person someone is without so much as asking a single personal question. Another thing I consider Important about this is that (and as much as it pains me to have to sound like my grandpa, here goes...) the fact is, good music is getting hard to come by. You know this to be true young Jedi. So taking the time to participate in this will benefit us all. Especially since many of you are literally thousands of miles away, and in places that we may never see in our lifetime. Which makes the chances of stumbling across the same bands that you do pretty remote even in this wired world of ours. So please take a minute and you just might open someone up to something great. One important side note here: DO NOT say anything negative about someone else' taste in music, or I WILL come unglued on you.

2. -=ROOSTER=-

Right now here's what's currently in mine. These are just what I'm listening to today. They are by no means my favorites or anything, but just what I felt like hearing today. (By Band/Album respectively) At the Drive In - Relationship of Command , Buckethead - Monsters and Robots , Cypress Hill - Greatest Vol 1 , Deftones - Adrenaline , Die Antwoord - Tension , Helmet - Meantime , Jane's Addiction - Strays , The Mars Volta - Octahedron , Praxis - Profanation , Primus - Frizzle Fry , Prong - Cleansing , Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare.

3. QuackDuck

QuackDuck Duck

Currently, I am listening to a lot of chiptune, but I listen to some other stuff to. Here is a link to my hot mixtape.

#3 QuackDuck, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  4. AstraTheDragon

AstraTheDragon A dapper dragon

Okay here goes mine:
    In addition my name on SoundCloud and BandCamp is just the same as anywhere else so you can check out my liked videos etc. on my profile.

#4 AstraTheDragon, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  5. xXThunderFlameXx

xXThunderFlameXx Aircraft Enthusiast

6. AstraTheDragon

AstraTheDragon A dapper dragon

Ooh, he's friends with my favourite chillhop artist, Birocratic. They've collaborated a few times.

7. -=ROOSTER=-

Awesome! Thanks you guys, this is exactly the kind of responses that I was hoping for. I guarantee that if this continues we will all benefit from it and find new things that we would never have known about otherwise. Just speaking for my own stuff, I have ton of music that I have collected over many years. A large portion of which I did so not necessarily because it was for me, but just that I wanted to save anything rare I ran across that I felt might disappear. My own taste casts a pretty wide net as far as genres go but my favorite stuff is pretty obscure. I can't wait to see what guys come up with. I really would love to hear from everyone here. Just put up a tune or two you enjoyed today. If something different catches your mood tomorrow come back and share it. Don't be shy about it. :)

8. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

well , in MY play list (at present) is rimworld, terratech, Total annihalation, dungeon keeper 2, supreme commander (and its updates/expansions), overlord, transport tycoon, locomotion

9. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

I mostly listen to my ~10k tracks from mp3 collection on shuffle (as much again is archived). By the following artists:

View attachment 2018-10-30 Main music artists.jpg

It's kinda stale; I've not had the energy to curate or add to it much in the last few years. Started it in the late 90s, ripping my CD collection. I was lucky to be in student band through highschool, which brought me straight into the good stuff: Radiohead, Pumpkins, Blur, Zeplin, Flyod, Nivana, etc, etc.

Went to lot of rock/metal club nights in the early naughties, too. I made a Spotify playlist of the tracks I remember from that (but don't listen to most of them nowadays).

I've spent the most energy trying to track down good copyright free music under "attribution only" licence for use on my videos (got a lot of quiet space to fill there). I've mostly gone for lo-fi-ish, electronic, chill-hop, whatever the heck it is, as it has to be instrumental and not too distracting. So I'm quite liking Birocratic, thanks @AstraTheDragon, I'll have to try to listen through some more like that, and see what's useable (in legal terms too).

This reminds me of a little discussion we had about music following a dev stream that used a bunch of free-to -use tracks. (I'm sure there's many more threads about musics in this forum section, that I don't follow.:oops:)

10. -=ROOSTER=-

I don't know about anyone else, but I've learned quite a bit already and have just barely got into a small fraction of what you guys have posted so far. To be honest, one could probably learn more from 10 things that you are actively into now, or that maybe really mean something to you but just haven't listened to lately, rather than 10,000 that you have but do not. Don't get me wrong, I really am finding a gold mine of things I have never heard of in there, but it leaves me wondering which are the important ones in there in your view. @QuackDuck I'm digging the whole "8-Bit" thing. The concept of doing so much with so little in terms of equipment is a brilliant idea. Some of it is really impressive in that context. @AstraTheDragon you have a pretty diverse list there, and from what i've heard so far they for the most part have a similar "feel" to them that I can see why chose them (if that makes any sense). The classical had some of my favorites in there, and I was happy to see some ska in there as well. Back in high school most of my buddies were Rudy's. I really miss the ska scene around here. Check out "Let's go bowling", they are a local band here, and really cool guys. I really like The Untouchables, The Specials, and The Toasters a lot too. @xXThunderFlameXx There's whole genres in there I didn't even know existed. @Sdarks what was the name of that metal band that you were listening to the other day? I was going to look them up, but couldn't remember the name for the life of me. And I realize it would probably bring the list of stuff you guys are trying to do from a million to a million & 1, so i can understand not, but I'm sure everyone would find it interesting to know what kind of music other members of the team are into. - Rooster

11. Sdarks

Sdarks PAYLOAD STUDIOS

Architects and Emarosa are usually who I am listening to. The first aren't very family friendly so I'd suggest younger forum users don't look them up :) @Matt and @Jamie are both fans as well

12. -=ROOSTER=-

Right on. Thank you Sam, I appreciate the response I know you guys are trying to work. I'll go back to bugging the community instead. :)

13. Potato

Potato Tinkerer of Titäns

General Playlist to get things done (work, gym, etc.)

Raubtier - Achtung Panzer
    Raubtier - Panzarmarsch
    Raubtier - Apokalypse
    Raubtier - Bärsärkagång

Sabaton - 7734
    Sabaton - The Last Stand
    Sabaton - Ghost Division
    Sabaton - For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Sabaton - Gott Mit Uns (Both English and Swedish versions)

Judas Priest - Leather Rebel
    Judas Priest - Painkiller
    Judas Priest - Breaking the Law
    Judas Priest - Hellrider
    Judas Priest - Hell bent for Leather
    Judas Priest - The Sentinel

other bands include Motorhead, Megadeth, Rammstein, Saxons, Riot, Mastodon, Manowar, Slayer, Dio, Iron Maiden, Amon Amarth

Whenever I build Lemon Kingdom Techs (Gotta get into the mindset of a futuristic knightly order):

Johann Gottfried Piefke - Prussian Glory
    Johann Gottfried Piefke - Der Königgrätzer Marsch
    Panzerlied
    Westerwald Marsch
    Alte Kameraden
    Funkerlied
    Sabaton - 7734
    Sabaton - The Last Stand
    Sabaton - For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Sabaton - Gott Mit Uns (Both English and Swedish versions)
    Judas Priest - The Sentinel

14. ZeroGravitas

ZeroGravitas Breaker of Games

Some of my more recent playlist additions, that I groove to most: Poliça, Band of Skulls, Wolf Alice, Metric, We Are Scientists. Longer term: Idlewild, Incubus, Finger Eleven, Veruca Salt, Coheed and Cambria, Stabbing Westwood. All time: Radiohead (even though I don't listen to them often, now).

... After Anavae, of course. ;)

#14 ZeroGravitas, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  15. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero <custom_title_subtitle_[username]_display>

Now all you people can understand why I'm so freaking CRAZY!!! Roll the tape! -
    Bad Blood
    Immortals
    Centuries
    My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark
    Jukebox Hero
    Thriller
    Some Nights
    Africa(The ORIGINAL!!!)
    Radioactive
    Thunder
    Thunderstruck
    Believer
    Seven Years
    100 Years
    Three Hits
    Take It Back(Think it's by Marshmello?)
    Boulevard of Broken Dreams(Depressing title or what?)
    High Hopes
    Bad Day
    Get Down On It
    I Lived
    Walking On The Moon
    Little Talks
    See You Again
    Hey World
    Counting Stars
    One Foot
    Wake Me Up
    Dirty Deeds
    Modageddon
    Pompeii
    Can't Hold Us
    Secrets
    Geronimo
    Hold Back The River
    Burn the House Down
    Clocks
    Viva
    la Vida
    Paradise

Yes, some items on that [long, long] list are in the pictures. Deal with it...

It must be noted that I tend to skip some of these songs, due to repetitiveness.

Attached Files:

#15 NotExactlyHero, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    -=ROOSTER=- likes this.
  16. NotExactlyHero

NotExactlyHero <custom_title_subtitle_[username]_display>

More pictures!!

Attached Files:

17. -=ROOSTER=-

@Potato great list man, other than the Priest stuff the rest is all new to me (and all rockin' stuff) i'm digging that Swedish Metal. @NotExactlyHero its hard to know what's what (in the big written list) without naming the artist, but I appreciate the effort though.

NotExactlyHero likes this.
  18. rdoom2003

rdoom2003 乚乇卂刀乇尺 口下 卄乇乚工口丂

Justice- Let there be Light
    Justice- DVNO
    Carpenter brut - Le perv
    Carpenter brut - Escape from the midwich valley
    SIAMES - Mr.Fear
    SIAMES - The Wolf
    Getter - purgatory
    System of a down -Chop suey
    S e p t e m b e r
    Daft Punk - Derezzed
    Daft Punk
    -aerodynamic
    M83- Midnight City
    Tame impala - Let it happen <--- Personal favorite.
    Jack sauber- Fighter
    Jack Stauber - Cheeseburger family
    Jack Stuaber - Inchman
    Great Big sea - Chemical workers song
    Jerobeam fenderson - Blocks
    C.Allen - Downforce
    AUTOMATICA
    The Art of noise - Paranoimia
    ENERGY SYNERGY MATRIX
    Die antwoord - Fatty boom boom
    Primus - The devil went to georgia
    Johnny cash - God's gonna cut you down
    Pendulum- Propane nightmares.
    Hyper- Cascade
    Hyper - Spoiler
    Crackazat - Coffee time
    Infectedmushroom - Saaed
    Infectedmushroom - Liquid smoke
    Infected mushroom - Nutmeg
    Realitect- Painting the future

Here's my list!

#18 rdoom2003, Nov 8, 2018 at 5:23 AM
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 5:29 AM
    -=ROOSTER=- and QuackDuck like this.
  19. -=ROOSTER=-

@rdoom2003 Props for having some Art of Noise in there, I had Beat Box Diversion One playing as I read this. I'm a big Primus fan as well. I've seen them several times. In fact, I have friends that I met the first time I went, and now every time a Primus show comes around and we meet up and hang out. Been going on for 20+ years now. System of a down, Die Antwoord, and Johnny Cash I like also. Lots of unexplored territory in there for me to check out too. Thanks for posting.

rdoom2003 likes this.