Reticule Research feedback (1.3.7.1)

higekun

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hi everyone! I don't post here too often these days, but some of the old hands may remember me - I'm Russ, the founder and CEO of Payload Studios.

There's obviously been a lot of feedback and questions recently about the R&D updates, DLC strategy and the future of the game in general, so I wanted to step in and provide some context to these decisions.

Firstly I want to thank you for all the feedback, questions and suggestions. We value this highly and I can assure you that we read every comment and take it all seriously. We don't always do everything we're asked for, but as you know we do update our plans in response to what you tell us.

The RR/EXP rebrand was first and foremost about adding value to the R&D mode, which has been somewhat neglected recently. As you have correctly guessed, we will be making this available on consoles, as part of our drive to bring the game towards parity across all platforms. At the same time, we are scaling back the idea of R&D as an unstable content testing environment - which doesn't make much sense any more. We already have the unstable branch for that - at this stage in the lifecycle we think R&D should justify itself based on the value in the package (on all platforms), which is why we've given it a complete overhaul and added a load of content.

There was always a risk of this being taken as announcing RR as a playable corp. We tried to defuse that in how we presented it, but with hindsight that was a bit unrealistic and we didn't do the best job of it. My apologies to anyone who feels they've been sold a dummy over this.

We're not going to 100% rule out (or in) RR as a full Campaign corp, for now. We've heard your feedback, we're discussing it internally, and we'll come back to you soon with an update on that point. If we did do this, it would not be as a paid DLC - we have no plans to release corporations that way.

However, we will continue to add paid DLC content to the game, going forward. It should not be a great shock for a five-year-old game (which we effectively develop as an on-going service) to offer additional paid content for long-time players. There is nothing cynical about this - we have running costs and it's clearly unsustainable to provide endless content for players to spend hundreds or thousands of hours enjoying, without some way for us to bring in new revenue.
We thank you for your understanding on this point! :)

We are sincerely grateful for your support and companionship on the long journey of TerraTech so far! There is some really exciting stuff coming, so please look out for new roadmap updates soon, for this year and beyond.

-Russ

Enderjed

Killing off project they were working on.
I don't Mind RR being locked behind DLC, from a lore standpoint, it actualy makes sense,
My only wish is that the R&D/RR DLC should atleast add to the campaign, Beacause then it would be more use, and would be quite nice seeing what representative that RR Would send.

Green4Gaming

Mindless Dominion Leader
Here's a summary of my opinions:
What I like:
-look of blocks
-proper implementation of EXP blocks
What I dislike:
-All of Reticule Research being limited to R&D owners
What I wish for:
-More normal blocks for R&D (cabs, wheels, blocks, shields etc.) which are also available for everyone

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
I will buy every DLC you publish just as mean of support, after 1800+ hours of good play you give to me you really deserve it.
Me, too.

That aside, my ultimate problem is that Reticule Research has been blocked off (pun intended) from TerraTech's core gameplay loop. This is my biggest issue.

To outline, TerraTech is about design. But a design is meaningless unless it is in service to a function. In TerraTech, the "function" to be performed is manufacturing/harvesting/missions, which are found in campaign. You make a tank to fight combat missions; you make a scout to look for resources, trading hubs, and base locations; you build a factory to manufacture, etc. Without RR being implemented in campaign like the others, it cannot participate in TerraTech's core principle.

Aardvark123

Website
aardvark1998.deviantart.com
I have to say, the idea of Reticule Research being restricted to people who own a DLC feels less than ideal. Reticule Research has been presented as an upcoming corporation, not an expansion pack, for years. Even if you've decided they aren't technically a corporation, Reticule Research are still an organisation with their own set of themed blocks, and if it looks like a corporation, quacks like a corporation and is behind a paywall, it feels like a paywalled corporation.

It would be fairer if their native blocks (the balloon wheels, the variety of armoured and fared hull pieces and whatever else they get in future that isn't in devlopment for another company) were available to all players, as I assume was originally the plan for Reticule Research. Having the EXP blocks be rebranded as their research projects and restricted to the R&D Labs until they're ready is fine, since that's what people bought the R&D DLC for and no-one would feel cheated.

Wassaup

which we effectively develop as an on-going service
...Excuse me? Did you just call TerraTech a live service? ...I was initially only half serious about comparing you guys to EA, but... damn.

I could write a 5000 word essay about why that's a load of horse crap, but I have a video for you instead. It's quite informative:

Epic afdc

Okay so. This is My idea of how RR should be incorporated into the game. The R&D thing should be kept, frankly I like how the new R&D stuff looks. But I think that the EXP stuff should remain separate from the base Reticule Research Corp. instead you could have the EXP stuff be the part of RR that makes stuff for the other corps that can only be accessed by “premium members” (people who bought the R&D pack). This keeps the cool RR aesthetic of the new EXP stuff and keeps the Reticule Research Corp for the core game

Mindl3ss

Mindless Dominion Fleet Admiral
So, as i figured, the big question goes unanswered. so again, i'll ask directly to the developer who stepped foreward to clerify.

@higekun Does this re-brand represent the release of a corporation, or is there a new corporation coming to us soon? we are all worried that this re-brand represents a switch from a yearly creation of a new corporation to the removal of a potential corporation. i understand that you are not 100% decided on the future of Reticule, but we all want to know: does this REPLACE us getting a new corporation? Please answer this time and not just ignore the question for the third time.

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
In all honesty, we shouldn't be complaining at all. The kickstarter goal for creative mode, multiplayer, and RR were never reached. Their goals were £45K, £60k, and £80k respectively while the amount actually reached was £39k. We should be grateful that they even included these features at all.

Edit: If you're gonna refer to the roadmap as a promise of RR as an actual corp; the roadmap said More Corporation(s) and this was before better future came out.
1579819028773.png

Last edited:

RC-3197

We're not going to 100% rule out (or in) RR as a full Campaign corp, for now. We've heard your feedback, we're discussing it internally, and we'll come back to you soon with an update on that point. If we did do this, it would not be as a paid DLC - we have no plans to release corporations that way.
I'm pretty sure everyone here wants to have Reticule Research as a full-fledged campaign corporation, and I hope you go into your meeting knowing that. Reticule Research is an irreplaceable faction, no other corporation will ever be able to fit its niche of wacky weapons and bizarre technology.

Take the tesla coil for example:
1579822273892.png

The tesla coil wouldn't fit in any of the existing factions in this game, so if it was theoretically added would it be doomed to spend the rest of it's life in the R&D test chamber?

There's no shortage of ideas for this faction either, I know that because two ideas I came up with are for Reticule Research! I'm sure if you browse around the suggestions section of the forum and you'll find an unlimited supply of ideas for this corporation!

You can do whatever you want with R&D though, I personally don't care what you rename/remodel the R&D test chamber to. A few other users have suggested that you make the experimental stuff a sub-branch of Reticule Research while having Reticule Research as a full campaign corporation. That way you can have your name change, reskins, and revamp of R&D to appeal to console players while the players can have a proper Reticule Research corporation in the base game. It's a win win situation for everyone! I really hope you decide to go this direction as it would be the option that would make the most people happy.

Mr_Loop

I love everything so far especially the RR giga plasma beam maybe you could make a long range one that takes up as much space as the AA gun it'd be really great to use for a glassing beam on one of my techs that was inspired from halo

UNITGX48

Theta VII C - Ice ball, average of 20 degrees.
At the same time, we are scaling back the idea of R&D as an unstable content testing environment - which doesn't make much sense any more. We already have the unstable branch for that
Respectable. Personally in this case I would add an EXP tab if the game is being run in the unstable branch that all in testing parts are under. This also now opens up testing to everyone who has just purchased the base game. And keep the style exp parts had previously, they had the simple "this will change eventually" look.

Except this defeats the idea that RR develops the parts that are then passed on to the other corps...

Solution. Rebrand the grayscale colors of EXP with RR colors without changing anything about how you have previously made EXP blocks look.

Basically.

EXPResourceRadar2.png

We're not going to 100% rule out (or in) RR as a full Campaign corp, for now.
Good. As long as it Eventually makes it as its own corp im fine. Otherwise with R&D being scaled back on unstable content it will be seen as a paywalled corporation instead of a tester addon. Which really doesn't look that great from the outside looking in.

However, we will continue to add paid DLC content to the game, going forward.
DLC is an overused phrase for microtransactions. DLC used to mean a large downloadable package of stuff comparable in size to the base game. IE R&D is a perfect example...

I am not opposed to adding a few microtransactions... As long as it is strictly limited to skins, are never posted for more than 5$, and they are never split into crap like single block skins. I never want to see like a hundred different single skins for 1$ each... At the same time I also never want to see every single new skin pack to come out to be paywalled.

It should not be a great shock for a five-year-old game (which we effectively develop as an on-going service) to offer additional paid content for long-time players.
You are not a service. You are a game developer making a game that a community enjoys. That community only pays for paid content to support you as long as you are going strong and making decisions that most everyone can agree on.

offer additional paid content for long-time players. There is nothing cynical about this - we have running costs and it's clearly unsustainable to provide endless content for players to spend hundreds or thousands of hours enjoying,
I personally will continue to support you as long as you listen to your community.

General Douglas

Aerial Admiral
Firstly I want to thank you for all the feedback, questions and suggestions. We value this highly and I can assure you that we read every comment and take it all seriously. We don't always do everything we're asked for, but as you know we do update our plans in response to what you tell us.
I'll say, the close relationship the devs have here with the players is unlike that of any other game I've played, and I am glad to see it in action as well as be a part of the process with all of my fellow players. Keep being awesome you guys

Bedacoalmaster

I draw TT models for fun
I told myself that I would wait for the whole excitement (or disappointment idk) over RR to mostly blow over before I would get into it but screw it i’m doing it anyway. I don’t mind where RR sits right now. Im absolutely fine with a non-corporation/corporation as a DLC as long as this won’t be a trend with new corporations added in the future. One thing that needs to be addressed in my opinion is the campaign implication of RR, like how we will be able to access the blocks in our campaign saves. One option that I can suggest is that if you guys want to keep RR as a non-playable corporation (ie. no license and missions) you could have a specific device or trading station or something to buy RR blocks from wherever RR is stationed to be delivered to you for your experimentation pleasures. This could build on the whole “we make all sorts of stuff and sell it to people for a profit” idea and make RR accessible in the campaign mode while keeping it a non-playable corporation. There can be limits to how you can buy blocks off of them, like a purchasing level (the more block bucks you spend the more stuff you can buy) or simply high prices for the powerful stuff. If you plan it to be a playable corporation in the future that could be a little more tricky, but I already see many suggestions on how to do that so I wont repeat those people. Anyways thank you for coming to my stupid rant, have a cookie because you read all of that.