Resource Farmer

minimic2002

Sep 13, 2020
1603034027896.png

It is a stationary image but many of you may know that AIs will spin around most of the time when they are on a rotating anchor.
That's exactly what I've used here to make a rotating conveyor to pick up resources from a large area with minimal cost. The entire build only costs around 50k which isn't much in comparison to what it collects.

At current I have used this machine here to farm about 4000 Eurudian in under 3 hours.
Its just a test at the moment which is why I think it could go much further than it currently is.

This gave me some new ideas which is where I can make a bit of a build challenge for you guys:

Using a rotating anchor we can make a very long stick, we can stick whatever we want on this... For example a bunch of drills, conveyors and receivers.
So the idea is to spin around and break all the trees. Trees may not be worth as much, but they respawn, so the question is just how big of a stick would we need to create to make quantity beat the quality.

I have not yet made any test or demo versions of this yet so it should be a interesting new concept that has been overlooked.

If you make one feel free to share a SC / Capture of it so we can all get some new ideas to see if this could become the new meta to getting resources and money.

Attachments

minimic2002

Sep 13, 2020
Since this post ive gained a further 1000 Erudite so its about 1000 Erudite Every half hour or so. The machine itself does not clog up and can do a lot more than this.

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
Lol! Great idea there. I think one could also be made without an ai, but just a linear motion engine and make them spin around at a very low speed?
Edit : Made one for fun lol Maybe the line needs to be higher off the ground. Forward throttle makes it spin forever at a desired speed

Attachments

Last edited:

minimic2002

Sep 13, 2020
Lol! Great idea there. I think one could also be made without an AI, but just a linear motion engine and make them spin around at a very low speed?
Edit : Made one for fun lol Maybe the line needs to be higher off the ground. Forward throttle makes it spin forever at a desired speed
Looks good. That armour fits it well.

In terms of making it rotate it doesn't really matter if its got an AI or not. Although one bonus of having it with an AI is that it doubles up as a turret tower to protect the mines.

I've checked the Resource respawn rate and it turns out that making a giant spinning harvester for mass tree harvesting wouldn't be worth doing. It would be better to make a mobile compacting tech for this. :( Might make some techs ready for the upcoming AI revamp for harvesting.

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
:( Might make some techs ready for the upcoming AI revamp for harvesting.
Yeahh back when I still played the campaign, I just ended up using a few resource auto compactors here and there. I think the charm of terratech that really got me hooked came from the early dev stages where we still could have ai harvesters running around. But now I'm starting to realize that we have a limited play area where ai can stay active, and with the ai being at a similar level for years, things have taken far too many turns away from what I had seen back then. Kind of a similar thing to what I've gone through with Starbound.

Last edited:

minimic2002

Sep 13, 2020
If I'm honest making a AI with the current set up would be pointless unless its a turret tower.

within 1 area all the good resources will have my miners on so the only thing they could mine would be rocks, yellow crystal things and trees.
And then its limited by respawn times as well because it cant actually go far from the player.

I can basically make whatever I want with the cash I've got at the moment so I'm running out of things to do. I do like the game but its kind of hard to want to play it when I can already do whatever I want.