Release TerraTech on the Epic Games store

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Please don't murder me Steam fanboys

The Epic games store is a good deal for indie games. The developer/storefront sales split is supposed to be 88/12 for Epic, versus steam's much harsher 70/30. (Yes, if you didn't know, Steam is taking 30% of Payload's PC sales revenue.)

Also, there aren't a huge number of games yet on Epic's store, so TerraTech could possibly get a lot better visibility.

I just read an article about how Borderlands 3 (which is an Epic exclusive on PC) already twice the concurrent peak PC playercount than borderlands 2 ever had in it's entire lifetime. Meaning that despite a segment of rage-y, whiny Steam fanatical loyalists calling for boycotts and insisting it's a conspiracy (yes, that's really happening *facepalm*), BL3 is selling very well on the Epic storefront. TerraTech might be able to do well there, too.

Last edited:

ZeroGravitas

Breaker of Games
Website
www.youtube.com
he developer/storefront sales split is supposed to be 88/12 for Epic, versus steam's much harsher 70/30.
Interesting info. Sounds worth considering (although I guess I am a Steam fanboy, by default).

On the practical side, I think TT is somewhat wed to Steam, on PC, in terms of the workshop integration and the back-end of the multiplayer lobby code. I don't know if there's any legal ties beyond that, of course.

Last edited:

-=ROOSTER=-

Complete Idiot
The more I think about it , I think @Saelem Black might have a point. I go there quite a bit (at least once a week to see the 2 free games of the week) and to my knowledge there is nothing there that remotely resembles TT. I think it would pick up a lot of new players there. They get huge amounts of traffic just from Fortnite players alone and for some reason their selection of games seems really small. The obvious downside would be no workshop though. I also agree with @stickman_king_28 that TT is way to good of game to be on the freebie list. Unless of course, they pay enough to make it worth your while do it. They must because I've gotten a few AAA games for free there that are still selling on steam for full price.

Last edited:

higekun

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hey folks - yes, the Epic store and its generous terms have not escaped our notice! I remember when Steam's terms were considered generous :) Times move on.

We have no plans to put this version of TerraTech on the Epic store, or to move off Steam. It's a little late in the game's lifecycle for that kind of change to make a huge difference, and also Epic are curating their store quite carefully at this (still early) stage, with a focus on new titles and/or big IP. Also @ZeroGravitas is quite right about our Workshop and lobby integration.

We would certainly look carefully at the Epic store for future titles. One thing we would try to avoid doing is to commit to a release on one platform and then cancel that and go exclusive on a different one :p Because, you know, people don't like that.

Captain Load

Epic is mostly Chinese-owned and collects private user data for God-knows-what purpose. I might get a freebie from them using fake info but I'd never buy from them and supply my legit personal data.