RC-3197's Reticule Research Block Idea Megathread

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
Thanks, but I will still take The Navy's Engineers opinion on Railguns having recoil over yours.

If you had bothered to read the linked articles (which include footage your video was taken from by the way) That were linked, you might understand why I think you sound like an idiot.

Last edited:

Warning220

Defence enthusiast, Battle ship expert
Thanks, but I will still take The Navy's Engineers opinion on Railguns having recoil over yours.

If you had bothered to read the linked articles (which include footage your video was taken from by the way) That were linked, you might understand why I think you sound like an idiot.
their are no articles linked in that video so kinda hard to read what isnt there and never the less i have read dozens of articles about railguns. And each and every one of them had one something incommon that a railgun dosent have traditional recoil. As there is no gas to push back nor an explosion. The recoil thats is exerted on a railgun is different in that it first of all pushes the rails them self apart a little and then back but the recoil of a railgun is tiny compared to traditional artillery.

Luracasmus

Website
luracasmus.wixsite.com
The rails and projectiles must be built from strong conductive materials; the rails need to survive the violence of an accelerating projectile, and heating due to the large currents and friction involved. Some erroneous work has suggested that the recoil force in railguns can be redirected or eliminated; careful theoretical and experimental analysis reveals that the recoil force acts on the breech closure just as in a chemical firearm.[41][42][43][44] The rails also repel themselves via a sideways force caused by the rails being pushed by the magnetic field, just as the projectile is. The rails need to survive this without bending and must be very securely mounted. Currently published material suggests that major advances in material science must be made before rails can be developed that allow railguns to fire more than a few full-power shots before replacement of the rails is required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun#Materials_used

Warning220

The rails and projectiles must be built from strong conductive materials; the rails need to survive the violence of an accelerating projectile, and heating due to the large currents and friction involved. Some erroneous work has suggested that the recoil force in railguns can be redirected or eliminated; careful theoretical and experimental analysis reveals that the recoil force acts on the breech closure just as in a chemical firearm.[41][42][43][44] The rails also repel themselves via a sideways force caused by the rails being pushed by the magnetic field, just as the projectile is. The rails need to survive this without bending and must be very securely mounted. Currently published material suggests that major advances in material science must be made before rails can be developed that allow railguns to fire more than a few full-power shots before replacement of the rails is required.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun#Materials_used
pretty much what i said with some extra stuff.

Seth_Seth

Website
forum.terratechgame.com
It just seems to depend, if its yeeting a physical object then sure it can recoil, if its yeeting like a laser beam at 500mph or something then maybe you can not have recoil

I'm saying this while having no clue about this conversation-

Kevin Vanderhoef

Basically if a weapon can do X amount of damage at range y, then it will produce the same amount of recoil for a weapon that does x damage at range y.

Lasers, Particle beams, and energy propelled weapons have built in systems that provide recoil reduction do to mass from associated cooling and power delivery equipment. Recoil from rockets is applied directly to the projectile. Weapons that use explosives propellents to move are usually set up to move into some sort of shock absorption system.

So far the only weapon system that doesn't produce some sort of physical recoil are those used by the fourth and fifth estates (Journalists, and Diplomats).

The main advantage of a rail gun is that you don't carry any propellant for the projectile so For magazines of the same mass storage and projectie size, the rail gun will have more ammo to throw at a target.

Warning220

Basically if a weapon can do X amount of damage at range y, then it will produce the same amount of recoil for a weapon that does x damage at range y.

Lasers, Particle beams, and energy propelled weapons have built in systems that provide recoil reduction do to mass from associated cooling and power delivery equipment. Recoil from rockets is applied directly to the projectile. Weapons that use explosives propellents to move are usually set up to move into some sort of shock absorption system.

So far the only weapon system that doesn't produce some sort of physical recoil are those used by the fourth and fifth estates (Journalists, and Diplomats).

The main advantage of a rail gun is that you don't carry any propellant for the projectile so For magazines of the same mass storage and projectie size, the rail gun will have more ammo to throw at a target.
your first sentence is wrong recoil only depends on the projectiles mass, speed and the propellant its self.

YaYYeeT

Derp Artist
one of the 17 quintillon NMS planets and moons.
He probably meant kinectic energy.
Say, a tank fires an AP shell weighting 10kg at 500m/s, and then it fires an HE shell that also weighs 10kg at the same velocity. Provided that they have the same aerodynamics(or just do this in space) the recoil should be the same.(Gives me a idea: recoil powered spacecraft)

Last edited:

Kevin Vanderhoef

He probably meant kinectic energy.
Say, a tank fires an AP shell weighting 10kg at 500m/s, and then it fires an HE shell that also weighs 10kg at the same velocity. Provided that they have the same aerodynamics(or just do this in space) the recoil should be the same.(Gives me a idea: recoil powered spacecraft)
Which is what rocket sciense is all about.
You are projecting x(1) amount of mass at a relative Y1 meters per second out from one end of the ship, which in turn accelerates the ship y2 meters per second based on the current mass of the ship. x1*y1= x2*y2.
YOu could use oxidize combustibles, Cannon balls, BB's or Pianos if you wish.

YaYYeeT

Derp Artist
one of the 17 quintillon NMS planets and moons.
Which is what rocket sciense is all about.
You are projecting x(1) amount of mass at a relative Y1 meters per second out from one end of the ship, which in turn accelerates the ship y2 meters per second based on the current mass of the ship. x1*y1= x2*y2.
YOu could use oxidize combustibles, Cannon balls, BB's or Pianos if you wish.
Blenders full of Kiwis in them with an external power source attached.:p

I think all of RC-3197's ideas should be added to the game. I want the block vacuum especially because it's my idea and it would make me very happy that my idea gets used.

Last edited:

Geocorp Jumper

Is the fission thing just the BF Plasma furnace?
Lol just had a serious returning player moment! It's been a couple years and to be honest I've hardly done anything with BF since returning. Yes it's exactly that and I had no idea.

And about the railgun debate I honestly know very little about them aside from the basic "electromagnets instead of gunpowder, very powerful" kind of info, but this game, like most others, defies many scientific laws. If it didn't it probably wouldn't be as fun. If we aren't losing it over laser beams and naval cannons on cars, we have little reason to debate about how railguns are supposed to work.

Last edited:

Skihiley

Worship the Memes
Back to the rail gun convo, rail guns in real life fire by utilizing two metal rails with electric currents. When the projectile fires, those metal rails are melted (militaries are still trying to figure that one out, and still have projectile drop. I think a cool idea for a real life ish railgun would be to have the projectile to have a little bit of bullet drop, and maybe damage itself a little whenever it fires.

Kevin Vanderhoef

The melting is due primarily to the ridiculous amount of high voltage, and heavy wattage Electricity trying to arc weld the projectile to the rails. the molten metal acting as a lubricant to the accelerating "slug".

harpo99999

Ah kick till it starts
there IS a detectable droop in the projectile track with railguns, BUT it is significantly less than explosive based weapons due to the far higher muzzle velocity of the projectile which also appears in the max range of the weapon (IRL)

... railguns don't have recoil, Gauss weapons do but railguns don't that said that gives an idea.

Material "railgun"
info: we took a delivery cannon, turned it on its side and made and launched it at better future air receivers. We found a 900% increase in speed over using long conveyor paths, and a 100% increased chance to put a hole in a tech that got between the two points.