RC-3197's Reticule Research Block Idea Megathread

RC-3197

On the latest terratech live stream (Titled "Reticule Research NEWS! w/ Matt & Kris || TerraTech Dev") Chris stated the following about Reticule Research:
I want to hear your ideas, throw em at us.
Matt also stated in that same video:
Rather than just taking blocks and effectively reskinning them for a different corp, we want to try out new mechanisms, new mechanics

Hearing that I immediately responded with 3 (technically 4) ideas:
- Teleportation Conveyor Belts
1582677595666.png
- Overcharging Tesla Gun
- EMP Weapons
- Teleportation Anchor
Also you briefly talked about having teleportation in campaign (like the R&D test chamber). I think that is a great idea! It was one of the first things I thought of when the R&D test chamber first got teleportation. I imagine it would be an anchorable block like the SCU, you can place it down and right click on it to bring up a list of all the other anchored teleportation points on your map, you could even set the name in the list to be the name of the tech that it's attached to (or not attached to if it's just anchored by itself)!

I also said in that comment that there was more to come, now is that time.

Between now and the time I responded to that post, I've searched through almost every game I have with the intention of finding things that would make great additions to Reticule Research.

I would say my quest to find ideas for Reticule Research was quite successful. Under normal circumstances I would post the ideas one at a time but there's just too many of them, if I posted them all individually it would spam the forum and nobody likes that.

Because of that I've decided to create this post, a megathread for all the Reticule Research Ideas I could come up with, many of which have videos which will make the concept much easier to understand

Please don't comment until you see "Number 12:", because I'd like to keep my post together without it being broken apart by comments. It shouldn't take long because I have all of my posts most saved before hand for copy pasting quickly, I just have to format them. After that you can comment all you want, I'd actually love to see all your feedback or even hear a suggestion of your own.

Without any further delay, strap in your seat belts because you're in for a wild ride, starting with idea number 1:

Last edited:

RC-3197

1. Supernova - Fission Cannon:
Inspiration Video:

Description:
The Supernova Fission Cannon is a weapon unlike any other. It charges up for about a second and fires a ball of condensed energy at its target. When this ball of energy hits the target it rapidly expands in the shape of a sphere. This expanding sphere does massive damage to anything it comes in contact with, friend or foe (watch the video above for a visualization). That makes this weapon just as dangerous to you as it is your enemy. Because it damages you as well you want to be far away from your enemy when you fire. Close range engagements will lead to lots of damage to both sides. Because this weapon is so powerful it takes a decent amount of time to reload (see the video above), but not to long as the real downside is that you can harm yourself with this weapon. While researching this weapon I realized how similar this was to the idea the developers had for a shield that expands and does damage to both friendly and enemy blocks. The main difference here is that it's firing this shield instead of attaching it to your tech, which I think is even better. Overall, the Supernova Fission cannon is a weapon that perfectly captures the spirit of Reticule Research. It's scary looking, it's extremely unique, it's futuristic in the mad science kind of way, and it's something that can hurt you just as much as it can hurt your enemy. I think that if this weapon was put in TerraTech it would become one of the most memorable weapons in the game, it's just that good!

Last edited:

RC-3197

2. Frostbite - Cryobeam:
Inspiration Video:

Description:
The Frostbite Cryobeam is a unique weapon, unlike many of the existing weapons this cannot destroy a tech by itself, in fact it is rather harmless on its own.

So what exactly does it do? Well it's quite simple. This beam of super-chilled energy freezes blocks instead of destroying them.

What are the benefits of freezing blocks? For starters a frozen block is not usable at all, all frozen weapons, hover pads, flight blocks, manufacturing blocks, wheels, and others can't function at all. No firing, no moving chunks, and no moving the tech either. Frozen blocks are also extremely brittle making them easy to destroy with even the weakest of weapons, but when they are destroyed they shatter almost 100% of the time. This is a downside if you are someone like me who likes to collect as many blocks intact as possible.

Another downside is that it takes concentrated and consistent firing to keep a block frozen. During this process the effected blocks become slower until they are encased in ice, the same applies to thawing blocks except instead of slowing down they speed up until they reach their original speed. The thawing process occurs when a block is no longer being hit by the cryobeam. The more health a block has the longer it takes to freeze. Multiple cryobeams can be used to freeze blocks quicker, if you have 3 cryobeams it will freeze blocks 3 times faster if they concentrate fire.

Because of how TerraTech works it would be unreasonable to necessitate beams firing at every single block to freeze the entire enemy tech. The solution to this issue is actually simple. Make frozen blocks do freezing damage to surrounding blocks as long as they are receiving freeze damage. So if block A is being hit by a cryobeam and it freezes it will do freezing damage to its neighbor block B. When block B is frozen it then does freezing damage to its neighbor, block C, because block B is receiving freezing damage from block A. If you stop firing the cryobeam in the beginning of this scenario block B will instead do thaw damage to block A and help it to thaw quicker.

You can do all sorts of things with a mechanic like this such as make furnaces really hard to freeze (and make them thaw surrounding blocks) as long as they have fuel chunks or make fuel tanks really easy to freeze. I just think that the Cryobeam would make an excellent addition to Reticule Research and it would add an interesting gameplay mechanic that wouldn't be too disruptive to the game.

Last edited:

RC-3197

3. Bouncer - Tractor Beam:
Inspiration Video:

Description:
The Bouncer Tractor Beam is a beam weapon that does no damage. Instead of damaging the enemy tech the tractor beam instead slows the entire tech down until it's completely held in place (mechanically this could be done by making the wheels slow down until they stop functioning). It also slows and then cancels the effects of gravity (which can be set to 0 by the game or hard-coded to not accept any movement so they don't move) so that captured aircraft are suspended in the air when held in place. But there are conditions that would make Tractor Beams less effective. Tractor Beams have a harder time slowing down larger tech's, this would make it so little techs cannot slow down big ones easily. Tractor Beams will also have a harder time slowing down extremely fast techs, this makes it so if a tech is fast enough it can escape the tractor beam before it's held in place completely, this could also lead to situations where a burst of fuel powered rockets could allow you to escape the lock of a tractor beam. Tractor Beams also would put you at a disadvantage when the enemy tech you are stopping has more weapons than you do, it's not really a good idea to lock yourself in close quarters combat with a stronger tech because it will likely destroy yours, and it will be 100% your fault for stopping it with the Tractor Beam. Now because a single tractor beam is less effective against larger or faster techs, multiple Tractor Beams (if attached or being used by an allied tech) can be used at once to enhance the effect. This will allow you to stop enemy techs faster and allow you to slow down larger techs quickly. This would make an excellent addition to Reticule Research because I feel like they are the ones who would use an exotic weapon like this. I also think that this would lead to very interesting tactics such as making immobilizing turrets that give you the opportunity to go in for the kill. Overall, I think the tractor beam would make an excellent addition to the game.

Example Picture:
1582703010201.png

P.S. What makes this different from the cryobeam is that this can stop objects in the air, cryobeams don't effect gravity at all (besides making the tech slide when frozen). It also does not deactivate weapons or change the durability of the enemy's blocks. Cryobeams freeze things one block at a time while Tractor Beams stop an entire tech all at once. Both weapons serve different purposes. If you want to stop something quickly (and risk being attacked) you use a tractor beam. If you want to completely immobilize and destroy an enemy tech at the cost of taking longer, you use the cryobeam to freeze and shatter it.

Last edited:

RC-3197

4. Wraith - Cloaking Field:
Inspiration Video:

Description:
Having stealth in TerraTech is an idea that has probably been suggested thousands of times. The only reason this is suggested so much is because it's a great idea! I think that Reticule Research would be the ones most likely to have a cloaking device as it's a concept that has long eluded military organizations, such as Hawkeye who use traditional stealth technology like black paint and angled surfaces. Stealth in TerraTech needs to be carefully implemented, if it's done wrong it could impact the game balance negatively. I will now explain how stealth can be effectively implemented into TerraTech.

A good start to balanced stealth is having it use power. It should follow the example of the Better Future Anti-Gravity generators. They are a powered 'shield' that affect all blocks within their radius, the more blocks effected the faster it drains power. The cloaking field should function identical in that regard, running on power and draining more power if more blocks are effected. But instead of making the effected blocks weightless the cloaking field cloaks them.

If stealth isn't just great, useful, or fun, but is instead game-altering and extremely powerful, I'd suggest the cloaking devices have an extreme power drain, far greater than anti gravity. Otherwise, I wouldn't implement a penalty so harsh it becomes useless, I'm sure there were similar concerns with anti-gravity generators in the early days of their development.

Cloaking Fields, like anti-gravity generators, should come in 3 sizes, each with their own radius; 1x1x1 with a small radius named Wisp, 1x2x1 with a regular/medium sized radius named Phantom, and finally a 2x2x2 with a very large radius named Wraith.

Now that we have the power and function out of the way, what exactly is “cloaking”? Cloaking is when the blocks effected by the generator become invisible. How invisible? To be fair to players they will be 100% transparent leaving only a mirage-like outline to be seen (watch the video above, specifically SWBF 2015's cloaking, to see the exact visual effect I'm referring to).

Cloaking does not hide sounds (like wheels, generators, or even the cloaking field's noise) or hide effects (like tire tracks in the environment) so a trained eye will be able to detect the presence of a cloaked tech. It's a good thing they can be detected visually because a cloaked tech cannot be seen on radar or targeted while its cloak is active. This means guns will not move to target, missiles will not lock on, and AI/turret modules will not attack a cloaked tech. It's like they don't exist.

Just because they can't be targeted doesn't mean they're invincible. Cloaking devices aren't shields and any block that's hit by a stray bullet will take damage, this means that a trained eye can see and destroy a cloaked tech by manually firing weapons at them.

Cloaked techs can't attack without temporarily revealing themselves. For a cloaked tech to attack (pressing the space bar) it must take about half a second to uncloak before starting to actually fire. While firing, the tech is completely visible, on the radar, and capable of being targeted. Cloaking fields still use power in this state. When the tech stops firing it takes two seconds to restore the cloak. During that you are still vulnerable to radar and lock-on targeting.

This isn't the only way to lose your cloak. If a block takes damage (including collision damage from hitting the environment, falling hard, or crashing into another tech) it will be revealed for a second. The game already has a mechanic that could be utilized for this. Whenever a block takes damage it flashes red briefly, I suggest that while a block flashes red from taking damage (not from having low health) its cloak should be inactive, the tech itself should be able to be targeted and show up on radar for about a second (see the Steel Diver footage towards the end of the video). This allows the stray shots mentioned earlier to reveal the position of a cloaked tech allowing for AI to fire at the tech resulting in more stray shots, revealing more blocks temporarily.

That's all there is to it. Cloaking/stealth has been a long awaited mechanic in TerraTech and I think Reticule Research is the perfect corp for this device. If a hard counter is needed (usually stealth detector units are in games with stealth enemies) I suggest a 2x2x2 toggle-able radar which uses power to neutralize stealth within a reasonable radius, and a 1x1x1 radar that functions identical but neutralizes stealth in a very small radius using less power.

Last edited:

RC-3197

5. Vortex - Block Vacuum:
Inspiration Video:

Description:
The Vortex Block Vacuum is an extremely powerful short range weapon that does no damage. How is it powerful then? Instead of taking the traditional route of damaging blocks to detach them, it instead violently rips off the blocks off an enemy tech using the power of hurricane-force vacuum suction. The heavier the block the harder it is to rip it off the enemy tech, stray blocks will also be influenced by the suction. Using multiple vacuums will enhance the effect as long as both are active. Blocks that are under the influence of the Vacuum's vortex will be attracted to the position of the vacuum's nozzle much like a block magnet. This leads us to one of the vacuum's weaknesses. The Block Vacuum can only suck up blocks until its nozzle is clogged up by loose blocks, after that the Vortex can no longer influence any new blocks. With no way of being able to send blocks to the inventory, the block vacuum can clog up quite easily. The only way to avoid this issue is by using block magnets or SCUs to catch the loose blocks or you can stop firing your weapons (which would in turn, stop using the vacuum to suck stuff up, allowing the blocks to fall to the ground) which would leave you vulnerable to attack. And don't forget that repair bubbles would waste power repairing the loose blocks you collect. Another issue you would have by using this is an issue shared by block magnets and sometimes SCU's. Loose blocks will get in the way of your weapons by blocking your projectiles. You'll also end up destroying good blocks in that situation too! That would be really bad if it was an explosive battery. It could also interfere with your mobility if you place it somewhere near wheels, or on a tech that loses stabilization with extra weight. Even with those downsides the Vortex Block Vacuum would be a really fun block to use. It could be used in many creative ways such as using many vacuums to instantly create a loose block shield. I also think it could have a pretty funny background story, how Reticule Research one day noticed the cleaning bots using a vaccum on their test range and had the idea to weaponize it. I also think that it's just such a wacky weapon (with downsides) that would make a perfect fit for Reticule Research.

P.S. The Block Vaccum idea was suggested to me by my younger brother, and I thought it was a great idea and expanded on it.

Last edited:

RC-3197

6. Mazer - Microwave Beam:

Description:
The Mazer Microwave Beam is a laser-like weapon with a twist. Instead of burning its way into the enemy tech block by block from the outside, it instead cooks its way out block by block from the inside (much like your favorite frozen microwave meal; cold on the outside, yet scorching hot on the inside). Techs that are plated by thousands of pounds of armor plating will now find themselves asking what the point of it all was, when their juicy center is cooked by a weaponized kitchen appliance. I theorize that such a weapon could be mechanically achievable in TerraTech. The way this could potentially mechanically work is by doing the following. First, make a laser beam projectile that passes a specified distance through blocks (instead of stopping at the first block). Then the projectile's damage must be applied opposite to how a typical laser beam applies damage. Instead of the damage originating from the point of origin (the weapon block itself) and working its way to the end point (where the laser ends), the microwave beam would work its way from the end point to the origin point. It would deal damage to the blocks on the inside and work its way out. Because of how this functions the beam would have to be shorter than a typical laser beam (or adjust its maximum length, based on how many attached blocks would be hit by the beam divided by two) so that it damages the inside of the enemy tech, as opposed to the opposite side you are firing at. Now because it cooks things from the inside out, in some circumstances it will take longer than a typical laser beam to destroy an enemy tech, A good example of this would be when the enemy cab is placed on the outside layer as opposed to the core. I also think that it should be visually unique compared to other laser beams, a much wider sine wave, (like in Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour (in the video), which had both thin laser beams and thicker microwave beams) even though it only damages one block at a time. That would also visually indicate that it passes through blocks. Or you could make it invisible like a real life microwave beam (see the picture below) but I think that would be mean. I think that the Mazer Microwave Beam is simply a wacky weapon that introduces new problems (taking longer to hit a cab on the outside layer) because of its gimmick, which makes it a perfect candidate for the arsenal of Reticule Research. It would also be a memorable addition to TerraTech because it functions opposite to every other laser beam in the game. Overall, the Mazer Microwave Beam would make a great addition to the game.

Inspiration Video (graphical example of beam visuals, not mechanical):

A picture of the Active Denial System (ADS) a real-life non-lethal microwave-like (one with a true microwave wavelength would cook you) energy weapon created by the US military:
1582702707468.png

Last edited:

RC-3197

7. Boomerang - Reflector Shield:
Inspiration Video:

Description:
The Boomerang Reflector Shield functions like any other shield generator. It powers up, it protects the tech from enemy fire, it does all of that and something more. Instead of absorbing damage from enemy weapons, it reflects them right back where they came from. This turns an enemy's weapon against them. It does this by changing the ownership of the reflected projectile from the enemy to the user. Avoiding reflected blasts from an enemy is easy, all you have to do is move from where you fired at them. But those unfortunate enough to use weapons with higher velocities (especially laser beams) will find themselves being hit by their own weapons quite easily. Or they are a poor turret, who's now in some really big trouble. Because this is an experimental technology it consumes more power than the average shield generator. And I'll leave it up to the developers to decide, if things like megaton blasts or hawkeye cruise missiles are reflected at the cost of consuming twice as much power as usual. In an ideal world the reflector shield would look like a bunch of little hexagons put together (like shown in Supreme Commander 2 in the video above) as that seems to be the universal video game sign for reflector shield. Overall I think this would make a fun addition to the game as it would allow us to do shenanigans like bouncing a bullet between two techs until one runs out of power. It would also introduce an interesting complexity to battles without severely impacting the game. Reticule Research would be the perfect fit for a device like this because it breaks the norm at the cost of reduced efficiency. Reflector Shields would most likely be an emerging technology in a universe where shields are common-place, and I'm sure Reticule Research likes to keep its favorite toys to itself.

Last edited:

RC-3197

8. Omni - Optical Cannon:
Inspiration Video:

Description:
The Omni Optical Cannon is a weapon that fires a beam of concentrated light at the enemy. Sounds like just another laser, boring right? Well, you'd be wrong. This isn't just your run of the mill laser weapon, this is an optical beam. Optical beams are special not because they look cool but because they work together. If one Optical Cannon is preparing to fire, nearby Optical Cannons can power up and fire at the attacking optical cannon. This will power up the blast exponentially. If 1 cannon assists another, the blast is twice as strong, if 2 assist, the blast will be 3 times as strong. When an Optical Cannon's attack is powered up by the assistance of another optical cannon, its damage output is increased and it gains a splash damage multiplier (which will be set to a single block (1x1x1) when it is not assisted because 1x1 = 1, the more you know). When the beam makes contact with a block it refracts and splits off into smaller beams going in different directions (see the video above, specifically the sections where they are firing at infantry or units because it doesn't do that against buildings) and damaging the enemy blocks they hit, I think up to 5 small beams can be produced. The small beams don't get powered up from assisting optical cannon beams. Optical Cannons are omni-directional, this means like a wireless charger they don't need to turn to something, they are always pointed at their target. Optical Cannons can only assist another optical cannon if it's within its firing range. An optical cannon cannot assist an assisting optical cannon, it can only assist one that is about to fire, this makes it so only optical cannons within the range of the firing one can assist. Now because a Optical Cannon is stronger in numbers, an Optical Cannon by itself should be a little bit on the weaker side, not too weak, just weak enough that it isn't anything special when compared with other weapons in the game. Its true strength should start to show when 2 or 3 optical cannons are working together, then it should destroy things with ease, putting weapons like the GSO megaton to shame. Multiple techs with the optical cannon equipped are able to assist each other, this way we can do something like in Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 and 3, where we can have base defense turrets that charge each other up to fry an incoming enemy. Now because the Optical Cannon's true strength is only shown in numbers, their main downside is that you need to buy multiple of them. This would make it easy to discourage Optical Cannon spamming by making them expensive. I think that this weapon would make a fun addition to the game, there really is nothing like it in TerraTech, and unless this is noticed there probably never will be. It's honestly just such a unique concept in the grand scheme of all video games, not just TerraTech, I haven't seen anything like it in another game. I also think that it would be a really good fit for Reticule Research because it's really wacky and somewhat impractical, considering you need more than one to do some real damage. In the game it originates from, it's coming from a wacky Albert Einstein. Aforementioned Einstein has altered time permanently, is creating things like weather controlling super-weapons, time machines used as teleportation devices, and all sorts of other wacky things like any good mad scientist should! I think the Omni Optical Cannon is something that would make a fun and unique addition to TerraTech!

Last edited:

RC-3197

9. Inferno - Thermite Cannon:
Inspiration Video:

Description:
This is probably the most simple of my ideas. I was just fiddling around in Supreme Commander 2 trying to look for new weapons. When I fired the Experimental Dreadnought at the ground my jaw dropped. Never have I seen such a big fiery ball of death on a battleship before! I thought to myself “This needs to be in TerraTech!” Visually it reminds me of a Medieval siege weapon hurling a fireball. Visuals aside, the Inferno Thermite Cannon is a large cannon that hurls giant fireballs of death at the enemy. Like many other existing weapons it's a big cannon that fires a single (the video above shows the equivalent of 3 of this weapon) splash damage projectile. What makes this Cannon special is that it has huge splash damage (about a 3x3x3 GeoCorp block sized sphere (cut the corners off) of splash damage), very high damage output, but the projectile itself is slow moving. That way it's really easy to avoid but really deadly if it actually hits the target. This makes it perfect for destroying bases and turrets but really bad for destroying something that actually moves, unless of course, the enemy tech is distracted by another enemy tech. I think this weapon would be incredibly gimmicky and impractical. This makes it perfect for continuing Reticule Research's reputation for making things that sound really good on paper, look scary, and end up being impractical because of an overlooked flaw. I also think this weapon would be one that is very memorable.

Last edited:

RC-3197

10. Lamprey - Power Leecher:
Description:
The Lamprey Power Leecher is a weaponized wireless charger. Instead of giving power like it usually does, the mad men at Reticule Research, due to the discovery of a defective GSO charger, figured out how to reverse the flow of energy, allowing the charger to drain power from an enemy tech! Because the charger turned leecher is now a weapon it must be fired using the space bar. It's an unstable technology which means the amount of power it takes from the enemy tech is completely randomized. It does have a stable fire rate equal to the discharge rate of a GSO charger. Just like any other wireless charger you can attach as many of these to your tech at once. Also like any other wireless charger (and due to Reticule Research's desire to avoid lawsuits) it won't operate when your battery is full. Sorry buddy, you probably aren't going to be able to use all 200 power leechers you just attached to your tech, especially if your battery is full. I think that this would add an interesting mechanic to the game, it could also allow techs to become stronger the more they fight enemy techs instead of gradually weakening over time. I think that lots of creative people will find creative uses for such a block. It would make a great addition to TerraTech and out of all my ideas, this is probably one of the easier ones to pull off.

P.S.
Captain Load posted in July of 2019 about a very similar idea to mine before I got a chance (well I had a chance, I'm just a really bad procrastinator) to post about it:
RR Energy Leech: This dreadful creation is a modified remote charger that works in reverse. It will drain power from the closest enemy tech at two-thirds the rate of a GSO Remote Charger's energy transferal. Only one power leech may be equipped on any one tech. [Range is equal to GSO remote charger.] Note that an energy flow disruptor and an energy leech can target the same tech, which can leave a target with dry batteries very quickly!
To be honest I'm kinda creeped out that the name was very similar (that's how I found the post, by typing in “Power Leecher” into the search bar about a week ago!), although the implementation of is very different, personally I like mine better (I might be a little biased though...). But congrats dude, you're a freaking psychic! And that shows the idea of a power leeching device is a good one!

Once again I waited too long to post an idea of mine, which is ironic considering I came up with it at the same time as the Tesla Overcharging Gun, which also was suggested by someone else during the large span of time between when I came up with the idea and posted about it. And hopefully I've finally learned my lesson to not procrastinate posting an idea for a year or two (Spoiler alert, I haven't learned my lesson).

Last edited:

RC-3197

11. Enigma - Radar Jammer:
Description:
The Enigma Radar jammer is a relatively simple idea. A 1x1x1 block that attaches like a radar but instead of granting radar, it jams the radar of the enemy within a limited (yet long) range. This can be indicated visually in many ways, a lot of games have a examples of this with their mini maps. My personal favorite implementation of a jammed mini-map is the static effect in Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader (as shown in the picture (and video) below). I think that would be the best choice for TerraTech, completely obscuring the mini-map with static. As an added touch it could also make the North indicator (and other indicators with it) randomly rotate (by choppy snapping, not by a smooth rotation) to randomized positions on the mini-map. Now because we need to be fair to AI and players alike, it should also have a physical disadvantage to techs as well as a visual one. It should add a slight delay (maybe a second) to targeting systems, and AI engagement. For example, your AI turrets would take a second to notice a tech while their radar is being jammed, your weapons would take a second before they start to rotate to target any enemy, missiles won't be able to lock on until your weapons begin to rotate because they too have a delay. Now for this effect to happen all it takes is for a tech to be jammed, so this delay will apply to you whether you are attacking the tech with the radar jammer or another enemy tech nearby. As long as the radar jammer is active and your tech is within the range of it, your lock on will be delayed. This is where the visual indicator comes in handy, because you'll know you are being effected by a jammer (and if you get any smart ideas about using the Stealth Generator with this, it will give away your position by showing that you are nearby) Now the reason why this is so low on the list is because I really think it could go to both Hawkeye or Reticule Research. Maybe it could go to both, where Hawkeye has a jammer with a small range, and Reticule Research has a jammer with a long range, that jams the radar of both the enemy, your allies and yourself. Or maybe I'm just thinking about it too hard and it should go to Reticule Research without needing any extra downsides. I'll leave that for the developers to decide. Overall I think that the Enigma Radar Jammer would be a fun yet simple addition to the game, it would add an extra element of espionage and mystery that would just make TerraTech a more rich experience.

Example of a jammed radar (From a Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 Video):
1582702890806.png 1582702898698.png

RC-3197

12. Bizarre Autominer:
An unusual autominer that can mine any resource from any resource seam at the players choosing (like a filter). This power unfortunately comes at a cost. This autominer will use up 4 chunks from the seam to produce 1 chunk. This means that you will extract 250 chunks while using up the entire seam. Perhaps better technology would fix such shortcomings, but alas, Reticule Research assures us it is a work in progress and that the issues will be handled in a later iteration coming Soon™ (spoiler alert, it's really not coming soon, it's not coming at all). Some important things to note, like filters it has the ability to be set to stop, by default it is set to stop. Also like filters, the selected chunk should be saved in snapshots. It cannot extract components or refined resources. Reticule Research doesn't strike me as the type to set mining as a priority, but I think if they did, they would use a tool that would do something thought impossible (which obviously could be achieved by video game magic, aka manually changing the output chunk type variable) that would at the same time hinder the player. Sure you got 250 wood from a Erudite deposit, but at what cost? This would also open the door to other autominer variations like the GeoCorp strip miner, or other auto miner related improvements (GSO autominer speed buff please, I don't like taking 5 minutes to set up autominers where my reward is sitting through a 2 hour and 45 minute lag-fest).

RC-3197

Conclusion:
It took me a very long time to make this list, and honestly, I would be shocked if any of these ideas made it into the game. So thank you for reading this list because that makes it worth the work. While I was searching for blocks, I realized that TerraTech is really close to having almost every kind of weapon or mechanic one could want in a game like this (besides crafting stuff which would come from space junkers and advanced AI which would come with Legion [also I have no idea what people want out of structural stuff like armor, chassis, movement options, or wheels so I won't pretend I know how complete those aspects of the game are]), following these ideas would put TerraTech that much closer to perfection! These ideas would make TerraTech a better game overall, and it would potentially make Reticule Research by far, the most popular and fun Corporation in the game, which isn't a bad thing. It would be remembered as the Corporation that revolutionized TerraTech as a whole with its absolute wackiness (kind of like how Better Future revolutionized hovering, Space Junkers will hopefully revolutionize crafting [with a universal scrapper, component splitter, odd numbered resource block, or refined resource chunk to raw resource chunk device *wink *wink *wink], and Legion will hopefully revolutionize the AI). I really hope I inspired you to think of an idea for yourself, I'd love to hear it here or in a post of you own! I also enjoy having feedback, so if there's a section of this you have a question about (hopefully not due to a mistake or miscommunication of mine) ask it! I'll be happy to answer your questions as soon as I can! (It likely won't be an immediate response so please be patient, I also won't be able to answer any questions until I wake up tomorrow, time zones are janky)

Last edited: