R&D Labs - FAQ

Rob

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
  • What is R&D Labs?
R&D Labs is a major update to TerraTech’s R&D (Research and Development) DLC, complete with a brand new look, new blocks and a host of new content.

Over the last few weeks, you may have noticed that we have been giving R&D some TLC. This has been part of a larger project to overhaul and improve the existing content, giving it a visual boost, as well as providing new tools and toys for players to enjoy.

Some of the things you’ll notice in this R&D Labs update include:

• Reticule Research rebrand
  • Battle Arena
  • Time Trials with custom terrain
  • Biome areas from Campaign
  • Testing Tools area
  • 10 new blocks
  • 35 redesigned/rebranded blocks
...and more
  • What happened to EXP?
Upon entering the R&D Labs, you may notice that things look a little different. Very different, in fact. Well, it turns out that over the last few months, EXP have become increasingly disgruntled at the lack of credit they’ve been given for the work they have done, providing a range of ingenious new blocks to the five major corporations. As such, they decided it was high time they hired a brand manager, who could bring their look into the 25th century. Some questionable names and designs followed, but eventually, they settled on a slick new brand, Reticule Research.

(As a team, we’ve always seen EXP as filling the role which Reticule Research was essentially designed for. This update is something we’ve had in mind for a while now, and we’re really excited to see what you make of it).
  • What is Reticule Research?
Reticule Research (‘RR’) is the new name for the company formerly known as EXP. In their brand new Lab, Reticule Research works on experimental new technology, which is either commissioned by a corporation, or sold to the highest bidder. All major corporations have licensed new tech from the RR R&D Lab in the past, so they remain an incredibly important part of the planet-mining business.
  • Is Reticule Research a corporation?
No. Reticule Research is a rebrand of EXP. Functionally, nothing will change about the way the R&D Lab is run. If you have access to R&D, you will still have a chance of receiving some RR Blocks in the main campaign as mission rewards, but it is not a corporation and will not have its own missions.
  • What does this update cost?
If you already own the R&D pack, whether through the TerraTech Deluxe Edition, or via a standalone R&D purchase, then it will cost you nothing,

In August 2018 we dropped the price of the R&D pack from £6.99 to £3.99, partly to reflect the fact that we weren’t planning on making any significant changes to it in the immediate future. With this update, we will be reverting the price back to its original £6.99 price point. HOWEVER, we will not be doing so until the new update reaches the stable branch, so anyone who doesn’t already own R&D has the next few weeks to get it for the current price.

We will announce the stable release date a few days ahead of time.

xXThunderFlameXx

Aircraft Enthusiast
Will there be any blocks that will stay RR? For example the new weapons wouldn't fit other corps, and basic blocks and wheels aside from the trailer ones wouldn't be needed anywhere else.

RC-3197

Wow this is dissapointing, I guess cool weapons like Tesla coils and EMP guns aren't allowed in terra tech, Reticule Research was the faction I was looking forward to the most...

Also at least add an EXP terminal, it's a pain to rely on trading stations because you can't craft or use a terminal to get EXP blocks

Last edited:

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
Reticule research is not a Corp. It is a rebranding of EXP. The only thing different is some of the new blocks.

Edit: the new blocks are only 6 standard building blocks all corps have and 2 pretty mediocre weapons which i would rather use gso beginner weapons anyways

Last edited:

Rob

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Thanks for the questions.

Just to set expectations, we'll be collating these overnight and addressing what we can tomorrow.

I thought I'd caught the main questions in the FAQ, but looks like I've missed a few!

Appreciate your patience

Epic afdc

Just to set expectations, we'll be collating these overnight and addressing what we can tomorrow.

I thought I'd caught the main questions in the FAQ, but looks like I've missed a few!

Appreciate your patience
Thank you, rob. I hope you guys can decide that RR needs to be a real Corp. not just a rebranding of EXP

Havok

Thank you, rob. I hope you guys can decide that RR needs to be a real Corp. not just a rebranding of EXP
It should absolutely be a real Corp, with its own missions. And it would reward you with a crate of EXP (now RR) blocks.

They should also have some unique weapons, like a powerful single shot R-type or Yamato like wave cannon, or other crazy and large things, that are never gonna go to another corporation and cannot ever be crafted, since all EXP/RR items are not craftable and the only way to acquire them would be through their missions.

These missions could be weird and unique like "test the effectiveness of this block by doing/sustaining X damage with it", "reach X speed/complete this track with a pure corporation tech (I guess Venture, but who knows) plus RR blocks". They are researchers after all, and they sell their work to other corps, right? This would be gating content behind the R&D dlc, I know. But you can't just ditch RR like that. And R&D has always been a large, large, LARGE part of the game for many.

Speaking of R&D, I find the new floor texture to be a bit... invasive. Maybe it should be limited to key areas, and revert to the original plain grid texture elsewhere?

Mindl3ss

Mindless Dominion Fleet Admiral
I find it funny, no one has noticed the REAL treasure that was just dropped right here in this thread.

• What happened to EXP?
Upon entering the R&D Labs, you may notice that things look a little different. Very different, in fact. Well, it turns out that over the last few months, EXP have become increasingly disgruntled at the lack of credit they’ve been given for the work they have done, providing a range of ingenious new blocks to the five major corporations. As such, they decided it was high time they hired a brand manager, who could bring their look into the 25th century. Some questionable names and designs followed, but eventually, they settled on a slick new brand, Reticule Research.

You see it yet?

Okay, i'll spoil it.

who could bring their look into the 25th century.

We finally have an officially stated timeframe for when the game takes place.

SO Yeah. Enjoy bickering about not likeing the RR release. those who are annoyed about having to buy R&D, well you should be getting R&D anyways. I spend most of my playing time in R&D, and really you are just missing out on half the game if you dont have it. and honestly 7 bucks or whatever 6.99 Euros is dirt cheap for the content involved, let alone 3.99. Quite frankly im not concerned about it being DLC being a problem.

My only concern is that we wont be getting a new corporation this year. and i am not impatient. the only reason is concerns me is that if Payload decides it doesnt need to keep up it's established pace, Many players will simply give up on waiting for real changes in the gameplay and move on to a game with faster development. Dont let us down Payload, or we might let you down in return. i mean i wont. im far too invested in this game, but it's going to boring if i lose the sizable community around it...

So @Rob just to set expectations, Are we getting a new corporation this year?

Last edited:

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Appreciate your patience
Please make RR a real corp. The rebranding of EXP is fine, but if it's at the expense of a genuine corp, then it's more a slap in the face than legitimate new content. The heart of TerraTech is both design and implementation. If we cannot implement RR blocks in campaign (through the established mission and manufacturing gameplay loop) then they become a source of consternation instead of fun.

Tangentially, I have advocated for this before, but there are still a lot of balance issues with existing blocks, and there are combat metas which desperately need fixed. I hope Payload is still thinking about these things.

Saelem Black

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Yes but everybody and their mother was expecting Reticule Research to be a fully fledged Corp that you can get missions from and get a license from.
Exactly this. The more I think about the implementation, the more disappointed I'm feeling.

Payload set the expectation already for a full-fledged corp, just like the others. Breaching this expectation is the problem.

I don't think anyone really cares about having all the bells and whistles that other corps have, but it should at least have a scrapper/fabricator, some basic wheels, and a moderate amount of body blocks. The sweet spot for this corp should be the use of unique mechanics or visuals. Tesla coils and balloon wheels have been mentioned already, for example.

UNITGX48

Theta VII C - Ice ball, average of 20 degrees.
So. my feelings as a vet.

A) I'm totally fine with EXP getting rebranded as RR. It looks cleaner and actually does make sense lore wise.

B) I Love the hand full of new weapons, the giga laser probably has the most character in it than any other block, right down to it partly malfunctioning before firing.

C) I am however extremely disappointed to hear RR is being restricted to DLC and is not getting its own corporation tag with missions, a license, etc. Not adding them to the base game as a true corp is missing a huge ammount of potential...

Many players were awaiting this corporation in particular. Big sciency guns that might explode in your face half the time you try to use them, parts that just dont match any other corporation, strange missions... tack those onto the terrain changing missions you've been toying with.

And im not opposed to waiting for a future update that does eventually add RR as a real corp... I play besiege... im used to waiting for updates.