Question about anchored tech

Ry5

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1911387831
is my tech modified from

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1900007560

and I really encourage you to check out Kagari128k's techs. There are a lot of interesting builds in there.

To get to the point, his last tech
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1918846897
Is a further modification of the changes I made to the original to allow it to work in the Co-op Campaign
More weapons, far less solar panels, where as I was going for a longer time to kill yet survive so I can kill without AoE weapons and have much more to salvage on Co-op Campaign to sell

Now that all that is out of the way

My question is about how solar panels work in combat.

So most decent tech that can operate in fights in my view has 2 HP bars. One bar being practically nonexistent being the HP of the blocks that surround the cab, and the other being the amount of energy that the batteries hold that power the shields.
The HP bar of the blocks doesn't really matter at this point in the game due to extreme and stack-able nature of area of effect damage that is very common in this game. You can't protect the cab with ANY blocks because the damage that the block takes is just the center point of the bubble of damage that radiates well inside of your tech to the weaker things like cabs, or batteries, etc

So we make shields and set them on the edges of our tech so the shield takes the damage and the blocks take NO damage, because if they take damage then the battle is already lost as explained above.

Well shields run on power, and the amount of power you have is based on the capacity of the batteries you run on your tech. That is easy enough for me to test on my own, I can get a feel for if I need more batteries just by trying some missions and seeing the drain on the power gauge (effective HP) bar.

Effective HP in this game in my view is Power capacity vs power use on shields to stop damage and power use on repair to regen damage to blocks as needed. Hopefully the regen cost should be minimal in most scenarios if the shields are set up right.

One thing I can't test or at least have not figured out how to test well is the amount of difference it makes to have more solar panels running during combat.
My design added solar panels (totaling in 24 panels) with the idea that my effective HP would be extremely high in the situations I wanted them to be. I can get near where a group of enemies are, anchor, wait for the panels to go up then due to the nature of the sky anchor I can drive into combat and still have the solar panels filling up the batteries

There is no component that shows anything like the amount of power you are using, just what you have.

Ideally there would be a component I could add to the tech that would display Green number that was your current intake of power, and a red number that would show your power expenditure on a moment to moment basis and I would be able to figure this out easily.

What I am curious about, and hopefully someone can devise a way to test this out
The data I could use is how much energy it cost per point of damage or energy cost per damage per second
Does this energy cost per damage have a different rate depending on the type of shield?
Does AoE damage drains shields faster due to it hitting more parts and if so what is the energy cost per second, or does it it only drain more energy if it hits more than one shield?
Does different sized AoE damage have a higher/lower energy cost per second when hitting a single shield?
Lastly how much energy does a solar panel provide per second, and does this number run into any issues of capping out or not stacking

In my limited attempts to test this in creative mode there were too many variables to account for to really figure out how effective it is to add power generation to the equation.

Falchoin

The first two questions are more or less answered here in a thread posted by ZeroGravitas. https://forum.terratechgame.com/ind...asured-and-compared-balancing-feedback.20025/ Basically the bigger the shield the faster it drains power over time and the more power it drains per point of damage taken by the shield.

As far as AoE hitting multiple shields, I’m fairly certain only the shield hit by the actual projectile actually drains energy. My testing with layered shielding a while ago would have failed miserably otherwise.

AoE size does not matter if it’s only hitting shields. However, larger AoE means it’s more likely to hit blocks behind the shields which drains power because of repair bubbles.

I’m not sure how quickly solar panels charge batteries. It might be easiest to determine how quickly each solar panel charges one battery by timing how quickly it fills one full segment (i.e. unblinking segment) then multiplying by 5. I’d suggest picking whichever battery you use the most on the tech in question. So far as I know solar panels stack linearly, which means the charge rate benefit has diminishing returns with additional solar panels (e.g. going from 1 solar panel to 2 is doubling the rate but you would need to go from 2 solar panels to 4 to double the rate again).

Ry5

1 solar panel = 5 energy per second (or whatever amount of energy)
2 solar panel = 10 energy per second
4 solar panel = 20 energy per second

would be good news

And that is good news that multiple shields do not drain more energy when it comes to AoE damage.

I put some time in Creative mode where I had the same enemy tech try and break through the shields on the tech with 10 solar panels, and 24 solar panels and its been hard to find an enemy that can show a difference. It "feels" like the 24 solar panel tech is tankier overall but I'd like to find out more precisely what the difference is.

Other than the R&D pack is there a way to make an enemy tech for testing like this?

Falchoin

In creative mode you can use the tech manager to set techs as player or enemy. Even ones you build or spawn in.