Quality of Life Improvements

NotExactlyHero

FORUM DEFENDER
Apr 9, 2017
Anywhere and Everywhere
www.khanacademy.org
Can we remake the UI, again

While you're at it if you could start making an ingame index/glossary/catalogue; a menu/panel/panels that tells you statistics and uninteresting facts about blocks, such as hp, dps, power, etc. These things can be found already ingame, but a place to find (read: discover) all of this information, together, would be very nice.

zugbug33

Ruler of the soon to come robot insect invasion
Apr 13, 2020
a mound of dirt somewhere
Dual Corp Blocks
A bit of a long shot idea, but the idea of the game is to use all the blocks available to you to create incredible techs and contraptions. This means you’ll be working with all the different corps at once. This is great and all but it often times leaves me building with a set one or two corps because many of them do not mesh well together. Venture and GC almost never share a spot on my tech because of how strange they look together.
My idea is to add a few transitions or “Dual Corp” blocks. Basically blocks that allow for transitions between two corps so there are much more seamless transitions rather than different blocks stapled to each other
They can be slopes or normal building blocks that are half one Corp, half another with a sort of connection between them that makes them look more natural
It’s a big ask for sure but I do believe it would add some cool new dynamics to building, and even encourage using all the corps

Sebby

That one over-serious pvp guy
Dec 18, 2019
[Segment 1 of 4]
It is time for me to make a giant block of text on things I want for multiplayer!

oh boy, now that I think of it, I'm gonna split this up into 3 parts.

ok, it's 5 parts now.

Overarching things in all modes of MP.

Move/be able to move, resize, and change the font size on chat (mainly so you can read it while building.)

Give the chat priority when it comes to hotkeys.

-Side note, make it so when you rebind P, it stays rebound.

Add a visual indicator within the chat box itself when you're typing in team chat, so you know if you are instead of writing a whole paragraph on something only for you to have to rewrite it again because no one saw it.

Clean up the MP lobby menu, it's messy and you really only look at 4 of the things on it, the rest you have no idea what they do. Like, what is visibility? What do the numbers mean? Why are there two columns of it??

Renovate the UI, it's clunky, modernize it like the mission log and inventory (goes for everything else really, like the pause menu, main menu, bug reporter etc.)

Expand the border size for all modes, including deathmatch. It's often too cramped to do anything with and you have to wait for everyone to catch up, which can be very annoying if someone is afk, taking a break, etc., and you want to progress or just not be tied to a single area.

Add dynamo maybepossiblyperhapspleaseIdon'twanttobestuckonthesolarpanelmonopoly.

Official mods. The system where if the host doesn't have a mod then it won't be loaded is very nice as it is, and it should be kept. However, problems arise when joining others. I would like it if the prompt to download official mods would tell you which, similar to Besiege. Also similar to Besiege, it would be nice to have an in-game menu where you can enable/disable particular mods that you do or don't want to use, so you don't have to carry 40 all at once.

When you are prompted to download mods, the blocks should be mandatory, however, you can choose whether or not you want to download the skins, because are they really necessary to joining the server? Sure, they might make someone look cool, but not everyone wants to download their 40+ skins only for them

On the topic, when you have to forcibly auto-download x amount of mods when joining a random server, you can't get rid of them until you restart your game, which can mess up your tech's skin because of that weird id system that's messed up.

Adding a ping counter to the player menu would be nice.

As the host, be able to mute other players. By this, I mean a global mute, rather than a personal mute. There are just those people who you don't want to listen to.

Adding a grant-able admin mode. This would be nice if you have a friend on your server and you want them to keep the server safe while you're gone, they'd have simple permissions, such as kicking players.

Adding an auto-save feature to co-op. Now, I know the game tells you to manually save, but most of my 2500+ snaps are progress saves, because I don't want to overwrite a save that might be useful, and that I'm usually under constant threat while I'm building. If this were to happen, I'd like it to be a toggled feature (also, having a separate section of your snapshot library for autosaves would be nice. While I'm on the topic of snapshot library, can it have a simplified version without the previews? My game drops to >6 fps if I don't use the search bar because of all the loaded snaps).

Having in-game moderation would be nice so players that are using unofficial mods to grief those without them would be nice, or any other malicious form, though this one is iffy.

Oh yeah, unofficial mods, can the TTMM people make it so they only activate if the host enables them?

Last edited:

Sebby

Dec 18, 2019
[Segment 2 of 4]
Bugs, I know I know, this is a QoL thing, but these at least have to be mentioned. A fair few of these ascertain to co-op creative in their usage.

With the RR tesla coil, you can have it charge up an attack at someone but then change team (to theirs or neutral) and still have it do full damage when it fires (if your target is still in range). This can be used to heavily grief other players who are doing nothing and can't do anything but run, which is not always the case...

Another very annoying issue with the tesla coil is that it creates a massive amount of lag when it doesn't have enough power to taze something, and thus when someone spawns in their giant tesla brick and inevitably runs out of power, the entire server will start dying.

With any projectile weapon (sticky bomb launcher in particular), you can shoot a player and swap teams before the projectile hits/detonates, and it will do full damage when it does. The main usage of this is to get into a fast, agile tech and run at someone, fire off your stickies, run, and then swap teams to do a massive amount of damage at no cost. Again, this can be done with standard weapons, but the sticky bomb launcher is the most prevalent and annoying.

Going above 5000 ft will make your tech invulnerable to any damage and any physics, meaning you can sit up there and no one can do anything to you. This is absurdly annoying when said tech is an orbital strike cannon that you can do L I T E R A L L Y N O T H I N G to except threaten to kick, which really should only be a last resort.

Unofficial mods. I'm looking at you, miscmod. You can activate the client-side mods whenever you want, and it's very annoying. Context being that you can go several hundreds of thousands of m/kph and the host can't do anything but threaten to kick, or get a minor 5-10% speed boost that you can't even notice. Target lead to, but come on, who doesn't have this one on already? At least the nice part is that the host controls water height.

In deathmatch, there is a serious bug where some players simply cannot hurt other players in specific. This is the main bug that kept me away from it, and why I don't have much to say about it.

Being hit by missiles (including your own, contact that is) will cause your tech to jitter. By this I mean that your tech will essentially stutter, which can make flying planes with a few avalanches very uncomfortable, and can mess up your flying if it's severe enough.

When you pick up a block and swap techs while it's still doing its animation, the block will become a ghost block that you can't remove. This bug is annoying when a tech gets destroyed and someone goes to clean it up and they don't wait long enough and you have a big mess.

Co-op Campaign

Furnace generator. Its single input causes far less desync than what base GSO delivery cannons can do (literally just having two causes massive issues if you're not the host).

On the topic of power, I see no reason why we can't have the geothermal generator, I mean, come on, it doesn't even use chunks.

Maybe increase the sell price of blocks from 1/9th to 1/6th, because spending hours grinding missions is only entertaining for so long.

One issue with co-op campaign is that it's very easy for you to lose all of your blocks. Ways include players dumping them all on the ground, players voiding your entire base, players building a horrible tech and then immediately dying with it, players wasting all your money on useless blocks, and more. I've personally had to sell 3 big berthas because people would make a platform tech and drive straight at an enemy because they think it's their own little creative playground, and then proceed to immediately leave. What do I suggest for this? Adding a rep system. You can either leave a good or bad reputation on a player, and it can be seen through something like the player menu. For example, if you think someone builds really nice techs, you can upvote them, and when they join another server, the other players can see this, and give them a bit more respect. Naturally, there will be people who attract dislikes, such as cab bombers (maybe there could be a system where only players with a certain rep can join). You would know to avoid or be cautious of these people from the community's opinion of them. One thing I would suspect is someone like me also naturally attracting downvotes, since I'm usually pretty harsh and swear out children, but it's usually because they're scummy in their ways and that I play the game to beat people up. As a possible counter, you can limit the daily amount of votes that a person can give, like World of Warships, though there will still be those people who'll downvote anyone who they don't like because they don't like them personally, but it'll at least be somewhat limited. (this kinda expanded past co-op campaign, but you get the idea).

Last edited:

Sebby

Dec 18, 2019
[Segment 3 of 4]
Co-op Creative

Alright, this is where most of my talk will be
;)

Car keys, just don't leave them in your tech. What I'm saying is that you lock your tech so that no one can snapshot, rename, or control it, only despawn it. This will make tech theft far harder, requiring a save of the world (even then, the player shouldn't be able to drive it still) and manually rebuilding the tech, or coercing the player to purposefully unlock their tech, which is a whole different story. On top of this, you could also, just maybe, give the keys to a specific tech to a specific person, in the case of handovers. This would be very much appreciated, as you would no longer have to have your major superstitions of having you tech stolen the second you whip it out.

Revert the decision to leave your tech in the server when you leave/get kicked. Not only would this clear lag, but it too would further reduce tech stealing.

Send all to inventory. A button that allows you to send all deployed and non-controlled techs to the inventory. useful for dealing with deploy spammers or cab bombers. Now, if this were to happen, do it very carefully. Do not put it on the tech manager, as opening is near certain death if someone dropped a cab bomb because all of those stupid previews ends up with you loading in 200+ pngs of basically the same thing, which makes it more optimal to just shoot them instead, which is a problem if they were set to neutral. This may or may not be restricted to host only, as some rando joining your organized server with a full base and then wiping it because they complained about lag of their own accord is just plain annoying.

Superflat mode, possibly similar to the old EXP world (kind of a whiny thing to ask for, but even the salt flats is uneven, which can be annoying for anchor setups).

Having a customizable block cap for explicit types of blocks. Here's a friendly list of things, that just might indicate as to why; cannon wall, missile bed, cab bomb, GC sponge monster, standard stupid leviathan techs, that one stupid giant FTUE, those other workshop techs that are disgustingly large and are annoying to deal with.

Permission spawning. Basically, if a player wants to load in a tech that's, say, above 8 mil, or has a large quantity of x block, such as 2300 mk3 battleship cannons, you will get a passive prompt asking if you will allow such tech. You could get a preview of it being spawned in like snapshot previews, and determine if it's suitable or not. While this may be used for unfair play in that the host has a far more powerful tech that you can't beat, it'll be worth the hassle of someone swapping to their leviathan airship that takes you 15+ minutes to deal with.

Last edited:

Sebby

Dec 18, 2019
[Segment 3.5 of 4]
continued...
If there is a player on an opposing team nearby, you cannot swap. This is to deal with swap spammers, because no one likes them. The only way currently to deal with them is to sit on them, which is a pain if they're in a flying tech. Possibly, as an extension to this, there could be a customizable timer so that if they get away, they don't immediately swap. You could still be scummy but not nearly as much so. This would also apply to deployed techs, though there may be issues with players blocking those in FTUEs from swapping, but then again, this already happens.

Have the spawn point be variable. Currently, if you're not on a team with another player and there are no techs of a similar team to yours and that there's no one within the vicinity, you always spawn north, and sometimes will spawn there next to another player. This leads to scrupulous spawncamping and other nasty things, so I say have it be random across the server border, and there be a toggled option as to whether or not you want to spawn next to friendly players/techs, since you will also often get accidentally spawncamped by this when the enemy is fighting your teammate and you've already died then get repeatedly caught in the crossfire.

Change the logo for when you create a lobby. I mean come on, you're way better off swapping its icon with co-op campaign's.

There is a semi-rare occurrence where you can have a lobby with 5+ players. I would like it if this cap could be raised, and that you could set the lobby size manually, such as having a 2 player lobby, or a 6 player one. This, of course, would be more strain on the server, but if it's voluntary then you could add a warning to it.

Add a toggled swear filter, so the game can try to filter them in the case you do want to.

Ban/blacklist function, because there's always the persistent one that keeps coming back to cab bomb you.

Being able to switch to the enemy team. By this, I mean that instead of being on a team that other players can join you on, you're on a team where it's essentially FFA, and that your weapons are open to firing on any other team, including this one, except neutral, because there's always that persistent one who keeps joining your team to avoid death.

Though this is possible in co-op campaign, an issue more prevalent in co-op creative is that players can sit in neutral mode and shoot you with things like the ZPEG and AA repulsor gun, which is very annoying if you're trying to build, or do anything in particular. It'd be nice if at least the AA gun would not do knockback to other players while on neutral mode, though I don't know what you can do for the ZPEG.

On the topic of teams, add a customizable cooldown/timer for it so players don't spam team swapping to be cheesy.

Anchored techs that take damage that aren't on your team will still give you the prompt that they under attack. It would be nice if this message would be restricted to techs on your team only.

Last edited:

Sebby

Dec 18, 2019
[Segment 4 of 4]
Deathmatch

Chat goes away too quickly, even on teams mode.

With just a single kill, you essentially win unless you get teamed on or another player is building up a stash. Simply put, you breach the power gap needed to easily stomp your competitors who have nearly nothing compared to you, unless you're Legionite, of course.

Related to previous statement, you can essentially kill yourself for parts. While this is useful for breaking holds, it's really annoying if you're the one in hold, or if you're doing a duel, because you can't really stop the player and they get parts they'd get from kills but with little to no risk, with the exception of killstreak rewards.

Having the max timer increased would be nice, because most of the time, I feel 1 hour is too short. Granted, you can also acquire a stupid amount of power with more time, but isn't that what you're playing deathmatch for?

There's probably more to mention, such as auto-balancing in teams mode, but I don't have the proper experience with deathmatch to really say. This is mostly because of the snowball effect of one player (usually the host) getting all the power, and if you were to kill them you're likely just to get kicked, or simply run out of time.

and thus, rant.

sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining, being whiny, begging, or petty, but these things really bug me. I also expect many people to have their dislikes about what I'm saying, but it's simply what I've observed of my ~2300/(2500 total) hours of co-op and the way I play, P V P idc how much you shun me, I won't stop beating children mercilessly.

plzdon'tbanmepleaseandthankyou.

With how long it is and how many issues there are with co-op, I'll probably be adding to this over time, though it's already pretty long...

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
The VEN cab has
far worse handling
as compared to
the HE cab

(or at least by what I can still recall)

Please fix (the VEN cab)
Yas. Oh, and cabs lose wheels as soon as they get a block attached, while it should only happen if the bottom side is blocked. I suppose the ones like venture that deploy parts when they are out alone could be an issue, but at least the GSO/HE could get that?
Also, the cab weapons would often shoot the tech they are on due to the short range/projectile speed, and they should deactivate unless there are not any REAL weapons available on the tech.

*One more thing, Melee weapons seem to get damaged and detached too easily when ramming things at high speeds, and/or when the tech is heavy. They should almost act like wheels and absorbs impacts pretty well, if not immune to them.

Last edited:

Wassaup

Apr 28, 2019
This is by far, the pettiest, least useful request on this thread, but here goes:

Could the cross-corp skins be fully integrated into the game? They are a fantastic addition to the customization aspect of the game and deserve to be core components, rather than "just" mods. They were a great introduction to official mods and workshop mods in general, but that mission is complete imo, and these skins should be upgraded. Plus, it would be a great help for people, who aren't comfortable with modding their game, even through official means.

I know, this would ultimately accomplish nothing, as the work is already done. We have cross-corp skins. They're there for us to use. The Steam workshop is just a formality. I don't expect this to actually happen, but hey, there's always hope!

Oh, and while I'm being a total Oliver Twist, could we have a cross-corp skin pack for Reticle Research? *rotten tomato splat*

LCo

Jul 6, 2018
It came to me a few days ago: what about caves? Won't it be nice to a base with a roof and 1 and entry and exit. The ressources found there could be the same as found in the alien pylon biomes.

Another biome I would love to see: somekind of savannah (because it suits what I see for my custom corp). It could be located at the boundries of greenlands and deserts. The ressources could be a balanced mix the ones found in both biomes. Some green/yellow tall grass and few trees be interesting.

Reactions: BlueSquare

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
Jul 4, 2018
It came to me a few days ago: what about caves? Won't it be nice to a base with a roof and 1 and entry and exit. The ressources found there could be the same as found in the alien pylon biomes.
While this is a great idea, this thread is for quality of life improvements, not major gameplay changes. This argument has also been made multiple times and has been stated that adding caves would be quite difficult to add as the game wasn't built on the idea of caves.

burger1113

Jan 3, 2015
While this is a great idea, this thread is for quality of life improvements, not major gameplay changes.
the game wasn't built on the idea of caves.
Looking at some of the terrain manipulation seen in missions, I’d say they could probably pull it off? But the real problem is the AI cuz they won’t know what to do in the confined space... Maybe after they learned some pathing so they know to steer away from stuff.
It would be nice to see proper mountains along with caves, as the current landscape is pretty mellow overall. Maybe a cone shaped mountain like Fuji that has a relatively gentle slop, so the AI can have a chance at navigating it.

Reactions: Skihiley

Vertu

Jun 10, 2020
Looking at some of the terrain manipulation seen in missions, I’d say they could probably pull it off? But the real problem is the AI cuz they won’t know what to do in the confined space... Maybe after they learned some pathing so they know to steer away from stuff.
It would be nice to see proper mountains along with caves, as the current landscape is pretty mellow overall. Maybe a cone shaped mountain like Fuji that has a relatively gentle slop, so the AI can have a chance at navigating it.
Id say the real possible limitation is collision complexity. The last thing anyone wants is a wheel to clip inside Voxels because it was compressed from 2 different directions into a 3rd dimension space. Usually, unless the collision is extremely stern, if you apply enough force from 2 directions in a corner you can clip into the wall, preventing this with Voxels might be a performance and complexity issue.

Also I can totally call it a quality of life thing as caves would let you find massive deposits of Plumbite and Titanite, basically anything that doesn't have a seam is in large quantities in caves due to the resources being accessible, making Titanite and Plumbite much easier to obtain in large quantities more reliably. This can apply to all resources, including seamed resources like Celulite which I have recently found to be a real damn pain to amass large quantities due to how rare Celulite has became (might be just my world).

Kevin Vanderhoef

Eldritch Horror, and Ship's Cat.
Aug 15, 2018
Somewhere in Seattle Washington.
Make sure that Control settings work like they should. When you change W/S keys to pitch control they should not remain as Acceleration/Deceleration controls.

The Option for a Sliding Throttle. We do not need to go max speed all of the time. Right now Acc/Deceleration is either on or off.

Conservation of motion. Things in flight (aircraft, hovercraft) should not decelerate like you hit a wall when you lift your hands off of the Throttle/Boost controls. (Unless you are actually hitting a wall or other solid object.)

Reversible propellers. Using the Shift key should not make your rear facing propeller Stop you. Even if we have to set them as such in the UI.

Autominers for Geocorp, these guys should know how to dig up resources by now.

The ability to turn on and off the Range indicators of various "Field Effector" blocks even when placed.

Allow all silos to be set as "Programable" filters.

The ability to invert Filters.

Basic Factory/crafting blocks should be available to all factions. No skin swaps, or specialization, just hit the "Factory/Base button and they are there with out having to switch factions.

These are, the Conveyor pieces, Filter, three way switch, refinery, Silos and Component factories.

A Smaller/Shorter version of the Sky anchor. one that can be held up to 5 AP off the ground. Because most of us are tired of losing anchors to basic travel.

Last edited:

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
Jul 4, 2018
The terrain manipulation seen in missions are, for basically the entire thing, manually designed. To implement caves using this method, they would need to model caves completely, meaning there would be no diversity. It would also be basically impossible given that the game is being developed by a pretty small team. Having the devs implement caves this way would take much longer than just remaking the game from nothing in order to include procedural generation of the caves as well.

Reactions: burger1113