Progression Lock at Minefield Mission - Instadeath Respawn

Rafs

Director-General of GreenTech
I had a cascade of issues with the mission where you have to fly a plane over the minefield.

1. Decided to use a high flying hover tech, because it's my main tech, which uses HE Fortress hovers, they stay very far from the ground. This was a intuitive decision any player could take. Hovers shouldn't trigger land mines.

2. Got instakilled when I entered the mission area, my tech simply blew up. Ok- the devs made a very cheap deathbox here, they shouldn't but they did. And it's freaking tall. So the player gets heavily punished for intuitively playing a sandbox physics game. Ok.

3.The worst of it, it decided to respawn me INSIDE THE MINEFIELD. INSIDE THE INSTADEATH BOX. And not only once, but three times over, until it randomly decided to drop me down by the edge of the crater.

I can't believe this wasn't tested before. Like, just die. See what happens.
And didn't anyone die on this mission yet? This seems under-reported. But happened consistently.

My bug-fixing suggestion: add a respawn-lock in the deathbox, in the crater.

And pro-game design suggestion: lower the deathbox height to allow at least high hovers, some people like to use them, you can't shove a plane down the throat of the players. "But the fun of the mission is planes, the player doesn't know what is fun" No, they do. It's fun when you do what you feel like, within the restraints of intuitive rules. The more a player can play intuitively, can experiment, can try, the more fun it is, specially in a construction game.
Think of the Set-Piece as a big sandbox, not a cage. Let's keep that in mind for future missions.

That's it :)

HeX

TerraTech Modder Manager
The mission requires you to buy a bomber plane for a reason...

Rafs

I am aware of that, as I said in my first post.
Your response ending in a "..." sounds very condescending, I'd advise keeping seriousness in my threads, if you're mature enough for that.

It's to be expected that a creative player could try to use a high flying hover instead, since in theory a hover wouldn't activate landmines. Also, not everyone likes to control planes, they can be finnicky and too responsive or way little responsive; without first person it's all the more complicated.

Good game design leaves multiple solutions to a problem, if said solutions are intuitive and make sense.
Bad game design forces you through a narrow path, punishing with cheap artificial restraints like a very tall deathbox in this case.

And this doesn't solve the respawn bug. What if you fail the mission with the plane? You'll watch yourself dying a dozen times instantly.

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
It's to be expected that a creative player could try to use a high flying hover instead, since in theory a hover wouldn't activate landmines. Also, not everyone likes to control planes, they can be finnicky and too responsive or way little responsive; without first person it's all the more complicated.
Actually, hovers, as represented in game, would most likely activate landmines in real life. Landmines are triggered when force is exerted on top of them, causing them to explode. Hover pads work by exerting force upon the ground to push the vehicle upwards, therefore, they exert force upon the landmine too. Hover pads cannot function without generating some pressure upon the ground, because as the saying goes, each action has an equal and opposite reaction

BenBacon

Founder Of Bacon, Inc
Explain hoverbug then.
Hoverbug is called hoverbug because it is a bug. In real life setting up a hover pad and an object directly in front of it that is also attached to the hover pad would result in:
1. The mechanism breaks because the force of the pad is stronger than the material holding the object to hover pad
2. The mechanism will be in constant stress as the pad is not strong enough to break the material holding the object to the hover pad

TerraTech has its flaws when it comes to physics and hoverbug is one of them

Rafs

The hoverbug is a bug because it interacts with wheels, not because of how hovers work in the game.

Having modded the game, I know hover code very well. It has a force setting, simple as that (with some damping and other auxiliary options).
It projects a force in a direction, but that force doesn't work like real life physics (which I also know very well having studied engineering), only the hover feels that force, there is no reaction.

You can be sad about the lack of realism, but you cannot deny that this is how it works now, and that's how I expected it to not trigger any landmines.
The physics class you just gave, has been skipped long ago by TerraTech hovers.

This could be "fixed", yeah, but at what cost?

Anyway, discussion is derailing, and no one had a response yet for the respawn bug that can break a save file or severely harm one's funds with constant buy and destruction of techs.

Matt

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Hey,

The respawning in the mission area is a bug that was foreseen and we've taken steps which should avoid that but clearly they aren't working as well as we'd hoped. So we'll take another look at it and hope to have it fixed ASAP.

As for the hovercraft thing, the mines have two steps needed to trigger them, 1. be in the area and 2. be grounded. In the context of TerraTech, the hover tech shouldn't count as grounded but do, hence why they're triggering the mines. Again, we'll take a look to see how we can fix this.

Thanks for the heads up!