Power Creep

Discussion in 'Open' started by Benbacon, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Benbacon

Benbacon Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe TAC Kebab Kingdom IFTTES

Recently, some of the new blocks are great, like VEN jet engines, Big Man Bomb, and GEO Bumpers
    Some have been not so great
    Some examples are the HE SCU and the VEN Rotating Anchor

This either leads to repetiton or power creep, which will ruin the game
    Either make each block have something REALLY special, or just get rid of the duplicates.
    There is no point in using tons of VEN Skirting blocks when you can use one GEO one and cause less lag
    There is no point in using GSO SCU when you can use the HE one
    There is no point in using Avalanches when you can use the GSO missile launcher

Please make all posts in this thread serious, because is this continues, this amazing game being made by great devs and shaped by a great community will be ruined

2. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe IFTTES UESO

Keep in mind that, as an example, Hawkeye blocks are intended to be end game blocks, and so, naturally, should/would be better. Also, the GeoCorp skirting block won't be able to fit in some spaces, and are much more expensive. The GeoCorp one also requires a fabricator which is twice the size of the Venture fabricator.
    As for the GSO missiles, keep in mind that they were only just added, and are likely to be changed slightly.

The devs also want it to be possible to play as any single corporation and be able to do almost all the same things as the other corporations. GeoCorp obviously stands out here, but there is a good reason for that. Each corporation has its own strengths and weaknesses.
    The Venture skirting blocks were probably added for completeness sake, for if people want pure corp techs/bases.

3. MrTwister

MrTwister Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe

You are not quite right here - seemingly duplicated blocks (blocks with the same function) are certainly needed and add a great level of complexity and either/or choices into the game.

Even without touching ease of access/cost into consideration, lets presume you are mostly referring to endgame balance of different blocks

The seemingly useless GSO SCU is the one which activates the fastest, so may be a good choice in many cases, especially when fighting lone techs as opposed to groups and when using precision/melee weapons and not the explosive ones, it is also the cheapest/earliest access.

The Venture SCU is short-range but obvioulsy mobile, the only one non-anchored but opes last.

Hawk SCU is mid-range, medium activation time, added feature of being the toughest so safer to deploy for example in tech defense missions between the wave spawns. Better suited for battle situations and extra range is good, but worse when you are one the run and fighting lone/singular techs compared to GSO. Opens late and is more expensive.

Geocorp is obviously the largest range and very long activation time, very good for stationary applications and/or cleaning up big mess after large battles with many opponents. Mid toughness, mid price, mid-campaign access, large size.

GSO vs Venture avalanche: GSO is much stronger but is also twice the size (so we are really comparing 2x avalanche vs 1 GSO) 2x Avalanche is still considerably worse than 1 GSO, however they are very light and may often be preferred for weight-critical techs with very limited carry capacity like light scouts, helicopters planes and hovertechs. Or simply techs that already have a lot going on for them and are near whee load-limit but want extra weapons/decent anti-air/ good tracking/ side-rear protection.

When you consider weight Avalanche suddenly becomes a lot more attractive with its low per shot damage as a tradeoff.

So the same logic applies to a lot of other equipment and is a great logic to follow in its continued development.

4. Benbacon

Benbacon Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe TAC Kebab Kingdom IFTTES

I find the GEO SCU to be completely useless because it has an obstruction on one side
    Keep in mid that I used those as examples
    And about the missiles, any tech with proper balance will make the avalaches obsolete
    This was just my opinion

5. MrTwister

MrTwister Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe

Obstruction? Don't know what you talking about, I'm using it every day its my 2nd favorite )
    I may have seen a really small part getting stuck on that obstruction maybe once or twice in my entire experience with it.

6. missleMaster1793

missleMaster1793 Well-Known Member

7. {insert_name_here}

{insert_name_here} Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe IFTTES

8. missleMaster1793

missleMaster1793 Well-Known Member

They were both here at the same time.

9. JimmyBlether

JimmyBlether Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe Silver Fleet Systems IFTTES

Very good explanations @MrTwister, very good. I like the bit about the SCU quite a bit.

This thread is pretty interesting and does talk about an important subject but I have a question: How are we meant to use skirting blocks? I just see them as blocks without APs for flat sides of things. They are meant to be for bases and I see them as if they should be able to clip through the ground to make bases more realistic.

10. Cloud

Cloud Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe

I think the skirting blocks are used like so:
    If you have a fixed anchored base, the walls and ETC are COVERED in attachment points. The skirting blocks are armored and remove the ugly APs. So, they make the base less ugly, and armor it. Skirting blocks. Quite possibly one of my favorite additions, since my bases have been destroyed too many times because low health blocks. But skirting blocks. Skirting blocks.

Lord Zarnox and Legionite like this.
  11. JimmyBlether

OK. I just use the actual armor blocks for base sides.

12. Pink Kitty

Pink Kitty Well-Known Member Beta Deluxe

The point is, that the skirting blocks penetrate the ground, allowing you to close the gaps.
    So, armour, and it keeps the little techs out of your base.

Or at least they would have, if the skirt blocks hadn't bugged out.

13. JimmyBlether

I'll try and get them to do that, because last time they refused to do so.

14. Pink Kitty

Did you not read? They are bugged.

15. JimmyBlether

*slaps head for being stupid and blind*

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  16. Pink Kitty

And now fixed. Supposedly.

JimmyBlether likes this.
  17. JimmyBlether

Tried it last night, and the gso ones work, still need to try others (if gso's works, the rest should).