Possible Biomes

Geocorp Jumper

Maybe these biomes would be fun in this rapidly growing game.
  • Ocean: probably not too deep, with the occasional island (of course the altitude may need a quick adjustment to ensure that the world isn't flooded). Most techs would sink and drive on the sea floor. Hovers and any tech designed to float would sit up top the surface. Certain weapons would not function properly under the water.
  • Lava: Ok, relax, it's not all lava. There would be a blackened earth with occasional lava puddles or streams, maybe a small volcano to go with it all.
  • Jungle: Thick trees limit movement, but offer great source of wood and cover.
  • Geysers: Lots of steam vents for geothermal power, and occasional massive geysers to provide an amazing spectacle.
  • Canyons: Whatch your step! You may want a bridge or two. Occasional large cracks in the ground large techs can get stuck on and small techs can get trapped in. Otherwise fairly level.
  • Open Plain: Finally some open space! There aren't too many resources in sight, though...
I doubt half of these would ever be considered, but even just one or two would add an even greater variety to the world we love to explore.

GamerParrish

Maybe these biomes would be fun in this rapidly growing game.
  • Ocean: probably not too deep, with the occasional island (of course the altitude may need a quick adjustment to ensure that the world isn't flooded). Most techs would sink and drive on the sea floor. Hovers and any tech designed to float would sit up top the surface. Certain weapons would not function properly under the water.
  • Lava: Ok, relax, it's not all lava. There would be a blackened earth with occasional lava puddles or streams, maybe a small volcano to go with it all.
  • Jungle: Thick trees limit movement, but offer great source of wood and cover.
  • Geysers: Lots of steam vents for geothermal power, and occasional massive geysers to provide an amazing spectacle.
  • Canyons: Whatch your step! You may want a bridge or two. Occasional large cracks in the ground large techs can get stuck on and small techs can get trapped in. Otherwise fairly level.
  • Open Plain: Finally some open space! There aren't too many resources in sight, though...
I doubt half of these would ever be considered, but even just one or two would add an even greater variety to the world we love to explore.
Well, it would be cool, but the bad thing is that this probably wont happen for a long time. This is a lot and believe it or not. Devs might already be working on water... But it's really hard to code that because of the transparent and ghost mode that would have to force up with certain blocks.

Geocorp Jumper

Yeah, water alone would be a huge task. I guess these suggestions are a little premature.:(

The world already has some great variety to enjoy in the time being, though.:)

P

Pink Kitty

Lava could be doable as really destructive ground.
doesn't have to flow, just fry anything that touches it.
And glow.

Well, the canyons biome could finally be a proper biome variant to the salt flats, with thin, jagged, deep cracks zigzagging through the earth.

The geyser biome also sounds doable and would work as a second variant to the salt flats.

Open Plain - basically the salt flats with a few tiny hills. I don't think we need it.

Lava/volcanic biome... might be hard to implement but sounds cool.

A jungle is a fun idea, in my opinion.

Oceans have been suggested by dozens of different people. Yes, it would be awesome if it was implemented, but it's such a nightmare to code that it will probably only come after 1.0 (if ever).

Sozin

Dog Emperor
Lava biome: just take pillars biome, remove pillars, add some glowing orange cracks.
Lots of geothermal stuff.
As for volcano: you could just leave it with a lava animation and have it unanchorable

Legionite

LegionKnight
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Lava: Ok, relax, it's not all lava. There would be a blackened earth with occasional lava puddles or streams, maybe a small volcano to go with it all.
Canyons: Whatch your step! You may want a bridge or two. Occasional large cracks in the ground large techs can get stuck on and small techs can get trapped in. Otherwise fairly level.
I thought that a hybrid of these two would be cool (if it is possible):
Because people would commonly get stuck in the canyons biome, why not have another variant of it called the
Lava Rivers/Ravines biome, that has steep cliffs that drop far to lava rivers below.

The gaps could be crossed by only the largest Techs, as the smaller Techs would have to use the land bridges to get across.

Seeing the dark red cracked ground and driving over land bridges that hang over lava rivers would look awesome with ambient lighting! (inspired by a lava part in Star Wars)

The land bridges could be attacked to prevent enemies from crossing them, and they re-spawn after some time.
The land bridges would also spawn to connect the plateaus together.
At least one land bridge will link the gap between sides divided by the lava ravines.

The lava would burn any Tech part it touches and turns it to "red" immediately.

sounds like mountains, only not red.
The texture map or pattern for the mountains would be a lot different.
Craters can be small or large, shallow or deep and they can overlap one another.
Among the craters there is pitting - very small craters.
When driving the dust surface should provide a certain amount of side to side drifting unlike a more solid surface such as the salt flats.

Sozin

Dog Emperor
And up close, there's not a lot of difference.
Depends on how the devs want to simulate craters. If they want to go with hyper accurate it would look something like mountains, only different colors

If they want to go cool looking - they'd just scatter around a couple large craters here and there, maybe some overlap, maybe a tiny mini crater inside of a large one somewhere, but otherwise relatively normal (flat-ish, non-mountain) terrain.

I think the key element with the cratered moon biome is meteor strikes.
Nothing like a meteor every 40-90 seconds to spice up life.

Difference between mountains and craters that may not have noticed is that :
  • the mountains form a circle
  • Sometimes the sides of the crater lead up to the continuous flat lands ie. sided mountains while other crates are smaller and have a two sided lip.
  • craters show signs of impact damage
Payload Studios have already done small craters in the game - at the very beginning you collect your initial tech from craters. Should be very simple for them to make craters of random radii as they already know how to do them.

I think the cratered moon biome with meteors raining down presents a constant danger. There should be a few good unusual few rewards to reward players for traversing this biome.

P

Pink Kitty

If you look at the existing red mountains from above, they ARE craters.

Kind square looking, but very crater-like.

Additionally, the new ice biome gives us a look at what it would be like with loads of them close together.

TBH, not sure how
A: they'd be different enough to matter,
B: how you'd explain a chunk of cratered moon in the middle of forest/grass/desert etc.

I mean, the saltflats are almost always surrounded by hills. So that's close.
The ice biome is very much like a lot of craters.
And we have the mountains, and terraces.

I like the idea of new biomes, and i know a few of us are hanging out for the crystal biome:

But i think we need a few more 'wow' biomes:
https://forum.terratechgame.com/ind...-the-pillars-biome-spoilers.11346/#post-70026

before we look to what amount to grey deserts.
That having been said, i'd like it if the mountains were grey, which would be very close to what you want.

Legionite

LegionKnight
Website
forum.terratechgame.com
Looking at the Crystal Biome and at the idea of the moon's surface, combining it to create another biome or idea, if not a more specific look at a possible Crystal Biome:

How I imagine the Crystal Biome:

I imagine it to be a contoured white-ish landscape with many different colorful crystals scattered about.
The landscape is strange, as it turns pink on sunrise and purple at sunset. It looks very reflective of the sun's light, and it lights up like snow to light.

The sky is a mysterious pinkish-red-white mix during daytime, and has "northern lights" at nighttime.

All of them glow at night:
Redish-Pink crystals are the largest of them all, and have an unlimited supply of special new crystals (mined at a specific point on the base) that can be used in a furnace for significant power.
Erudite, Celestite, and Ignite all can be acquired here, and they glow in this biome! They are thinly spread out, and they usually accompany the large Redish-Pink crystals.
Tiny patches of purple crystals are found lying about, but they are only ground decorations the size of the "Laser Shooting Shrubs" (they are shaped like a polished diamond).

No rocks are found here, and Erudite, Celestite, and Ignite don't have rock bases, nor do they leave any rock residue behind when destroyed.

Given that some crystals are floating, and the idea of the moon, the gravity is less than usual here, as the Tech will only be affected by 2/3s gravity, allowing the big scary enemy Techs to roam freely on the lightly hilled landscape, giving a reason to not build a base in this resourceful place.

(PS: The concept GSO cab[the thing that has a "3" on it as well as an antenna] in the picture above looks like it could actually become a "submarine command pod" that is placed on the top of a submarine Tech, should oceans ever become a reality in Terra Tech)

Last edited:
The main point of the crater biome is having meteors.
How can it be explained? Well how do you explain a resource refinery falling out the sky?
My guess is coding. :p