[Poll] Do We need better mining tools for techs?

Do you think we need improved mining tools? If so, what about these ideas?

• Total voters
P

Pink Kitty

So, this is a poll to collect ideas about the mining tools we put on our techs.

A few of us think they could use some work.
This is to find out how important this is to everyone.

Super important?
Totally irrelevant?
Let's find out.

For me, the issue is that a lot of rocks are so low to the ground, that if you mount your drills and weapons low enough to get them, you immediately get stuck on every bump and groove.

Vote, and comment below if you have ideas.

Reactions: zanzistar

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
Hammer is difficult to effectively use in a build, so I think they should change it to be straight instead of the awkward angle it has.

An angled mining laser could be useful for techs traveling in the mountains.

Cheese Grater plate... Interesting idea. For some reason I feel like it would be better for venture, though. I think it would be cool if they had some melee weapons.

Reactions: zanzistar

Masakari

Nov 2, 2016
I picked 2, 3, and 7 as I'm not sure what issue 4 has, how 5 would work without a total redo of the rocks, and 6 as I don't know what tool we could need.

2) As for this one, an angled laser would help a lot if we kept the current version like you suggested in the thread that spawned this one I'm guessing. A hammer styled laser would work well at a 45 or 30 angle as you suggested since it has that long reach.

3) This would be nice once we get the key-bind and control overhaul as I don't like alpha striking to mine if I don't have to (clearing out rocks that I got stuck on or are blocking (trees) me). Or they had the target tracking functionality weapons have but for rocks also. This could cause issues if the tracking for tools prioritizes rocks while in combat. But who fights around rocks right?:rolleyes:

7) This one I picked because the tools to me work fine right now for the most part. Same with the rocks other than issues with seams/nodes not always working or them spawning on hillsides or getting stuck on (either the rock itself or the rubble, which I gather is part of the 'fix the rocks' if 'm reading into your issue right).

P

Pink Kitty

Well, 'fix the rocks' showed up in another thread, where someone suggested tinkering with the rocks to stop them being flat on the ground.

So they all stick up, like saltflats rocks.

Reactions: doctor bond

doctor bond

Feb 14, 2015
Agree on the Articulated Drills, Angled Plasma Cutters and Straight Jack Hammers.
The current tools basically don't work right.
Techs designed for mining shouldn't constantly have to reposition to mine, or worse - get stuck on the stuff they're mining!
Especially with the refocused emphasis on mining (buying stuff sucks now thanks to inventory limits) this is important!

Reactions: Pink Kitty
P

Pink Kitty

Totes!

I like the Cerb bore, i just can't use it in mountains.
Which is where GC are supposed to hang out.

And even the diamond drill has the same probs.
You have to hang it super low to get the flat rocks.

Which means that they get stuck.

And if the Hammer was longer, and had AP's on the back and or side it would work better.
Or a straight one.

streak1

Aug 30, 2015
steamcommunity.com
And even the diamond drill has the same probs.
You have to hang it super low to get the flat rocks.
I haven't had many issues with the diamond drill myself. At least, when I use it the way I figure it is intended to be used.

Seems to me that the diamond drill is designed to be used for early game Geocorp techs, ones that are small and don't have many wheels. With those, I think the drills work pretty well, since the small techs are low already.

Not so much for the cerberus bore, though.

P

Pink Kitty

One way i use (which looks pretty weird) drills and lasers, is up high, at the front, ponting down.

That way, the lowest point is the actual grinding head.
Mounting is a pain, and it looks weird, but it works well.

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
What about a grinder wheel that can crush resource rock as you drive over them allowing you to pick up the goodies as you pass by.
I suggested this along time ago and I still think it could be useful for the Geocorp. It seems like it would be a perfect fit for them.
http://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/geocorp-grinder-wheel-suggestion.2513/
This is the little video of the original suggestion. My 3d modelling may not be the best, but it should serve it's purpose.

Have a good one [8D)

Reactions: MrMax333
P

Pink Kitty

I think at some stage the metal wheels will get soemthing like that.

Which would make up for their horrible slowness, i guess.

FoxnEagle

Mar 20, 2015
Some cool ideas in this thread.

Articulated Drills, Angled Plasma Cutters and Straight Jack Hammers all sound Great. They are also all things that Design and Art could do without distracting Code from the bigger features they are working on.

@Jason Howard should we do some new GC Tools?
Now if we COULD distract a little bit of code from the bigger features, I would love to see:
1. A short range TNT launcher for GeoCorp.
2. Have the scoops actually scoop resources (could both damage resources and scoop them up)
3. Change the hammer to swing in a 180 degree arc instead of up and down at an angle. The hammer would have a certain amount of force that it would push down, if the tech is too light it will be pushed up. (Would also make for some fun jumping light vehicles :D )

P

Pink Kitty

I campaigned for a Seismic Hammer GC block a while ago. A point-blank range blast-radius weapon good for clearing rocks and trees.

And also, eventually good for dealing with those hard to hit, fragile Venture techs.

no word though.

Reactions: Zargn

Deemedrol

Oct 12, 2016
What I suggest is a complete GeoCorp weapons rebalance:
  • Diamond Drill and Buzz Saw will become Tier 1 weapons, former is for rocks and latter is for trees (obviously).
  • Light Bore will become a Tier 2 all-arounder.
  • Plasma Cutter will be moved to Tier 3, will become "mounted" on a rotating turret and will be given an ability to target rocks in addition to enemies. I think that GeoCorp deserves something that can be used as a turret, because it's kinda stupid to be the slowest faction AND have absolutely zero ranged options. A giant mining laser fits the faction's style and will definitely help them to deal with small but fast enemies - especially since everything faster than a shell-shocked sloth is a "fast enemy" for GeoCorp. Additionally, it will naturally solve the problem when players have difficulties mining rocks, since those rocks will be targeted automatically. Finally targeting algorithm will become good at something - hitting static targets!
  • And finally, Hammer Piston will be re-made into a gigantic nail gun. It will be a big (4Lx2Wx2H) block, it will be fixed, and it will work like a super blunderbuss, shooting dozens of small pellets in a wide arc. Similar to Hawkeye's shotgun but much, much bigger and without any auto-aiming. The reason for that is: GeoCorp vehicles are slow. They don't have speed, they don't have agility. But if something gets too close, this "something" should quickly and deeply regret that. I believe that if GeoCorp vehicle manages to get close enough to fire this baby, it deserves to deal devastating damage in a short amount of time to at least cripple the enemy to make further fighting easier. While drill and plasma cutters kinda fill that role,they are simply too unreliable to use in combat, since catching an enemy to damage it with melee weapons is almost impossible for GeoCorp.

Reactions: Pink Kitty
P

Pink Kitty

Good ideas. I like them. :)

Not sure we're gonna get weapons that target resources though. Might be a bit hard to program.

However, one issue:
I think that GeoCorp deserves something that can be used as a turret, because it's kinda stupid to be the slowest faction AND have absolutely zero ranged options.
Yeah, You're looking at it wrong.
They're not a faction.
They are a company that manufactures equipment, and sells it to people.
There's no actual need to cover all the bases with each corp.

You want guns on GC techs? Put guns on them.
It's not an RTS, where each side has to be balanced against the others.

As long as the gear from each corp isn't utterly useless, there's no problem with it.
As GSO are supposed to be kinda naff.

Reactions: Jamie