PLEASE! Turn off AI for block positions, it just make everythign much worse.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Could you expand by giving example on what the AI for block positions does? And what you want it to do?

If it was about turrets and trying to build on them while they're turning around all the time, I concur. It is slightly diffucilt.

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Could you expand by giving example on what the AI for block positions does? And what you want it to do?

If it was about turrets and trying to build on them while they're turning around all the time, I concur. It is slightly diffucilt.
Turrets are easy, put cab on it, build, taka cab off...
But when you have to position 300 same blocks but every time you are about to place next they reset rotations, and you have to cycle from position one, that is painful, literary, as I got headache from it.

put a cockpit...meh NGreyswandir was faster
Turrets are easy, put cab on it, build, taka cab off...
But when you have to position 300 same blocks but every time you are about to place next they reset rotations, and you have to cycle from position one, that is painful, literary, as I got headache from it.
collecting the blocks with the SCU and then built from inventory. So u have often luck because the inventory sometimes remeber how you rotate the last block.

Right, got what you mean now. Apparently it can get to the same orientation if you move the block around a bit. It's not great, but it will save a few thousand cycles. I hope they redo the rotation and AP connection tools, such that it is easier to get the correct rotation, especially with the items that have a lot of AP.

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
Issue I have now is that block is rotating three times trough same positions and on fourth rotation it get to position that I am looking for. And I have to say that AI is actually very good for small and medium builds. As you said with small movements around connecting point it get to correct position, but I am megalomaniac and AI is now slowly becoming burden instead of help. So this On/Off switch, or rotation lock key would be GREAT!

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Website
AI for block rotation. Not enemy AI. You have to have som algorithms behind decisions how to orient blocks, that programming is mini AI, as it gather data about surrounding of block that hold in the air or next to other blocks and then make decision how to orient it. This one is very smart on small tech but becomes toooo smart on huge tech.

Website
github.com
AI for block rotation.
You have to have some algorithms behind decisions how to orient blocks
That programming is mini AI, as it gathers data about the surrounding of the block that is held in the air next to other blocks and then makes a decision of how to orient it.
This one is very smart on small tech but becomes toooo smart on huge tech.
Not exactly what I imagined you meant as AI, as this is not exactly what I would consider as artificial intelligence. Algorithm? Yes, most likely. About it being smart about block rotation? I'd have to disagree. It doesn't decide exactly what orientation to put blocks, but rather follows a list of possible rotations (what I'm led to believe) and skips over the impossible ones. Noticed how you can't move blocks a certain direction (Example, wings and wing flaps) dependent on which is the front of your tech? Also, how does it become TOO smart, other than it taking a longer time to process all possible attachment positions?

Chrii_the_Vieh

I have to agree here, the algorythm which trys to place the block in the right direction for you is causing a lot of anger with me too, while building.
Example: Just try to lead a conveyorline to directly bypass a silo (hence using filters in contact with the silo) the directions which are choosen by default from the game are... terrible.
DefaultPos1.png
DefaultPos2.png
I think it would be much better, if the block is not influenced by blocks close by. It should just be influenced by one attachmentpoint (the one which it will attach to).

@Chrii_the_Vieh You don't have to use filters, just turn the conveyors going by that silo like the second filter is (going by conveyor direction). That should allow you to bypass the silo without expensive filters.

But it is a problem with the rotation and placement overall, and the problem becomes more evident with large blocks with many APs. You suddenly need to press rotate forwards or backwards for a minute...