Please let us have low-level techs of all corps!

Sapioit

Nov 1, 2019
sapioit.com
Hi!

My suggestion is making the unlocking-mission of each corps (aside from GSO one) be triggered by reaching level 2 with the previously-unlocked corp. That way, we will once again be able to enjoy fighting small weak techs with our small weak tech. Having to fight Better Future and Hawkeye techs without mega-cannons would be more enjoyable, in my opinion, since it was confirmed that we will not have a difficulty setting for the foreseeable future. And if we really want to unlock higher level blocks, we can simply do missions before unlocking the next corp, or until we can complete the corp-unlocking mission of the next corporation.

Fighting hawkeye or better future is not much of an issue, since by the time you get them unlocked you most likely have lots of batteries and powerful long-range (or very-long-range) weapons available, optionally even flying techs available to attack from the enemies' blind spots. This removes the challenge which makes those quests fun to complete.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

Geocorp Jumper

May 24, 2016
Honestly, corp-unlock missions are a bit of an issue just because of tier-matching. Ideally, GSO=VEN=GEO=HE=BF=RR on any one license grade (this isn't exactly the case but it is ideal). So if you unlock HE grade 1 at GSO grade 4, at the worst you fight your first HE grade 1 enemies with GSO grade 3 blocks. Not exactly balanced and not exactly a challenge. Then again, HE grade 1 is pretty close to GSO grade 3 from just a combat standpoint, so I guess the balancing argument only applies when all concepts are considered (i.e. resource collection, movement, flight, weight, energy etc.)

If the devs still plan on adding Legion and Space Junkers corps, they will either need to add 2 more GSO license grades (to keep the current system) or will have to do exactly what you suggest: unlock the next corp at the previous corp's grade 2 license.

Another idea (as the other corps are expanded to grade 5 licenses) would be to aggressively match tech grades when spawning enemies, in or out of missions. Then, to prevent players from getting blocks out of their license grade, program any loose block above the player's license grade (grade 1 excepted) to self destruct, or prevent the player from attaching it to any of their techs until they unlock the appropriate license grade.

Reactions: Sapioit

Sapioit

Nov 1, 2019
sapioit.com
Then, to prevent players from getting blocks out of their license grade, program any loose block above the player's license grade (grade 1 excepted) to self destruct, or prevent the player from attaching it to any of their techs until they unlock the appropriate license grade.
This is a bad idea, because of how frustrating it is to carefully fight an enemy trying to not destroy certain blocks, only for those blocks to be destroyed anyway. It would also not work well with multiplayer, since even if some low-levels cannot destroy higher-grade techs, they can still loot blocks from higher-grade enemies' battles, and the alternative is making techs drop higher-grade blocks but not players not being able to pick them up, which is also frustrating, and even more so since they could block something else from being accessed.

Enemy Matching will be a good thing to have, since it will work even in multiplayer, but I think that big techs should not try to attack tiny techs, just like how tiny techs sometimes don't try to attack big techs the player uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: harpo99999