Planes, Flight and the Game Controls

lalarama

Dec 18, 2014
Ahoi everyone :)
I just got the new 0.3.6 update and gave the flying challenge a try to test out the new propeller.
It looks realy cool but to be honest: i can't actually fly anything realy planelike because of the steering controls.

When i accelerate with the forward key, my plane "drives" fast but won't get of the ground as the rudders point downwards and keep pressing it onto the ground. When i press backwards to make the rudders go up for a lift- off, the propellers/turbines decellerate and i can't get off the ground. Currently the only way for me is to use a rocketbooster to accelerate with shift and no propellers/turbines at all. That way gliding for some time is possible. Am i doing something wrong there? Is there perhaps a way to invert the up/down steering for flight? That way, accelerate /up would be forward and decellerate /down would be backward and flight would be a bit like with those simple childrens planes that have no rudder for up/down which only use the planes speed/motors to gain height.

What are your experiences with planes in Terra Tech so far?
Is there perhaps a good video on building planes?

Rogarfuryfist

Digital Harvester
Aug 13, 2014
You press shift in order to accelerate the props. Pressing forward pushes the nose of the craft down.

lalarama

Dec 18, 2014
Hm i just tried that out:
Shift activates rocket boosts only.
Propellers and Turbines only react to WASD input. W -> nose down/accelerate S-> nose up/decelerate

I tried a very simple plane setup (see the picture).

It has enough propulsion to get it of the ground and no! boosters of any kind.
With this plane the shift key has no use at all and the steering problem described is easy to notice.
Also funny: at a certain height, the turbines/propellers stop working and there is no more thrust to keep one in the air.

Even worse: a plane with wheels.
When trying to get it to speed you press W to accelerate and push the nose down. At the point to get off the ground you press S to lift-off and bang, the brakes make you stand still :cool:

Last edited:

Rogarfuryfist

Digital Harvester
Aug 13, 2014
The shift key is used to power the rockets on and off ground. It is also used to power the propellers after liftoff. So, as soon as your vehicle leaves the ground, you have to switch from W to shift for power.

Reactions: cupid_the_conqueror