Pistons & Springs (VERY, VERY OLD THREAD)

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by WhitePaw2002, Jan 8, 2016.

?

Which seems more reasonable to add to the game?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2018.
  1. The Piston

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. The Springs

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Both

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Neither

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WhitePaw2002

WhitePaw2002 Modding Husky

Before you completely throw this out of your consideration, I would like to at least give you a central idea. Basically, my suggestion is to add stiff moving parts to the game. Both with the ability to expand and retract (To your own custom limit, if you do take in the idea).

The first thing that I will stare off with is with the piston. I planned it to retract to the size of one unit, and to be able to expand as well as retract with the push of a certain button. Like the AI module, if right clicked, it will open a small set of options. These (might) include the speed, delay, toggle, idle position, etc... It should probably have an extra function of copying a pistol layout and pasting for the very complicated builds. Of course, while in BUILD MODE, it should always retract to it's idle state. When connecting parts to the head of the piston, the blocks probably shouldn't have the capability of connecting to others which aren't already somehow connected to the head. (probably should also resist making blocks phase through each other, as well.)

One more thing, I DID make this picture as a representation of what it might look like.
    TerraTechPiston.png

Springs might act quite similarly to the piston. When right-clicked, it will open another menu of options, listing things such as strength, idle position (the position it will always pull/push towards), possibly another function button for strength and/or position, toggle if the behind follows, etc... The springs should always retract to their idle position whenever entering BUILD mode, no block phasing, and should only move in the relative X, Y, or Z position to the mechanism, just like the piston. Again, these are bot just ideas which I think will somehow find a place into the game, it is completely up to you if you want to ever do this.

I didn't yet finish the digital version of the springs, so this is the sketch of it. (please don't judge the quality) TerraTechSpring.png

2. Sir Metaladon

Sir Metaladon Well-Known Member

How would you CODE this tho? This is why the devs are against using things that connect blocks to other blocks that can change, because Unity (the engine that TT runs on) really doesn't like hinges/pistons, so this will (probably) forever remain an idea, not a reality.
    Sorry :(

3. WhitePaw2002

Well, I am more fond with Javascript, but I think that at least for the springs,it might not be that different from the hover pads. Just, basically maybe more stable and as if over a block? Isn't there usually math equations that is done with these types of things in code? I just hope that somehow it does find a way into the game, at least one of the two. Besides: Nothing is impossible.

4. streak1

streak1 Well-Known Member

Well, for the springs, the devs are kinda against the idea of a suspension block. They would rather make wheels more springy than add a block to make things springy.

As for the pistons, I second what Metaladon said. Sure, anything is possible, but the devs have said time and time again that such ideas would be a huge pain to implement in the game. Not a "no" really, but a "probably not". It's out of the scope of the game right now, too much work.

If either were added, it wouldn't be for a long, long time. A post-beta implementation, if implemented at all.

5. Dellamorte

Dellamorte Well-Known Member

Tech form one rigid object, to change this would require a major rewrite of the game engine.

6. WhitePaw2002

What if the parts of the vehicle connected to these extensions are considered as a unit that can join multiple? That could reduce coding problems. Yeah, it will still be rather difficult to code, but now we have something to start off with.

7. Sir Metaladon

Sir Metaladon Well-Known Member

To quote what Streak1 said:
    They just don't have the TIME to do this, tho they would love to......
    ROBOCRAFT had and has the same problem, where they would have loved to make hinges and rotors and pistons, but Unity is a really bad choice for focusing on that, so in the end it never happened (tho in ROBOCRAFT's case, the devs said the they might give it a shot again with the recent Unity update)

8. stellatedHexahedron

stellatedHexahedron Well-Known Member

If that were true, then rotating anchors wouldn't be a thing.
    EDIT: never mind, I was wrong about this bit.

While I like the piston idea, and I know it's possible (see: Besiege, a Unity game with some stuff in common with TerraTech but which is nothing BUT pistons and springs), I think what experienced members are saying about it not happening for a LONG time makes sense. And, if it does happen, I think because of TerraTech's (for lack of a better phrase) game-mechanical "aesthetic", they're going to be simple toggles, and springs are pretty much right out.

#8 stellatedHexahedron, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  9. streak1

Rotating anchors are more akin to sticky wheels than this. Rotating anchors simply attach to the ground, which is completely different than attaching to a tech, which can move. The ground isn't really an object in the same sense that techs are, so attaching to it is a lot more simple to do. Unlike a tech, the ground will never move under any circumstances.

And I don't know a whole lot about Besiege's development, but I am sure that they have had to put in a ton of effort to get their physics to work. Not to mention, with how the different areas in the game are set in a big grey plain of nothing, there is a lot less to load, which means there is a lot more memory available to use and a lot less work needed to optimize it. While they are both modular building games, they are very different in every other aspect.

10. stellatedHexahedron

OK, but, even if this is true (I'm not sure it is), it doesn't change the fact it proves that tech don't form a single rigid object. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Venture propellers also have a rotating separate collision box.

Oh, yeah, totally. Besiege was just to show that it was possible, not that it was easy or even practical in TT. In fact, Besiege's pistons are pretty bad examples, since they're on springs and compress under pressure, whereas I imagine TT's hypothetical pistons would be more like a transformation from a rigid 1x1x1 to a rigid 1x1x2.

11. harpo99999

harpo99999 ah kick till it starts

the venture propellers have a SQUARE (3 wide x 3 high x 1 deep)hitbox that encloses the blades( it can bee seen when placing the propeller on a tech)

12. Dellamorte

The Venture propeller is a terminating block, you can not attach anything else to it. Any blocks that move (like the scoops) can only be attached on one end so no hinges etc.

13. stellatedHexahedron

Still leaves the anchors tho!

14. Dellamorte

They will not work mounted on Techs for exactly the same reasons so no it does not leave them.

15. stellatedHexahedron

The same reason as what? Are anchored things not "techs" or something?

16. Dellamorte

I mean the rotating anchor can not be put on a Tech and have other blocks attached to it.

17. streak1

I don't see how it proves anything. I mean, under this logic, unless I just don't get it, this would also apply to wheels, or any other form of movement for that matter.

A rigid object simply means that parts on a tech cannot move relative to other parts on the tech. An anchored tech can move relative to the ground, but so does every other tech. It doesn't mean anything as far as the term is concerned.

18. stellatedHexahedron

...oh. It seems we have all been the victims of my profoundly embarrassing ignorance of how rotating anchors work. I'm so sorry. >_<

19. WhitePaw2002

You know, it actually appears that the functions that I thought might be appropriate for this unit is quite closely related to the springs in Scrap Mechanic. However, I am not certain if it uses the same engine for the game...

20. WhitePaw2002

( > 2 year thread necro because i'm tired as heck)

OH LORD WAS THAT REALLY ME?!?
    ... past me is weird

Welp, time to make a configurable piston block using that exact concept art because i feel bad for myself.
    Maybe I should've made a new thread and hid this one in the darkness for the rest of time...

AstraTheDragon and Galrex like this.