Performance Issues; Any tips beyond the obvious?

DeviantX

I have a laptop that I can play Fallout 4 on (barely), but I can't even play TT in a new campaign on the lowest settings for some reason.. I have a nice Desktop PC that I use too, but I should be able to run it on my laptop..

I'm no novice to computers, so are there any other things I can tweak beyond the obvious settings? Such as tweaking a file? Can I force it to run in Dx9? Disable or mod in a different shader? Lower the accuracy of the physics? ( I understand if I do any of these things I won't be able to report bugs or receive support.)

Just curious. Thanks for reading.

Laptop Specs -
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6520G
Processor: AMD A6-3400M APU Quad- Core 1.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM

Zed

Hello,

In order to diagnose the problems your laptop is having while running TerraTech Additional spec are needed; specifically the OS (32 bit OS-es are as of 0.7.6 stable are still insufficiently optimized to run).

Aside from this, if the laptop generates an output_log.txt in Terratech Data subfolder uploading that file would be of significant help.

Regarding dx9 vs dx11, Terratech claims to be dx9 compatible but as of yet I have not tested that for myself.

As for other specs involved while the CPU is sluggish for Unity based programs such as terratech that would "merely" cause low framerates during play (Suggest 1024x600@Simplest for the laptop presuming it is a widescreen) but If you are unable to get to the mainscreen of terratech (where techs are fighting and players are able to select game mode) then it is most likely because of the 4gb of RAM... Terratech itself requires 3Gb to start and I have seen Terratech 64 bit claim as much as 7gb for itself....

Presuming that the laptop in question is running win 7 64 bit in order to run Terratech effectively with all of the update patches to win 7 64 bit I would strongly suggest upgrading its system memory to at least 8gb. Even then the 1.4 Ghz cpu will not provide stellar performance within Terratech under any circumstances.

DeviantX

Yeah it's 64bit and on the lowest settings, I can always throw in some cheap ram, never had to before so I haven't, I might even have another 4gb stick laying around that's compatible lol. Thanks for the responses, I'll toy around with it some more later. I'll see if I can get that log file posted, I'm going to bed for now :D

P

Pink Kitty

Basically, you are below spec across the board.

TT has two major lag points: Graphics and physics.
If you GPU is below par (like this one) then you can get some FPS back by dropping the quality, and the resolution.

However, your CPU also seems to be below spec.
Which means as soon as you hit a bit unit, big enemy, or big base, it's all going to turn to custard.
and there is very little you can do, other than drive a tiny vehicle, and hope that only tiny enemies spawn.

Things tend to slowly pick up as they optimise stuff, then drop off as they find new things to spend the FPS on :p

Sharra

The main issue, when it comes to laptops, is, that the graphics-units mostly have no dedicated memory for themselves. They use system memory, and that is MUCH slower than GDDR-RAM on a dedicated graphics-board.
So, take the very same chip on a laptop, and on a desktop, and you will end with ~20 - ~30% less performance, even less, when the system goes hot, and the system throttles. Thats also an issue with the CPU by the way.
And when it comes to laptops, the GPU (if not integrated in the CPU) is the same generation, as the desktop-modells are, but different in design. They dont have the same power overall.

So, back to your problem.
I know Fallout 4 very well. And yes there is a ton of tweaks possible. The default settings are, as always by Bethesda, total crap. You can run FO4 on a decent 4-Core CPU with a 8 year old GPU just fine in 720p.
So, dont make the mistake, to make FO4 your base for comparison to other games.
Bethesda screwed the default settings up so hard, while its a game from 4-5 years ago.