People’s Print Challenge 2: Wheeled Warriors

GibbonAndy

Apr 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
www.whisperinggibbon.com
Hello Hello Hello!
Following our last competition – we’re running another design competition - you could win a 3D print of your winning entry, and be the envy of all your fellow TerraTech players!

To make it even more interesting – we’ll be printing this on one of the world’s newest and most advanced industrial 3D printers in full colour plastic! To give you an idea how excellent these prints look, here’s one we made earlier:

How can you win?
For this competition – we want to see masters of the land, so, like the noble penguin, no flight blocks on these techs!
[ If you’re not sure, double check the flight blocks on the wiki here: http://terratech.gamepedia.com/Block ]

Design your tech and use the GrabIt! Functionality in game to capture it and upload it!
We’re running a size challenge – so you need to be looking at a maximum size of 5.2cm x 5.2cm x 5.2cm (or 2 inches x 2 inches x 2 inches for you non-metric folk) in GrabIt.

Since that's been confusing a few people: it’s ok for that to be either 10x10x10 standard blocks in medium scale or 5x5x5 standard blocks large scale, so long as one of them is under the maximum sizes!
Don't assume more blocks = more chance to win too! ;) If you've made something amazing in 5x5x5, it will beat something weak at 10x10x10.

Then when you’ve done that, reply with a link to your GrabIt! upload here in this topic.

At midnight (UK time) on Wednesday 14th June, entries will close. We’ll judge the best entry, announce the results, and we will get it 3D printed for the winner! Shortly after, that lucky, lucky winner will receive a print of their Tech!

What’s more!
Because we’re using a brand new printer, if you want to buy your techs using the shiny new printer we’re working with, we’ll be running this voucher code: TTGRABITCOL for free shipping on full colour plastic prints for the duration of the competition!

To answer some common questions:

You can have up to 3 entries. If you upload more, only the first three you have posted in this thread will be accepted – so delete or edit away the old entry if you want to submit a different entry!
Entries are open worldwide.
Due to the nature of 3D printed models, there may be small parts. That does mean if you’re under 10, you can only enter with a parent/guardian’s permission.

Last edited:

GibbonAndy

Apr 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
www.whisperinggibbon.com
Cool,
But first repair grabit so it show who uploaded models. I uploaded some models and they where under anonimus even if I was logged in Grabit.
That's really odd. If you can email me at support@whisperinggibbon.com with your Grabit username and a link to one of the grabs you couldn't claim, I'll look into it straight away

If anyone else is experiencing that one - again, drop me a line at that email address and I'll look into it directly for you!

And second please put measures in blocks not in cm/inch.
Sorry about that but that was actually a conscious choice on our part!
With this competition, we wanted to give people a bit of flexibility in terms of block budgets and sizing, which is why we're allowing the two scales (Large scale for bigger, but less blocks and Medium - smaller blocks, but more fits in the same bounding box!).
We'll revisit that decision for any future People's Print Challenges though!

Last edited:

GibbonAndy

Apr 28, 2016
Newcastle, UK
www.whisperinggibbon.com
Ok, we get the message about centimeter sizings. :)

The GSO Cab (or a standard block) is 5mm at Medium scale, 10mm at Large scale.

So you have up to 10x10x10 standard blocks to play with for a Medium scale print, or 5x5x5 standard blocks at a Large scale print.

We're looking for quality designs though - so making a really awesome 5x5x5 block Wheeled Warrior is better than something that uses 10x10x10 but looks a bit lame. So don't assume more blocks = better chance to win! ;)

Will update the OP to make things straightforward too.

Gameslinx

Oct 19, 2015
A cab, stranded in deep space
Ok, we get the message about centimeter sizings. :)

The GSO Cab (or a standard block) is 5mm at Medium scale, 10mm at Large scale.

So you have up to 10x10x10 standard blocks to play with for a Medium scale print, or 5x5x5 standard blocks at a Large scale print.

We're looking for quality designs though - so making a really awesome 5x5x5 block Wheeled Warrior is better than something that uses 10x10x10 but looks a bit lame. So don't assume more blocks = better chance to win! ;)

Will update the OP to make things straightforward too.
Thanks, that provides more insight into tech limitations :)

Nightblade Greyswandir

Nothing is good enough!
Feb 3, 2017
Terraland
ngttadventures.blogspot.se
That's really odd. If you can email me at support@whisperinggibbon.com with your Grabit username and a link to one of the grabs you couldn't claim, I'll look into it straight away
Done

Sorry about that but that was actually a conscious choice on our part!
With this competition, we wanted to give people a bit of flexibility in terms of block budgets and sizing, which is why we're allowing the two scales (Large scale for bigger, but less blocks and Medium - smaller blocks, but more fits in the same bounding box!).
We'll revisit that decision for any future People's Print Challenges though!
What I ment is that people need some measures for in game, so if you can give what is the number of blocks for maximal size for large and medium scale. It would be disappointing if there is great tech but it is 2 blocks too long for printing. So not to lost myself in too much explaining... just explanation of sizes (in game size, or scaling) for dummies in first post would be appreciated :)
EDIT... you explained it while I was typing this too long explanation of what you need to explain :D :)

Reactions: GibbonAndy

elfdrow

Mar 31, 2017
quick question:
so spoilers and steering blocks are not allowed since they are considered flight blocks?

FightBiscuit

May 6, 2016
Germany

Persecutor 2 - A design focused Tech with GSO-only Blocks. Is still able to fight small-medium Techs

NanoXplorer 3 - The smallest Tech that can do everything! 10x4x5 Footprint with a SCU, Batteries, a Generator and enough Weapons to deal with way bigger Techs. Uses the best Blocks on the Market and looks good while doing all you can ask for (does not make coffee tho)

Third Tech may be added

EDIT: Grabit Links in just a sec

Last edited: