Parts Storage, Crafting Automation, and Other Suggestions

Admiral Naismith

Jun 20, 2015
So I made a post about the bugs I've encountered - now for some suggestions:

1) Storing parts that I may want to use later is kind of a pain right now - either I attach them into large ugly base structures, or I could put them in silos, but then I get an ugly mash of parts floating around and interfering with each other. I would much rather have some sort of enclosed structure, basically a parts "bank", where you could deposit any parts you didn't want right now, and then withdraw them - using a menu like the payload terminal, with the price being replaced by the quantity of each you have. Or alternatively, something like the delivery cannon to shoot the blocks into space, and then the payload terminal could be used to retrieve them. As long as you still have blocks that you've previously launched, they're free, otherwise you pay for them as usual.

2) I'm guessing that there will be some new base parts to direct the flow of resources better in the future, but it would be nice if it was possible to program a base to behave a certain way - particularly conveyor parts. Also, I would like to be able to have a base auto sort resources by silo or something like that - maybe have a menu for silos to set them to accept certain types of resources, and then bases could have neat organized columns of one resource type per silo instead of some mishmash of random stuff everywhere. Or even better, set any individual part of a base to only move certain resources, so everything gets exactly where it needs to go.

Also, if a base happens to have all the right resources in silos, it would be nice to be able to ask it to mass produce a certain part for which the recipe is known - like if you want to make 20 of the same gun and don't want to manually drag everything around. Maybe a special base AI module could be used to do this?

In addition to this, tractor pads could also use some improvement - maybe the more advanced ones could be set to only grab certain blocks? (like carbius/wood if you're only harvesting for energy). Or attached delivery cannons would only be allowed to launch a certain set of blocks (only refined/non-fuel for example).

3) Right now, the controls don't seem to be very adequate for certain things - for example, firing only some of your guns, or distinguishing between fans/props and boosters on a plane. Ideally, it should be possible to bind any part on a tech to any key for more precise control - I know there will also be more controls for things like shields, but it could be expanded. Or if individual keys don't work so well, then maybe having several groups with different keys into which you can assign weapons could be possible.

4) There doesn't seem to be any way to anchor techs right now - this would be really useful to keep them from drifting away, or to use blocks that must be anchored, like solar generators. Maybe just have some fixed anchors that would anchor/unanchor the tech when a key is pressed?

5) Custom-designed auto turrets attached to techs sound really useful - basically like a sentry turret, but it would be attached to a tech, with the AI only having control of the anchor rotation and everything above it. Also, AI in general could use a shutdown button to keep AI cabs from running off on their own if they are dropped.

6) A map of where you've already been (areas scanned by radar) would be really helpful - otherwise it's easy to get lost or "explore" the same place several times without realizing it.

7) I would really like to have multiple save files - unlimited if possible - I already do that manually by backing up the save file every time I save. Also, not having to quit when saving would be good too. This is especially relevant due to all the bugs that are coming up at this stage of the game - multiple saves help to avert some of the damage they can do.

8) Enemies always seem to be able to lock onto you and attack you from well beyond your own weapon lock range - I think it should be possible to manually target enemies as long as they are in visual range - and specific blocks when closer. Maybe there could be some kind of module that does this? Or it could require the presence of a radar?

I'm sure some of these have already been mentioned, and I'm guessing some of this won't be very viable, but these are all things I would like to hopefully see at some point in Terra Tech.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coder

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
You're right.

most of this has been posted more than once.
and the devs have responded.
I'll summarize as best i can:

1. you are stuck with it. I read a thread yesterday, which said the same thing. the devs responded that they liked it that way, and they were keeping it. they want resources you can see. they also responded that it didn't cause lag, addressing that issue.
  2. Yes. ther are whole thread devoted to this. TLDR: coming soon*. Advanced harvester AI is set to collect specific resources.
  3. Yes. planned, as far as i can tell.
  4. anchor button is coming. as is the bug fix for stuff constantly sliding.
  5. This might be doable, but unlikley to happen for 1.0. maybe in the expansion, or terratech 2.0. or a mod.
  6. Everybody in the world has asked for this. opinion varies between 'we'll do it.' to 'we might look at it' depending on the weather :p
  7. Coming.
  8. Manual aim: no. hell no. some kind of target designator to mark priority targets? maybe. That's a popular idea. Robocraft style manual aim is a no.
I'd also suggest using the search function on the forums. you can find more in-depth answers than this.

Admiral Naismith

Jun 20, 2015
You're right.

most of this has been posted more than once.
and the devs have responded.
I'll summarize as best i can:

1. you are stuck with it. I read a thread yesterday, which said the same thing. the devs responded that they liked it that way, and they were keeping it. they want resources you can see. they also responded that it didn't cause lag, addressing that issue.
  2. Yes. ther are whole thread devoted to this. TLDR: coming soon*. Advanced harvester AI is set to collect specific resources.
  3. Yes. planned, as far as i can tell.
  4. anchor button is coming. as is the bug fix for stuff constantly sliding.
  5. This might be doable, but unlikley to happen for 1.0. maybe in the expansion, or terratech 2.0. or a mod.
  6. Everybody in the world has asked for this. opinion varies between 'we'll do it.' to 'we might look at it' depending on the weather :p
  7. Coming.
  8. Manual aim: no. hell no. some kind of target designator to mark priority targets? maybe. That's a popular idea. Robocraft style manual aim is a no.
I'd also suggest using the search function on the forums. you can find more in-depth answers than this.
1) I'm okay with visible resources - though I'm thinking if you have a base with 20 big silos full of resources that might start to affect performance - and that is exactly the kind of thing I might build - so having an option to "close" the silos could be useful. I'm more concerned with parts though - some are huge, so storing them in silos is weird - maybe all parts could be sellable instead (scrapping doesn't work for everything yet, and maybe the finished parts could be worth more then their resources anyway)? But then just storing them in space could also be viable. I just hate the idea of wasting parts by throwing them away, so instead I pile them up forever, and there should be some alternative to that.

2) Okay, that is really good to hear- I've been trying to play using only crafting (only bought a few solars, regen bubbles, and anchors early on before I could make them), and it has been kind of a pain dragging the same resources over and over again - not helped by tractor pads fighting over them.

3) Yes this is good.

4) Also good, and will help with additional base setup.

5) Yeah I thought this might be a bit of a stretch - still going to be good to have though.

6) Well I guess this will happen at some point then if everyone wants to see it, so that's good.

7) Really glad to hear that.

8) A target designator is kind of what I meant actually - basically, if I can see an enemy tech, I can right click on it to target it, instead of waiting to get really close to it for weapons to auto-target - this currently really limits range. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to having certain specific weapons being manually aimable - maybe some advanced weapon from a new corp.

As for search, yeah I didn't look too far before posting this, but I thought I should get the ideas out there - I've since seen a few threads about similar suggestions.

Jamie

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Sep 16, 2014
London, UK
1) I'm okay with visible resources - though I'm thinking if you have a base with 20 big silos full of resources that might start to affect performance - and that is exactly the kind of thing I might build - so having an option to "close" the silos could be useful. I'm more concerned with parts though - some are huge, so storing them in silos is weird - maybe all parts could be sellable instead (scrapping doesn't work for everything yet, and maybe the finished parts could be worth more then their resources anyway)? But then just storing them in space could also be viable. I just hate the idea of wasting parts by throwing them away, so instead I pile them up forever, and there should be some alternative to that.
This is something we can address once we start seeing people build huge bases with sorted resources. To get to that stage though, we need to fix the base disappearing bug and add in filtered conveyors.

IdontRuin

May 27, 2015
My only problem is that silos CAN'T keep my stuff, did you ever try to stack geocorp parts into a silo ? well they don't stay there long if you have more than a handful of them.. you could say that I should just stack them on a tower(I already do this, but after a while the base just becomes a horrible messy forest of "part-trees").

Actually.. even if you stick to GSO parts.. the 2x1 long block from GSO is already overloading the silos if you stack it.. they just fall off everywhere after a while.

Pic related : fooling around in R&D with a "gimme moar GSO long blocks" base..

So yeah, silos are nice for storing materials but for parts.. they are really limited (mostly to stuff that is 1x1x1 as anything bigger will end up falling off after a while)

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
We have a shop block, why not a warehouse block? Like the shop but its all the parts we deposit through the big receivers and some conveyers.

Might be the easiest way to deal with the problem. Could also be able to sell your parts to the shop or even in the future if there are super rare blocks you could sell them to another player through the coming multiplayer.
Decent feature to have for the players to chat, bargain or trade with other players.

Just a thought

Reactions: Coder and ronnbert

Admiral Naismith

Jun 20, 2015
My only problem is that silos CAN'T keep my stuff, did you ever try to stack geocorp parts into a silo ? well they don't stay there long if you have more than a handful of them.. you could say that I should just stack them on a tower(I already do this, but after a while the base just becomes a horrible messy forest of "part-trees").

Actually.. even if you stick to GSO parts.. the 2x1 long block from GSO is already overloading the silos if you stack it.. they just fall off everywhere after a while.

Pic related : fooling around in R&D with a "gimme moar GSO long blocks" base..

So yeah, silos are nice for storing materials but for parts.. they are really limited (mostly to stuff that is 1x1x1 as anything bigger will end up falling off after a while)
This is something we can address once we start seeing people build huge bases with sorted resources. To get to that stage though, we need to fix the base disappearing bug and add in filtered conveyors.
Yeah, silos are okay for resources - unless there are a lot, but I agree, that is an issue for later after some bugs are squashed and bases get better ways to direct resources (really glad to hear about the filters though). But since silos can't hold on to parts (and even if they could, I think it would just look really messy with large parts and be hard to get the right ones out), the only viable way to store parts right now is in massive towers, which also makes it hard to get to the parts you want to take out of them. I know it will take a while, though I'm glad that some ideas for managing parts are being looked at for later.

We have a shop block, why not a warehouse block? Like the shop but its all the parts we deposit through the big receivers and some conveyers.

Might be the easiest way to deal with the problem. Could also be able to sell your parts to the shop or even in the future if there are super rare blocks you could sell them to another player through the coming multiplayer.
Decent feature to have for the players to chat, bargain or trade with other players.

Just a thought
Yeah, the warehouse block is pretty much exactly what I meant by my initial suggestion for this.

reaperx1

Crazed Builder
Feb 25, 2015
Yeah, silos are okay for resources - unless there are a lot, but I agree, that is an issue for later after some bugs are squashed and bases get better ways to direct resources (really glad to hear about the filters though). But since silos can't hold on to parts (and even if they could, I think it would just look really messy with large parts and be hard to get the right ones out), the only viable way to store parts right now is in massive towers, which also makes it hard to get to the parts you want to take out of them. I know it will take a while, though I'm glad that some ideas for managing parts are being looked at for later.

Yeah, the warehouse block is pretty much exactly what I meant by my initial suggestion for this.
The one difference is we all would get yet another block to use with the warehouse idea. Either way the idea should work.

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
Hmm. Single silo with a stack of 10 big boy wheels.
Ouch!

Um, maybe the silo could shrink them down?

Or have a little holographic display of what's in it?

Ncc1702

Nov 10, 2014
Would using a dispenser block work? Have a seven segment display on the side or something similar to indicate how many blocks are stored inside and then just like in R&D the block above them keeps respawning till the number hits zero.

Reactions: Tinywar

Admiral Naismith

Jun 20, 2015
Hmm. Single silo with a stack of 10 big boy wheels.
Ouch!

Um, maybe the silo could shrink them down?

Or have a little holographic display of what's in it?
Shrinking them down does sound like it could work - though I think I like the holographic display idea better. Ideally, it would work like this when parts are in silos, and then there would be some kind of parts warehouse to dump all parts into (or at least a lot more parts than a silo could ever hold).

Would using a dispenser block work? Have a seven segment display on the side or something similar to indicate how many blocks are stored inside and then just like in R&D the block above them keeps respawning till the number hits zero.
That's an interesting idea... it seems like you would need one for each type of block though - or do you mean it could store everything, and then the block dispensed could be switched with right clicking or something? That might make it take too long to withdraw everything though...

Coder

Jun 30, 2015
2) For sorting I'd like something similar to a conveyor sorter block from Space Engineers. It both whitelists/blacklists certain items and restricts item flow direction.

Azirahael

Jan 8, 2015
2) For sorting I'd like something similar to a conveyor sorter block from Space Engineers. It both whitelists/blacklists certain items and restricts item flow direction.
something like this is on its way.

Ncc1702

Nov 10, 2014
I was thinking using one for each block while also making them pricey so theres an investment/tradeoff for hording blocks inside of them