Other planets ...

eti1702

Dec 27, 2016
Hello !!!

I'm don't speak english very well (merci google traduction;)) but I wanted to introduce my idea.

If there was other planets in the game ?

We would have more possibility. For exemple, We could make our space rocket with new blocs and fly to another skies. You could also put a levels in the planets for the difficulty of the enemies and boss. We could have a new resources and a new vehicles with the planets ...

I think that this idea is Interesting and I had to share this idea.

Goodbye :)

Reactions: Exund and Doctype

Mindl3ss

Mindless Dominion Fleet Admiral
Nov 5, 2015
been cooking this idea up for multiplayer. everyone starts on their own planet, and tech exists for an interplanetary launch. You can send a tech to another players planet (like an invader) but you control it and can start invading their turf. some form of ui function would allow you to switch between techs across different planets. just a grandiose idea for the distant future of terratech. mull it over.

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
been cooking this idea up for multiplayer. everyone starts on their own planet, and tech exists for an interplanetary launch. You can send a tech to another players planet (like an invader) but you control it and can start invading their turf. some form of ui function would allow you to switch between techs across different planets. just a grandiose idea for the distant future of terratech. mull it over.

This concept seems to not be within the spirit of the established narrative of TerraTech (from its opening cut scene to what little presently exists of written preamble) and would probably be quite nightmarish at a coding level. What would lend itself more closely to current gameplay when multiplayer is implemented would be a significant distance (probably in the order of 10,000 or even 20,000 coordinate value) starting positions with *no one* starting at coordinate zero x zero y.

To the original poster's initial post I do agree "More Possibility" would be quite enjoyable; probably the easiest example of which would be an Arctic / Polar Style with Swamplands / Marshes being slightly more challenging at a coding / visual level..

Mindl3ss

Mindless Dominion Fleet Admiral
Nov 5, 2015
meh, as i said its grandiose. i kinda figure it would be a coding nightmare.

eti1702

Dec 27, 2016
no I thought a gameplay slightly resembling at astroneer and no man's sky ( but better at no man's sky :)), a gameplay more coop and not pvp.

Last edited:
P

Pink Kitty

As much as i love astroneer, it's a different game with a different focus.

That having been said, i think multiple planets would be possible in a much simpler way.
When whatever goal we get given is achieved on this planet, we could build a spaceship.

this spaceship would be a tech, with one or more specific blocks attached to make it a 'spaceship'.
And we'd have a mission 'leave planet'.

This mission would be achieved when we reach a specific height. say, 10000m, and we can no longer see the ground.
The world saves, and a new screen opens.
We select a new planet, and new seed, possibly with a list of missions to achieve. Possibly with user-created goals.
The game creates the new planet, with the new biomes, and we appear 10000m off the ground and must land.
Essentially a new game with new starting conditions.

And if we leave again, the original planet/save is on the list to go to.
This would take some coding work of course, but hopefully not a complete engine rebuild.

Waddaya think?

Mr-Vagabond

Dec 21, 2015
personnaly, I kinda like the idea, we can make bloc less "obligatory" juste create, on the ground something like a "space station" and change planet as long as we have that in ground AND reach 10 000m.

Darkstar076

Needz Moar Dakka!
Jan 21, 2016
TL;DR version
The suggestion from my son - Planets are used for a single player campaign where you have to defeat the bad guy who wants to take over all the worlds.

Translation: think of a RTS campaign map, instead of territories, you have planets. Each planet has a end boss / base which must be defeated before you can progress.

The long winded version:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night my son had the same suggestion after asking the age old question "Why?"

The question came when we had maxed out on a campaign. He had the biggest baddest tech on the planet and while he enjoyed blowing everything up that once would destroy him, the fun factor dropped quickly as the challenge was now gone. So i suggested that he start a new game and build all over again.

"Why?"

Umm, so you can have the challenge of not being the most powerful.

"Why - its just going to be the same?"

At this point I was stuck so i turned it around and asked, what do you suggest. At this point I will not post the random ramblings that occurred between myself and my 8 yo son. But after a few hours of discussion and getting in trouble from the other half of staying up past bed time he came up with his idea.

Now I have already mentioned to him that they are still creating the game and ideas like this will have to come afterwards but he was adamant that I post it now. So as promised, here is my son's suggestion for Terra Tech for consideration:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More planets in Terra Tech:
The player starts out on this planet and builds themselves up as per normal. Once they hit max level in any tech a new event is spawned. "Investigate Strange Object / landing site" At this location, the player comes across a boss level "Bad Guy Tech". Once defeated the player learns of a inter planet menace (aka story).

New option - leave planet. Harvest enough material to build transport device to get off planet to the space station where you have been selling the resources. Suggestions ranged from building a rocket to teleport device.

Once you leave planet you have the campaign map where you have the option of selecting your sponsor (one of the corporations) and then choosing a planet to go to.

Each planet has a different assortment of corporations, terrains, difficulty levels, environmental hazards, objective to complete etc.

When you go to a new planet, you keep the licence of your sponsor but your other licences are revoked (because you are not working for them)

Each planet offers a new clue to the inter planet menace, giving you a reason to start over again on a new planet.

Eventually you have enough clues / story to confront the menace and have an epic showdown.

After this story line is closed, there will be options of small side quests from corporations (ie, destroy other corporations planet installation / control x number trading stations by building outposts at each etc)

More story lines can be created by players or purchased from Payload Studios

And there you have it. While its not a new idea as most if not all sandbox games have some sort of main thread for you to follow. To me I like how he has incorporated the "fun" of starting over again with a reason to do it using a overarching plot.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

Dellamorte

Feb 10, 2015
Cairns, Australia
This would require a lot of work to get into the game. It could require even more work to get a proper feel to it rather than being a tacked on after thought. I think this is a good idea and has come up a number of times before and the usual statement from the devs is "it is too far out of the scope of the game as it stands" it maybe something they would look at for a sequel/follow up game but not for TerraTech.

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
TL;DR version
The suggestion from my son - Planets are used for a single player campaign where you have to defeat the bad guy who wants to take over all the worlds.
Related Thread Located here: http://forum.terratechgame.com/index.php?threads/suggestion-bosses.10225/#post-62371

New option - leave planet. Harvest enough material to build transport device to get off planet to the space station where you have been selling the resources. Suggestions ranged from building a rocket to teleport device.

Once you leave planet you have the campaign map where you have the option of selecting your sponsor (one of the corporations) and then choosing a planet to go to.

Each planet has a different assortment of corporations, terrains, difficulty levels, environmental hazards, objective to complete etc.

When you go to a new planet, you keep the licence of your sponsor but your other licences are revoked (because you are not working for them)

Each planet offers a new clue to the inter planet menace, giving you a reason to start over again on a new planet.

Eventually you have enough clues / story to confront the menace and have an epic showdown.

After this story line is closed, there will be options of small side quests from corporations (ie, destroy other corporations planet installation / control x number trading stations by building outposts at each etc)

More story lines can be created by players or purchased from Payload Studios.
I happen to like this concept despite it bearing eerie similarity to the core functionality of Astroneer. (A title which your son may or may not enjoy; as far as I am aware there are no enemy AI with which to contend. The Additional stories component of this would open the door for Additional content based DLC's and if they incorporated wholly original biomes for each planet @Jason Howard & @Zeena would most likely welcome and enjoy the opportunity and these additional planet(s) could serve as the base of operations for additional corporations such as Better future / Reticule Research.

And there you have it. While its not a new idea as most if not all sandbox games have some sort of main thread for you to follow. To me I like how he has incorporated the "fun" of starting over again with a reason to do it using a overarching plot.

Anyways, thanks for reading.
Overall I like this concept despite its singular Persian flaw of the SCU block whose fundamental concept somewhat hampers the concept of a completely fresh start on a new world.

Darkstar076

Needz Moar Dakka!
Jan 21, 2016
This would require a lot of work to get into the game. It could require even more work to get a proper feel to it rather than being a tacked on after thought. I think this is a good idea and has come up a number of times before and the usual statement from the devs is "it is too far out of the scope of the game as it stands" it maybe something they would look at for a sequel/follow up game but not for TerraTech.
As mentioned earlier, he understands that this kind of thing is a long way off.
However I still agree with his point, once you max out your tech - then what ?

I hope the devs put some form of a campaign at or after V1.0 which gives you something to do after you max out

Last edited:
Reactions: Zed

{insert_name_here}

[REDACTED]
Mar 15, 2017
nowhere
That having been said, i think multiple planets would be possible in a much simpler way.
When whatever goal we get given is achieved on this planet, we could build a spaceship.

this spaceship would be a tech, with one or more specific blocks attached to make it a 'spaceship'.
And we'd have a mission 'leave planet'.

This mission would be achieved when we reach a specific height. say, 10000m, and we can no longer see the ground.
The world saves, and a new screen opens.
We select a new planet, and new seed, possibly with a list of missions to achieve. Possibly with user-created goals.
The game creates the new planet, with the new biomes, and we appear 10000m off the ground and must land.
Essentially a new game with new starting conditions.

And if we leave again, the original planet/save is on the list to go to.
This would take some coding work of course, but hopefully not a complete engine rebuild.

I know that it would take a lot of coding, but if the devs spend an entire update on making this function, then I think that it would work, using Pink Kitty's strategy. New planets would add a new layer of difficulty, open up new possibilities, new corporations etc.... and it would be very fun to play. Yes, it would take a while, but if the devs use something like this as the basis for something like v1.0 (because 1.0 was always going to be a big update) then I think it would make TerraTech a lot more fun.

P

Pink Kitty

This is something that happens in every sandbox game.

'Getting all the stuff' keeps you going for a good while.
But once you have all the stuff, you need something to do with it

Space Engineers is a classic.
First you build a small base to survive. Then you mine a bit, to build a decent miner.
Then you upgrade your ore processing and fabrication.
Then, you build the inevitable base-ship.
To do... What?

To give the game context, all this build-up needs to be in service of something.
Those who want a true sandbox experience can just ignore it, and stuff around.
But the game itself needs an overall goal.
Even if a lot of folks never bother with it.

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
This is so frequently posted the first person to post about it probably died of old age by now (metaphor). And though every (as I'll call them) Space-Post fluctuates a bit most have initially the same goal... space.

And though this suggestion is acclaimed to be a coding nightmare I think the devs could be forced to do it at some point. And I'm not just being pushy, this is something that EVERYONE wants (along with water and stuff). So the real question is, how?

We already have rockets and we could make a decent spaceship by using propellers half of the way and then rockets the rest of the way so the question still remains, how do we do it?
Perhaps as an option after the suggested feature "bosses" if added the player could have a dialogue box offered to them where they could choose to "start over" on other planets (perhaps the bases of Reticule Research / Better Future) or in space itself; @Mottflyer TSN could even have their own "Waterworld" as an option. Both of these options would help Terratech's commercial supremacy over direct competitors such as The Last Leviathan (Water) or Lightspeed Frontier (Space)

I'm not giving my ideas because I have too many but there are probably a lot of them out there. PinkKitty's is quite innovative but in my opinion a little bit lacking. I mean her idea of space travel kind of reminds me of that Minecraft mod (if anyone here ever played Minecraft) allowed you to travel to Mars and stuff, it was cool but a little bit lacking.
Starmade is the defacto standard of Voxel-based Space gaming.

Then there's the "classic" idea of just going there and though it is cool, as people here have said many times, it would be a programming nightmare. In my opinion that seems a little bit exaggerated but I'm too busy with school to program so what would I know. Either way this option is good but it would require a lot of coffee.

So in the end the most probable solution to getting the devs to make space travel in TT would be a mix of the "classic" solution and PinkKitty's or maybe something new entirely.

Though, if there's one thing I have to say, I do not like the idea of your tech getting in a spaceship when it could BECOME a spaceship, for quite a few reasons this seems redundant. It would be like a spaceship for a spaceship... IDK it seems strange, like if I wanted to go somewhere I hopped in someone's mouth and they walked me there.

But after all, it is questionable that we will get this at all so it's probably up to the devs, the coders to be exact. I hope one of them sees this forum, then they can give us their opinions on space travel. Either way, it's a good idea in general.

Stay Zesty
(Sig)
I too hope the development team reviews these suggestions for upcoming expansion packs after Terratech 1.0 makes its commercial debut.

Reactions: Doctype

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
I think your first critique was very creative, well done. I also like your idea of a water-world, I never would have thought of such a thing myself but I think that -at some point- needs to happen. Though, I do have one question... What did you man by ?

Starmade is the defacto standard of Voxel-based Space gaming
Simply that; It was mostly a comment regarding your mentioning of a Minecraft mod which attempted to approximate an environment in outer space at which point I deemed it appropriate to mention Starmade which is still completely free to try while it remains in alpha. While both Minecraft and Starmade are both Voxel based; Starmade's logic system puts Minecraft's redstone system to utter shame in terms of versatility, capability, and complexity.

Zed

Dec 23, 2016
Lol sorry, I meant Galacticraft. From what I could tell PinkKitty was thinking of something along the lines of that.
Just googled Galacticraft.... looks like a duplo version of starmade.

Reactions: Doctype

GamerParrish

Aug 14, 2016
In a Tank Tinkering
The idea is great, the work is impossible. The amount of work required would not kidding, take 3 times the amount of time to get multiplayer. It took 3 years to get hawkeye. Do you want a new planet, new blocks, and all of this? This seems too much