Opinions on 1.0.1.3

Discussion in 'TT Unstable Bugs' started by Soviet_Samuelson, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Getting a permit to life in a jolly box

I do like the new heli controls, unlike most people. they do however have one fatal flaw (and likely a bug): the heli controls are unable to be reduced in the Y Axis, leading to a hard time with the testing of my airborne aircraft carrier. Maybe there should be an checkbox for the acceleration controls/an edit of the old controls?

I have not yet tried out the airplane controls, but i have high hopes for what it may be like

The car controls are good, but if you could use strafe to move diagonally while moving forward/backward, that would be spicy.

I also haven't use the hover controls yet, but i will.

2. Lord Zarnox

Lord Zarnox Founder of the IFTTES

From what I've heard (since I obviously still cant play the game), I have come to the conclusion that this is an imposter of the fabled controls update.
    It even killed the glorious hoverbug. Turns out it didn't... Hmm... Well, this is awkward.
    [​IMG]

#2 Lord Zarnox, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Soviet_Samuelson likes this.
  3. Sozin

Sozin Well-Known Member

Hovering at a set height is impossible. You go straight from enough lift to shoot up to plummeting down. Wtah is this asdf. Active controls and height management with any props are fine if finnicky, but holding altitude is impossible. Was this feature actually playtested?

Also linear engines don’t provide vertical lift. If they do it’s such a pathetically tiny amount it’s negligible.

Air brakes and the stabilizer AI are good additions and work as advertised.

Soviet_Samuelson and Lord Zarnox like this.
  4. zanzistar

zanzistar PAYLOAD STUDIOS

I wasn't having too much trouble hovering at more or less the same height, it is hard to find a balance point, but once you're close it seemed ok to me. Did you try using some of the nicely built Helicopters on Steam Workshop? They are what I used to test it.

Yeah, Linear Motion Engines are built to be used with Anti-gravity Techs. Give them a go with them, they might still need a buff.

Soviet_Samuelson, kae and Lord Zarnox like this.
  5. Falchoin

Falchoin Well-Known Member

Will the power draw on the anti-gravity blocks be lowered? Running two of the larger anti-grav blocks runs medium sized techs out of power in 3-4 minutes.

And the best use of the Linear Motion Engines I've found so far is for planes and helicopters to use as a throttle, since it also controls all the other movement blocks in the same axis. Though if you're using the Hawkeye rotors, you won't need to since that functionality seems built in.

Lord Zarnox likes this.
  6. Sozin

Sozin Well-Known Member

Figured as much. Tried putting a couple GSO blocks in the small antigravity field. Took twice the volume of the GSO blocks in linear motion engines to lift it.
    It’s less ridiculous with the large antigravity field, but it still takes far more than it should, considering one engine is enough to drive a car on the ground.

Soviet_Samuelson and Lord Zarnox like this.
  7. zanzistar

@Falchoin, yep! I've already reduced the energy consumption on AGEs by 50%.

@Sozin, cool, I'll have a look and buff the LME power tomorrow.

Cheers both!

Galrex, Soviet_Samuelson and Falchoin like this.
  8. Falchoin

Falchoin Well-Known Member

I’ll have to play with it but I suspect I’ll be sticking with rotors and ion drives for lift with a linear motion engine (or more if they become useful for actual lift) for the throttle when it comes to hovers and airships. I really dislike the idea of an airship becoming grounded and most likely immobile because it has no power.

9. Sozin

Sozin Well-Known Member

@zanzistar

I played around with the unstable build a little more and I would double check the stabilizer computer's code

It works almost perfectly on the horizontal axes, but not on the vertical axes. It tries to keep it at altitude, but it underestimates the thrust needed, and so any airship/helicopter with it installed eventually falls. In the attached save, The super-tiny helicopter served as my testbed.

Attached Files:

10. zanzistar

@Sozin Yeah, the Stabilizer Computer doesn't play friendly with the Rotors on a Throttled vertical axis yet (left). You can get some results by mixing props and rotors on the lift.

Because the idea of the stabiliser is to hold steady when no input is detected, there's a bit of a conflict with throttled rotors, for example:

- I set my helicopter to 50% throttle which makes it climb.
    - I add a stabaliser.
    - I'm not giving active input at the moment, but my throttle is set to 50%, should the stabiliser try to counteract that throttle, should it take over and remove my input? does throttled input count as active input?

It's only our first outing for the stabiliser and for throttled rotors so we'll sit on it for a little bit and see what we think before coming down on one side or the other.

Sozin and Soviet_Samuelson like this.
  11. Soviet_Samuelson

Soviet_Samuelson Getting a permit to life in a jolly box

Make a new control for it? It only appears when tou are in heli mode and have rotors and a stabiliy cpu, so people who dont know about it and dont have it dont get confused

12. Sozin

Sozin Well-Known Member

As a suggestion, you could have full counteraction, but only when you are not actively pressing the throttle up or down keys.
    (i.e. throttled input is not active input, which is what is currently in the game, only there's , approx, 90% counteraction)

What that would result in is:
    Note: This is using my Airship control scheme, with Up arrow and Down arrow controlling the vertical axis

To Hover:
    -start on ground
    -press and hold up arrow until the throttle goes to +100 to go up (computer does not counteract)
    -release up arrow, computer immediately starts trying to stop ascent
    -If still going up, have too much rotor thrust, press and hold down until maybe +50 ish? (computer does not counteract)
    -release down arrow, computer immediately starts counteracting movement, be it up or down

To Land:
    -Press and hold down arrow
    -Release before you smash into the ground, Computer will try to stabilize
    OR anchor

That'd result in relatively smooth controls IMO, and completely worth it
    The purpose of the throttle here is to decide how fast you want the rotors to spin (for purely aesthetic reasons) while not affecting function