Omnidirectional adjustment hovers.

桂桃~

Even when stacked, I feel like adjustment hovers don't give enough of a boost to manoeuvrability on larger builds. I think a lot of this comes from the fact that despite having 4 or 5 directions of thrust, the number of directions limits the power that can be drawn out. For example, imagine 4 GeoCorp adjustment hover placed in the corners on the underside of a tech or on the sides. In the former case, all 4 hovers activate when turning, increasing the turning speed significantly. However, roll is limited as there is only downwards facing hovers. On the other hand, placing the hovers on the sides enables rolling, with all 4 activating when inputting a roll direction, but when turning, only the two on opposing corners activate. Basically, turning power in this scenario is sacrificed for more roll manoeuvrability and vice versa.

Which is why I want to propose a 2*2*2 omnidirectional adjustment thruster with a full 24 attachment points. Even if the power of such an item is only double of the Better Future Large Adjustment Hovers (Based on volume), it will have 4 times the power in effect. Furthermore, it is extremely tileable and can be incorporated into many designs without changing the structure to accommodate the hovers. I've always seen the adjustment thrusters in game now as something to be put on the outside of a flying tech so it does somewhat irk me that they are often stuffed inside. Based on its structure, I think this item would work well in GeoCorp or Hawkeye corporations.

Sea_Kerman

IRL, (and in kerbal Space Program) placement of Reaction Control System thrusters is a complex problem.

Redlegdaddy

Think of your thrusters as force on a lever, the further from the center the greater the effect of the thruster on the lever. If you really want to increase the turning of a big tech stick the thrusters further out from the center, the further they are the faster it will turn.

桂桃~

Think of your thrusters as force on a lever, the further from the center the greater the effect of the thruster on the lever. If you really want to increase the turning of a big tech stick the thrusters further out from the center, the further they are the faster it will turn.
I fully understand what you are saying, I think my point may have been misunderstood.

Perhaps these images would help to better illustrate my idea. You see, in case 1, there is a lot of thrust that works to turn the tech, all 4 thrusters fire. On the other hand, in the second case, only two thrusters are really putting in work to turn the tech, resulting in a slower turn speed. However, the thruster layout in the second case allows you to pitch and roll the tech (more significant with anti-gravy techs), to a greater degree than in case 1, with the same reasoning that more pitch/roll thrust directions can be accessed in case 2.

As for the indications that the thrusters are turning in more than one direction, this is actually quite insignificant as it only truly helps on a squarish tech due to the lever effect you mentioned.

I would also like to point out that if you were to use the BF thrusters and stacked them horizontally, it offers both strong turning and strong pitch/roll but doesn't aid forward/backward motion. I'm not a fan of this wasted potential and the tradeoffs necessitated.

Attachments