Omni-DirectionL Multi-Functional Wheel - GSO

Gameslinx

So from looking at the wonky exp wheels, I came up with an idea.

Because they're very rare from me, aren't they. (Sarcasm)

So anyway, jokes aside, I think a 360° wheel should be added. A bit like a grippy ball.

Think about it.

The rubber ball sits in a tight circle with an axis going through the middle of the ball. The tight circle should connect to the surrounding parts with its own axle, 90° rotated to the first so the wheel can turn 360°. This would be interesting because, as well as being practical, it would provide a good support for hovercraft.

As well as this addition, Translation should be added too.

Instead of moving by turning round, holding TAB whilst pressing WAS or D should move the tech in the direction. Instead of rotating clockwise by pressing D, it would translate to the right (Facing the same direction but moving horizontally to the right)

Hope this is considered, thanks

Smoovious Laxness

wish I had those wheels in Rocket League...

seriously tho, you need a totally flat area to use those... hills/inclines would be problematic.

-- Smoov

P

Pink Kitty

Offroad versions:

I figure, given that they only roll, they could just roll forwards and backwards, and have an invisible wheel with like a 90 degree turning angle, that actually does the work!
no sense trying to animate/physics it!

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
Eh, IDK. I think these would be more fitting for Legion or for Hawkeye. Or maybe even for Reticule Research or Venture

But not for GeoCorp. These sorts of wheels don't seem very heavy duty to me. They look more futuristic.

zanzistar

PAYLOAD STUDIOS
Eh, IDK. I think these would be more fitting for Legion or for Hawkeye. Or maybe even for Reticule Research or Venture

But not for GeoCorp. These sorts of wheels don't seem very heavy duty to me. They look more futuristic.
Maybe you're right... I want to get them in sooner though. Maybe I'll leave them for later on.

P

Pink Kitty

Here's another vid, showing them looking a little less industrial:

And here's a tank track version too!:

And here's how they work:

Not as complex as i thought :p
I originally assumed they were independently powered, but they're not.
What's weird, is there's no super tech in these things, just rollers and bearings.
These could have been invented in WW1, rather than in the 70's.

Someone just had to think... of... it...

Hang on.

Oh, and you can get them for lego:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/6SUCUZ8NK/lego-reg-compatible-mecanum-wheels

Gameslinx

Here's another vid, showing them looking a little less industrial:

And here's a tank track version too!:

And here's how they work:

Not as complex as i thought :p
I originally assumed they were independently powered, but they're not.
What's weird, is there's no super tech in these things, just rollers and bearings.
These could have been invented in WW1, rather than in the 70's.

Someone just had to think... of... it...

Hang on.

Oh, and you can get them for lego:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/6SUCUZ8NK/lego-reg-compatible-mecanum-wheels
Video #2 is exactly what i'm suggesting!

Digiton

I think the 'mecanum' wheels would be best suited in reticule research, as they look kinda weird, and someone who hasn't looked it up probably would never know how they work.

Also, the mecanum wheels can go sideways (that's basically why they're so awesome), though it They can go sideways, but they can also turn. How could anyone possibly control that with a keyboard?

The same goes for the ball-joints. How would you control it? Would it even have motors? Why am I spending three and a half hours on figuring this out? What am I doing with my life?

streak1

Website
steamcommunity.com
I think the 'mecanum' wheels would be best suited in reticule research, as they look kinda weird, and someone who hasn't looked it up probably would never know how they work.

Also, the mecanum wheels can go sideways (that's basically why they're so awesome), though it They can go sideways, but they can also turn. How could anyone possibly control that with a keyboard?

The same goes for the ball-joints. How would you control it? Would it even have motors? Why am I spending three and a half hours on figuring this out? What am I doing with my life?
I'm thinking the same thing. They are a cool idea and all, but they would need a completely redone control system to work.

Though, new keybinds is something that the game could use anyway, so I don't think it is a big deal. However, I wonder how this would work when considering that they could potentially be mixed with regular wheels and stuff.

Gameslinx

I'm thinking the same thing. They are a cool idea and all, but they would need a completely redone control system to work.

Though, new keybinds is something that the game could use anyway, so I don't think it is a big deal. However, I wonder how this would work when considering that they could potentially be mixed with regular wheels and stuff.
Maybe a toggle mode could be added for those wheels. Maybe you could press <A button> to toggle sideways mode on or off. On = translation movement. Off = standard wheels

harpo99999

ah kick till it starts
(this suggestion is for the mecanum type wheels only) one key move in that direction, two keys(except opposite directions) move in the average of the directions ie.. front & left move forward to the left, back & right move to back and right, turning could be the opposites with turn direction from first pressed eg press and hold left & then press & hold right spins to left

Digiton

Now that I think about it, the Mecanum wheels could be controlled by the mouse;
Rotate camera angle = rotate Tech along with it.

This would get in the way with building though.
What if you press a certain keybind and your Tech (with Mecanum wheels of course) will then rotate to match your camera angle?

I don't know, it would still be quite messy.

P

Pink Kitty

You're missing the point.

Mechanum wheels can be easily simulated, and controlled, without changing anything.

All you do is have 2 parts.
1: a cool, shiny mechanum-looking wheel, that rolls forwards and backwards, and nothing else. it does nothing except window-dressing, and collision.
2: an invisible wheel, that has a really huge turning angle, like 90 degrees. this wheel handles the driving.

No special controls, just a wheel with awesome manoeuverability, no side slipping.

later on, a 'strafe' key could be added, allowing all wheels to turn the same way, allowing wheels to side-slip. These mechanum wheels, and otherwise.
opr